ADVERTISEMENT

Arconado

We need at least one possession receiver to make our version of the Air Raid work. Doesn't have to be explosive, but has to be able to get separation, make the catch, and hold on. Arconado is that guy this year, and it was pretty clear over the past couple of games that we don't really have anyone else right now that can fill that role.

We need at least one possession receiver to make our version of the Air Raid work. Doesn't have to be explosive, but has to be able to get separation, make the catch, and hold on. Arconado is that guy this year, and it was pretty clear over the past couple of games that we don't really have anyone else right now that can fill that role.
Not sure why Winston can’t fill that void?

Finger and 90, I'd say on paper you are right. And maybe Easop will get to that point. But Arconado's being out of action the last 2 weeks was clearly felt, and Easop (while a contributor) did not fill that specific need. I'd love for us to get to the point where we have two guys who can consistently do that. And maybe Winston will get there. At this point he seems to be a guy who tries to do a lot after the catch. That is not a bad thing, per se, but it is not what we're talking about with Arconado, whose first priority is to make that catch, regardless of whether something follows.

some guys have a knack for it, cracraft etc...

a possession receiver is like a tightend in this offense

I would guess Hobert is the next one although he is extrtemely athletic judging by his film

Finger and 90, I'd say on paper you are right. And maybe Easop will get to that point. But Arconado's being out of action the last 2 weeks was clearly felt, and Easop (while a contributor) did not fill that specific need. I'd love for us to get to the point where we have two guys who can consistently do that. And maybe Winston will get there. At this point he seems to be a guy who tries to do a lot after the catch. That is not a bad thing, per se, but it is not what we're talking about with Arconado, whose first priority is to make that catch, regardless of whether something follows.
I agree, which makes me wonder if Gordon just has a tendency to lock onto Arc as sort of a security blanket since no doubt those two have worked together a lot having worked their way up the depth chart together. If so, that's something Gordon needs to fix in his game: throw to the guys you have, not who you wish you have.

Agreed. Cracraft was so clutch (imagine if Minshew had Cra instead of him being wasted on Falk) and then it was a big step down in terms of talent and reps going from Cracraft to Sweet. And this year, it's just Arconado and it seems like he's played maybe 1/3 to 1/2 of offensive snaps?

Even better: having a TALL fast receiver like Vince Mayle and a possession guy. If you had those two threats plus a back like Borghi, you can't help but be honest as we could burn you over the middle, down the sideline or up the gut on every snap. Feels like right now we have 1 of those guys and at any given time he might not even be on the field.

I agree, which makes me wonder if Gordon just has a tendency to lock onto Arc as sort of a security blanket since no doubt those two have worked together a lot having worked their way up the depth chart together. If so, that's something Gordon needs to fix in his game: throw to the guys you have, not who you wish you have.

Gordon throws to the Z, Winston or Patmon, more than any other by a wide margin. Hopefully with Arconado back the distribution will even out some. With Arco back on film, defenses will have to start game planning for him too, instead of just Winston/Patmon. Utah made an effort to take Winston away.

I think Jamire Calvin can be that guy for us next year. If you look at his previous two years, he really does a great job of getting open just like Cracraft and Arcanado do. His only problem are his hands. A bit inconsistent but man he has been clutch when he's needed to be.

I think Jamire Calvin can be that guy for us next year. If you look at his previous two years, he really does a great job of getting open just like Cracraft and Arcanado do. His only problem are his hands. A bit inconsistent but man he has been clutch when he's needed to be.

I like where your head's at CiS. Red shirting will assist in getting Jamire healthy and hopefully an extra year to put on much needed weight/strength. Don't sleep on Joey Hobert. He will play next year and has that certain Z28 star quality about him. Expect him to be special!!

Arco's 40 time at his pro day will be important. He might be slower than Sweet. I'm not even sure he will run 4.7. Runs great routes and has great hands.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT