ADVERTISEMENT

Can we go 8-0?

chipdouglas

Hall Of Fame
Mar 16, 2005
Seems like a very good chance. We visit a very beatable Cal, and then host a similarly beatable CU for payback.

Somebody can fact-check me, but using sports-reference.com, the last (and only) time the Cougars started a season with 8 wins was in 1930, when we kicked off our season in the Pacific Coast Conference with a victory vs "Albertson", whatever team that would have been, and a later win over Gonzaga. In other words, the leather helmet era / who cares era.

Last time we started 7-0 was in 2001, and before that, 1997.

Also, we've never won more than 10 games in a season. If we could get to 8-0, we could still lose a couple and have a shot at breaking our own record.

Finally, stupid-early bowl projections have us playing Oklahoma or TCU in the Alamo or Fiesta Bowls.

Getting into rarefied air for Cougar football.

Reactions: WazzuNewby
Of course the cougs can go 8-0.If they play Cal like they can lose the game. then they will prevail. If they do an" Oklahoma",they can lose. Oklahoma was preparing for their next game and totally disrespected Iowa State,you saw the result Overconfidence and the loss of momentum can totally sink a team.

Seems like a very good chance. We visit a very beatable Cal, and then host a similarly beatable CU for payback.

Somebody can fact-check me, but using sports-reference.com, the last (and only) time the Cougars started a season with 8 wins was in 1930, when we kicked off our season in the Pacific Coast Conference with a victory vs "Albertson", whatever team that would have been, and a later win over Gonzaga. In other words, the leather helmet era / who cares era.

Last time we started 7-0 was in 2001, and before tI hat, 1997.

Also, we've never won more than 10 games in a season. If we could get to 8-0, we could still lose a couple and have a shot at breaking our own record.

Finally, stupid-early bowl projections have us playing Oklahoma or TCU in the Alamo or Fiesta Bowls.

At this point, it would require upsets for us to not start out 8-0 and probably 9-0. Anything is possible, but in both 2015 & 2016, our team has played really pretty good football after our first two games and before the Apple Cup. We have gone 15-3 with no losses to teams outside of the Top 25 at the time we played them (2 in the Top 10). At this point, Cal looks like a 5-7 team, CU looks like a 6-6 team, and Arizona looks like a 5-7 team. None of them look like the type of team that we will choke against.

Stanford, Utah and UW is a tough way to finish the season. WSU has performed well against Stanford for a while and I think we limit Bryce Love enough to come away with a win. Utah is stout defensively and I don't expect an easy win, but as usual, they are not an offensive juggernaut and I don't see them running away from us. As long as we limit our own mistakes, we will beat them.

If the above comes true, the AC is going to be a game for the ages. Rare times indeed. Let's hope they become common.

Reactions: WazzuNewby
Cal and Colorado are both good enough to beat us, which I think helps in our preparation.

Albertson College now...Southern Idaho back then, I believe.

Cal and Colorado are both good enough to beat us, which I think helps in our preparation.
Arizona could be too...that QB had a helluva game.

Oklahoma proved it doesn't matter who you are you can't look ahead. This conference is deep and most teams are dangerous. We should beat Cal and CU but it's not a given.

Arizona could be too...that QB had a helluva game.

Oklahoma proved it doesn't matter who you are you can't look ahead. This conference is deep and most teams are dangerous. We should beat Cal and CU but it's not a given.

You guys are correct that there is a huge difference between "should" and "will". Our players need to view every game as a challenge to be better themselves and with respect for the abilities of their opponents. Regardless of how well we are playing, from a purely "talent" standpoint, we don't have an edge on anybody. The difference the past two years is that our players are talented enough now that the preparation and coaching that they are receiving is making a difference. Keep that up and they could become the greatest team in school history.

You guys are correct that there is a huge difference between "should" and "will". Our players need to view every game as a challenge to be better themselves and with respect for the abilities of their opponents. Regardless of how well we are playing, from a purely "talent" standpoint, we don't have an edge on anybody. The difference the past two years is that our players are talented enough now that the preparation and coaching that they are receiving is making a difference. Keep that up and they could become the greatest team in school history.
Indeed. I was REALLY impressed at how the defense played all game against Oregon. You have an emotional victory against a Top 5 team at home, and you go on the road facing a down-but-still-more-talented Oregon team and you get a turnover on the first drive, then score on the next play, setting the precedent for the rest of the game. Then you go on to have 2 stops on 4th down, silencing the rowdy Autzen crowd... I mean we went in there and took care of business.

Earlier WSU teams fold under those kinds of emotions. Gives me a lot of confidence that they will go into Cal, CU and beyond with the gravity they need to take care of business once again.

Reactions: 79COUG
Sure is nice to have OR and USC behind us in the win column. The rest of the schedule isn't ideal, but I'm glad we have two more home games coming up before the bye, with one of them being Stanford.

I get the sense that these wins aren't causing the team to become complacent, like we've seen in the past. I am hoping that success feeds on itself, and increases the focus and determination each week.

Now Lucy, just hold the ball steady this time...

Reactions: Fab5Coug
I just typed it into Google Maps and it took me to what is now "The College of Idaho" outside of Boise. Interesting.
Yea Albertsons stores were founded in Boise. They renamed the school in honor of the founder and then changed it back for some reason.

Arizona is a legit team this year, and they always scare or beat a top P12 team in Tucson every year. We get then on Halloween weekend.

I'm circling that game as our first loss.

Arizona is a legit team this year, and they always scare or beat a top P12 team in Tucson every year. We get then on Halloween weekend.

Yeah the team the Cougs steamrolled last year SHOULD HAVE beat UW! Every team is dangerous, it's about match ups and who shows up ready to play.

Their wins are vs Northern AZ, UTEP and a 3pt win vs a very mediocre Colorado who couldn't contain a backup running QB.

Extremely 1 dimensional and Dawkins is a TO machine if the run gets contained.

Their wins are vs Northern AZ, UTEP and a 3pt win vs a very mediocre Colorado who couldn't contain a backup running QB.

It wasn't Dawkins who ran for over 300 yards. It was Khalil Tate. I noticed that he did not play in the previous game a 30-23 loss to Utah at home. He could be a difference maker but it was the first game for him so maybe by the time he plays the Cougs there will be enough tape on him to figure him out a bit. He also completed 11 for 12 on passing but Colorado must have sold out to stop the run.

Point is that UA is not nearly the gimme that many people hoped it would be. On the road, in the desert, at night. If the Cougs are 8-0 going into that one you know UA will be up for that.

It wasn't Dawkins who ran for over 300 yards. It was Khalil Tate. I noticed that he did not play in the previous game a 30-23 loss to Utah at home. He could be a difference maker but it was the first game for him so maybe by the time he plays the Cougs there will be enough tape on him to figure him out a bit. He also completed 11 for 12 on passing but Colorado must have sold out to stop the run.

Point is that UA is not nearly the gimme that many people hoped it would be. On the road, in the desert, at night. If the Cougs are 8-0 going into that one you know UA will be up for that.

Only time will tell if Arizona is legit or not. Transitive properties suggest that Arizona is probably not all that good, but we know how worthless that usually is. I'm not drinking the Arizona, Cal, CU, Utah or Stanford kool-aid this year. If our team plays well, we will be 11-0 going into the Apple Cup. Running QB's were our achilles heel in years past, but right now, our defense is good enough that unless they can keep us honest with the pass, we'll let him have his 115 yards rushing and beat Arizona 42-14.

Reactions: jarvis1981

Since we have no injuries, we should be fine all the way until Apple Cup...

But seriously, I think it'll depend on how we hold up over the next 6 weeks. We had what... 2 more players leave the field on Saturday and not come back? Was it 3? Not sure, but it was all defense. The subs played well, but we are now thin at linebacker and getting there at db (with the dismissal earlier this week.) Can't afford to lose any more players.

Also, we need the O to continue to improve. WRs need to catch whats thrown to them as well as make some plays on not so great throws. Luke can keep on doing what he's doing, but I'd still like to see him hit the middle of the field a little more often. (what happened to the crossing/ rub route that we used to run? where the 2 inside guys would cross in the center of the field and it usually resulted in Cracraft for 5+ yards, every time?)

Only time will tell if Arizona is legit or not. Transitive properties suggest that Arizona is probably not all that good, but we know how worthless that usually is. I'm not drinking the Arizona, Cal, CU, Utah or Stanford kool-aid this year. If our team plays well, we will be 11-0 going into the Apple Cup. Running QB's were our achilles heel in years past, but right now, our defense is good enough that unless they can keep us honest with the pass, we'll let him have his 115 yards rushing and beat Arizona 42-14.
They weren't legit last year and they should have beat a UW team that ultimately was in the CFP. You don't have to be legit to pull off a massive upset. I wouldn't necessarily call Michigan State or Iowa State "legit" (MSU is a legit program that's rebuilding a bit), but they posed match up problems for the teams they were playing, and in Oklahomas case, overconfidence probably played a role as well.

I think these next two games we should win convincingly, but beyond that it's a tough stretch and I don't think Arizona will be an easy win either - they are a pesky bunch down there in Tucson!

I just typed it into Google Maps and it took me to what is now "The College of Idaho" outside of Boise. Interesting.

Somebody can fact-check me, but using sports-reference.com, the last (and only) time the Cougars started a season with 8 wins was in 1930, when we kicked off our season in the Pacific Coast Conference with a victory vs "Albertson", whatever team that would have been, and a later win over Gonzaga. In other words, the leather helmet era / who cares

Albertson's College aka Colllege of Idaho was not "Albertson" in 1930. I don't know who the hell that was.

Somebody can fact-check me, but using sports-reference.com, the last (and only) time the Cougars started a season with 8 wins was in 1930, when we kicked off our season in the Pacific Coast Conference with a victory vs "Albertson", whatever team that would have been, and a later win over Gonzaga. In other words, the leather helmet era / who cares

Albertson's College aka Colllege of Idaho was not "Albertson" in 1930. I don't know who the hell that was.
I can't find any historical indication of an Albertson college, other than the one that's now College of Idaho. I'm thinking someone just changed the name in the record books.

ESPN calls it Soonering. Ouch.
We're not the only ones. Soonering has been around since the early Stoops era. The team that whipped us in the '03 Rose Bowl Soonered two games I believe, at least one to Texas A&M. They had talent comparable to Ohio St and Miami that year.

They weren't legit last year and they should have beat a UW team that ultimately was in the CFP. You don't have to be legit to pull off a massive upset. I wouldn't necessarily call Michigan State or Iowa State "legit" (MSU is a legit program that's rebuilding a bit), but they posed match up problems for the teams they were playing, and in Oklahomas case, overconfidence probably played a role as well.

I think these next two games we should win convincingly, but beyond that it's a tough stretch and I don't think Arizona will be an easy win either - they are a pesky bunch down there in Tucson!
I still think Arizona is our most favorable matchup outside of Oregon State in conference, less because of their defense (which appears better than it was) but because their style of play plays to the strengths of our defense. Penetration wrecks spread option teams.

I can conceivably see us11-0 heading into the Apple Cup,

Cal is our next challenge and shouldn't be overlooked, they played USC pretty well, they can do some good things.

Getting past Cal is our next objective, if we can do that then CU at home is a great opportunity to get to the 8-0 mark.

then it's repeat mode with Stanford and Arizona. We can't overlook anyone.

The Apple Cup against Washington. That will be a hard one to win. They are incredibly good, and we are good too, but they are good with a deep 4 star roster, we are not. We can beat USC but I think UW is better coached than USC.

So the Apple Cup is the only game where I say the odds aren't in our favor. Doesn't mean we can't do it, but that is the largest obstacle in the way. But none of that matters unless we don't take care of business on Cal. We have to be focussed on Cal.

But they throttled NAU & UTEP. And they have wins over, at least competent Houston & Colorado programs. And their 2 losses are by a combined 9 points.

At the very least, they look much, much improved over last year and look like they should compete for a bowl game.

How much "kool aid" is needed to recognize that Utah & Stanford are good programs? Those will be tough wins to get, and Zona, Cal & CU are certainly dangerous enough that a win isn't a gimme.

How much "kool aid" is needed to recognize that Utah & Stanford are good programs? Those will be tough wins to get, and Zona, Cal & CU are certainly dangerous enough that a win isn't a gimme.
True, but all things being equal I honestly believe that the only way we lose any of those games is if we "Belotti" it, ie beat ourselves.

This offense is scoring 30pts a game and isn't even running on all cylinders yet. The defense is starting a bunch of underclassmen who are improving every week. If we can stay healthy and not make big mistakes I feel confident that we'll arrive at the AC undefeated.

I can conceivably see us11-0 heading into the Apple Cup,

Cal is our next challenge and shouldn't be overlooked, they played USC pretty well, they can do some good things.

Getting past Cal is our next objective, if we can do that then CU at home is a great opportunity to get to the 8-0 mark.

then it's repeat mode with Stanford and Arizona. We can't overlook anyone.

The Apple Cup against Washington. That will be a hard one to win. They are incredibly good, and we are good too, but they are good with a deep 4 star roster, we are not. We can beat USC but I think UW is better coached than USC.

So the Apple Cup is the only game where I say the odds aren't in our favor. Doesn't mean we can't do it, but that is the largest obstacle in the way. But none of that matters unless we don't take care of business on Cal. We have to be focussed on Cal.
I think the jury is still out on UW this season. Their best wins so far are against 3-3 Cal and Colorado teams - neither of which appears to be very good. They were decisive wins, but it's hard to tell whether they really mean anything...and even harder to tell if UW deserves to be #5.

I think the jury is still out on UW this season. Their best wins so far are against 3-3 Cal and Colorado teams - neither of which appears to be very good. They were decisive wins, but it's hard to tell whether they really mean anything...and even harder to tell if UW deserves to be #5.

I don't know. I mean, when can you just look at a program and just kind of assume they're good. I know one year doesn't roll over to the next, but jeez, they've lost 2 games in the last year & a half. They haven't played anyone super challenging this year, but they are just pasting teams right now.

I guess I just don't see anything in their recent history, or Petersen's history, or on their roster to make me hesitant to assume they're pretty damned good.

They are very good programs. That said, they graduated a lot of key players and I think we are better than them. I see both of them as 8-4 type teams as opposed to 10 win teams. That's still pretty good, just not as good as some in the media think.

Agreed. I believe in "any given Saturday," but let's consider that if we get to 8-0, we could be closing on a Top 5 or 6 ranking with a back-to-back of Stanford and an @Utah date, and you know how fired up Utah gets at home to face a big foe. Teams stop playing "Washington State" and start playing "Top X", and you now face a Utah team which is 30% tougher than the Utah you would have faced if you went into SLC winless.

Reactions: Fab5Coug

Yes...let's not get too carried away with Arizona's performance.

I need to see them beat another Pac-12 team not named Oregon State or Cal before I get too impressed.

Any one of the next five teams leading up to the Apple Cup could beat us. Could we win two out of three or even four out of five against any of them individually? I believe that we would win the majority of contests against any and all of them but there is an outlier lurking for each which could pop up. And bear in mind that we were damned lucky to get past BSU. The Big Coug in the Sky really put his/her thumb on the scales during the fourth quarter of that one. I like our prospects during the next five games but Murphy's Law still holds true and I am nervously awaiting the results.

I was talking to one of my co-workers who is a Kansas State fan about our team and being very diplomatic and cautious and trying to avoid sounding like a pretentious Husky douchebag. He told me to cut that crap out. In 1998, KSU was ranked #1 for four weeks and they were ranked #1 for a week in 2012. He said that given the rarity of that happening for them, it's important to own those moments for all they are worth and just enjoy how good your team is and expect to win every week. We know it will end eventually, but until it does, don't apologize for having a good team. He might have a point....but I still can't be a little cautious in my enthusiasm.

T
they certainly deserve their ranking, but they have not played a team with a decent defense or a decent QB. This speed D has the chops to make Browning wet himself which he does routinely against good defense's. Not sure how confident I am of our offense putting together TD drives against their D though. It's so weird to say that!

T

they certainly deserve their ranking, but they have not played a team with a decent defense or a decent QB. This speed D has the chops to make Browning wet himself which he does routinely against good defense's. Not sure how confident I am of our offense putting together TD drives against their D though. It's so weird to say that!
I remember saying that back in '94 .... ;)

I was talking to one of my co-workers who is a Kansas State fan about our team and being very diplomatic and cautious and trying to avoid sounding like a pretentious Husky douchebag. He told me to cut that crap out. In 1998, KSU was ranked #1 for four weeks and they were ranked #1 for a week in 2012. He said that given the rarity of that happening for them, it's important to own those moments for all they are worth and just enjoy how good your team is and expect to win every week. We know it will end eventually, but until it does, don't apologize for having a good team. He might have a point....but I still can't be a little cautious in my enthusiasm.
While I Understand his position, my problem is that so far I'm not entirely convinced that we deserve our ranking either. Our schedule isn't as soft as UW's, but our best win is against a USC team that was disappointing even before it lost most of its OL. Our O has been just good enough, and still has a maddening tendency to play down to the competition, with WRs who forget to catch the ball, and a highly touted, veteran OL that can't consistently open running lanes and a few times per game can't keep a 3 man rush off the QB for more than 3 seconds.

I love being 6-0, but I'm not ready to guzzle the kool-aid. I'm just going to sip until I know there's enough to last the season.

Reactions: M-I-Coug
While I Understand his position, my problem is that so far I'm not entirely convinced that we deserve our ranking either. Our schedule isn't as soft as UW's, but our best win is against a USC team that was disappointing even before it lost most of its OL. Our O has been just good enough, and still has a maddening tendency to play down to the competition, with WRs who forget to catch the ball, and a highly touted, veteran OL that can't consistently open running lanes and a few times per game can't keep a 3 man rush off the QB for more than 3 seconds.

I love being 6-0, but I'm not ready to guzzle the kool-aid. I'm just going to sip until I know there's enough to last the season.
I look at it like this. In 2003 USC started good and got better. Their defense carried more of the load early on while Leinart and all the other new skill position guys got on the same page. By the time the Rose Bowl rolled around they were a friggin machine. Our exact situation obviously isn't the same, but the more time Falk spends with the new receivers, the more plays they make, the more times they catch tennis balls and roll in the sand when they drop a ball, the sharper the offense is likely to get. As long as there's no Falk Funk Redux, and we don't run out of linebackers, this team will be better in November than it is now, and that's an encouraging thought come Thanksgiving week.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT