ADVERTISEMENT

Cam Ward bidding war thread

I like to check out tankathon.com for their NFL draft ratings and mock draft predictions. They are constantly doing updates and revisions as the seasons go along and accounting for NFL trades. Here is their current QB rating:

Caleb Williams
Drake Maye
Jaydon Daniels
Bo Nix
JJ McCarthy*
Michael Penix*
Clinton Ewers*

* QB playing in the College Football Playoffs today.

Can Ward was rated about 5th or 6th for a time earlier in the season, then dropped off their list. Rating time was probably after OSU or so, and then dropping off after a couple bad weeks, especially UCLA.
tankathon.com

that's funny.

Not sure I'd trust them as the gold standard, but thier list looks about right. Can't be any more wrong than Kiper every year.

I have Cody Boyd's WSU Travel bag. Got it at a surplus sale. His name and number on the tag.
We got over to Pullman for a Surplus Sales event years ago and I made quite the haul. Basketball warmups, baseball jersey, PAC 10 Champs posters ($1), Rose Bowl coat, several other Cougar and Rose Bowl items. Also picked up three (3) Rose Bowl jerseys for $30 each, originally sold for $120, IIRC.

Btw he’s declaring for the draft. Interesting decision, will be really curious to see where he goes. I’d guess 5th round. I think he’d have been better off staying in college another year particularly with the bunches of highly rated QBs entering the draft this year.
I believe this is a tremendous mistake. He’s not ready for the NFL.

I think what’s happened here is that he didn’t get the offer he wanted from a college. It left him where he believes he’ll make more in the NFL. But in the new world or CFB, if nobody’s willing to pay you to stay, you’re probably not good enough to go.

Looks like he’s rated as #10-12 QB (he was only the #3 in the transfer portal). A couple sites still say he’s a 1st rounder, but also rate him as the #6-7 QB, and those two things don’t work together. It’s not common for 12 QBs to get drafted, and when 10 do, the later ones are almost always day 3 picks. We all agree he has physical talent, but that’s not enough. Best case I see is someone takes him in the 5th-6th round to see if they can teach him the mental aspects. That means a contract of - at most - slightly over $1M per year, and only about $300K guaranteed.

Either he’s getting bad advice and believes too much of his own hype, or the stories that he had 10+ multi-million dollar offers were BS.

To me, seems likely he’s the next Philip Bobo, James Williams, and Max Borghi. Guys who should have stayed for their senior season, but for whatever reason believed they were NFL-ready.

How many great Coug QB's lost to inferior mutt teams?

And you guys slay me. Fighting over Ward vs Brink? Might as well resume the Mencke vs Birnbaum fight.
Gesser, 2002. That’s all I’ve got. There have been few inferior uw teams when WSU has had a great QB.

Gesser, 2002. That’s all I’ve got. There have been few inferior uw teams when WSU has had a great QB.
Depends which ones you count as greats, but Gesser is the one who never beat the huskies…and we were the better team in 2 of his.

We got over to Pullman for a Surplus Sales event years ago and I made quite the haul. Basketball warmups, baseball jersey, PAC 10 Champs posters ($1), Rose Bowl coat, several other Cougar and Rose Bowl items. Also picked up three (3) Rose Bowl jerseys for $30 each, originally sold for $120, IIRC.
Shit, half my closet and storage unit is Coug stuff from those sales.

Hmmm. I thought there were more but I dunno and don't feel like rooting around to find out. Jack Thompson never beat the mutts either, although I doubt we were the better team in any of those years.

01 and 02 if I remember right. Few things in Coug history chap my ass like losing those three straight ACs when we were far better than UW.

01 and 02 if I remember right. Few things in Coug history chap my ass like losing those three straight ACs when we were far better than UW.
Let me give you the breakdown of those years of sorrow... years of joy...

In 2001, the fawg duckers lost to Fucla, Miami, and Texas. Only "scrub loss" would have been Oregon State and they weren't that bad. Of course... we played the Apple Cup in CHAZ land which didn't help. Our offense was kinda limp for the 2nd half of the season.

2002 was a great year. We lost to the National Champs in the shit land of Ohio State. It was Gesser getting hurt that truly doomed the Apple Cup. Refs again jobbing us on the "lateral pass". The fuskies sucked, but they only won because we lost Gesser.

2003 was another year of awesome. People forget that Doba and the staff beat Notre Dame. That game was stolen by us supposedly playing too rough... and of all bullshit "praying" in the end zone. Obviously... we weren't a Top 5 squad. fUsc explained that to us. But the Apple Cup was QB drama again. We were Swoggering. Think he was a frosh. WE DIDN'T HAVE OUR REAL QB.

Our GREAT TEAMS with real QB's didn't lose to "weaker" fusky teams unless we were injured. Now that I think about it... most of our Apple Cup losses that we were in position to win were lost based primarily on injury. Not because they were better.

Last edited:
Reactions: L.S. Dietz
Let me give you the breakdown of those years of sorrow... years of joy...

In 2001, the fawg duckers lost to Fucla, Miami, and Texas. Only "scrub loss" would have been Oregon State and they weren't that bad. Of course... we played the Apple Cup in CHAZ land which didn't help. Our offense was kinda limp for the 2nd half of the season.

2002 was a great year. We lost to the National Champs in the shit land of Ohio State. It was Gesser getting hurt that truly doomed the Apple Cup. Refs again jobbing us on the "lateral pass". The fuskies sucked, but they only won because we lost Gesser.

2003 was another year of awesome. People forget that Doba and the staff beat Notre Dame. That game was stolen by us supposedly playing too rough... and of all bullshit "praying" in the end zone. Obviously... we weren't a Top 5 squad. fUsc explained that to us. But the Apple Cup was QB drama again. We were Swoggering. Think he was a frosh. WE DIDN'T HAVE OUR REAL QB.

Our GREAT TEAMS with real QB's didn't lose to "weaker" fusky teams unless we were injured. Now that I think about it... moat of our Apple Cup losses that we were in position to win were lost based primarily on injury. Not because they were better.

That 2001 loss was 100% Cody Picket just lobbing punts at Reggie Williams and watching our DB's get smoked...over and over and over. We win the 2002 AC if Gesser doesn't get knocked out. I'm not sure if we would have won the 2003 game with a healthy Kegel...but it was certainly a mess because of that.

We haven't had many years where WSU was clearly better than UW but I'll mention that we lost the 2018 Apple Cup because the mutts handled the snow a lot better than we did....not because of any injuries.

We weren’t better in 2001.
Yeah we were. We were favored by 2 TDs @ UW. Offense completely shit the bed and was one of price’s worst play calling games I can remember. I recall a halfback pass from inside the 10 yard line that got picked.

I take back that we were far better, that UW team was decent but that was a game we lost, they didn’t beat us.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT