ADVERTISEMENT

Allright, gotta do an OT political thread

Loyal Coug1

Hall Of Fame
Aug 24, 2022
Apologies in advance.

So this is not about who you support, D or R. What is chapping my ass is the onslaught of the media, R politicians, and everybody else and their dog anointing Trump as the R nominee and lambasting Nikki Haley for not dropping out after a caucus and one primary. Both insignificant, population-wise. And Trump's "landslide" victory in NH where he got 54% of the vote. Gee, a 5-4 victory in Baseball is not a landslide.

In 1992, Bill Clinton did not win his first primary until #6. His next win came in primary #13. The Comeback kid. It wasn't until Super Tuesday that he pretty much flattened the competition.

But flash forward to 2024. A stupid redneck Iowa caucus and an actually pretty competitive NH primary but oh Trump is the guy and everyone bow at his altar.

How about the pundits and the Trump sycophants STFU and let democracy run its course?

Apologies in advance.

So this is not about who you support, D or R. What is chapping my ass is the onslaught of the media, R politicians, and everybody else and their dog anointing Trump as the R nominee and lambasting Nikki Haley for not dropping out after a caucus and one primary. Both insignificant, population-wise. And Trump's "landslide" victory in NH where he got 54% of the vote. Gee, a 5-4 victory in Baseball is not a landslide.

In 1992, Bill Clinton did not win his first primary until #6. His next win came in primary #13. The Comeback kid. It wasn't until Super Tuesday that he pretty much flattened the competition.

But flash forward to 2024. A stupid redneck Iowa caucus and an actually pretty competitive NH primary but oh Trump is the guy and everyone bow at his altar.

How about the pundits and the Trump sycophants STFU and let democracy run its course?
They want him in the race because love him or hate him he gets eyeballs on their screens. That’s it. People either blow their wad watching him or think the world’s gonna end. It’s good for ratings.

Apologies in advance.

As much as I can't stand Trump for running again, after his reelection was lost, when every sitting president over the last 100 years that lost their reelection didn't run again. Trump should be done. If you lose your reelection, then your done, and you sit down, shut up, and give somebody else a chance, etc.

And as much as I can't stand Trump because of his FIERY Rhetoric, that CAUSED the Jan 6 riots.

And as much as I can't stand Trump because Biden has about a 50/50 shot at beating Trump, instead of Ron De Santis, Cruz, etc, who would DESTROY Biden in a LANDSLIDE.

As much as I can't stand Trump for those reasons, and as much as Nikki Haley, other R candidates couldn't, didn't stand Trump for same reasons, none of them, Nikki Haley hasn't CRUCIFIED Trump in court of Public Opinion.

If I was Nikki Haley, Ron De Santis, etc, I would have CRUCIFIED Trump in courts of public opinion.

I would have made the case in AD's, on TV, on Radio, EVERYWHERE, EVERY CHANCE I GOT, that Trump was responsible for Jan 6, and why, AND would have pointed out that Biden would have a 50/50 chance to beat Trump and Why, and that I(If I was them), would beat Biden in a LANDSLIDE, and WHY, COMPARED to how Trump would have a 50/50 chance to lose to Biden, and why.

The problem is, that the R candidates, took off the fighting gloves, were too nice, didn't want to be perceived as slinging mud at Trump, and didn't want to risk offending Trump's base.

And Trump refused to debate, because he knew that he didn't have to, and knew that he would lose if he did debate.

I would have called Trump a YELLOW BELLIED COWARD TOO SCAREDY CAT TO DEBATE.

And I would have kept BROW BEATING, SLING MUD, ETC, UNTIL IT STUCK, FORCED HIM TO DEBATE ME ON TV, ETC, WHERE I THEN WOULD HAVE WON THE DEBATE.

AND ITS NOT SLING MUD IF ITS TRUE.

THE ONLY WAY TO BEAT TRUMP IS TO FIGHT FIRE WITH FIRE, BEAT HIM AT HIS OWN GAME, SLING TRUE MUD THAT WILL STICK TO HIM AT HIM, CRUCIFY, ASSASSINATE, BULLY, BROW BEAT, ETC, HIM, ETC, JUST LIKE HE TRUMP DOES TO EVERYONE ELSE, EXCEPT THAT YOU PROVE, EVERYTHING SAID AGAINST TRUMP.

But Nikki Haley, Ron De Santis, and all the other R candidates, were too nice, kind, prim, proper, etc, and wouldn't sling tru mud, crucify, assassinate, etc, Trump, etc, which is why Trump is winning and will be the R candidate.

And so because of that, I'll have to throw away my vote and vote 3rd party, because I won't vote for Biden or Trump.

Reactions: KRUSTYtheCOUG
As much as I can't stand Trump for running again, after his reelection was lost, when every sitting president over the last 100 years that lost their reelection didn't run again. Trump should be done. If you lose your reelection, then your done, and you sit down, shut up, and give somebody else a chance, etc.

And as much as I can't stand Trump because of his FIERY Rhetoric, that CAUSED the Jan 6 riots.

And as much as I can't stand Trump because Biden has about a 50/50 shot at beating Trump, instead of Ron De Santis, Cruz, etc, who would DESTROY Biden in a LANDSLIDE.

As much as I can't stand Trump for those reasons, and as much as Nikki Haley, other R candidates couldn't, didn't stand Trump for same reasons, none of them, Nikki Haley hasn't CRUCIFIED Trump in court of Public Opinion.

If I was Nikki Haley, Ron De Santis, etc, I would have CRUCIFIED Trump in courts of public opinion.

I would have made the case in AD's, on TV, on Radio, EVERYWHERE, EVERY CHANCE I GOT, that Trump was responsible for Jan 6, and why, AND would have pointed out that Biden would have a 50/50 chance to beat Trump and Why, and that I(If I was them), would beat Biden in a LANDSLIDE, and WHY, COMPARED to how Trump would have a 50/50 chance to lose to Biden, and why.

The problem is, that the R candidates, took off the fighting gloves, were too nice, didn't want to be perceived as slinging mud at Trump, and didn't want to risk offending Trump's base.

And Trump refused to debate, because he knew that he didn't have to, and knew that he would lose if he did debate.

And I would have kept BROW BEATING, SLING MUD, ETC, UNTIL IT STUCK, FORCED HIM TO DEBATE ME ON TV, ETC, WHERE I THEN WOULD HAVE WON THE DEBATE.

THE ONLY WAY TO BEAT TRUMP IS TO FIGHT FIRE WITH FIRE, BEAT HIM AT HIS OWN GAME, SLING TRUE MUD THAT WILL STICK TO HIM AT HIM, CRUCIFY, ASSASSINATE, BULLY, BROW BEAT, ETC, HIM, ETC, JUST LIKE HE TRUMP DOES TO EVERYONE ELSE, EXCEPT THAT YOU PROVE, EVERYTHING SAID AGAINST TRUMP.

But Nikki Haley, Ron De Santis, and all the other R candidates, were too nice, kind, prim, proper, etc, and wouldn't sling tru mud, crucify, assassinate, etc, Trump, etc, which is why Trump is winning and will be the R candidate.

And so because of that, I'll have to throw away my vote and vote 3rd party, because I won't vote for Biden or Trump.

And in a way I can't wait until Trump wins the R nomination and then either loses to Biden or Biden wins by default because Trump is found guilty of a felony in court, and sentenced, and imprisoned in prison, AFTER Trump wins R nomination, just so I can say to Republicans, I TOLD YOU SO THAT THIS WOULD HAPPEN IF CHOOSE, CHOSE TRUMP OVER NIKKI HALEY, RON DE SANTIS, ETC.

And in a way I can't wait until Trump wins the R nomination and then either loses to Biden or Biden wins by default because Trump is found guilty of a felony in court, and sentenced, and imprisoned in prison, AFTER Trump wins R nomination, just so I can say to Republicans, I TOLD YOU SO THAT THIS WOULD HAPPEN IF CHOOSE, CHOSE TRUMP OVER NIKKI HALEY, RON DE SANTIS, ETC.

Stupid EFFIN Republicans.

And this from a semi conservative to semi moderate Libertarian, Constitutionalist, conservative Republican.

Stupid EFFIN Republicans.

And this from a semi conservative to semi moderate Libertarian, Constitutionalist, conservative Republican.

Oh and Trump has THREATENED Nikki Haley, if she beats out trump, threatening to have her investigated, penalized, etc, if she beats out Trump.

But yet Nikki still does not CRUCIFY Trump in court of Public Opinion, which is why she is so far losing BIG TIME to Trump.

Oh and Trump has THREATENED Nikki Haley, if she beats out trump, threatening to have her investigated, penalized, etc, if she beats out Trump.

But yet Nikki still does not CRUCIFY Trump in court of Public Opinion, which is why she is so far losing BIG TIME to Trump.

Stupid, idiotic, moronic Republicans

Agree mostly, although Chris Christie did try that. He really tried to goat trump.

Trump knows his audience. Cult leaders know their followers. That's all I have to say about that.

Agree mostly, although Chris Christie did try that. He really tried to goat trump.

Trump knows his audience. Cult leaders know their followers. That's all I have to say about that.

Chris Christie entered the race too late, and wasn't supported by most Republicans, because of his stance on issues like Abortion, etc.

He was like, had about 1% of the Republican Vote. There was a lot more R candidates that had a better shot at beating Trump IF they CRUCIFIED, etc, Trump.

Saying Christie did fight Trump would be like saying that Nader fights.

Agree that it's too early for her to quit...but she realistically has no chance. FWIW, when I voted in the Kansas Republican Caucus in March 2016, Trump was a distant second to Ted Cruz with Cruz getting 48%, Trump getting 28%, Rubio getting 17% and Kasich getting 11%. Trump had a relatively narrow lead overall nationally. He didn't dominate until later in the primary cycle. South Carolina will be the primary that shows if Haley should drop out. If she can't win her own state...she's cooked.

On the no chance part....New Hampshire was arguably her best shot at winning. Given that the GOP is a party full of pussies that b!tch about Trump behind his back but bend the knee in public, she has no hope of beating him. She should stay in the race for another month, but if she loses South Carolina....which she will...she should drop out. Of course, if she had any ethics and morals, she would not support Trump...but we already know that's not a thing anymore.

She shouldn’t drop out until the Supreme Court issues a ruling. It’s not likely they’ll DQ him - although I hope they do - but if they do, suddenly she’s the front runner. And while I’m not excited about it, there’s a better chance I’d vote for her than for Biden.

Not that my vote matters anyway. Biden will win WA no matter what I do.

She shouldn’t drop out until the Supreme Court issues a ruling. It’s not likely they’ll DQ him - although I hope they do - but if they do, suddenly she’s the front runner. And while I’m not excited about it, there’s a better chance I’d vote for her than for Biden.

I was talking with one of my co-workers about the electoral college. It stinks that in all but about 10 states, our votes no longer really count. When I was in Washington in 2000, I ended up voting about 5 minutes before the polls closed and being a good Republican...I voted for Bush. By the time I got home, they had already declared Gore the winner of Washington's electoral votes. In Kansas, a Democrat's vote doesn't count. If we have to keep the electoral college...and there are reasons to do so, it would be nice if they apportioned the votes by percentage in each state and rounded up to favor the winner.

If the ballot has Trump v Biden, I will not participate in this election, the first time I've ever done that since I turned 18. Its a shameful, disgusting proposition having to choose the lesser of two evils and I refuse to participate in a system that forces me to do so.

Reactions: roses04
Agree that it's too early for her to quit...but she realistically has no chance. FWIW, when I voted in the Kansas Republican Caucus in March 2016, Trump was a distant second to Ted Cruz with Cruz getting 48%, Trump getting 28%, Rubio getting 17% and Kasich getting 11%. Trump had a relatively narrow lead overall nationally. He didn't dominate until later in the primary cycle. South Carolina will be the primary that shows if Haley should drop out. If she can't win her own state...she's cooked.

On the no chance part....New Hampshire was arguably her best shot at winning. Given that the GOP is a party full of pussies that b!tch about Trump behind his back but bend the knee in public, she has no hope of beating him. She should stay in the race for another month, but if she loses South Carolina....which she will...she should drop out. Of course, if she had any ethics and morals, she would not support Trump...but we already know that's not a thing anymore.
Well I think she should stay in until Super Tuesday (March 5th). Who knows what will happen, legally and otherwise, between now and then. Maybe Trump will have a stroke.

I was talking with one of my co-workers about the electoral college. It stinks that in all but about 10 states, our votes no longer really count. When I was in Washington in 2000, I ended up voting about 5 minutes before the polls closed and being a good Republican...I voted for Bush. By the time I got home, they had already declared Gore the winner of Washington's electoral votes. In Kansas, a Democrat's vote doesn't count. If we have to keep the electoral college...and there are reasons to do so, it would be nice if they apportioned the votes by percentage in each state and rounded up to favor the winner.
All but 2 states, IMO. Nebraska and Maine divide their electoral votes based on the outcome in each congressional district. All states should do that. The all-or-nothing approach means that in 48 states, almost half of the votes cast (sometimes more than half) mean nothing.

Reactions: mikalalas
Voting to me is more on the actions taken than on the people themselves.

Don't use my tax dollars to help your abortions, 8 year old sex changes, bigger/more government control over businesses, rewarding bad teachers the same as good teachers, stopping Christmas from being Christmas, trying to make vehicles all "electronically fueled", making a straight Christian bake a gay cake, encouraging kneeling during the national athemn, spending on research for classical music to increase the mating season for 5 flippered dolphins...

Stop re-taxing what has already been taxed.

Please help senior citizens have better/great retirement, but understand that if you're living longer... you either have to put more in or bump the collecting age back.

Encourage people to serve in the military with better/earlier benefits and teach more in schools about how much the military has done and continues to do to keep us safe.

Build a wall & border security. Work together and not with political differences to get it done.

Force more bad people / criminals to do more work. We have enough criminals that beaches/roads should be getting cleaned up in a more agressive manner.

Stop making taxes complicated and time consuming. It should be sales tax and flat tax. I'd love to see accounting lose jobs and figure out a way for less people to be working in the IRS.

We have Oil. Do it right. Get it... use it... sell it.

Enough with he/she/they/them... If you have a penis.. you're male.

Education evolves. Job Training / Learning in High School should be promoted.

Any teaching / promoting of one race or sex to be better than the other should be banned. It just encourages hatred.

I don't think unions are bad, but be more about the workers vs. trying to move moral mountains.

Fuw.

I will vote for the people who side with my goals/thinking regardless of the party and I could give 2 shits about what is said vs. what is done.

Get off my lawn.

Apologies in advance.

Yes, but there is no crying in baseball and there is a lot of crying in politics! Ha!

Well, AFAIAC, the media is pretty much all sick and poisoned. They are whoring themselves out for clicks and eyeballs and/or to promote agendas. No real reporting any more. That said, they should be discussing possible ways Haley could win instead of just claiming that it is impossible. Cover all sides of the issue, please. What a novel concept!

I do understand why a lot of people are saying Haley has no shot, and they want her to drop out immediately. Just like the Dens are doing with Biden, they want to get on with the general election and put the primary in the past. That enables the most likely/almost surely primary winner to focus on the November opponent as much as possible without incurring any more self inflicted injuries. Essentially, no more killing yourself in the foot, as a great Cougar once said.

Personally, I want everything to play out until the end. I don't support forcing Haley out prematurely any more than I supported the games that the Dems have played. Let the people decide who they want and who they do not want. Remember how the Dems forced out Sanders and Pocahontas to clear the path for Hillary. Remember them forcing out candidates to get Joe to win S Carolina, and now this year not allowing a Kennedy (of all people) to run as a Democrat. Both parties stink.....

Come on, Flat-EVERYONE's vote counts, as long as it is legal. Just because one's vote is on the losing side in a state or in the nation doesn't mean it doesn't count.

When we attend Cougar games and donate to the program and the Cougars do not win the conference championship, it does not mean that our attendance and $$$ does not count. It all counts.

Reactions: Cougini5591
Forgot to include this in my last post, regarding your comment about declaring Gore the winner before you got home.....

If I were in charge as Most Honorable Exalted Supreme Emperor I would implement a news blackout on elections. Every media outlet, podcast, independent journalist, election worker, politician, etc would be prevented from reporting/spreading in any way any actual election results and exit polling from the time the first vote was cast in any state (including early voting and mailed in ballots, not just on election day) and would extend until the polls close in the last precinct in Alaska and Hawaii.

There is no reason that such results need to be reported out early like they do now, as doing so will sway the voters further west to stay home if the national election appears to be going a way they either support or are discouraged by. This ends up hurting the turnout for all the state and local elections, which is unfair to those candidates. As an example of this, think back to 2000 and the presidential election in Florida. As soon as the polls closed the networks called the election for Gore. The problem is that the panhandle was in a different time zone and those polls were still open. And that area was more conservative and went heavier for Bush than Gore, and thus could actually have ended up making the difference, tipping the election to Gore if enough voters stayed home due to the networks call.

And, there should be SEVERE penalties for breaking the law on this temporary news blackout, very severe, as it can be interpreted as election interference. So there ya go!

All but 2 states, IMO. Nebraska and Maine divide their electoral votes based on the outcome in each congressional district. All states should do that. The all-or-nothing approach means that in 48 states, almost half of the votes cast (sometimes more than half) mean nothing.
A few years ago I actually did an analysis for myself to see how this would affect the election results. I don't recall now which two I did, but it did not change the results. The actual winner of the election still won when I allocated the Electoral College votes on a percentage basis. FWIW.

Come on, Flat-EVERYONE's vote counts, as long as it is legal. Just because one's vote is on the losing side in a state or in the nation doesn't mean it doesn't count.

When we attend Cougar games and donate to the program and the Cougars do not win the conference championship, it does not mean that our attendance and $$$ does not count. It all counts.
Nope. Washington provides an example. In the current electoral system, Washington is a reliably democrat state. Solid blue, neither candidate will spend much effort here. Biden will get all 12 electoral votes. Popular vote is irrelevant. So, if you vote republican or 3rd party, your vote is meaningless.

Same in Idaho. Reliably republican. If you vote democrat or third party, your vote is meaningless.

Voting to me is more on the actions taken than on the people themselves.

Don't use my tax dollars to help your abortions, 8 year old sex changes, bigger/more government control over businesses, rewarding bad teachers the same as good teachers, stopping Christmas from being Christmas, trying to make vehicles all "electronically fueled", making a straight Christian bake a gay cake, encouraging kneeling during the national athemn, spending on research for classical music to increase the mating season for 5 flippered dolphins...

Stop re-taxing what has already been taxed.

Please help senior citizens have better/great retirement, but understand that if you're living longer... you either have to put more in or bump the collecting age back.

Encourage people to serve in the military with better/earlier benefits and teach more in schools about how much the military has done and continues to do to keep us safe.

Build a wall & border security. Work together and not with political differences to get it done.

Force more bad people / criminals to do more work. We have enough criminals that beaches/roads should be getting cleaned up in a more agressive manner.

Stop making taxes complicated and time consuming. It should be sales tax and flat tax. I'd love to see accounting lose jobs and figure out a way for less people to be working in the IRS.

We have Oil. Do it right. Get it... use it... sell it.

Enough with he/she/they/them... If you have a penis.. you're male.

Education evolves. Job Training / Learning in High School should be promoted.

Any teaching / promoting of one race or sex to be better than the other should be banned. It just encourages hatred.

I don't think unions are bad, but be more about the workers vs. trying to move moral mountains.

Fuw.

I will vote for the people who side with my goals/thinking regardless of the party and I could give 2 shits about what is said vs. what is done.

Get off my lawn.
Now that's all just crazy stuff right there!

:)

A few years ago I actually did an analysis for myself to see how this would affect the election results. I don't recall now which two I did, but it did not change the results. The actual winner of the election still won when I allocated the Electoral College votes on a percentage basis. FWIW.
This wouldn’t be a percentage basis.

I’m not sure how many elections it would actually swing, but at least it would be more representative of actual votes.

I looked at it just for a couple of states for 2020. If we did it the same way as Maine and Nebraska, it would be 1 electoral vote for winning the popular vote in each congressional district, plus 2 for the popular vote statewide. If I remember right, in 2020 that would have split Washington’s votes 9-3 instead of going 12-0 for Biden. Not a huge swing, but in close elections it could matter.

Nope. Washington provides an example. In the current electoral system, Washington is a reliably democrat state. Solid blue, neither candidate will spend much effort here. Biden will get all 12 electoral votes. Popular vote is irrelevant. So, if you vote republican or 3rd party, your vote is meaningless.

Same in Idaho. Reliably republican. If you vote democrat or third party, your vote is meaningless.
Wrong, all legal votes get counted. That is just factual. Sure, when you look at one single vote in a vacuum, very seldom does an election come down to a tie or one vote margin, but it does happen.

And while the two states you cite have generally voted one way in recent years, they have gone the other way in most our our lifetimes. Getting better candidates and with some dramatic occurrences in the country or world and you could see them go the other way again.

Good visual look at the voting by states to check out. You don't need to go back too many cycles to see a trend flip or an out of the usual for almost all states.

This wouldn’t be a percentage basis.

I’m not sure how many elections it would actually swing, but at least it would be more representative of actual votes.

I looked at it just for a couple of states for 2020. If we did it the same way as Maine and Nebraska, it would be 1 electoral vote for winning the popular vote in each congressional district, plus 2 for the popular vote statewide. If I remember right, in 2020 that would have split Washington’s votes 9-3 instead of going 12-0 for Biden. Not a huge swing, but in close elections it could matter.
It actually WAS a percentage basis, but done with rounding up and down. Clearly you wouldn't award 62.36 and 37.63% of say 53 EC votes. Multiply the 53 EC votes by .6236 and you get 33.0508. so the states winner gets 33 votes and the loser gets 20 votes. It isn't complicated.

Wrong, all legal votes get counted. That is just factual. Sure, when you look at one single vote in a vacuum, very seldom does an election come down to a tie or one vote margin, but it does happen.

And while the two states you cite have generally voted one way in recent years, they have gone the other way in most our our lifetimes. Getting better candidates and with some dramatic occurrences in the country or world and you could see them go the other way again.

Good visual look at the voting by states to check out. You don't need to go back too many cycles to see a trend flip or an out of the usual for almost all states.

Sure, they get counted. They just don’t count. With the all or nothing electoral college distribution, if you didn’t vote for the winner, your vote means nothing. And, that’s what makes it possible to lose the popular vote and win the election. Increase the granularity of the electoral votes, and it gets tougher to do that.

They get counted....but in about 40 states...they don't really mean anything in any election. On the 270-to-win website, they have an interactive map that you can click around on to look at scenarios. On that map, the following is the list of states that are really deciding the 2024 election:

Arizona
Georgia
Michigan
Nevada
Pennsylvania
Wisconsin

You can make the argument that North Carolina was close enough in 2020 to be on that list too. Still that means that the next four years of our country's leadership is being decided by just seven states. Posture all you want, but the reality is that in most of the other states, there is no chance for an upset and the people voting for the "losing" candidate are wasting their time even showing up. And your link to see the trend flip over time is irrelevant in this election. If there was a new candidate showing up or a major shift in a party's policies happening...that might be relevant, but in a re-run of 2020....it's going to be noise at the edges.

Tell me why I'm a bad person for wanting voting rights to require 2 forms of identification... like drivers license and birth certificate.

Pre-registration for online or mail in votes are fine too, but no one should vote ahead of election day.

Supervisors from each party watching the collection and transport of votes.

All votes to be counted measured by supervisors from both parties and then to be certified by the state's governor.

There should be heavy penalties for voter fraud... ZERO form of harassment/influence within 1 mile of voting locations.

I have no problem with people voting on either side, let's just make it legit-legit.

The whole Gregoire vs. Rossi was moronic.

They get counted....but in about 40 states...they don't really mean anything in any election. On the 270-to-win website, they have an interactive map that you can click around on to look at scenarios. On that map, the following is the list of states that are really deciding the 2024 election:

Arizona
Georgia
Michigan
Nevada
Pennsylvania
Wisconsin

You can make the argument that North Carolina was close enough in 2020 to be on that list too. Still that means that the next four years of our country's leadership is being decided by just seven states. Posture all you want, but the reality is that in most of the other states, there is no chance for an upset and the people voting for the "losing" candidate are wasting their time even showing up. And your link to see the trend flip over time is irrelevant in this election. If there was a new candidate showing up or a major shift in a party's policies happening...that might be relevant, but in a re-run of 2020....it's going to be noise at the edges.
So now you are saying that Haley should quit because it won't make any difference? I don't at all understand the view that a vote doesn't even count. Even if the one you want doesn't win in the state and in the nation, your vote is counted. And the more votes there are on the losing side it sends the message that your voices need to be heard also. In a state with 10,000,000 voters if the vote is split 55/45?, even 60/40, that is a good indication there are many people on the losing side that should be given consideration in policy issues. If the polls are running 60/40 and 3,000,000 of the ones in the minority stay home due to depression on the projected outcome, then the outcome becomes even worse at 6,500,000 to 1,500,000 and then what consideration will be given to the losers voices? None at all. If the outcome is close there remains the concern that the next vote could flip.

So now you are saying that Haley should quit because it won't make any difference? I don't at all understand the view that a vote doesn't even count. Even if the one you want doesn't win in the state and in the nation, your vote is counted. And the more votes there are on the losing side it sends the message that your voices need to be heard also. In a state with 10,000,000 voters if the vote is split 55/45?, even 60/40, that is a good indication there are many people on the losing side that should be given consideration in policy issues. If the polls are running 60/40 and 3,000,000 of the ones in the minority stay home due to depression on the projected outcome, then the outcome becomes even worse at 6,500,000 to 1,500,000 and then what consideration will be given to the losers voices? None at all. If the outcome is close there remains the concern that the next vote could flip.
This is naive. If 49.9999% vote against a candidate, you know what message is sent? They win.

I’ll say it again: the all or nothing electoral distribution discounts and discards the votes of anyone who doesn’t back the winner. In 2020, Biden got 58% of the popular vote in Washington, and that gave him 100% of the electoral votes. 42% of votes cast were irrelevant.

Adopting the Maine-Nebraska distribution still doesn’t reflect the popular vote (and I don’t think it should) but it doesn’t completely discard 42% of voters.

This is naive. If 49.9999% vote against a candidate, you know what message is sent? They win.

I’ll say it again: the all or nothing electoral distribution discounts and discards the votes of anyone who doesn’t back the winner. In 2020, Biden got 58% of the popular vote in Washington, and that gave him 100% of the electoral votes. 42% of votes cast were irrelevant.

Adopting the Maine-Nebraska distribution still doesn’t reflect the popular vote (and I don’t think it should) but it doesn’t completely discard 42% of voters.

I wish that politicians actually cared what their constituents think....but they don't. Kansas had an abortion amendment on the ballot last year that lost handily. It was obvious that despite its conservative roots, the majority of Kansans didn't want to completely outlaw abortion.

The response of the state legislature? Proposing new anti-abortion legislation. If they don't care about what the majority of Kansans think, imagine how little they care about constituents that are in the minority.

Reactions: Coug1990
If the ballot has Trump v Biden, I will not participate in this election, the first time I've ever done that since I turned 18. It’s a shameful, disgusting proposition having to choose the lesser of two evils and I refuse to participate in a system that forces me to do so.
If the ballot has Trump and Biden we should have to write in our votes with feather and ink and send them by raven to the capital.

Tell me why I'm a bad person for wanting voting rights to require 2 forms of identification... like drivers license and birth certificate.

Pre-registration for online or mail in votes are fine too, but no one should vote ahead of election day.

Supervisors from each party watching the collection and transport of votes.

All votes to be counted measured by supervisors from both parties and then to be certified by the state's governor.

There should be heavy penalties for voter fraud... ZERO form of harassment/influence within 1 mile of voting locations.

I have no problem with people voting on either side, let's just make it legit-legit.

The whole Gregoire vs. Rossi was moronic.
That's just MORE crazy stuff right there!

I wish that politicians actually cared what their constituents think....but they don't. Kansas had an abortion amendment on the ballot last year that lost handily. It was obvious that despite its conservative roots, the majority of Kansans didn't want to completely outlaw abortion.

The response of the state legislature? Proposing new anti-abortion legislation. If they don't care about what the majority of Kansans think, imagine how little they care about constituents that are in the minority.
Perhaps they cared more about the tiny little folks that just haven't poked their heads out of the birth canal yet than they did those grown up folks that want to execute the tiny little people? Just a possibility.

Perhaps they cared more about the tiny little folks that just haven't poked their heads out of the birth canal yet than they did those grown up folks that want to execute the tiny little people? Just a possibility.

The point of the discussion was that politicians don’t care about the needs, wants and beliefs of their constituents in general and definitely don’t care what the “losing” voters want.

Whether you or I agree with the beliefs of the constituents is a different conversation.

IMHO the Electoral College should never go away. Take WA state as an example. Majority of the state votes R. The Seattle votes D. More people in Seattle and control the state. Now take the country NYC, LA, Chicago, Philly. Those 4 cities could control the entire country with their votes. Smaller states will be left out and not all voices being heard

IMHO the Electoral College should never go away. Take WA state as an example. Majority of the state votes R. The Seattle votes D. More people in Seattle and control the state. Now take the country NYC, LA, Chicago, Philly. Those 4 cities could control the entire country with their votes. Smaller states will be left out and not all voices being heard
Um that is sort of the way democracy works. One vote, one person. Doesn't matter where you live.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT