ADVERTISEMENT

Beau Baldwin hires a Super Bowl coach at Cal Poly

I was surprised Beau didnt have more success at Cal. He either forgot what he knew about offense or Wilcox hogged the scholarships for his D.

Kiss of death.

The success at Eastern Washington led to Wulff earning the head coaching job at Washington State in 2008. In his four seasons, the Cougars' offense improved its production each year. In 2011, his final year at WSU, Washington State ranked ninth in the FBS is passing offense (322.25 yards per game) and 33rd in total offense (422.42 ypg). The Cougars were the only team in Division I to improve in total offense, total defense, offensive scoring and defensive scoring from 2010 to 2011.

They forgot to add he went 9 and effing 40 in those four years, picked a booger and ate it on the sidelines with the camera rolling and dropped a massive deuce in Spencer Wassem's family bathroom on a recruiting visit. Oh the innocence of it all.

The success at Eastern Washington led to Wulff earning the head coaching job at Washington State in 2008. In his four seasons, the Cougars' offense improved its production each year. In 2011, his final year at WSU, Washington State ranked ninth in the FBS is passing offense (322.25 yards per game) and 33rd in total offense (422.42 ypg). The Cougars were the only team in Division I to improve in total offense, total defense, offensive scoring and defensive scoring from 2010 to 2011.

They forgot to add he went 9 and effing 40 in those four years, picked a booger and ate it on the sidelines with the camera rolling and dropped a massive deuce in Spencer Wassem's family bathroom on a recruiting visit. Oh the innocence of it all.

Took a swig of chew spit too.

Reactions: royhobbs2
As much as I bag on Wulff I am glad he has a job. I do not like seeing people especially Cougs unemployed.

The thing that really annoyed me were his defenders, instead of being honest and realistic and doing what was best for WSU/the program they went full kool aid and blinders mode and made the transition to Leach/success more difficult and annoying than it had to be.

In the end WSU is in a better place and if it weren’t for blind ignorance/arrogance Wulff would be having success somewhere in maybe as high as Division I.

I honestly blame Jim Walden for creating the misleading climate that put/pushed Wulff in a position he wasn’t ready for and taking advantage of naive fans love for the school.

Letting him back around the program/have any influence was the critical error that sent WSU on the decline. The second Moos booted him out was the moment WSU regained its freedom to actually be a good program again.

Kiss of death.
But the coffee will be better and served quicker with PW on duty. Once sip from that cup will having them saying "JUMP'N Joe Dimaggio! YOU are Mr Coffee!
AP_587475300613_16x9_992.jpg

Last edited:
As much as I bag on Wulff I am glad he has a job. I do not like seeing people especially Cougs unemployed.

The thing that really annoyed me were his defenders, instead of being honest and realistic and doing what was best for WSU/the program they went full kool aid and blinders mode and made the transition to Leach/success more difficult and annoying than it had to be.

In the end WSU is in a better place and if it weren’t for blind ignorance/arrogance Wulff would be having success somewhere in maybe as high as Division I.

I honestly blame Jim Walden for creating the misleading climate that put/pushed Wulff in a position he wasn’t ready for and taking advantage of naive fans love for the school.

Letting him back around the program/have any influence was the critical error that sent WSU on the decline. The second Moos booted him out was the moment WSU regained its freedom to actually be a good program again.

Good grief....Moos was in on the Wulff hiring. A mouth made a suggestion. Moos was on the hiring committee and endorsed Wulff. The AD hired him with Floyd signing off. Walden is an ex coach who is passionate about WSU football. No more and no less.

Moos was on the committee. The AD and Pres are the ones responsible, especially when Mike Price a guy who wanted to come back was out there and he had shown what it took to rebuild a roster. THEY chose Wulff.

Good grief....Moos was in on the Wulff hiring. A mouth made a suggestion. Moos was on the hiring committee and endorsed Wulff. The AD hired him with Floyd signing off. Walden is an ex coach who is passionate about WSU football. No more and no less.

Moos was on the committee. The AD and Pres are the ones responsible, especially when Mike Price a guy who wanted to come back was out there and he had shown what it took to rebuild a roster. THEY chose Wulff.

You forgot that Walden is a moron.

I wish the guy well but Price really shouldn't have been an option. Didn't the other 2 options (Sumlin/Hoke) want more than we were willing to offer at the time?

It's like reading a disgraced person's job resume.

PS the reason we were 9th in the FBS with a 322 YPG is because we got the ball back constantly on kickoffs.

PPS what is with the precision of "322.25 YPG" passing?

As for the Wulff hire, Sterk was the AD, Floyd asked him if he really wanted to do this, questioning his decision. Sterk said yes, Floyd replied this one is all on you. 2 years later Sterk was quietly looking for a new job, a year later he found one, he left as the writing was on the wall.

As for the Wulff hire, Sterk was the AD, Floyd asked him if he really wanted to do this, questioning his decision. Sterk said yes, Floyd replied this one is all on you. 2 years later Sterk was quietly looking for a new job, a year later he found one, he left as the writing was on the wall.

The AD makes the hire and is accountable for it, search committees compile a list of candidates with pros/cons and president's weigh in. On paper, Wulff had a decent enough record and knew what he was getting into. I don't know how he survived the interview process. From his opening presser to his "lost innocence" presser, the guy had the distinct scent of loser. My guess is Walden sold Wulff as a cheap option who could stick around for a long time and had enough influence to convince members of the committee to take a non-critical view of CPW. No one was willing to go scorched Earth against Wulff and they made the hire.

The mistake was giving Wulff 4 years only to have the die hards still insist Paul got a raw deal.

They scored like 11 points in all of 2008, so yea, they improved on that. :D

I've never seen a more surgical cherry pick.

Being on a committee just means that you have a voice in the room. It doesn't mean that your voice is loud or heard. Moos thought so much of that process that when he was hiring a coach, he did the exact opposite.

It leads to the question, why would Moos do the exact opposite when hiring the head football coach? Ultimately, he wanted "his" choice. I don't believe for a second that Wulff was "his" choice.

just when did Price show what it takes to rebuild a roster? I don't think he was an option at the time, whether he wanted to come back or not. I'm sure he wanted to come back after his brilliant decision to leave the team and school in a lurch so he could be top man at UTEP

just when did Price show what it takes to rebuild a roster? I don't think he was an option at the time, whether he wanted to come back or not. I'm sure he wanted to come back after his brilliant decision to leave the team and school in a lurch so he could be top man at UTEP

Well if two Pac 10 championships after two -3 win seasons and our current coach has not won even the north division not sure there is such thing is building a roster .

Last edited:
Being on a committee just means that you have a voice in the room. It doesn't mean that your voice is loud or heard. Moos thought so much of that process that when he was hiring a coach, he did the exact opposite.

It leads to the question, why would Moos do the exact opposite when hiring the head football coach? Ultimately, he wanted "his" choice. I don't believe for a second that Wulff was "his" choice.

Proofs in the pudding . He could have hired leach a year earlier which Floyd wanted him to do and chose not to... and btw we should have hired leach for 2010 and if not then 2011.

And all we can do is read Moos’ comments from 2007.

Yes, he had a voice as he was ultra respected . And his voice was directly to the decision makers . To put this on Walden is flat out crazy .

Proofs in the pudding . He could have hired leach a year earlier which Floyd wanted him to do and chose not to... and btw we should have hired leach for 2010 and if not then 2011.

And all we can do is read Moos’ comments from 2007.

Yes, he had a voice as he was ultra respected . And his voice was directly to the decision makers . To put this on Walden is flat out crazy .
While some put this on Waldon, I put it on one person, the AD. He is the decision maker. The rest were there to do leg work. Do you believe that Sterk got to where he is by letting someone else make the tough decisions? You are giving more weight than deserved to Moos.

I disagree that any proof is in the pudding. You are reading too much into something that isn't there. For whatever reason, brand x and a lot of alums were soundly behind Wulff. There was a lot of politics at play that he couldn't remove him easily without giving him a chance. Heck, even after Moos fired him, the decision was criticized by many.

I'm curious why you included a shot at Leach in this post. Your point about Price's rebuilds was perfectly fine by itself.

Hmmmm... I am more curious why you read it as a dig. Not a dig but rather a point of reference on a very successful coach building a roster and not having the same success at the highest level as the coach who LTC questioned as whether he could build a roster.

Interesting you see my post as a dig and LTC’ post “Trump perfect”.

Last edited:
While some put this on Waldon, I put it on one person, the AD. He is the decision maker. The rest were there to do leg work. Do you believe that Sterk got to where he is by letting someone else make the tough decisions? You are giving more weight than deserved to Moos.

I disagree that any proof is in the pudding. You are reading too much into something that isn't there. For whatever reason, brand x and a lot of alums were soundly behind Wulff. There was a lot of politics at play that he couldn't remove him easily without giving him a chance. Heck, even after Moos fired him, the decision was criticized by many.

Emotional decisions will be questioned. Sterk could have hired Leach for the 2010 season, Moos could have had him for 2011. Two AD's chose not to.

The decision to hire Wulff was the responsibility of two people, Floyd and Sterk. But Moos had a strong voice in the committee room. Yet it is Walden because he at that point was on radio as the one who made the hire.

A couple of thoughts about that time frame. When Wulff was hired I said almost anyone who took over the job was hired to be fired, and for sure Wulff would have been fired. Key ingredients that HAD been WSU football were not on campus yet, and it would take them awhile to get them recruited and up to speed. People wanted Sumlin, after watching Sumlin coach do you think there would have been a drastic difference between Wulff and Sumlin?

If in 2012 Moos didn't have Leach but rather an assistant at "you name the school", I would have rather see Wulff with a senior dominated lineup and a senior QB.

My only "unfair" comments would be the football Gods were cruel and when he thought he had the team Tuel gets hurt. It would have been nice to see what a healthy Tuel would have meant. BUT, Wulff had his chance and they brought in a more experienced coach who brought instant cred to recruiting.

I wish the guy well but Price really shouldn't have been an option. Didn't the other 2 options (Sumlin/Hoke) want more than we were willing to offer at the time?

Why would you trust Hoke or Sunlin more than a guy who has shown he could do it in Pullman . Both Hoke and Sumlin have been huge failures and schools with much greater resources

Well if two Pac 10 championships after two -3 win seasons and our current coach has not won even the north division not sure there is such thing is building a roster .
multiple years on the job and yet he had to "build" the roster?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT