ADVERTISEMENT

Borghi - “I’m going to score a lot”

COUGinNCW

Hall Of Fame
Oct 5, 2010
Personally, I wish he round have guaranteed another win. This game needs some trash talk and sense of urgency to match the expectations of the fans. I guess promising to score a lot is a start. Maybe Leach has been holding onto a few plays for this one as well but I won’t hold my breath on that one.

Personally, I wish he round have guaranteed another win. This game needs some trash talk and sense of urgency to match the expectations of the fans. I guess promising to score a lot is a start. Maybe Leach has been holding onto a few plays for this one as well but I won’t hold my breath on that one.
An excellent point. It is a chronic annual annoyance to me that Leach approaches the AC as just another game. No, it isn't Mike. It's the Apple Cup! It is special. None of the previous games have their own adjective. You are right in that the game needs an increase of fervor and focus. And that the players will have to install that as CML stubbornly refuses to alter his deadpan approach to the game. I hope that Borghi and/or some of the other players can infuse the team with a bit of fanatical enthusiasm and determination.

Leach with some hidden surprise plays? Uh, doubt it. Just not his style. Petersen can be expected to do so but Leach, nope.

An excellent point. It is a chronic annual annoyance to me that Leach approaches the AC as just another game. No, it isn't Mike. It's the Apple Cup! It is special. None of the previous games have their own adjective. You are right in that the game needs an increase of fervor and focus. And that the players will have to install that as CML stubbornly refuses to alter his deadpan approach to the game. I hope that Borghi and/or some of the other players can infuse the team with a bit of fanatical enthusiasm and determination.

Leach with some hidden surprise plays? Uh, doubt it. Just not his style. Petersen can be expected to do so but Leach, nope.
This .
I miss the days of the players getting all jacked up. To paraphrase Will Derting... "I hate everything about that school...their colors, the city, their fans, their players. Everything."

Reactions: metprof and SDCoug
This .
I miss the days of the players getting all jacked up. To paraphrase Will Derting... "I hate everything about that school...their colors, the city, their fans, their players. Everything."
Three cowboys returned to their camp after a long day on the trail: a fusky, a duck, and a Cougar. At the camp fire, tales of bravado ensued. The fusky recounted biting the head off a rattlesnake. The duck told how he had strangled a grizzly that had surprised him in the brush. The Cougar just stood there. Silent and stoic. Slowly stirring the coals of the fire with his penis.

Last edited:

You can bet your ass that CP is going deep into the well with the trickeration. Expect also to see him go on 4th often as Smith did.

There will be at least 1 fake kick, a throwback pass, double reverse, statue of liberty, and probably a sneaky onside kick.

This .

It's kind of crazy to see USC and UCLA needing to protect their statues prior to the game and for Leach, the Apple Cup is just meh. I get the psychological game that he's playing, but it's obviously not working, so I'd like to see a little more emphasis on it.

Reactions: 79COUG
Even Leach-bot has got to be pissed about the AC loses by now. At least from the fans, players, admin. and media.

Eh there’s arguments both ways. I think the psychology of it depends entirely on the team. Price didn’t do particularly well in ACs and it was the super bowl for him. He hated the huskies. It was a huge deal and we got psyched out and lost to them with some of our best teams.

I think the way recruiting is a national game now it just doesn’t have the substance it used to in the price days for example. Sure some of these kids played against each other in California, but that’s true when we are playing Cal or Oregon too. It’s still a great rivalry for fans because Cougs hate Huskies and Huskies hate having fun and beer, but it’s not the same for the players.

Eh there’s arguments both ways. I think the psychology of it depends entirely on the team. Price didn’t do particularly well in ACs and it was the super bowl for him. He hated the huskies. It was a huge deal and we got psyched out and lost to them with some of our best teams.

I think the way recruiting is a national game now it just doesn’t have the substance it used to in the price days for example. Sure some of these kids played against each other in California, but that’s true when we are playing Cal or Oregon too. It’s still a great rivalry for fans because Cougs hate Huskies and Huskies hate having fun and beer, but it’s not the same for the players.
I agree with this...First off, we don't know what's going on in the locker room. This could EASILY be his mantra for us "outsiders". Inside that locker room CML could be as fired up as his "fat little girlfriends" speach. CML is KNOWN for being very internal.

Second, the team could be completely hyped up with coaches saying, "its fine, this is good, get fired up but keep it in house".

So many alternative realities and this board is seeing 2. Hot or cold.

This .
And he's a Washington player, so he has skin in the game. The players from outside of Washington aren't gonna have that same passion. You can't fake hate.

Reactions: 79COUG
And he's a Washington player, so he has skin in the game. The players from outside of Washington aren't gonna have that same passion. You can't fake hate.

Oh...I dunno? Give them a year, or so.

It doesn't take long to see for yourself, understand completely, and feel the exact same way......

Reactions: kayak15
Chris Jackson wasn't from Washington
Sure, when it comes from the coach it filters down to everyone else. When it doesn't come from the coach it will only come from in state kids and if those in state kids aren't leaders or you don't have enough of them that actually play, you get just a regular game.

I agree with this...First off, we don't know what's going on in the locker room. This could EASILY be his mantra for us "outsiders". Inside that locker room CML could be as fired up as his "fat little girlfriends" speach. CML is KNOWN for being very internal.

Second, the team could be completely hyped up with coaches saying, "its fine, this is good, get fired up but keep it in house".

So many alternative realities and this board is seeing 2. Hot or cold.
You might be right and we are only witnessing the surface but I rather doubt it. Have we seen the Cougs come out to play the AC foaming at the mouth and with their hair on fire? Not me. Rather puzzling to me that someone who regards being the most excited to play as one of his tenets approaches the most exciting game of the year with such a slightly above bored attitude.

Reactions: SDCoug
Oh...I dunno? Give them a year, or so.

It doesn't take long to see for yourself, understand completely, and feel the exact same way......

I agree. Jim Walden was right in his notion that being a Coug is different. It burrows inside you subtly until one is firmly dedicated and almost fanatical regarding the school. Being a Coug entails contempt for the uw and it does not matter where your initial home town is located. Whether you originated in California, Washington or somewhere else is of no consequence. Once you are a Coug, you disdain the uw. It's part of Cougness.

Reactions: SDCoug
You might be right and we are only witnessing the surface but I rather doubt it. Have we seen the Cougs come out to play the AC foaming at the mouth and with their hair on fire? Not me. Rather puzzling to me that someone who regards being the most excited to play as one of his tenets approaches the most exciting game of the year with such a slightly above bored attitude.

Didn't they try to pick a fight at midfield pre game a couple years ago?

I honestly don't think it makes that much of a difference. UW has just been better and a bad matchup for us. Like Cal, only better.

Didn't they try to pick a fight at midfield pre game a couple years ago?

I honestly don't think it makes that much of a difference. UW has just been better and a bad matchup for us. Like Cal, only better.
Yes, I remember that. In Martin Stadium. If my memory is correct then it was Petersen's first year as HC at the uw. As you noted, it made little difference if any. First of our string of losses to Petersen.

Hate beer?

No! Just hate having fun.

Things are a lot different these days at all levels of sports from High School to the professional level. Players don't hold the same disdain for other teams/players that they used to. Old High School rivalries in my area don't really exist anymore. Social media and the "travel ball" have changed everything. When I was that age you played with the same kids from a young age all the way through high School. You battled against the other kids from the other towns all along the way and developed that sports hate. Now they all play together in other leagues depending on the sport and separate for school ball seasons. Just look at the NBA these days ( It's dead to me fyi ). In the old GOOD NBA players hated each other. Now they're all friends. Just about every sport has followed that trend. With the exception of some old blue blood rivalries, it's always gonna mean more to the fans than the players going forward I think. Unless something happens on the field that causes bad blood, it's all a big love fest nowadays

Things are a lot different these days at all levels of sports from High School to the professional level. Players don't hold the same disdain for other teams/players that they used to. Old High School rivalries in my area don't really exist anymore. Social media and the "travel ball" have changed everything. When I was that age you played with the same kids from a young age all the way through high School. You battled against the other kids from the other towns all along the way and developed that sports hate. Now they all play together in other leagues depending on the sport and separate for school ball seasons. Just look at the NBA these days ( It's dead to me fyi ). In the old GOOD NBA players hated each other. Now they're all friends. Just about every sport has followed that trend. With the exception of some old blue blood rivalries, it's always gonna mean more to the fans than the players going forward I think. Unless something happens on the field that causes bad blood, it's all a big love fest nowadays
Another great thing about Montana, at least from my perspective. The hate and disdain for your rivals is going strong here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT