ADVERTISEMENT

Cam Ward bidding war thread

That comeback against smurf turf JC was awesome! We should've kicked their ass though.
For context that was an 11-3 BSU team and finished the season ranked #22. Again, not as big to have them come to town as a P5 Wisconsin team that has been historically a solid team in the B10, but BSU was still in the midst of being a really good program at the time and considered one of the best G5 programs in the country.

Why does this have to be about hating. He was fine in that game, not bad not amazing. We won because of 3 turnovers. RS/BJ sack strip recover x2. One for a score. We scored 25 points offensively. We had a long stretch in the second half of doing nothing. It wasn’t some legendary performance. CJ and Leaf in the AC. Legendary. Minshew against Oregon in the CGD game. Legendary. Brink in the 2006 cup. Legendary. Bledsoe/Wright fair in the 92 AC. Legendary. Palouse posse. Legendary. Ward…eh. Sorry, but if you are putting him up there on cougar Mount Rushmore you have a limited memory.

If I'm putting him anywhere, it's same tier as Brink. We lost the 2006 AC. The one of the four Brink played in that would have made a difference, ensuring a bowl game and maybe would have given Doba another year or two at the helm.

Haters will hate.

Curious. In the game I remember, we were a 5 point underdog. We played pretty well for most of the first half, and basically disappeared offensively in the second - which was pretty much Ward’s trend against opponents with a pulse.

Checking the box score confirms, 70% of our offense was in the first 22 minutes. 5 of our 6 punts (including 4 3 & outs) were after that.
Have you checked to see whether your trend was shared by other WSU QBs?

And I will add, perhaps some of you guys should check out the "Happy New Year Biggs!" thread to cheer yourselves up. Finding someone or something to constantly criticize must be exhausting.

And I will add, perhaps some of you guys should check out the "Happy New Year Biggs!" thread to cheer yourselves up. Finding someone or something to constantly criticize must be exhausting.
sometimes the opportunity just presents itself, especially in this board.

You just took a sample size of one and declared it the best. So technically you're right, but logically you've shit the bed.

It's basically the same argument as the Wisconsin game being the greatest Power 5 OOC game in Pullman ever....

If you make the scenario specific enough, it becomes amazing. WSU is by far the greatest college football program in Whitman County.

Next time Standing Room Only wallets show up in Pullman on the most beautiful fall September afternoon (on record?), forABC’s GOTW, to the #19 team, let me know, will ya?

In the meantime,

Happy New Year, ya filthy animals!

Onward!

Once in a lifetime appearance occurs at WSU

ABC national prime time game. We WIN! 🎉

Fans reaction 4 months later as we await watching that team play on New Years Day, “No big deal”

Got it, Thanks!
Playing on New Year's Day no longer means nearly what it used to. That's all I have to say about that.

Ward is an incredible talent. The problem the entire time he’s been here is the OL. How you all can’t see that is amazing. He will finish in the thick of the Heisman race next year.

I have never seen a WSU QB have to play under the constant duress that he has had to his WHOLE TIME HERE.

Get a clue folks. Hope you like the taste of crow.

Reactions: COUGinNCW
Ward is an incredible talent. The problem the entire time he’s been here is the OL. How you all can’t see that is amazing. He will finish in the thick of the Heisman race next year.

I have never seen a WSU QB have to play under the constant duress that he has had to his WHOLE TIME HERE.

The OL can’t explain the continuing bad decisions, such as the refusal to run when he should. He’s got physical talent, but he’s lacking in the mental aspects, play recognition, and situational awareness.

The OL can’t explain the continuing bad decisions, such as the refusal to run when he should. He’s got physical talent, but he’s lacking in the mental aspects, play recognition, and situational awareness.
Why do you expect perfect decision making, especially with a terrible offensive line?

You may recall that Will Derting turned from demi-god to mere mortal after Long, Tupai and Williams departed. Was he lacking in mental aspects, play recognition and situational awareness?

Reactions: LeachPack
Why do you expect perfect decision making, especially with a terrible offensive line?

You may recall that Will Derting turned from demi-god to mere mortal after Long, Tupai and Williams departed. Was he lacking in mental aspects, play recognition and situational awareness?
he was lacking a knee

If I'm putting him anywhere, it's same tier as Brink. We lost the 2006 AC. The one of the four Brink played in that would have made a difference, ensuring a bowl game and maybe would have given Doba another year or two at the helm.

Haters will hate.
That 2006 Apple Cup had zero defense. We were so injured / burnt out.

Had we be Arizona ahead of that... Doba would have stayed on as it would have been 7 wins and a bowl.

Fuw

The payout is 6.4 million, not 60 million.

In that aspect, yes, new year's games are more meaningful. Just not as prestigious fanzine or nationally. Taihtsat
* oops! looks like it’s $80 million per school every year.*

Bowl revenue ($6.4m) goes to conference.

Conference is one of (2) elite conferences (SEC/BIG)

Full share BIG payout is set to exceed $60 million PER SCHOOL this year. (Florida State athletic director Michael Alford said Big Ten schools will receive about $80 million each year from its TV contract, whereas FSU currently receives $42 million.)

BIG schools play on NYD vs SEC

Some Cougar fans say BIG schools are just another game in Pullman. 😂

Last edited:

Yes and no. He will be better with a legit running game and OLine. He’s got some really bad habits in the pocket that have been difficult for him to kick. Saw plenty of clean pockets he spazzed out in and ended doing the Macarena for 15 seconds instead of just progressing through his reads. These are just facts I like the kid and hope he succeeds. He’s not NFL ready yet by a long shot.

* oops! looks like it’s $80 million per school every year.*

Bowl revenue ($6.4m) goes to conference.

Conference is one of (2) elite conferences (SEC/BIG)

Full share BIG payout is set to exceed $60 million PER SCHOOL this year. (Florida State athletic director Michael Alford said Big Ten schools will receive about $80 million each year from its TV contract, whereas FSU currently receives $42 million.)

BIG schools play on NYD vs SEC

Some Cougar fans say BIG schools are just another game in Pullman. 😂
Some cougar fans are disappointed at how pathetic it is for you to worship B1G schools because of money. Everyone knows that Wisconsin actually coming to Pullman was a big deal…for us.

Anyone with a shred of objectivity also knows that Wisconsin was mediocre this year and that in terms of “big time” wins by a WSU QB, it doesn’t rank in the Top 20 and probably not even the Top 50 unless you apply the constraint of best OOC game against a Power 5 opponent in Pullman.

You started out by stating that the Wisconsin game cements Cam’s legacy and a lot of us don’t agree that a win over a mediocre team does that.

Reactions: Observer11
Dear flatland ahem, ‘coug’

It’s become clear you can’t read and/or you’re just a blatant liar.

Your hypersensitivity seems to have overtaken logic and maturity.

Last edited:
I don't understand this debate. Are people trying to prove or disprove that Cam is a "legacy" QB? If so, may I ask why? Is it not enough to say that he was a solid QB? That our program would have been significantly worse without him the past 2 years? One intangible that I always liked about Cam was that he carried himself well on the podium, the locker room, and on campus. After the games vs. Wisconsin and Oregon State, I personally watched him sign every kids autograph request and take countless selfies with them with a big smile on his face.

I've always been puzzled by fan debates about the "best of all time" crap. These past 2 seasons haven't been banner years by any stretch, but as a season ticket holder, they've been entertaining for me. I got to watch Cam and Mateer side by side in Fall camp. It wasn't close. That's why Cam was starting. Is he better than Brink, Gesser, Halliday, Gordon? Who TF cares?

I guess I’m just failing to understand how not doing backflips over a statistically average game vs a statistically average opponent = hating. Cam Wards a great kid. He’s a great talent. He represented WSU well and I’m glad he was a Coug. I wish him nothing but success, and don’t blame him for going out and getting his.

I don't understand this debate. Are people trying to prove or disprove that Cam is a "legacy" QB? If so, may I ask why? Is it not enough to say that he was a solid QB? That our program would have been significantly worse without him the past 2 years? One intangible that I always liked about Cam was that he carried himself well on the podium, the locker room, and on campus. After the games vs. Wisconsin and Oregon State, I personally watched him sign every kids autograph request and take countless selfies with them with a big smile on his face.

I've always been puzzled by fan debates about the "best of all time" crap. These past 2 seasons haven't been banner years by any stretch, but as a season ticket holder, they've been entertaining for me. I got to watch Cam and Mateer side by side in Fall camp. It wasn't close. That's why Cam was starting. Is he better than Brink, Gesser, Halliday, Gordon? Who TF cares?
I can sum it up in four words: Biggs is a turd.

I guess I’m just failing to understand how not doing backflips over a statistically average game vs a statistically average opponent = hating. Cam Wards a great kid. He’s a great talent. He represented WSU well and I’m glad he was a Coug. I wish him nothing but success, and don’t blame him for going out and getting his.
How do you reconcile your comments about Ward’s statistically average performances against a statistically average team with heaping praise on Brink for his performances against some of the worst teams in uw history?

I do so by saying haters will hate.

Some cougar fans are disappointed at how pathetic it is for you to worship B1G schools because of money. Everyone knows that Wisconsin actually coming to Pullman was a big deal…for us.

Anyone with a shred of objectivity also knows that Wisconsin was mediocre this year and that in terms of “big time” wins by a WSU QB, it doesn’t rank in the Top 20 and probably not even the Top 50 unless you apply the constraint of best OOC game against a Power 5 opponent in Pullman.

You started out by stating that the Wisconsin game cements Cam’s legacy and a lot of us don’t agree that a win over a mediocre team does that.
Right here is the problem. And it really has nothing to do with Ward or any other player. But it says something profound about our program, our location, and its perception among the rest of P5.

Wisconsin showing up - a mediocre team several years removed from its peak - should not have been that big a deal. Even having the #19 team (at the time) shouldn’t have been a big deal. We’ve played and beaten higher ranked opponents in Pullman, as conference games.

The only reason it was a big deal to anyone is that we’ve never been able to get P5 non-conference teams to show up. Illinois, once, was the exception. Someone else posted numbers above that showed that every other P5 program has hosted more P5 non-conference opponents than we have. Every single one. Hell, there are G5 and probably FCS teams that have hosted more P5 non-conference games than we have. Explain that however you want, there are probably multiple valid reasons for it. But the result is that when that mediocre P5 team comes to Pullman, it gets held up as more meaningful than it really is.

If you step back and look at it though…WSU and Oregon state are apparently the two programs that have hosted the fewest P5 non-conference opponents (if the numbers previously posted are correct). That’s a pretty good indicator of how we’re perceived, and probably points toward why we’re the two who were left without a home.

And, really, our fan base - at least some of it - feeds that perception. When we feel like Wisconsin showing up for a September non-conference game is “once in a lifetime,” it sets low expectations and just underscores to the rest of CFB how small time we really are.

Right here is the problem. And it really has nothing to do with Ward or any other player. But it says something profound about our program, our location, and its perception among the rest of P5.

Wisconsin showing up - a mediocre team several years removed from its peak - should not have been that big a deal. Even having the #19 team (at the time) shouldn’t have been a big deal. We’ve played and beaten higher ranked opponents in Pullman, as conference games.

The only reason it was a big deal to anyone is that we’ve never been able to get P5 non-conference teams to show up. Illinois, once, was the exception. Someone else posted numbers above that showed that every other P5 program has hosted more P5 non-conference opponents than we have. Every single one. Hell, there are G5 and probably FCS teams that have hosted more P5 non-conference games than we have. Explain that however you want, there are probably multiple valid reasons for it. But the result is that when that mediocre P5 team comes to Pullman, it gets held up as more meaningful than it really is.

If you step back and look at it though…WSU and Oregon state are apparently the two programs that have hosted the fewest P5 non-conference opponents (if the numbers previously posted are correct). That’s a pretty good indicator of how we’re perceived, and probably points toward why we’re the two who were left without a home.

And, really, our fan base - at least some of it - feeds that perception. When we feel like Wisconsin showing up for a September non-conference game is “once in a lifetime,” it sets low expectations and just underscores to the rest of CFB how small time we really are.
There's definitely some truth in what you said about our fan base, but as an East coast native, there's another truth that we routinely underscore. Pullman is a pain in the a$$ to get to, recruit to, and schedule to. From an outsider's perspective, there's absolutely nothing attractive about visiting Pullman. Wisconsin is regarded as one of the top traveling alumni bases in all of college football, and they were sparsely represented (by their standards) in Pullman.

I've been an outside medical sales rep most of my career, and I've traveled extensively throughout North America over those years. I've literally been in every major airport in the USA and Canada, and most of the smaller airports on the West coast. Pullman is objectively one of the most difficult places I've ever traveled to. It's right there with Billings, Casper, Sioux Falls, and Fargo. Guess what, those towns aren't hosting Power 4 football games or other bigtime sporting events either.

Wisconsin visiting Pullman is meaningful to our program, because nobody wants to go there. They never have. If you're an Athletic Director for any other Power-4 program, you'd be a fool for even considering scheduling a home-and-home with WSU. The payout sucks, the team travel is inconvenient, the alumni interest is zero, our stadium holds 32K fans, and our team is generally tough at home. Why in the world would you enter into scheduling partnership with WSU voluntarily?

Do you think Chun and Schulz weren't aware of the brushback they'd receive for resuming the Apple Cup series? The did it because NO OTHER power 4 program will visit Pullman. Maybe we'll get some charitable visits from our former conference members, but that's it.

The Rose Bowls were likely a twice in a lifetime event for WSU football. I assume that you were too ashamed to attend given your post above.

There's definitely some truth in what you said about our fan base, but as an East coast native, there's another truth that we routinely underscore. Pullman is a pain in the a$$ to get to, recruit to, and schedule to. From an outsider's perspective, there's absolutely nothing attractive about visiting Pullman. Wisconsin is regarded as one of the top traveling alumni bases in all of college football, and they were sparsely represented (by their standards) in Pullman.

I've been an outside medical sales rep most of my career, and I've traveled extensively throughout North America over those years. I've literally been in every major airport in the USA and Canada, and most of the smaller airports on the West coast. Pullman is objectively one of the most difficult places I've ever traveled to. It's right there with Billings, Casper, Sioux Falls, and Fargo. Guess what, those towns aren't hosting Power 4 football games or other bigtime sporting events either.

Wisconsin visiting Pullman is meaningful to our program, because nobody wants to go there. They never have. If you're an Athletic Director for any other Power-4 program, you'd be a fool for even considering scheduling a home-and-home with WSU. The payout sucks, the team travel is inconvenient, the alumni interest is zero, our stadium holds 32K fans, and our team is generally tough at home. Why in the world would you enter into scheduling partnership with WSU voluntarily?

Do you think Chun and Schulz weren't aware of the brushback they'd receive for resuming the Apple Cup series? The did it because NO OTHER power 4 program will visit Pullman. Maybe we'll get some charitable visits from our former conference members, but that's it.
All of that is true, but we’ve historically just accepted it as an excuse and not done anything to compensate. Sure, sometimes we’ve traveled twice, but then we still let the other team drop the return trip. We’ve also done nothing to improve the experience even for our fans, forget about the visitors. We know Pullman is tough to get to - for everyone - but we’ve just accepted that and leaned on it as an excuse rather than doing anything to make it worth the effort. As a 20+ year season ticket holder, I’d argue that the gameday experience is actually worse now - especially when you consider the increased costs.

We even had the opportunity to use the Seattle game to create scheduling opportunities, and we didn’t. We used it to get a 2 for 1 from Oklahoma state. The next highest profile team we played there was SDSU. None of the Pullman excuses applied to that scenario and we still couldn’t land P5 opponents. Was that just an incompetent AD, or what?

As for Schulz and Apple cup - it’s interesting to me that nobody has brought this up, but the Times article linked last week that proved UW’s president is a double-dealing snake also showed something about him. After he was told UW was leaving, before that news was even public, he messaged her that the apple cup would continue. No consultation, no thoughts of fans…just a flat statement of fact.

"The payout sucks" is 90% of it IMHO. I don't think travel is that bad. Teams used to fly into Lewiston - 45 minutes away. Now they can fly into Pullman. But finding 70 or 80 hotel rooms? that's the other 10% IMHO.

How do you reconcile your comments about Ward’s statistically average performances against a statistically average team with heaping praise on Brink for his performances against some of the worst teams in uw history?

I do so by saying haters will hate.
Where do i start. One’s a road apple cup, how many of those have we won? And yeah that was a mediocre UW team but I’ve seen our best teams shit the bed against mediocre UW teams in that very stadium. Brinks performance was memorable for not only his wire to wire great play but the play that won the game. I literally can’t remember one play from Ward in the Wisconsin game. The most memorable moments of that game were turned in by Jackson and Stone.

Haters will hate.
Brink played plenty well enough to win the 2006 AC. The defense and special teams didn’t. Brink actually ran some of our best offenses pre-Air Raid, but was saddled with such miserable defense that we couldn’t get past 6-6. I can’t see saddling him with our missing a bowl in 2006.

I have an easier time doing it in 2007, when he threw 6 interceptions and was completely useless against Oregon state. But he came out the next week and played probably his best game against UW.

Neither does Bledsoe . Going into the Apple Cup his stats were average . He was 15 TD’s 13 picks . He had two games . One, Fresno State and the other was the Apple Cup. How did Bledsoe look against Stanford two weeks earlier that year?

One game puts them in the Mt Rushmore of Coug Qb’s .
Well better put Tuel and Clete Casper on the list as well.

Brink played plenty well enough to win the 2006 AC. The defense and special teams didn’t. Brink actually ran some of our best offenses pre-Air Raid, but was saddled with such miserable defense that we couldn’t get past 6-6. I can’t see saddling him with our missing a bowl in 2006.

I have an easier time doing it in 2007, when he threw 6 interceptions and was completely useless against Oregon state. But he came out the next week and played probably his best game against UW.
So, Brink doesn’t need to “Will the team to victory” and all the other nonsense Ward lacks according to the football geniuses on this board. Good to know.

Also, please remind me which consensus All-American Ward had with him in the backfield. And the all conference players on the OL. The NFL draft picks at receiver. You get the idea.

I care.

I care about people getting facts in check. I care about people saying smart things... dumb things...

I care about people getting bent out of shape when it comes to losing a B/B- QB.

Of course... I'm sure many posters here also thought the Game of Thrones had a good ending too.

Where do i start. One’s a road apple cup, how many of those have we won? And yeah that was a mediocre UW team but I’ve seen our best teams shit the bed against mediocre UW teams in that very stadium. Brinks performance was memorable for not only his wire to wire great play but the play that won the game. I literally can’t remember one play from Ward in the Wisconsin game. The most memorable moments of that game were turned in by Jackson and Stone.
So, uw teams that finished with 1, 2, and 4 wins (2004, 2005, 2007) were superior to the Wisconsin team?

Shitting the bed in the Apple Cup is no more unusual than WSU just shitting the bed.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT