ADVERTISEMENT

Andre Dillard

Coug1990

Hall Of Fame
Gold Member
Dec 22, 2002
Here is a scouting report from Seahawk Draft Blog after watching film of practice at the Senior Bowl:

"Washington State’s Andre Dillard was getting first round buzz before Mobile but that was practically confirmed here. After a terrific performance on Tuesday and (reportedly) an even better display on Wednesday — Dillard capped things off with a dominating rep against Jaylon Ferguson today. It was men against boys stuff. Dillard controlled the block, Ferguson desperately tried to disengage but couldn’t. He was attempting a counter, he was trying to shake Dillard off. No dice. It was an outstanding display of finishing a block. It really feels like it’s no longer a question of whether Dillard goes in round one — it’s a case of how early could he go with teams always desperate for good pass-protecting left tackles."

We all knew how good Dillard has been. Now, the rest of the country is finding out.

Here is the link to the website http://seahawksdraftblog.com/

Here is a scouting report from Seahawk Draft Blog after watching film of practice at the Senior Bowl:

"Washington State’s Andre Dillard was getting first round buzz before Mobile but that was practically confirmed here. After a terrific performance on Tuesday and (reportedly) an even better display on Wednesday — Dillard capped things off with a dominating rep against Jaylon Ferguson today. It was men against boys stuff. Dillard controlled the block, Ferguson desperately tried to disengage but couldn’t. He was attempting a counter, he was trying to shake Dillard off. No dice. It was an outstanding display of finishing a block. It really feels like it’s no longer a question of whether Dillard goes in round one — it’s a case of how early could he go with teams always desperate for good pass-protecting left tackles."

We all knew how good Dillard has been. Now, the rest of the country is finding out.

Yea, but he hasn’t played with his hand in the dirt.

Dillard will probably be missed more than any other player.

Last edited:

See, McGary should of went to WSU and gotten better coaching at the oline position. Betcha Miller is Oregon's next target. If you can't beat them...then steal their coaches.

Seahawks won't draft him unless it's in the 207th round. He hasn't been a volleyball or basketball player.......

Reactions: taf88
Yea, but he hasn’t played with his hand in the dirt.

Are you really trying to tell me Air raid olineman have not been downgraded because of the system they play in? This is an sincere question. You haven't heard John Clayton rail about the dearth of olineman and how hard they are to evaluate?

And you do get the nuance about saying they haven't played with their hand in the dirt, don't you? Joe dahl referenced just that was an adjustment. when NFL scouts and coaches talk about about "playing with their hand on the ground", they are speaking way more than bending over and getting in a three point stance.

It had to do with their initial step, it has to do with your balance coming out of the stance, how they know the line calls, the combo blocks they might have with a TE. Of of which the NFL has really never seen from an air raid olineman. Why do you think Leach rails on the NFL and their ability to evaluate players? You think this is all made up?

How many olinemen has Mike Leach ever had drafted in the first round? How many air raid olinemen have been taken in the first round in the last 18 years?

I said it years ago Dillard has first round talent. He should be picked in the first round. And when the NFL gets a hold of his tape, they ask the question to their scouts why WSU couldn't pick up a third or fourth and 1 going behind Dillard and McConnell. How will he convert to a more traditional left tackle, and can he do it within the first year of his contract.

Are you really trying to tell me Air raid olineman have not been downgraded because of the system they play in? This is an sincere question. You haven't heard John Clayton rail about the dearth of olineman and how hard they are to evaluate?

And you do get the nuance about saying they haven't played with their hand in the dirt, don't you? Joe dahl referenced just that was an adjustment. when NFL scouts and coaches talk about about "playing with their hand on the ground", they are speaking way more than bending over and getting in a three point stance.

It had to do with their initial step, it has to do with your balance coming out of the stance, how they know the line calls, the combo blocks they might have with a TE. Of of which the NFL has really never seen from an air raid olineman. Why do you think Leach rails on the NFL and their ability to evaluate players? You think this is all made up?

How many olinemen has Mike Leach ever had drafted in the first round? How many air raid olinemen have been taken in the first round in the last 18 years?

I said it years ago Dillard has first round talent. He should be picked in the first round. And when the NFL gets a hold of his tape, they ask the question to their scouts why WSU couldn't pick up a third or fourth and 1 going behind Dillard and McConnell. How will he convert to a more traditional left tackle, and can he do it within the first year of his contract.

Equating Clayton with a pro scout and then Dillard to McConnell? Give it a rest. I'm confused as to what you're trying to prove.

Equating Clayton with a pro scout and then Dillard to McConnell? Give it a rest. I'm confused as to what you're trying to prove.

Fro...My only point is Clayton talks about the dearth of lineman, and the people he has contacts with in the NFL point to the spread and the air raid as being hard to evaluate and harder in the transition. Why is that so hard to understand? You have never heard of the players that are in the air raid being snubbed by the NFL? Leach personally has mentioned several of his players.

It just cracks me up anyone that believes this hasn't been the NFL's thinking over the course of the last 18 years.

In terms of what the NFL is looking for in an NFL tackle, Dillard checks a lot of the boxes. Great feet, size, etc. But they are at the senior bowl, they always mention how well a player is doing, Then comes the combine and they scrutinize everything. The NFL will not know how Dillard will perform once he is asked to "put his hand in the dirt", which means run what the NFL traditionally runs. How do you think Dillard is a as a drive blocker? Is he on par with say Duane Brown of the Seahawks? How do you know, have you ever seen him do it?

And the point is simple. Until now, the NFL has snubbed the players in this system as system players, thus they don't get drafted where they should. Take the two Patriot receivers, they have been as productive as most first round picks. Yet they are a product of the system, A lot of draft analyst thought Cole Madison was in the top three rounds, he went in the 5th. Why?

Wow. That's a lot of gibberish, with a lot of questions that have zero relevance to Andre Dillard. Scouts asking about our 3rd and 4th down conversion success, John Clayton, Leach and his linemen getting drafted. Man, you really just mumbled on like Billy Madison's comparing the Industrial Revolution to the Puppy Who Lost it's Way.

All I can say now is that it's a passing league now, Ed. NFL is putting $100M in their QB's. They want the best pass protecting LT available. Dillard's it. Dahl and Dillard are apple and oranges. Dillard has longer arms, bigger hands, is faster, more athletic. Congrats on saying Dillard was a 1st round pick. It's just so weird that you're fighting so hard so that he's not.

Fro...My only point is Clayton talks about the dearth of lineman, and the people he has contacts with in the NFL point to the spread and the air raid as being hard to evaluate and harder in the transition. Why is that so hard to understand? You have never heard of the players that are in the air raid being snubbed by the NFL? Leach personally has mentioned several of his players.

It just cracks me up anyone that believes this hasn't been the NFL's thinking over the course of the last 18 years.

In terms of what the NFL is looking for in an NFL tackle, Dillard checks a lot of the boxes. Great feet, size, etc. But they are at the senior bowl, they always mention how well a player is doing, Then comes the combine and they scrutinize everything. The NFL will not know how Dillard will perform once he is asked to "put his hand in the dirt", which means run what the NFL traditionally runs. How do you think Dillard is a as a drive blocker? Is he on par with say Duane Brown of the Seahawks? How do you know, have you ever seen him do it?

And the point is simple. Until now, the NFL has snubbed the players in this system as system players, thus they don't get drafted where they should. Take the two Patriot receivers, they have been as productive as most first round picks. Yet they are a product of the system, A lot of draft analyst thought Cole Madison was in the top three rounds, he went in the 5th. Why?

Sounds like Cole went where he should have gone.

http://draftanalyst.com/cole-madison

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/cole-madison?id=32462018-0002-5598-38db-9933d4c8e0b2

http://walterfootball.com/draft2018OT.php (rated 29th OT in the draft projected 6th to free agent)

Wow. That's a lot of gibberish, with a lot of questions that have zero relevance to Andre Dillard. Scouts asking about our 3rd and 4th down conversion success, John Clayton, Leach and his linemen getting drafted. Man, you really just mumbled on like Billy Madison's comparing the Industrial Revolution to the Puppy Who Lost it's Way.

All I can say now is that it's a passing league now, Ed. NFL is putting $100M in their QB's. They want the best pass protecting LT available. Dillard's it. Dahl and Dillard are apple and oranges. Dillard has longer arms, bigger hands, is faster, more athletic. Congrats on saying Dillard was a 1st round pick. It's just so weird that you're fighting so hard so that he's not.

I am not fighting anything. Please just show me in the age of the passing league where an Air raid OT has been taken in the first round. I am saying simply history is not on his side. And he looks great, looked great as a soph with his feet. I said back then he is a first round talent. The combine is there to find warts. That is a simple fact and has everything to do with anyone who is being evaluated.

So why the QB's have been making tons of dough for the last 20 years, show me the money that has been paid to first round draft picks that have come from the Air Raid offenses?

I am not fighting anything. Please just show me in the age of the passing league where an Air raid OT has been taken in the first round. I am saying simply history is not on his side. And he looks great, looked great as a soph with his feet. I said back then he is a first round talent. The combine is there to find warts. That is a simple fact and has everything to do with anyone who is being evaluated.

So why the QB's have been making tons of dough for the last 20 years, show me the money that has been paid to first round draft picks that have come from the Air Raid offenses?

You really are an ediot.

Reactions: WASH ST A&M FAN
You really are an ediot.

Which part makes me an Ediot?. Please spell Ediot correctly, and pay your trademark infringement to Biggs Coug.

Not sure what part you are having a hard time with, but be that as it may. i personally said two years ago I thought Dillard has first round talent. And if he is taken in the first round if my memory serves me correctly he will be the highest taken Olimen from WSU in the modern era of the draft.

Let me give you another opinion, if Dillard does get picked in the first round IMHO Lucas will go even higher when he comes out.

Last edited:
FWIW, Many NFL players and coaches, don't agree with much of anything John Clayton says. Yes he had a gig on ESPN, had contact with many players and coaches, and he has a lot of knowledge about the game, but that doesn't make him an expert on analyzing talent.

Ed, everything your saying is right, EXCEPT FOR 1 THING.

THE NFL IS NOT ONLY A PASSING LEAGUE, BUT IS NOW ALSO THE AIR RAID LEAGUE NOW, RECENTLY.

1. Patriots, Rams, Chiefs are Air Raid Teams. Air Raid team like those named above are winning more games, going to more playoffs, more super bowls then non air raid traditional teams.

2. The NFL is now in a MAD DASH for anything, everything AIR RAID. DOESNT MATTER THAT ALMOST NEVER EVER DONE IN PAST. Your missing the point ED. THEY ARE, WILL BE DOING IT NOW. PAST IS IRRELEVANT.

3. As proof of point 2 above. KLIFF KINGSBURY going from being fired as POSITION coach to being hired as HEAD COACH of AZ Cardinals in NFL. That is almost never ever done ED. Why would the NFL do that now? Answer: The NFL is so DESPERATE for AIR RAID PLAYERS, COACHES ETC, that a NFL team would hire KLIFF KINGSBURY a AIR RAID COACH.

IF the NFL would do that, it isnt a stretch that the NFL would draft Dillard as a first round pick.

4. REREAD THE OP(ORIGINAL POST). That is not just NFL pundits, color people, media, etc, saying nice things.

It is a PROFESSIONAL EXPERT FROM THE SEATTLE SEAHAWKS showing a example of Dillard DRIVE BLOCKING on a Pass Block against one of the best defensive lineman in the entire nation, where the DL cant escape, get off block where THE MAN Dillard made the best DL look like a BOY.

THEN THAT EXPERT SAID THAT DILLARD WILL BE TAKEN IN THE FIRST ROUND.

5. Brent posted 3 CREDIBLE, LEGIT links that are EXPERTS, one of which IS FROM THE NFL AND REPS THE NFL ITSELF THAT SAY THAT DILLARD WILL BE 1ST ROUND.

6. THE ONLY WAY DILLARD WILL NOT BE FIRST ROUND IS IF DILLARD BLOWS HIS INTERVIEW, BLOWS THE COMBINE.

AND NOT BECAUSE OF HIM BEING IN THE AIR RAID.

7. YOUR NOT READING, LISTENING, UNDERSTANDING LOGIC, FACTS, REASON, THE EXPERTS, ETC.

YOUR STUCK IN YOUR FLAWED ILLOGICAL FLAWED LOGIC

AS MR SPOCK WOULD SAY YOUR BEING A EDIOT, AND YOUR ILLOGICAL AGAIN.

DONE BECAUSE TRYING TO REASON WITH ED IS LIKE BEATING ONE'S HEAD AGAINST A BRICK WALL

AND EXPECTING DIFFERENT RESULTS IS INSANITY.

Also Dillard and O'Connell are night and day difference. Dillard is a big athletic lineman. O'Connell is a very big lineman, and a great college lineman. However, his quickness and athletic ability aren't at the level of Dillard's, and for this reason he would get beat by a lot of quick defense ends in the NFL. It has nothing to do with the AirRaid

I will take that as you can't find one taken in the first round. check.

Why do you choose to ignore the links that I provided that show him going in the first round? Why do you choose to ignore that Madison got drafted where he was projected? Why are you comparing Dahl to Dillard? That's like comparing Tuel to Leaf. You can't compare the two. One has shorter arms, smaller hands, worse feet and runs a 40 at around 5.4.

No, from recent searches I have not found a OT from the Air Raid in the first round. But I did find that two OT's from the Air Raid are projected to be first round picks this year. But you can chose what you want to believe and what you don't. Just like you said to win at WSU you need to have rebuilds every 3 years, that winning every year isn't possible.

You asked about QB's but I don't even know what the question is because it was so poorly written. Mahomes, Goff and Mayfield are all in their rookie contracts, but I would guess when they are up they'll get paid a crap ton of money.

Ed, everything your saying is right, EXCEPT FOR 1 THING.

THE NFL IS NOT ONLY A PASSING LEAGUE, BUT IS NOW ALSO THE AIR RAID LEAGUE NOW, RECENTLY.

1. Patriots, Rams, Chiefs are Air Raid Teams. Air Raid team like those named above are winning more games, going to more playoffs, more super bowls then non air raid traditional teams.

2. The NFL is now in a MAD DASH for anything, everything AIR RAID. DOESNT MATTER THAT ALMOST NEVER EVER DONE IN PAST. Your missing the point ED. THEY ARE, WILL BE DOING IT NOW. PAST IS IRRELEVANT.

3. As proof of point 2 above. KLIFF KINGSBURY going from being fired as POSITION coach to being hired as HEAD COACH of AZ Cardinals in NFL. That is almost never ever done ED. Why would the NFL do that now? Answer: The NFL is so DESPERATE for AIR RAID PLAYERS, COACHES ETC, that a NFL team would hire KLIFF KINGSBURY a AIR RAID COACH.

IF the NFL would do that, it isnt a stretch that the NFL would draft Dillard as a first round pick.

4. REREAD THE OP(ORIGINAL POST). That is not just NFL pundits, color people, media, etc, saying nice things.

It is a PROFESSIONAL EXPERT FROM THE SEATTLE SEAHAWKS showing a example of Dillard DRIVE BLOCKING on a Pass Block against one of the best defensive lineman in the entire nation, where the DL cant escape, get off block where THE MAN Dillard made the best DL look like a BOY.

THEN THAT EXPERT SAID THAT DILLARD WILL BE TAKEN IN THE FIRST ROUND.

5. Brent posted 3 CREDIBLE, LEGIT links that are EXPERTS, one of which IS FROM THE NFL AND REPS THE NFL ITSELF THAT SAY THAT DILLARD WILL BE 1ST ROUND.

6. THE ONLY WAY DILLARD WILL NOT BE FIRST ROUND IS IF DILLARD BLOWS HIS INTERVIEW, BLOWS THE COMBINE.

AND NOT BECAUSE OF HIM BEING IN THE AIR RAID.

7. YOUR NOT READING, LISTENING, UNDERSTANDING LOGIC, FACTS, REASON, THE EXPERTS, ETC.

YOUR STUCK IN YOUR FLAWED ILLOGICAL FLAWED LOGIC

AS MR SPOCK WOULD SAY YOUR BEING A EDIOT, AND YOUR ILLOGICAL AGAIN.

DONE BECAUSE TRYING TO REASON WITH ED IS LIKE BEATING ONE'S HEAD AGAINST A BRICK WALL

AND EXPECTING DIFFERENT RESULTS IS INSANITY.

Well Mik, double K is the experiment, no question. You know the three links, did you ever notice they have mock 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 4.0? I get Dillard is getting tons of love right now and that is great. I get why they love him. Love him for the same reason I thought he was our best lineman even as a soph. He has good size and great feet.

If I asked you to bet 1,000 dollars based on past performance and how the NFL views olineman, would you bet 1k on Dillard getting drafted in first round or not getting drafted in first round? I simply say since this is the air raid which really has one air raid disciple in Klingsbury, show me how many air raid olineman have been taken in the first round from that offense. That would make your case better to me. Now if your argument is you THINK this is the year things are turned on their head and they will make that move sure I will buy it. But I also know the combine how they pick a kid apart for even the most minor things.

And yes there are air raid concepts. How many TE's does Leach deploy? Patriots? Rams?

So I will stand corrected when Dillard is picked in the first round or I can find another air raid lineman that has been picked that high.

Did ya likes his hips Ed, I knows your a big-time hip watcher.

Why do you choose to ignore the links that I provided that show him going in the first round? Why do you choose to ignore that Madison got drafted where he was projected? Why are you comparing Dahl to Dillard? That's like comparing Tuel to Leaf. You can't compare the two. One has shorter arms, smaller hands, worse feet and runs a 40 at around 5.4.

No, from recent searches I have not found a OT from the Air Raid in the first round. But I did find that two OT's from the Air Raid are projected to be first round picks this year. But you can chose what you want to believe and what you don't. Just like you said to win at WSU you need to have rebuilds every 3 years, that winning every year isn't possible.

You asked about QB's but I don't even know what the question is because it was so poorly written. Mahomes, Goff and Mayfield are all in their rookie contracts, but I would guess when they are up they'll get paid a crap ton of money.

I don't ignore the projections. Clearly Dillard is in the conversation. I have no question that is a huge step. But let me turn it around on you, why do you take those projections as remotely gospel. Take a peek at Brooks second projections from last year, not post combine. He was wrong on almost half. Like I have said now four times, I fully believe Dillard has first round talent. I don't fully believe he will be taken in the first round because I HAVENT seen that they will invest in a lineman from the air raid in round 1.

I believe what I said about rebuilds is that I EXPECT (my expectations) a rebuild every three years because the best WSU had ever done to that point in my lifetime, covering 50 plus years is a three year winning streak. And I had no problem with having a rebuild every three years. Now, two things changed. One, we got a coach with a winning history and also our need to schedule body bag games had come to an end. But like with Dillard, show me a time in WSU's history before 2018 that had ever won more than three winning seasons in a row in the last 50 years.

Let me rewrite the comment about the qb's. The NFL has been paying QB's a ton of money for years now. Why have they not ever dipped into the air raid to get a lineman to protect the QB before now? And you get the three qb's you have mentioned (while I think one is a super star, one is really good, and the other I am not sure about) they are new to the scene. If your argument is this is the trend and lineman are soon to follow, I may agree but would have to see the nfl jump in with both feet first.

Did ya likes his hips Ed, I knows your a big-time hip watcher.
FWIW, Many NFL players and coaches, don't agree with much of anything John Clayton says. Yes he had a gig on ESPN, had contact with many players and coaches, and he has a lot of knowledge about the game, but that doesn't make him an expert on analyzing talent.

I never said it made him an expert in judging talent. I said the comments he made came from his contacts in the NFL that formulate his opinion, and points to the greater point this has been talked about before, it isn't some idea CougEd came up with.

Seriously

ED what would you rate your Football overall knowledge from a scale from 1-10 ?

I’m honestly curious?

Clayton sucks. He has no original thoughts or opinions but parrots what other experts hAve said. He constantly forgets names and knows very little about actual football schematically. Half of his show is him saying “You know, well, cause it’s like” while he tries to grasp for air. He should just stick talking about salary cap.

Clayton sucks. He has no original thoughts or opinions but parrots what other experts hAve said. He constantly forgets names and knows very little about actual football schematically. Half of his show is him saying “You know, well, cause it’s like” while he tries to grasp for air. He should just stick talking about salary cap.

Whether he sucks or not wasn’t the point. The point has been this a a subject that isn’t a CougEd original .

Seriously

ED what would you rate your Football overall knowledge from a scale from 1-10 ?

I’m honestly curious?

Gotta answer a question with a question —- are you grading on a curve and I take it you are on the bottom of the curve. That alone pushes my rating up .

Reactions: metprof
And you know this how?

Through business dealings I have meet 2 different NFL assistant coaches, an OL coach, and a QB coach. I also have met several former Seahawk players,. and one I would classify as a good friend as I have stayed at his home several times, and he at mine, and we vacation together from time to time. None of them pay much if any attention to what Clayton says. I know KIRO, and ESPN sold him as an expert, just saying there are many in the game that disagree with many of the things he says.

Through business dealings I have meet 2 different NFL assistant coaches, an OL coach, and a QB coach. I also have met several former Seahawk players,. and one I would classify as a good friend as I have stayed at his home several times, and he at mine, and we vacation together from time to time. None of them pay much if any attention to what Clayton says. I know KIRO, and ESPN sold him as an expert, just saying there are many in the game that disagree with many of the things he says.

He’s got a database!

Have they disagreed with his comments about a dearth of ready olineman from the college level and the reason why? Do you think his opinions are simply formed when he is by himself and comes up with crazy ideas or by talking to the people in the industry.?

Have they disagreed with his comments about a dearth of ready olineman from the college level and the reason why? Do you think his opinions are simply formed when he is by himself and comes up with crazy ideas or by talking to the people in the industry.?

Just let it go, Ed. We'll find out in 3 months if Dillard is exception to the norm.

Reactions: mikalalas
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT