ADVERTISEMENT

Andrew Luck retiring?

Wow. Sucks, I was always a big fan.
Yeah, so how does this turn out? I can’t imagine Jacoby Brissett is going to be their guy. Best free agents available seem to be Sam Bradford and Colin Kaepernick. Is there a potential starter playing #2 somewhere that the Colts can afford - and whose current team would part with them?

Is Eli Manning about to be a Colt?

What a boring guy. I cant imagine him being much of a leader.

What injuries has he had???

After only what about 7,8,9 seasons?

Did he get a football ending injury?

Usually NFL QB's play for at least 16 years, not 7,8,9, unless they have a bad enough injury.

would be understandable if had a bad enough injury, or if he was a 2,3,4 string QB, etc.

But he was AWESOME NFL QB, who had, with many great years left.

So why retire now?

Doesnt make sense.

Oh well, his choice.

Hope he doesnt have too many regrets about, if he is quitting, retiring too early.

Usually NFL QB's play for at least 16 years, not 7,8,9, unless they have a bad enough injury.

would be understandable if had a bad enough injury, or if he was a 2,3,4 string QB, etc.

So why retire now?

Doesnt make sense.

Oh well, his choice.

Hope he doesnt have too many regrets about, if he is quitting, retiring too early.

He was injured. If you would read the story, or if you had just followed the news the last few years you would know that. Oh, right.

Reactions: SilverStateCoug

So why retire now?

Doesnt make sense.

Oh well, his choice.

Did you just write 7,8, 9 when saying how long Luck played? You do realize that it’s not a variable number....right?

So why retire now?

Doesnt make sense.

Oh well, his choice.

16 years? Not so fast my friend—the average QB career is 3 years, so QBs most definitely don’t “usually play at least 16 years.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.si.com/nfl/2016/03/01/nfl-careers-shortened-two-years-data-analysis

He was injured. If you would read the story, or if you had just followed the news the last few years you would know that. Oh, right.

I know he's been injured. I was asking what injuries. If you read my post you would know that. Oh, right.

But he was AWESOME NFL QB,
Wasn’t replying to you turd. If you looked at who I was replying to you would know that. Oh, right
And football season is officially back!

Reactions: GrayOnGray

I don't have a beef with a guy taking the time he needs to get healthy. More than fair. But retiring? At 29 years old?

His decision to make. It makes me wonder how bad he wants to play ball. Cause there are guys out there that would accept all his issues and more to run down the field on special teams or even be on the prep team. He took down $20,000,000 per year.

I don't have a beef with a guy taking the time he needs to get healthy. More than fair. But retiring? At 29 years old?

His decision to make. It makes me wonder how bad he wants to play ball. Cause there are guys out there that would accept all his issues and more to run down the field on special teams or even be on the prep team. He took down $20,000,000 per year.
I don’t know if you saw his presser but he was pretty clear that the injuries and mental anguish of rehab killed his joy and desire to play. And therefor he felt it wasn’t fair to his teammates for him to continue. It’s sad, but respectable. If you and generations after you are set for life why destroy your body to the point that you can’t play with your kids...he probably realized if he as the QB and highest paid player wasn’t into it mentally than any chance of a Super Bowl wasn’t likely either.

You need to take a step back from the mentality of football in your heyday. Tyler Hilinski killed himself at 21 years old and the general consensus was that his suicide was driven by CTE. You have absolutely no idea of what it's like to be in Luck's shoes and it is incredibly presumptuous for you to assume that he should respect the opportunity he had. The macho BS attitudes of the old days is why guys like Junior Seau stuck a gun to his chest and killed himself so that his brain could be studied.

I have a co-worker who played football at Iowa State who says that his knees sound like rice crispies in the morning when he gets up. Luck leaving opens up a spot for one of those guys that you apparently care about that didn't get their shot. Judging a dude because he doesn't want to destroy his body for your entertainment isn't something I'm going to do, but hey, if you feel like doing talking sh!t about Andrew Luck's motivation and character, you need to realize that people like you are why former players are committing suicide and there are players that are walking around like cripples in their 40's. They felt that they had to "play through it"......and it cost them.

Well the way I see it, Luck signed a contract in 2016 for 23 million a year. Probably has $20 million plus put away in investments. He can live a lavish lifestyle into his 80's and never risk injury again, so I get it.. Can't blame him, I am sure it wasn't easy, but Luck probably knew he was never going to be 100% again, so if you can't play to you full capability, all the more reason to not continue.

Well the way I see it, Luck signed a contract in 2016 for 23 million a year. Probably has $20 million plus put away in investments. He can live a lavish lifestyle into his 80's and never risk injury again, so I get it.. Can't blame him, I am sure it wasn't easy, but Luck probably knew he was never going to be 100% again, so if you can't play to you full capability, all the more reason to not continue.
Sukanic pointed out that his wife threatened divorce if he continued....so there was some things behind the scenes going on.

I don’t know if you saw his presser but he was pretty clear that the injuries and mental anguish of rehab killed his joy and desire to play. And therefor he felt it wasn’t fair to his teammates for him to continue. It’s sad, but respectable. If you and generations after you are set for life why destroy your body to the point that you can’t play with your kids...he probably realized if he as the QB and highest paid player wasn’t into it mentally than any chance of a Super Bowl wasn’t likely either.

Gronk said pretty much the same thing today.

Sukanic pointed out that his wife threatened divorce if he continued....so there was some things behind the scenes going on.
Well that’ll change your perspective if the choice to continue also includes giving up half of the $$ you already made...screw that!

Well that’ll change your perspective if the choice to continue also includes giving up half of the $$ you already made...screw that!
There is one situation I'd like to think the judge would side with Mr. Luck...
"Your honor, I'm filing for divorce to because my husband won't give up his gainful employment to provide for us, his family, and to give us a luxurious life."
"Cased dismissed, my ruling is in favor of Mr. Luck. Mrs. Luck, you may go pound sand."

There is one situation I'd like to think the judge would side with Mr. Luck...
"Your honor, I'm filing for divorce to because my husband won't give up his gainful employment to provide for us, his family, and to give us a luxurious life."
"Cased dismissed, my ruling is in favor of Mr. Luck. Mrs. Luck, you may go pound sand."

It’s no fault nowadays. There doesn’t need to be a reason. You can petition for divorce based on irreconcilable differences.

It’s no fault nowadays. There doesn’t need to be a reason. You can petition for divorce based on irreconcilable differences.
He's got a kid on the way and maybe wants to be able to play catch and remember where the house is afterwards. Shame on her for wanting that after making a 100 million dollars already:)

You need to take a step back from the mentality of football in your heyday. Tyler Hilinski killed himself at 21 years old and the general consensus was that his suicide was driven by CTE. You have absolutely no idea of what it's like to be in Luck's shoes and it is incredibly presumptuous for you to assume that he should respect the opportunity he had. The macho BS attitudes of the old days is why guys like Junior Seau stuck a gun to his chest and killed himself so that his brain could be studied.

I have a co-worker who played football at Iowa State who says that his knees sound like rice crispies in the morning when he gets up. Luck leaving opens up a spot for one of those guys that you apparently care about that didn't get their shot. Judging a dude because he doesn't want to destroy his body for your entertainment isn't something I'm going to do, but hey, if you feel like doing talking sh!t about Andrew Luck's motivation and character, you need to realize that people like you are why former players are committing suicide and there are players that are walking around like cripples in their 40's. They felt that they had to "play through it"......and it cost them.

Dude. That is a super shitty thing to post.

Dude. That is a super shitty thing to post.

If someone doesn't like it, they shouldn't be talking sh!t about players who are retiring because they've spent years playing injured.

The macho attitudes of the past need to be altered if we want to enjoy football in the future. We all used to enjoy the big hits and the rough play of the "good old days", but when people are dying because of systemic brain injuries or crippled because of their dedication to the sport, there isn't any point in being nice to someone who doesn't get it.

If someone doesn't like it, they shouldn't be talking sh!t about players who are retiring because they've spent years playing injured.

The macho attitudes of the past need to be altered if we want to enjoy football in the future. We all used to enjoy the big hits and the rough play of the "good old days", but when people are dying because of systemic brain injuries or crippled because of their dedication to the sport, there isn't any point in being nice to someone who doesn't get it.

I can let Biggs speak for himself, and I can't wait till he does. I didn't read his post as talking shit.

Nonetheless, saying someone is the reason others are killing themselves is shitty.

I can let Biggs speak for himself, and I can't wait till he does. I didn't read his post as talking shit.

Nonetheless, saying someone is the reason others are killing themselves is shitty.

I have no idea what this is about. Most of the people on here I have blocked. I could only read so much of their drivel.

His decision to make. I wouldn't have drafted him in the first place. But that's another discussion.

Our bodies are strong. Put down your electronics, tell your gal you will see here after the battle, and go seek some physical activity

Yowzer, gotta agree with Fab on this one. The reason Seau killed himself is on him, not anyone else. No one made Junior play ball, he played it because at one time he loved it.

If Biggs is the reason then we all are the reason. Players get hurt, sometimes tragically altering their lives. Daryl Stingley was paralyzed in a football game, and while that affected me at the moment, I still played and I still to this day watch the game. Guess what, if there is no demand for college or pro football, then no one gets injured. We have football because we want it and supply meets demand.

What is a bigger take away is this....Tyler Hillinski may be a very key study that tells us if it is a series of hits, or if one hit like the one he took at Arizona was the defining hit. If they discover that one hit can turn a happy go lucky kid to one that committed suicide then the game will for ever be altered.

From all that I have read his "depression" was undetected, no one knew, or it has been said no one knew.

The level of brain damage Tyler Hilinski had might have been the beginning stages of CTE. A similar level of brain injury which can be found in countless members of the general population who haven't played football.

I don't buy for a second that one hit turned Tyler from a happy-go-lucky kid into a suicidal mess. This young man was clearly someone who had tremendous pressure placed on him from his family from a young age. His Arizona game performance coupled with laying an egg in the Holiday bowl would be hard for anyone to take. Tyler was a master at hiding his true feelings a skill that isn't learned when recovering from a concussion. He's been disguising his true feelings since probably elementary school.

At the risk of stating the obvious, lots of college students commit suicide every year. Especially kids with heavy expectations placed on them by society. Broken relationships, failing a big test, or another major relationship can lead to suicide. CTE isn't the leading cause for these suicides.

The level of brain damage Tyler Hilinski had might have been the beginning stages of CTE. A similar level of brain injury which can be found in countless members of the general population who haven't played football.

I don't buy for a second that one hit turned Tyler from a happy-go-lucky kid into a suicidal mess. This young man was clearly someone who had tremendous pressure placed on him from his family from a young age. His Arizona game performance coupled with laying an egg in the Holiday bowl would be hard for anyone to take. Tyler was a master at hiding his true feelings a skill that isn't learned when recovering from a concussion. He's been disguising his true feelings since probably elementary school.

At the risk of stating the obvious, lots of college students commit suicide every year. Especially kids with heavy expectations placed on them by society. Broken relationships, failing a big test, or another major relationship can lead to suicide. CTE isn't the leading cause for these suicides.

Maybe, but not sure that is what is being conveyed. I am not sure I would state what you have stated in such surety, but there has been one thing that was said and done that at least gave me pause that I hope that provides better answers about depression and CTE. And that is when he missed a work-out, and I know it was not common for him to do that, but for them to break down the door it would there appear on the surface to he some sort of urgency. Maybe that is a total misread on my part.

How do you know he had the same level of injury as “countless members of the general population....”? Given you need a brain in hand to test for CTE, it’s an impossibility to know what a) the severity range and b) distribution of injury exists across the population.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT