ADVERTISEMENT

7 Years Old & 1 Month tomorrow

WASH ST A&M FAN

Head Coach
Sep 4, 2002
ESPN analyst Ed Cunningham isn’t on the Mike Leach bandwagon

By Michael Simeona

The hiring of new Washington State coach Mike Leach has been hailed as ‘perfect’ by many reporters and football analysts around the country. But for Ed Cunningham, a former Husky who works as a college football analyst for ESPN, he thinks the hiring of Leach was nothing more than ‘terrible’.

“I think it’s a dangerous hire because if things don’t work out you’re likely to get flapped with a lawsuit,” Cunningham told the “Brock & Salk Show” on Thursday. “Secondly, I think that the wheels may have been a little wobbly at the end of [his tenure] at Texas Tech.”

After ten successful seasons in Lubbock, Leach was fired for refusing to apologize to a player (Adam James, son of ESPN analyst Craig James) after telling him to stand in an equipment room while feeling the after effects of a concussion. Leach subsequently filed lawsuits against the university for wrongful termination, and the ESPN network for slander and libel.

While the hiring of Leach has already invigorated the fanbase over in Pullman – thanks in part to a huge boost in donations and ticket sales – Cunningham believes that any coach could have improved the football program.

“I understand the kind of splashy idea of it, but this is a guy coming in with a lot of barnacles and a lot of question marks in my mind,” Cunningham said. “I think you could have gone and gotten a FCS-level or non-AQ-level coach to come to Washington State because the Pac-12 is a big deal! The money that’s around this conference now is a significant deal – the Pac-12 is a player financially now.

“Even though Washington State may not be seen as a prime team in the Pac-12, I think you could get a guy that is ready to step into the prime of his career.”

That statement won’t sit nicely with Cougar fans who vividly remember Paul Wulff’s tenure on the Palouse (9-40 in four seasons) after a successful coaching run at FCS-level Eastern Washington (53-40). The Cougars needed someone to revive a program that had fallen on hard times, and hiring a coach with an unproven track record in the FBS wouldn’t have sat well with the proud alumni base.

But Cunningham made a point that Leach’s control over a football program, citing his time as head coach of the Red Raiders, started to wear on not only the players, but the coaches as well.

“I happened to know, that he completely lost control of the program – a lot of the players [were] wondering what was going on,” Cunningham explained. “He’s going to have a very difficult time hiring a defensive staff. That side of the building was very unhappy at the end. The coaching circle is tiny – everybody knows everybody – so it gets out that the guy is difficult to work for as a defensive coach.”

Success in college football is defined by winning, and not many coaches have done that better than Mike Leach. Leach’s career record as head coach (84-43) is enough for most, if not all Cougar fans to forget about his controversial past, but Cunningham believes his coaching style will wear on the program, eventually.

“Long term, I don’t think it’s the right solve,” said Cunningham.

“I think Mike Leach’s time as a head coach is over, and I think Washington State really stretched on this hire.”

By Michael Simeona

The hiring of new Washington State coach Mike Leach has been hailed as ‘perfect’ by many reporters and football analysts around the country. But for Ed Cunningham, a former Husky who works as a college football analyst for ESPN, he thinks the hiring of Leach was nothing more than ‘terrible’.

“I think it’s a dangerous hire because if things don’t work out you’re likely to get flapped with a lawsuit,” Cunningham told the “Brock & Salk Show” on Thursday. “Secondly, I think that the wheels may have been a little wobbly at the end of [his tenure] at Texas Tech.”

After ten successful seasons in Lubbock, Leach was fired for refusing to apologize to a player (Adam James, son of ESPN analyst Craig James) after telling him to stand in an equipment room while feeling the after effects of a concussion. Leach subsequently filed lawsuits against the university for wrongful termination, and the ESPN network for slander and libel.

While the hiring of Leach has already invigorated the fanbase over in Pullman – thanks in part to a huge boost in donations and ticket sales – Cunningham believes that any coach could have improved the football program.

“I understand the kind of splashy idea of it, but this is a guy coming in with a lot of barnacles and a lot of question marks in my mind,” Cunningham said. “I think you could have gone and gotten a FCS-level or non-AQ-level coach to come to Washington State because the Pac-12 is a big deal! The money that’s around this conference now is a significant deal – the Pac-12 is a player financially now.

“Even though Washington State may not be seen as a prime team in the Pac-12, I think you could get a guy that is ready to step into the prime of his career.”

That statement won’t sit nicely with Cougar fans who vividly remember Paul Wulff’s tenure on the Palouse (9-40 in four seasons) after a successful coaching run at FCS-level Eastern Washington (53-40). The Cougars needed someone to revive a program that had fallen on hard times, and hiring a coach with an unproven track record in the FBS wouldn’t have sat well with the proud alumni base.

But Cunningham made a point that Leach’s control over a football program, citing his time as head coach of the Red Raiders, started to wear on not only the players, but the coaches as well.

“I happened to know, that he completely lost control of the program – a lot of the players [were] wondering what was going on,” Cunningham explained. “He’s going to have a very difficult time hiring a defensive staff. That side of the building was very unhappy at the end. The coaching circle is tiny – everybody knows everybody – so it gets out that the guy is difficult to work for as a defensive coach.”

Success in college football is defined by winning, and not many coaches have done that better than Mike Leach. Leach’s career record as head coach (84-43) is enough for most, if not all Cougar fans to forget about his controversial past, but Cunningham believes his coaching style will wear on the program, eventually.

“I think Mike Leach’s time as a head coach is over, and I think Washington State really stretched on this hire.”

"Leach isn't going to get it done," Spongebob.

Reactions: WASH ST A&M FAN

By Michael Simeona

Thanks for the amusement, A&M. Enjoyed reading that.

Problem is that this article is slander. Reposting it for recruits to read, makes it look like James was actually placed in a closet. We all know now that this was pattently false and that Craig James was trying to get Leach fired. The ultimate helicopter dad with a powerful mic.

Problem is that this article is slander. Reposting it for recruits to read, makes it look like James was actually placed in a closet. We all know now that this was pattently false and that Craig James was trying to get Leach fired. The ultimate helicopter dad with a powerful mic.

That would be a problem if recruits or anybody for that matter actually knew who Ed Cunningham or even Craig James even was at this point and why their opinion ever mattered.

Think about it, current recruits were in grade school when that article was written.

James' and Cunningham's next door neighbors probably do not even ask their opinion about anything of importance anymore.

Reading the Leach book, Swing Your Sword and then watching the Chris Fowler interview of Leach on YouTube, it is clear in my mind that Craig James and his kid are Liars. Ed Cunningham’s opinion of Leach and prediction of him not succeeding at WSU proved to be percent false. Cunningham is a total clown imo.

JMO, but I think making fun of Ed Cunningham is always a good move.

CJK5H.

Reactions: WASH ST A&M FAN
People are saying that Ed Cunningham helped Craig James kill 5 hookers. Lots of people are saying that. Is it true? I don't know, but it might be true!

Reactions: ATACFD
Ed Cunningham is the textbook example of a “tpycally dillusional husky idiot” who still believes the proven cheater Don James was a pure as the driven snow and could always walk on water.

Deep down inside, Husky Honks like Cunningham were probably fearful of WSU hiring a successful coach like Mike Leach and that he would turn the program around, which would present a threat to UW. Of course he would've been more positive had they hired another FCS coach or someone who had yet to prove themselves. It would be interesting to confront Cunningham today with this article and his original comments....see what he has to say now.

Glad Cougar

Reactions: earldacoug
Deep down inside, Husky Honks like Cunningham were probably fearful of WSU hiring a successful coach like Mike Leach and that he would turn the program around, which would present a threat to UW. Of course he would've been more positive had they hired another FCS coach or someone who had yet to prove themselves. It would be interesting to confront Cunningham today with this article and his original comments....see what he has to say now.

Glad Cougar
Same BS you would hear from any other DBag UW fan. That the only game that matters is the AC, so leach is a failure because he hasn’t won one in a while.

Guys like this make me appreciate Brock even more. I know some people on here don’t like him, but he’s pretty unbiased in his coverage of both schools and I would say in certain ways heaps more praise on WSU and is more critical of UW.

Ed isn’t able to look beyond his purple underoos to give anyone thoughtful insight. Probably why I haven’t heard from him in a while, is he even an analyst/commentator any more?

Reactions: 79COUG
I forget the particulars of the concussion locker story, but I'd venture that anybody who made it to the D1 HC level has had a million interactions with disgruntled players and parents.

The difference here seems to be motivation: CJK5H was motivated, relentless and had a pulpit.

I can't imagine there's anyone right now roaming the D1 sidelines whose career wouldn't be threatened by a misunderstanding or a non-issue with bad optics. Most of them have just been lucky enough not to cross paths with a motivated, psychotic parent.

Glad Cougar
Terrifying parity.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT