ADVERTISEMENT

Mateer

Loyal Coug1

Hall Of Fame
Aug 24, 2022
Thought I'd hit the hay, but hey I have no job and got sucked back into this loony bin. Ward is gone one way or another (Bye, you kinda sucked anyway, the NFL will laugh at you).

Mateer, Redshirt Freshman, and relatively unproven. So good for us on some longevity. Good arm, big kid, great wheels, what's not to like? Well except for his GQ looks, which I will leave alone.

He has looked pretty good in his limited appearances. I don't know if he is good enough to start somewhere as a true drop back passer; I don't know how well he reads the field, how quickly he can go through progressions, and how accurate he is. If he fits all those areas, then the spread with the occasional QB run is a good spot for him. But if his pure passing skills are not quite there, and if we have someone behind him, it might be time to play with some RPO. It is a real risk to run the RPO if you don't have two (and preferably 3) QB's, due to injury potential, but Mateer clearly can run...if by chance he could throw on the run (tough thing to do, but hey, I can dream), then some RPO would certainly make a DC's job more difficult. It would give us an edge, for sure.

Reactions: justinbgocougs
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT