ADVERTISEMENT

Bowls...

95coug

Hall Of Fame
Dec 22, 2002
With the Beaver loss ensuring that they won’t be bowl eligible, my read is that we’re the #7 qualifier from the PAC-12 so we get the Cheez-it bowl.

Two scenarios could elevate us to Vegas:
1. Utah makes the CFP
2. Oregon beats Utah for the Rose, Utah still gets an NY6 game

With the Alabama loss today, Utah should move to #5, and if it was a fair system would then go to #4 when LSU beats Georgia. But I think the odds say Utah gets jumped by Oklahoma or that Alabama/Georgia don’t fall behind them.

Either way, nobody has to worry about El Paso anymore, we’re not going there.

A lot of it depends on the games tonight. Oklahoma hasn't looked very strong in the past month. Several of their recent games have come down to the last possession. Utah hasn't played a great schedule, but outside of letting UW hang around, they've crushed that mediocre schedule. Oklahoma gets to play a pretty solid Ok State squad and 11-1 Baylor next week, so they have a couple games to make their case. Utah needs to destroy Colorado and beat Oregon convincingly if they want their shot. Close games for Utah and I think it's used as an excuse to leave us out in the cold.

I think the Sun Bowl is going to be interested in WSU because of Leach. He's still popular in Texas and we had a decent turnout (better than Miami for sure) at the 2015 Sun Bowl. Assuming that we get two teams into the NY6 bowls (CFP or otherwise), I see the following:

P12 Champ: CFP or Rose
P12 Runner-up: Cotton Bowl or Rose Bowl (depends on whether or not Utah wins and gets into CFP)
USC: Alamo
UW: Holiday
ASU: Red Box
Cal: Sun (I'll assume that they beat UCLA)
WSU: Vegas

If Arizona beats ASU and UCLA beats Cal, we could still end up on the Red Box Bowl. Head to head doesn't matter and the Red Box can take their pick. Cal is "local" and will sell the most tickets, so they are still the logical choice, but you never know.

If we end up with only one team in the NY6 bowls, Cheez-It comes into play.....but Vegas knows that WSU is going to represent well and show up, particularly if it's us vs Cal.

Doesn't the Vegas Bowl get first choice? I don't see them passing on a 7 win ASU team
No. That’s the widespread misunderstanding. Only the top 4 bowls get to pick (Rose, Alamo, Holiday, and Redbox). For the other games, berths are slotted based on order of finish - the bowls don’t get a choice.

By my count there is only 6 bowl eligible big12 teams? So if Oklahoma goes to a playoff, or another Big 12 school goes NY6 who fills the cheezit slot? It’s there #6 tie in

No. That’s the widespread misunderstanding. Only the top 4 bowls get to pick (Rose, Alamo, Holiday, and Redbox). For the other games, berths are slotted based on order of finish - the bowls don’t get a choice.

They get a choice....but only among teams with the same conference record. The Alamo, Holiday and Redbox can choose any team within one spot of the highest available team. If the current scores hold up (Cal over UCLA and ASU over Arizona), we are destined for Vegas or Cheez-It depending on how the bowls shake out.

Disaster scenario at this point would be a rematch between WSU and Iowa State in the Cheez-It Bowl. Ain't nobody got time for that.

They get a choice....but only among teams with the same conference record. The Alamo, Holiday and Redbox can choose any team within one spot of the highest available team. If the current scores hold up (Cal over UCLA and ASU over Arizona), we are destined for Vegas or Cheez-It depending on how the bowls shake out.

Disaster scenario at this point would be a rematch between WSU and Iowa State in the Cheez-It Bowl. Ain't nobody got time for that.
They're all pretty much disaster scenarios to me at this point. Bowl games with a less than bad defense are not good. Have to hope to get matched up with an offensively inept team. Bowl games with all that time to game plan seem to play out a lot like our games with Cal where offense has tons of fits and starts.

Hmm...I’ve seen stuff out there that specifies the lower bowls pick based on conference record, and other stuff that says order of finish. And of course the PAC-12 is the one conference that doesn’t publish their selection criteria.

I suppose there’s still the mathematical possibility that the Holiday or Redbox could pick us, but that’s not going to happen.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT