ADVERTISEMENT

baylor problems mounting

Reactions: Coug95man2
Baylor, Briles, his son, the former university president, are pieces of crap. Baylor is a Baptist university, and Briles and Ken Starr were supposed to be and defined themselves as good christian men. Hypocrites.

There was someone on here after Briles was let go that thought he was a better coach than Leach. No, Briles just sold his soul to the devil.

Baylor has been a cess pool for a long time and long before Briles was coach. If any school has ever deserved the death penalty and exclusion from all sports....it's Baylor. Players murdering each other, drug dealing, raping and lord only knows what other crimes have been committed by their athletes over the years. And if you ever watch how their players act, it's clear that they have no standards when it comes to character.

Reactions: BleedCrimsonandGray
Baylor, Briles, his son, the former university president, are pieces of crap. Baylor is a Baptist university, and Briles and Ken Starr were supposed to be and defined themselves as good christian men. Hypocrites.

There was someone on here after Briles was let go that thought he was a better coach than Leach. No, Briles just sold his soul to the devil.

I am sure Sandusky was a good Christian man. As was Paterno. Does this really surprise you? Starr a guy who went after Clinton for his behavior and looks the other way on his own? That surprises you? Call me jaded but I am almost as surprised when they don't get caught with their pants down. Jim Baker, Swaggert, and many others didn't practice what they preached. With that said I am not sure that doesn't change the fact Briles is a brilliant coach. Morally defective sure. But I have seen other coaches look the other way.

Remember too...this is the school where a basketball player was murdered by another. It is clearly highly corrupted. They should disband sports completely to salvage their reputation as an academic institution.

Last edited:
I am sure Sandusky was a good Christian man. As was Paterno. Does this really surprise you? Starr a guy who went after Clinton for his behavior and looks the other way on his own? That surprises you? Call me jaded but I am almost as surprised when they don't get caught with their pants down. Jim Baker, Swaggert, and many others didn't practice what they preached. With that said I am not sure that doesn't change the fact Briles is a brilliant coach. Morally defective sure. But I have seen other coaches look the other way.
I'm sure Sandusky wasn't. By DEFINITION, he wasn't.

Reactions: GrayOnGray

My father was a Baptist Minister. And all my life, I saw my father torn apart by the community if he made the smallest mistake. At one point, he actually purchased a new car because a cop pulled him over because he was going 29 in a 25 or something... Lambasted my father because he was "sinning" and what kind of leader was he, on and on. He targeted my father for over a decade after that. Head light out? Ticket. Light out on the license plate? Ticket. A new car helped alleviate the visual. He wasn't pulled over as much after that. It got to the point where my father sat me and my brother down to say we shouldn't put bumper stickers on our car because it would make US targets. So for me, I don't normally like to dig on religious figures for being "human" or the religion. We all make mistakes and it isn't the religion, ANY religion, that causes people to make mistakes in their lives.

But 1990, you are SPOT on. What is going on in that University is horrid. IMHO, Death Penalty worthy.

Reactions: BiggsCoug
Baylor has been a cess pool for a long time and long before Briles was coach. If any school has ever deserved the death penalty and exclusion from all sports....it's Baylor. Players murdering each other, drug dealing, raping and lord only knows what other crimes have been committed by their athletes over the years. And if you ever watch how their players act, it's clear that they have no standards when it comes to character.
What is it about Baylor that's made it this way? Just no accountability from leadership? Is it a really easy school to get into or something?

What is it about Baylor that's made it this way? Just no accountability from leadership? Is it a really easy school to get into or something?

I think it had to do with them getting tired of getting beat up in everything and the success of TCU (which I assume is their rival since it's the other religious affiliated school)

Briles is a good coach, but also Baylor had a "win at all costs" attitude, and sure yes you will get success, but you will be judged for all the horrible stuff you turned a blind eye to get there.

No program is without its faults, but Baylor institutionalized its faults and denial and that is when things really go off the rails.

Notre Dame is another of those schools that has a very very dark side that they hide in the name of winning / piety.

I think it had to do with them getting tired of getting beat up in everything and the success of TCU (which I assume is their rival since it's the other religious affiliated school)

Briles is a good coach, but also Baylor had a "win at all costs" attitude, and sure yes you will get success, but you will be judged for all the horrible stuff you turned a blind eye to get there.

No program is without its faults, but Baylor institutionalized its faults and denial and that is when things really go off the rails.

Notre Dame is another of those schools that has a very very dark side that they hide in the name of winning / piety.
Do you think it started off this way? Kids felt they had carte blanche to date rape woman on campus, and that the coaches and administration would cover up for them? Or is it more likely it was a slow progression. Stealing something here, punching someone there? Boys will be boys type of deal. My guess is that it was smaller incidents that led to a permissiveness, and got out of control from there.

Do you think it started off this way? Kids felt they had carte blanche to date rape woman on campus, and that the coaches and administration would cover up for them? Or is it more likely it was a slow progression. Stealing something here, punching someone there? Boys will be boys type of deal. My guess is that it was smaller incidents that led to a permissiveness, and got out of control from there.

I think they felt like they had carte blanche because there wasn't disciplinary action against anyone from the the top.

People will get away with what they think they can get away with and know they won't be held accountable for it.

If you steal and you aren't booted from the team it says a message that you can steal and nothing will happen to you.
Same with sexual assault etc. If there are NEVER consequences for actions that creates an environment where that behavior is allowed and can happen.

At WSU we had people like Laurenzi steal after being told that is an offense where you are booted. He stole, and he got booted for it.
D. Brown was given a chance to see how his accusations bore out in court. He eventually was booted for his behavior. Etc. etc.

You have to have discipline AND due process.

There will always be issues because on a team of 100+ young males you are going to have incidents and issues, but if there is no discipline and there is no due process...well you get situations like Baylor.

As to how it started. I think it's a clear process that they had institutionalized from the top on cover up / what to do. This is very different from allowing the legal process to do its job. That's a "screw the legal system we will just hide it and cover the tracks" policy.

That tells me that its institutionalised and not a gradual thing. Somebody made that policy.

Agree 100%. FWIW, this policy predates TCU's relevance. Along the lines of the thinking above (worrying about being able to compete), it's important to note that nobody actually wanted Baylor in the Big XII. The Texas Board of Regents had a Baylor alum who had significant influence and they wouldn't sign off on getting Texas and Texas A&M into the conference without Baylor. They've had something to prove ever since.

Agree 100%. FWIW, this policy predates TCU's relevance. Along the lines of the thinking above (worrying about being able to compete), it's important to note that nobody actually wanted Baylor in the Big XII. The Texas Board of Regents had a Baylor alum who had significant influence and they wouldn't sign off on getting Texas and Texas A&M into the conference without Baylor. They've had something to prove ever since.

Didn't know that that's interesting and makes sense when you put it all together. Had something to prove, went for a win at all costs approach, covered up anything and everything, recruited known rapists, tried to hide it etc. etc. etc.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT