ADVERTISEMENT

A suspect is in custody in Moscow killings

I always had a feeling there was a thread to WSU...but probably more because it was dad's weekend that weekend so some deranged relative came and went.

The dude was a TA as well.
This is morbid but I’d be curious to watch his lecture (apparently he taught classes) the Monday after the murders assuming they record them.

I’m sure the FBI is also looking at any unsolved murders anyplace he’s gone to school or lived.

He lived in Steptoe Village. They are searching his apartment now.

The Elantra was key to finding him. On 12/7 the police put out a call for information regarding a white elantra and it lead them to this guy.

Unfortunately, extradition from Pennsylvania to Idaho is going to have political overtones. It was one of the first things that crossed my mind actually.

How is it going to have political overtones?

This seems cut and dried.

If likely guilty suspect did the murders. Then is arrested. Then convicted. Then sentenced to either life in prison, or death row, there shouldn't be anything political about that.

The only way I can, could see politics getting involved is if either the victims were black, and at same time perpetrator white, or if the perpetrator black.

And that's because of victims black, and perp white, then it gets painted as a hate, racist crime, and becomes political that way.

And if the Perp is black, then some try to politically paint it as the evil cops, and the systemic racist system is picking on another black person, etc.

But sans something like that, I don't really see how this becomes political, etc.

The Office was a pretty good show.
The late great Harry Chapin wrote a song "30000 Pounds of Bananas" about a true story of a truck that overturned spreading bananas everywhere in Scranton.

If likely guilty suspect did the murders. Then is arrested. Then convicted. Then sentenced to either life in prison, or death row, there shouldn't be anything political about that.

The only way I can, could see politics getting involved is if either the victims were black, and at same time perpetrator white, or if the perpetrator black.

And that's because of victims black, and perp white, then it gets painted as a hate, racist crime, and becomes political that way.

And if the Perp is black, then some try to politically paint it as the evil cops, and the systemic racist system is picking on another black person, etc.

But sans something like that, I don't really see how this becomes political, etc.
I’m not entirely sure how interstate extradition works - especially when the arrest was made (apparently) by federal authorities - but Pennsylvania may be able to put terms into the extradition. Such as…we’ll send him on the condition that prosecution does not seek the death penalty. We’ve seen that in international extraditions, I’m not sure about domestic ones.

It’s a little tough to see Pennsylvania doing that though. Most voters in any jurisdiction don’t look kindly on releasing a likely multiple murderer for any reason.

The Elantra was key to finding him. On 12/7 the police put out a call for information regarding a white elantra and it lead them to this guy.

Apparently. I think of that model and color as kind of rental car type, which could help the cops narrow down the suspect list.

Maybe not in this case though.

Last edited:
I’m not entirely sure how interstate extradition works - especially when the arrest was made (apparently) by federal authorities - but Pennsylvania may be able to put terms into the extradition. Such as…we’ll send him on the condition that prosecution does not seek the death penalty. We’ve seen that in international extraditions, I’m not sure about domestic ones.

It’s a little tough to see Pennsylvania doing that though. Most voters in any jurisdiction don’t look kindly on releasing a likely multiple murderer for any reason.

It's sad that there's even a discussion of there being conditions on the extradition. I know that you aren't guilty of it, but it's fuggin' moronic when people try to make everything political.

That's true, that's a political possibility.

But Idaho can seek a court ordered extradition, that bypasses any terms that PA could put on extradition.

That said, like you said, PA probably wouldn't put terms like that on extradition, an or deny extradition, as your right, Voters don't look favorably on government leaders not handing over an or releasing murderers, etc.

This was my first thought when my daughter said that he had been at DeSales before WSU. I'm guessing that they are definitely looking at any unsolved homicides in that area.
Anyone know where he is from … hometown , high school ?

More creepy details emerging....

A Reddit user who identified himself as Bryan Kohberger shared a request seven months ago asking people to participate in a research project "that seeks to understand how emotions and psychological traits influence decision-making when committing a crime."

A link to an online survey asks participants to detail their thoughts and feelings throughout the commission of a recent crime.

Questions in Kohberger's research survey via DeSales University included:
  • How did you travel to and enter the location where the crime occurred?
  • After arriving, what steps did you take prior to locating the victim or target? Please detail your thoughts and feelings.
  • Why did you choose that victim or target over others?
  • Before making your move, how did you approach the victim or target? Please detail what you were thinking and feeling.
  • What was the first move you made in order to accomplish your goal? Please detail any thoughts and feelings at this point.
  • Before leaving, is there anything else you did?
  • How did you leave the scene?
  • After committing the crime, what were you thinking and feeling?

Reactions: justinbgocougs

A Reddit user who identified himself as Bryan Kohberger shared a request seven months ago asking people to participate in a research project "that seeks to understand how emotions and psychological traits influence decision-making when committing a crime."

A link to an online survey asks participants to detail their thoughts and feelings throughout the commission of a recent crime.

• After arriving, what steps did you take prior to locating the victim or target? Please detail your thoughts and feelings.
  • Before making your move, how did you approach the victim or target? Please detail what you were thinking and feeling.
  • What was the first move you made in order to accomplish your goal? Please detail any thoughts and feelings at this point.
Gotta think the attorneys for DeSales are working on strategy to address the lawsuit they’re about to face. If that survey gave him a roadmap that he followed…they’re going to pay.

Reactions: justinbgocougs
Gotta think the attorneys for DeSales are working on strategy to address the lawsuit they’re about to face. If that survey gave him a roadmap that he followed…they’re going to pay.
I thought the survey was a bit creepy but I’d guess there are plenty of similar surveys out there for CJ Thesises

He lived in Steptoe Village. They are searching his apartment now.
Great...when my youngest went to Pullman told her safest place to attend school.

A couple of lock downs and a mass murder five minute walk from each one of my daughter's apartment....sure doesn't seem to ring true anymore.

I wonder if his parents turned him in?

Parents “ Bryan, why did you drive home for break instead of fly”.

Parents “ sounds like they are looking for someone in a white Elantra like yours? “.

I thought the survey was a bit creepy but I’d guess there are plenty of similar surveys out there for CJ Thesises
That’s no doubt true, but under the circumstances it won’t matter.

He asks for beginning to end information on how to commit a crime. If he got responses that he then used to commit his own, no attorney from any campus will ever let that get in front of a jury.

Great...when my youngest went to Pullman told her safest place to attend school.

A couple of lock downs and a mass murder five minute walk from each one of my daughter's apartment....sure doesn't seem to ring true anymore.
My boys will be attending WSU in a couple of years. I still feel it's the safest, or among the safest places to attend college. Isolated psychotic crimes are different, IMO, than the flood of violent street and drug crimes you have to deal with in more urban campuses.

My family is originally from Boston, which is considered by many to be the mecca for elite colleges and universities. My Dad graduated from Boston University. If you fall asleep on the T (subway) on your way to or from school, you'll wind up in Roxbury instead of Cambridge (Harvard). South Chicago has nothing on Roxbury.

Reactions: Coug90
My boys will be attending WSU in a couple of years. I still feel it's the safest, or among the safest places to attend college. Isolated psychotic crimes are different, IMO, than the flood of violent street and drug crimes you have to deal with in more urban campuses.

My family is originally from Boston, which is considered by many to be the mecca for elite colleges and universities. My Dad graduated from Boston University. If you fall asleep on the T (subway) on your way to or from school, you'll wind up in Roxbury instead of Cambridge (Harvard). South Chicago has nothing on Roxbury.
Off topic Patrol but I just finished watching City on a Hill - set in 1990s Boston. Great show.

Reactions: CougPatrol
I don't see how conducting a research study on criminal psychology, under the guise of criminal justice research, is going to put a school or a researcher w/ any form of liability.

It's clearly, like other serial murders, this guy likely had some sort of obsession with the ideas of crime and/or homicide.

True "safety" is an illusion. Evil acts happen everywhere there are people.

Our culture is too gripped by fear (viruses, "climate change", etc.) and being "safe." This is bad for any culture.

Fortunately, there are only about 25,000 homicides per year out of 331,000,000 US residents. Less than half are committed by strangers (with drug/gang crimes making up many of those homicides).

This UI murder is so sad. So much emotional wreckage as a result of this heinous act.

May the perpetrator get the death penalty. That would be the appropriate justice for him.

True "safety" is an illusion. Evil acts happen everywhere there are people.

Our culture is too gripped by fear (viruses, "climate change", etc.) and being "safe." This is bad for any culture.

Fortunately, there are only about 25,000 homicides per year out of 331,000,000 US residents. Less than half are committed by strangers (with drug/gang crimes making up many of those homicides).

This UI murder is so sad. So much emotional wreckage as a result of this heinous act.

May the perpetrator get the death penalty. That would be the appropriate justice for him.
My daughter works for an attorney part time in Pullman. She told me this morning that you would be very surprised at the number of real criminals there are there.
For that reason alone she is extremely cautious in her day to day life.

You may need to up-date your profile moniker.

The way things are looking that door may swing both ways.
No comparison, so far. A multiple murderer doesn’t compare to a serial killer who operated for years across multiple states. Granted, we don’t know this guy’s full story yet, but we might never know Bundt’s full story.

Besides, I’m sure we can find another comparable multiple murderer from UW. With all that their football team has gotten away with over the years, it’s not hard to imagine that there are bodies under the stadium.

Reactions: 79COUG
I don't see how conducting a research study on criminal psychology, under the guise of criminal justice research, is going to put a school or a researcher w/ any form of liability.

It's clearly, like other serial murders, this guy likely had some sort of obsession with the ideas of crime and/or homicide.
It no longer matters if you’re actually liable. What matters is the appearance of liability.

If you go in front of a jury with “this was just research,” and the other side counters with pictures of 4 dead 20-somethings and their grieving families…you lose.

Here is a paragraph from local media story in Seattle ( BK Norton is a WSU student) The last sentence is really distributing.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
BK Norton, in the criminal justice graduate program at WSU in Pullman along with Kohberger, said they were in all four classes with him last semester. Kohberger was in class and finished the semester after the killings happened, Norton said.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Here is a paragraph from local media story in Seattle ( BK Norton is a WSU student) The last sentence is really distributing.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
BK Norton, in the criminal justice graduate program at WSU in Pullman along with Kohberger, said they were in all four classes with him last semester. Kohberger was in class and finished the semester after the killings happened, Norton said.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I have my doubts about that. PhD students don’t typically take 4 classes, and a significant portion of their coursework is research and independent study. In some cases, they don’t even spend time in a classroom.

I’d guess Mr. Norton will also be having a conversation with police in the relatively near future, along with the rest of the phD students in The program. They’re going to dig pretty deep into this guy’s life over the last 6 months, and his movements in the last 2.

Reactions: kougkurt and Coug90

One of the news outlets reported that he is at WSU getting a PhD in criminology. I thought to myself--did he commit these murders as a test case? Was it a internal test to see if he could get away with it? Sad but hope that they have enough evidence to convict.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT