ADVERTISEMENT

A suspect is in custody in Moscow killings

Okay, so the white Elantra isn't the only car on the road that night. Maybe they narrowed it down to, let's say 10 vehicles. How did they know which vehicle get's the short list? What was the breakthrough that led them to drill down (process of elimination) to the white Elantra?

I guess we'll eventually find out...but that's the answer I'm looking for, or curious about.
I see what you're asking. Perhaps a ring camera? If there was a ring camera within two or three houses of that location I'm sure it was fairly easy for them to review the footage in that given time frame.

Reactions: M-I-Coug and Coug90
I see what you're asking. Perhaps a ring camera? If there was a ring camera within two or three houses of that location I'm sure it was fairly easy for them to review the footage in that given time frame.
Wouldn’t that likely have led to a picture of the suspect?

Multiple different cameras, the bodycam footage from the police in the field may have caught something, they interviewed I think over 200 people or. Big rubix cube and I’m sure that car popped up in enough of these that it became obvious it was out of place. I’d imagine in a needle/haystack situation it’s as much about removing each piece of hay that “belongs” as it is finding the needle.

Reactions: 79COUG
I'm thinking a camera within a few blocks of the murders and then perhaps another one maybe out on the road Moscow side of the Pullman-Moscow highway where the mall is or thereabouts. I'm completely speculation though.

Reactions: 79COUG
Wouldn’t that likely have led to a picture of the suspect?
Depends upon whether there was enough ambient light on the car to get a picture of the driver. And the windows may have been tinted as well, who knows?

Reactions: kougkurt
My boys will be attending WSU in a couple of years. I still feel it's the safest, or among the safest places to attend college. Isolated psychotic crimes are different, IMO, than the flood of violent street and drug crimes you have to deal with in more urban campuses.

My family is originally from Boston, which is considered by many to be the mecca for elite colleges and universities. My Dad graduated from Boston University. If you fall asleep on the T (subway) on your way to or from school, you'll wind up in Roxbury instead of Cambridge (Harvard). South Chicago has nothing on Roxbury.
That would involve some solid sleepwalking considering BU and Roxbury are on different lines.

Stupid question -
Why would someone come all the way from Pa for WSU CJ phd?
Is it a really good program, easy to get into….?
People go to colleges all over the country. I went to college in PA, and knew people who came from California, Arizona and Alaska for undergrad.

That would involve some solid sleepwalking considering BU and Roxbury are on different lines.
You can, and sometimes have to take different lines. Green line is standard to BU, but I've taken the orange line before and walked over to BU and Fenway. You're right though. A better example would have been that it's easy to get mixed up on the various Green line options. My Dad got chased while walking back to campus all the time.

I find this a little strange. His dad flew out to Idaho a week or so before Christmas, about the time they were on a hunt for the Elantra, to drive home with his son. Why wouldn’t he just fly himself?

By the way, I know many consider them a compromised news source, but CNN seems to be the first with credible source information. They are also reporting he is waiving extradition.

You can, and sometimes have to take different lines. Green line is standard to BU, but I've taken the orange line before and walked over to BU and Fenway. You're right though. A better example would have been that it's easy to get mixed up on the various Green line options. My Dad got chased while walking back to campus all the time.

By women or men? 😀

I find this a little strange. His dad flew out to Idaho a week or so before Christmas, about the time they were on a hunt for the Elantra, to drive home with his son. Why wouldn’t he just fly himself?

By the way, I know many consider them a compromised news source, but CNN seems to be the first with credible source information. They are also reporting he is waiving extradition.

I don’t see anything about his Dad flying out and driving back with him.

CNN is apparently cleaning up their ideological act. They have new management and are reportedly getting back to reporting the news with at least some credibility. They've fired quite a few left wing ideologues. There is hope they can get their credibility back.

Reactions: justinbgocougs
People go to colleges all over the country. I went to college in PA, and knew people who came from California, Arizona and Alaska for undergrad.
Yep - lots of people go all over the country for school/work etc. for lots of different reasons. It’s pretty small minded to think otherwise.

Yep - lots of people go all over the country for school/work etc. for lots of different reasons. It’s pretty small minded to think otherwise.
I understand that. It just makes me curious as to whether he possibly was stalking one of the victims prior to moving to Pullman.

And just a disclaimer- I’m torn between being extremely heart broken for those kids, their families and friends and extreme curiosity over how and why someone could commit such a heinous crime. This hits close to home based on proximity and the fact that I have 2 teenage daughters.

CNN is apparently cleaning up their ideological act. They have new management and are reportedly getting back to reporting the news with at least some credibility. They've fired quite a few left wing ideologues. There is hope they can get their credibility back.
The lawyer who’s working with him pre extradition said this. Regardless of what anyone’s taste in “news” is I doubt any network would falsely report something a lawyer didn’t say in a murder case.

I understand that. It just makes me curious as to whether he possibly was stalking one of the victims prior to moving to Pullman.

And just a disclaimer- I’m torn between being extremely heart broken for those kids, their families and friends and extreme curiosity over how and why someone could commit such a heinous crime. This hits close to home based on proximity and the fact that I have 2 teenage daughters.
Regarding the car, they indicated that the Elantra had been seen in the vicinity, which I’ve assumed meant that it came from a tip, which they then matched up with cameras. Possible the car has some distinctive damage or a feature that they didn’t describe, but makes it visible to investigators.

My further supposition is that the Elantra at this point is circumstantial. There are multiple reports that they used DNA genealogy to find him…which might mean they had his name first, and then matched him up with his car, his residence, etc.

My last comment is that with the information available at the moment there’s no way to conclusively answer how they directly arrived at him, his car, and his arrest/charges. There’s no doubt that MPD, ISP, and FBI have a ton of information that has not been made public. Some of it (tip of the iceberg) will come out once he gets back to Idaho and the probable cause documents are unsealed. That’s going to be just enough to justify the arrest. Anything else will wait for trial, if there is one.

Really, I’d just about bet that this doesn’t go to trial. I’m assuming that there’s a mountain of evidence, little doubt, and very little likelihood of a sympathetic jury. His attorneys will get halfway through discovery and just tell him that if he wants to keep breathing he needs to plead guilty.

Well I can tell you when I attended BU, I never once went to Roxbury, so I think you can manage.

WRT the Reddit survey piece, this sounds like pretty standard postgrad coursework. I've been on Reddit for 10+ years and see lazy postgrads checking a box on "research" there all the time. The idea that it would expose any academy to liability is silly to me.

As far as suspicious activity, one wonders if he was present for classwork and then suddenly went AWOL? Alarm bells if so.

So the whole stalker thing may prove to be true. Unless he had a direct connection to the kids...Kaylee in particular, how would he know where they lived etc.

Here is a story that says his cell phone was pinged in close proximity to the victims on several occasions

So the whole stalker thing may prove to be true. Unless he had a direct connection to the kids...Kaylee in particular, how would he know where they lived etc.

Here is a story that says his cell phone was pinged in close proximity to the victims on several occasions

"He's not stupid..."

And yet he didn't understand that all of our locations at a given time can be triangulated via cell towers.

That's very fundamental stuff.

Reactions: spongeandshoot
Don’t know if this is true but I read this on a post: a lady from the convenience store who ran through hour and hours of surveillance video on her own time and reported the white Hyundai Elantra speeding past the store on the morning of the crime. It was that lead that broke the case wide open.

Don’t know if this is true but I read this on a post: a lady from the convenience store who ran through hour and hours of surveillance video on her own time and reported the white Hyundai Elantra speeding past the store on the morning of the crime. It was that lead that broke the case wide open.
The first part is true, there was a gas station employee who ran through their video and found a matching car during the 3-4AM window. But most reports so far seem to indicate that the car wasn’t the central lead in the case. Sounds like DNA is what really got them there, then they correlated his cell phone, his car, and probably other elements that haven’t been publicized yet.

Regarding the car, they indicated that the Elantra had been seen in the vicinity, which I’ve assumed meant that it came from a tip, which they then matched up with cameras. Possible the car has some distinctive damage or a feature that they didn’t describe, but makes it visible to investigators.

My further supposition is that the Elantra at this point is circumstantial. There are multiple reports that they used DNA genealogy to find him…which might mean they had his name first, and then matched him up with his car, his residence, etc.

My last comment is that with the information available at the moment there’s no way to conclusively answer how they directly arrived at him, his car, and his arrest/charges. There’s no doubt that MPD, ISP, and FBI have a ton of information that has not been made public. Some of it (tip of the iceberg) will come out once he gets back to Idaho and the probable cause documents are unsealed. That’s going to be just enough to justify the arrest. Anything else will wait for trial, if there is one.

Really, I’d just about bet that this doesn’t go to trial. I’m assuming that there’s a mountain of evidence, little doubt, and very little likelihood of a sympathetic jury. His attorneys will get halfway through discovery and just tell him that if he wants to keep breathing he needs to plead guilty.
Would be shocked if the prosecution cuts any deal. Capital punishment is legal in Idaho and the heinous nature of this crime doesn’t have anyone in the mood for anything but the max.

As an aside, prosecutors in Idaho are seeking the death penalty for Lori Vallow who is certifiably nuts. There won’t be any punches pulled on this guy.

Would be shocked if the prosecution cuts any deal. Capital punishment is legal in Idaho and the heinous nature of this crime doesn’t have anyone in the mood for anything but the max.

As an aside, prosecutors in Idaho are seeking the death penalty for Lori Vallow who is certifiably nuts. There won’t be any punches pulled on this guy.

Plus I don't think the suspect has enough cards to ask for a deal. I think they are going to have way too much evidence against him.

Last edited:
The first part is true, there was a gas station employee who ran through their video and found a matching car during the 3-4AM window. But most reports so far seem to indicate that the car wasn’t the central lead in the case. Sounds like DNA is what really got them there, then they correlated his cell phone, his car, and probably other elements that haven’t been publicized yet.
You’re right it’s the DNA and his car puts him in the area plus his phone ping the cell towers. He has allot of explaining. I think they got the right guy. I also read where he was wearing gloves everywhere when he went shopping. They noticed it weird as he was being surveillance before the arrest.

Plus I don't think the suspect has enough cards to ask for a deal. I think they are going to have way too much evidence
He’ll be negotiating on means of death penalty. Lethal injection vs electrocution (assuming hanging and firing squad are off the table?).

Plus I don't think the suspect has enough cards to ask for a deal. I think they are going to have way too much evidence
By way of comparison, the only comparable crime to this in North Idaho was about 20 years ago when Joseph Duncan killed two and abducted Shasta and Dylan Groene. Dylan was subsequently killed and left in the woods.

Duncan was given the death penalty but died in prison of cancer. There was no deal cut.

Drove by that crime site today on the way to Kellogg. Still brings back horrible memories.

From the Daily Mail...one of the many upstanding <cough> media sources...

"After the murders, he first returned to teaching at the University of Washington, but later drove 2,000 miles from Idaho to Pennsylvania in order to hide out at his parent's Poconos home."

I like it.

From the Daily Mail...one of the many upstanding <cough> media sources...

"After the murders, he first returned to teaching at the University of Washington, but later drove 2,000 miles from Idaho to Pennsylvania in order to hide out at his parent's Poconos home."

I like it.

Did an ESPN announcer write that piece?

Plus I don't think the suspect has enough cards to ask for a deal. I think they are going to have way too much evidence against him.

It would appear right now that his one bargaining chip is a quick confession. That saves the expense of a trial and also avoids putting the families through it…which will be of some interest to the prosecutor. It also avoids having 20+ years of appeals.

His option will be a trial and what seems like a likely death sentence, or a plea and life without possibility of parole.

The families may have a slight influence. With a plea, maybe they get some explanation. I’m not sure that provides any comfort though. If it’s my kid, and the explanation is “I wanted to know what it felt like”…there’s a pretty fair chance I’m going to come over the table and find out what it feels like too. Not in a way as clean & gentle as an injection, but with my hands around his throat while I wait for him to stop twitching.

He’ll be negotiating on means of death penalty. Lethal injection vs electrocution (assuming hanging and firing squad are off the table?).
Lethal injection is the only currently approved method in Idaho, according to Google. They haven’t had an execution since 2012.

Reactions: spongeandshoot
This, plus the mentions of Duncan & Vallow (both of whom deserve a lower level of Hell than I’ve ever heard discussed) makes me wonder…. Why don’t we use carbon monoxide for executions? It’s insanely cheap, and provides its own anesthetic. It can’t be painful - if it was, people wouldn’t accidentally gas themselves every winter.

I don’t mean dirty automotive exhaust gas CO. Use the purified stuff. Make the death chamber the size of a closet, and dump a full sized cylinder of CO into it. That would result in a couple times the lethal concentration. The convict would be unconscious within a few (seriously, 2-3) breaths, and would be dead in 5 minutes. Then you run the exhaust fan for 10 minutes and remove the body. No residue, no cleanup, minimal expense…job over.

It would appear right now that his one bargaining chip is a quick confession. That saves the expense of a trial and also avoids putting the families through it…which will be of some interest to the prosecutor. It also avoids having 20+ years of appeals.

His option will be a trial and what seems like a likely death sentence, or a plea and life without possibility of parole.

The families may have a slight influence. With a plea, maybe they get some explanation. I’m not sure that provides any comfort though. If it’s my kid, and the explanation is “I wanted to know what it felt like”…there’s a pretty fair chance I’m going to come over the table and find out what it feels like too. Not in a way as clean & gentle as an injection, but with my hands around his throat while I wait for him to stop twitching.

Lethal injection is the only currently approved method in Idaho, according to Google. They haven’t had an execution since 2012.
Is the death sentence real anymore? Would seem to require a unanimous jury conviction (?) followed by a followthrough on the punishment in the near future. AFAIK most of the death penalties carried out in recent history were secured in frontier justice states by juries 20+ years ago. I know you can find exceptions but the era of frontier justice seems to be over pretty much everywhere.

Is the death sentence real anymore? Would seem to require a unanimous jury conviction (?) followed by a followthrough on the punishment in the near future. AFAIK most of the death penalties carried out in recent history were secured in frontier justice states by juries 20+ years ago. I know you can find exceptions but the era of frontier justice seems to be over pretty much everywhere.
It’s becoming less common, and increasingly less practical.

A criminal conviction requires a unanimous verdict. Sentencing is a separate phase following the conviction, and I believe a death sentence also requires a unanimous verdict.

With all of the appeals and reviews, your typical death row inmate is about as likely to die of natural causes as he is to actually have sentence carried out. They often spend decades appealing the verdict and dragging the case out. The exceptions are the rare Tim McVeigh or Westley Allan Dodd, who refuse to support any appeals on their behalf and just demand to be executed - and both of them still took almost 4 years from conviction to execution.

I’m not against the use of the death penalty. But the practical reality at this point is that it may be better to just lock people up forever, with no possibility of parole. It shortens the process and spares the victims’ families the need to go through decades of appeal, re-hashing the crime every time there’s an appeal or when the execution finally comes up. With the life sentence, the criminal can just disappear behind the wall, and they may as well be dead.

Either that or we need to revamp the whole process to ensure that death sentences are carried out much more efficiently.

A criminal conviction requires a unanimous verdict. Sentencing is a separate phase following the conviction, and I believe a death sentence also requires a unanimous verdict.

With all of the appeals and reviews, your typical death row inmate is about as likely to die of natural causes as he is to actually have sentence carried out. They often spend decades appealing the verdict and dragging the case out. The exceptions are the rare Tim McVeigh or Westley Allan Dodd, who refuse to support any appeals on their behalf and just demand to be executed - and both of them still took almost 4 years from conviction to execution.

I’m not against the use of the death penalty. But the practical reality at this point is that it may be better to just lock people up forever, with no possibility of parole. It shortens the process and spares the victims’ families the need to go through decades of appeal, re-hashing the crime every time there’s an appeal or when the execution finally comes up. With the life sentence, the criminal can just disappear behind the wall, and they may as well be dead.

Either that or we need to revamp the whole process to ensure that death sentences are carried out much more efficiently.
If I’m not mistaken with the appeals process the way it is is the death sentance is far more expensive than life in prison. I’m all for the death sentence as a deterrent against violent crimes, but not sure someone thinking about committing such a crime is ultimately going to give pause if they are standing on ground that subjects then to the death sentence. In a lot of ways I think life in prison would be worse.

Life sentence then turn them out to the general population. They won't last long i.e. Dahmer.
Save everyone a lot of time and money.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT