ADVERTISEMENT

Andrew Luck retiring?

How do you know he had the same level of injury as “countless members of the general population....”? Given you need a brain in hand to test for CTE, it’s an impossibility to know what a) the severity range and b) distribution of injury exists across the population.
The percentage of 100 plus? NFL players who have donated their brain...probably knew they had CTE. Some are projecting 20-30% of all NFL players will eventually wind up feeling the effects later on in life.

The percentage of 100 plus? NFL players who have donated their brain...probably knew they had CTE. Some are projecting 20-30% of all NFL players will eventually wind up feeling the effects later on in life.

Well Tony Dorsett is feeling the effects, as is Gayle Sayers. I would be curious to see the running backs from Walden's veer, or the Houston Veer or all the wishbone offenses that would send in the line a dive back only to take repeated hits and wonder what their conditions are today.

That’s my point—testing has not been random. Saying TH is similar to the general population and attributing his suicide to depression or poor football/school performance is irresponsible and probably very upsetting to his family and friends.

Last edited:
Yowzer, gotta agree with Fab on this one. The reason Seau killed himself is on him, not anyone else. No one made Junior play ball, he played it because at one time he loved it.

If Biggs is the reason then we all are the reason. Players get hurt, sometimes tragically altering their lives. Daryl Stingley was paralyzed in a football game, and while that affected me at the moment, I still played and I still to this day watch the game. Guess what, if there is no demand for college or pro football, then no one gets injured. We have football because we want it and supply meets demand.

What is a bigger take away is this....Tyler Hillinski may be a very key study that tells us if it is a series of hits, or if one hit like the one he took at Arizona was the defining hit. If they discover that one hit can turn a happy go lucky kid to one that committed suicide then the game will for ever be altered.

From all that I have read his "depression" was undetected, no one knew, or it has been said no one knew.

Your first paragraph tells me that you learned absolutely nothing from the death of Tyler....or Seau. Seau had no idea that football was going to destroy his brain until it was too late. Frankly, it's only been since his death that people have taken CTE seriously. You are correct that we all have culpability, but one difference is that some people are choosing to acknowledge that it's up to each individual player to know when to play or not play and for coaches and fans to respect that.....not talk sh!t about not respecting the opportunity.

That’s my point—testing has not been random. Saying TH is similar to the general population and attributing his suicide to depression or poor football/school performance is irresponsible and probably very upsetting to his family and friends.
I was supporting your point.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT