ADVERTISEMENT

98 Rose Bowl

BleedCrimsonandGray

Hall Of Fame
Oct 2, 2007
Since the last thread devolved into which team would beat which, I went down a rabbit hole on that team and ended up watching the last drive of the Rose Bowl. (FWIW, I was trying to find video of the game that Leaf went beastmode on that guy in the backfield before completing a pass).

What I ended up finding was a bunch of UM sore winners crying about "the PI that didn't get called against Taylor." Seriously, to read all the comments out there you'd think that they lost the game. Upon review, I could see that call going either way but that might be my crimson colored glasses; I've seen plays where the db stops and impedes the WR get called as DPI before, but Taylor does appear to extend his arms. These days thats just football, imho (I see WRs push off just about every play it seems).

Then, of course, I sat and rewatched the final play and I still have no idea why the ref let the clock run. I mean, it started before that when he wanted to rob us of a second after the penalty and we basically had to refuse to play until they fixed it. Then, the hook and ladder ended with THREE seconds on the clock and the whistles blew it dead at three, where it paused and then mysteriously was started again to put it to TWO. (that could have been the tv crew not keeping up with the clock in the stadium). Leaf gets under center, waits for the whistle, immediately spikes it at which time there is one second and the Ref waives his hands as if to stop the clock, then he waves in front signaling dead ball. Then he runs off. Still have no idea what happened there or why it happened.

Since the last thread devolved into which team would beat which, I went down a rabbit hole on that team and ended up watching the last drive of the Rose Bowl. (FWIW, I was trying to find video of the game that Leaf went beastmode on that guy in the backfield before completing a pass).

What I ended up finding was a bunch of UM sore winners crying about "the PI that didn't get called against Taylor." Seriously, to read all the comments out there you'd think that they lost the game. Upon review, I could see that call going either way but that might be my crimson colored glasses; I've seen plays where the db stops and impedes the WR get called as DPI before, but Taylor does appear to extend his arms. These days thats just football, imho (I see WRs push off just about every play it seems).

Then, of course, I sat and rewatched the final play and I still have no idea why the ref let the clock run. I mean, it started before that when he wanted to rob us of a second after the penalty and we basically had to refuse to play until they fixed it. Then, the hook and ladder ended with THREE seconds on the clock and the whistles blew it dead at three, where it paused and then mysteriously was started again to put it to TWO. (that could have been the tv crew not keeping up with the clock in the stadium). Leaf gets under center, waits for the whistle, immediately spikes it at which time there is one second and the Ref waives his hands as if to stop the clock, then he waves in front signaling dead ball. Then he runs off. Still have no idea what happened there or why it happened.
I was so pissed. Was sitting on the 35 yard line at the top of the stadium. Michigan fans all over the field and no chance to get the hell out of that piece of shit venue in a timely manner. So I went over the top into a eucalyptus tree and climbed down.

I was so pissed. Was sitting on the 35 yard line at the top of the stadium. Michigan fans all over the field and no chance to get the hell out of that piece of shit venue in a timely manner. So I went over the top into a eucalyptus tree and climbed down.
Wow, that's pretty epic

The variable that has eaten at me for 23 years is that if Clayton steps OB after the lateral, we’ve got a first down with 5 seconds left. We’re 5 yards further away, but the whole rush to the line and spike it is moot.

The variable that has eaten at me for 23 years is that if Clayton steps OB after the lateral, we’ve got a first down with 5 seconds left. We’re 5 yards further away, but the whole rush to the line and spike it is moot.
The tunnel vision in those situations has to be intense.

In HS, me (OLB) and the Will had an agreement that if one of us got a pick, the other would trail and wait for the lateral. Well, i got the pick and needless to say all I saw were goalposts. He said he was right beside me yelling the whole time too, lol. Tunnel vision.

Reactions: ATACFD and SDCoug
The tunnel vision in those situations has to be intense.

In HS, me (OLB) and the Will had an agreement that if one of us got a pick, the other would trail and wait for the lateral. Well, i got the pick and needless to say all I saw were goalposts. He said he was right beside me yelling the whole time too, lol. Tunnel vision.
Yeah, its hard to fault him. Everyone wants to score the winning TD. But...what if.

I was on the 30 at the other end, about 35 rows up. I was looking at the back of Leaf with the scoreboard more or less above him; easy to watch both. The officials let the clock run out so we didn't have a try at the end zone...very clear...no question. Maybe Michigan could have stopped us, and maybe they couldn't. But the refs won that game as much as Michigan won it.

Just think. Tom Brady was the backup QB in that game.

I was at that game as well. Still a great game and we should have had one more play.

I was on the 30 at the other end, about 35 rows up. I was looking at the back of Leaf with the scoreboard more or less above him; easy to watch both. The officials let the clock run out so we didn't have a try at the end zone...very clear...no question. Maybe Michigan could have stopped us, and maybe they couldn't. But the refs won that game as much as Michigan won it.
I had a pretty similar position, more down the sideline than the hash, and completely agree. There was time left.

I had a pretty similar position, more down the sideline than the hash, and completely agree. There was time left.

No question time was left. Michigan bum rushed the field and the refs had no stones.

Still would have required a miracle TD catch against perhaps the greatest two way player of all time defending.....but that year was so magical, it could have been the fairy tale ending.

I was in the south end, at the very top of the bowl. Literally, the very fn top; I couldnt even see the replay on the screen bc i was too far under it. So i was really confused as to wtf happened and had to wait to hook up with other Cougs after the game to get somewhat of an explaination.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT