ADVERTISEMENT

Chicken littles - breathe...

BleedCrimsonandGray

Hall Of Fame
Oct 2, 2007
Its a shit game.

It got ugly.

At least there are reasons for it, instead of the inexplicable nightmare that was CPW or CML's annual hiccup/AC drubbing.

No, im not happy with any if it, but seriously simmer the f down at this young team with a new staff having a shit game on the road.

Its a shit game.

It got ugly.

At least there are reasons for it, instead of the inexplicable nightmare that was CPW or CML's annual hiccup/AC drubbing.

No, im not happy with any if it, but seriously simmer the f down at this young team with a new staff having a shit game on the road.
No.

Again, I feel/felt that we were NOT prepared going into this game. The game plan should consist of running the ball more against what we USC's weakness (run defense). We were thin in the secondary, why leave your corners on an island?

I personally don't get it.

I saw almost nothing to like in the first quarter after the blown call cost us the 4th and 1.

It got marginally better in the second quarter, but that was a low bar to exceed.

The D stopped them for a FG to begin the 3rd, and you could see their confidence level improve from then on. I suspect that this will be a game to build from for the D, both technically and attitudinally (I've been wanting to use that word for a while now ;)) .

The O became mentally unhinged after the blown call and turnovers. It took them until the 4th quarter to get back into a proper mindset to play the game. I'm not sure we will learn much from a technical standpoint from this game on the O side, but I have hope that we WILL learn something from a mental toughness and concentration perspective. And I have to give some props to Markoff. That guy gave a toughness lesson at a time when the O needed to see it.

Sometimes a butt kicking is instructive. We'll see next week, Covid permitting.

Again, I feel/felt that we were NOT prepared going into this game. The game plan should consist of running the ball more against what we USC's weakness (run defense). We were thin in the secondary, why leave your corners on an island?

Mike Tyson- “Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face”
They got socked, and had trouble responding. Good experience for a young team, and next time they get ambushed early I expect they’ll react a bit differently. Don’t think for a minute USC let up on them either. USC is unbeaten and not in the top 20, they were going for 50 in the third quarter. Helton also hates the Cougs - almost cost him his job in ‘18.

Well said. The game would have been much closer with constantly running the ball. Perhaps Rolo pre-prepared, but didn't make quick adjustments to abandon the pass, and run consistently. 3rd and 1 and it's a pass. 3rd and 2 and it's a pass. Really? McIntosh is real. Use him more.

Reactions: earldacoug

How do you not get it? COVID has ravaged our roster since before the OSU game? Preparation for games has been on and off as a result, with weeks inbetween games. Rolo is a first year coach. We're without the best running back in the league. de Laura is a true freshman who needs a lot of mechanical development. The QBs behind him on the depth cart are worse, and have been in the system 2-3x as long. USC is the best team in the conference with NFL talent at WR.

You don't get it?

How do you not get it? COVID has ravaged our roster since before the OSU game? Preparation for games has been on and off as a result, with weeks inbetween games. Rolo is a first year coach. We're without the best running back in the league. de Laura is a true freshman who needs a lot of mechanical development. The QBs behind him on the depth cart are worse, and have been in the system 2-3x as long. USC is the best team in the conference with NFL talent at WR.

You don't get it?

Do you really know that Cooper and Cruz are "worse" than JDL? We have not seen anywhere near enough on either of them to judge that they are trash. If you watched Matt Kegel in 2002, you would have thought that he was going to be a terrible QB as a senior. We lost the 2002 AC because he was on the field. In 2003, he wasn't perfect, but he led us to 10 wins.

I see comments saying that someone doesn't understand why people love the backup QB. I'm wondering why seeing a guy scamper a couple times for nice gains has made JDL so beloved all of the sudden. I don't "know" that Cooper or Cruz are better or worse for us, but I do know that if not for the OSU game, nobody would be thinking that JDL was a great QB. It's too early for anyone to know anything about any of these QB's other than that they are all young with very little experience. JDL might be great in the long run, but one good game against OSU and an OK game against Oregon doesn't make a career. There is no benefit in running off Cruz and Cooper without giving them some snaps in live action to see how they play.

Do you really know that Cooper and Cruz are "worse" than JDL? We have not seen anywhere near enough on either of them to judge that they are trash. If you watched Matt Kegel in 2002, you would have thought that he was going to be a terrible QB as a senior. We lost the 2002 AC because he was on the field. In 2003, he wasn't perfect, but he led us to 10 wins.

I see comments saying that someone doesn't understand why people love the backup QB. I'm wondering why seeing a guy scamper a couple times for nice gains has made JDL so beloved all of the sudden. I don't "know" that Cooper or Cruz are better or worse for us, but I do know that if not for the OSU game, nobody would be thinking that JDL was a great QB. It's too early for anyone to know anything about any of these QB's other than that they are all young with very little experience. JDL might be great in the long run, but one good game against OSU and an OK game against Oregon doesn't make a career. There is no benefit in running off Cruz and Cooper without giving them some snaps in live action to see how they play.
He’s evaluated by the coaching staff daily. As are all the QB’s

We lost the 2002 AC because everyone from the head coach to the water boys/girls soiled themselves multiple times, capped with an insane call from Gordon Riese.

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
He’s evaluated by the coaching staff daily. As are all the QB’s

So...you know that Rolovich feels that Cooper and Cruz are so much inferior to JDL that any discussion of them taking snaps in the next couple games is illogical? It's obvious that Rolovich felt that JDL was our best option at QB and he got the start to begin the season.

FWIW, coaches can be wrong about that type of thing when they don't have real game information to help inform them. Matt Campbell, coach at Iowa State, didn't give Brock Purdy the starting nod in 2018 because he didn't feel that he gave them the best chance to win. In fact, he was the third stringer to start the season. Starter gets hurt, backup sucked so they put in Purdy. He kicked ass once he got some reps and he's now a three year starter. Practice doesn't tell you everything.

I'm not trying to say that JDL isn't better than the other two, but I'm saying that he's got enough flaws that we might as well take the next couple games and evaluate all three of them in live game action against our conference competition to make sure that we are making the right long term choice. If JDL is so damned insecure that he can't let the other guys get their shot.....I don't want him on my team. Now, I don't believe that's the case and it will probably work out that JDL is our best shot, but I'd hate to lose a great passing QB to another school just because we fell in love with a kid after one game. Nothing wrong with having an open mind about player evaluation.

Reactions: 425cougfan
We lost the 2002 AC because everyone from the head coach to the water boys/girls soiled themselves multiple times, capped with an insane call from Gordon Riese.

It was definitely a team effort....but Kegel was clearly not ready to be on the field that night....as a Redshirt Junior.

So...you know that Rolovich feels that Cooper and Cruz are so much inferior to JDL that any discussion of them taking snaps in the next couple games is illogical? It's obvious that Rolovich felt that JDL was our best option at QB and he got the start to begin the season.

FWIW, coaches can be wrong about that type of thing when they don't have real game information to help inform them. Matt Campbell, coach at Iowa State, didn't give Brock Purdy the starting nod in 2018 because he didn't feel that he gave them the best chance to win. In fact, he was the third stringer to start the season. Starter gets hurt, backup sucked so they put in Purdy. He kicked ass once he got some reps and he's now a three year starter. Practice doesn't tell you everything.

I'm not trying to say that JDL isn't better than the other two, but I'm saying that he's got enough flaws that we might as well take the next couple games and evaluate all three of them in live game action against our conference competition to make sure that we are making the right long term choice. If JDL is so damned insecure that he can't let the other guys get their shot.....I don't want him on my team. Now, I don't believe that's the case and it will probably work out that JDL is our best shot, but I'd hate to lose a great passing QB to another school just because we fell in love with a kid after one game. Nothing wrong with having an open mind about player evaluation.
We agree on this

It was definitely a team effort....but Kegel was clearly not ready to be on the field that night....as a Redshirt Junior.

And Price wasn't ready to coach in his 14th year, Tyler Hunt wasn't ready to snap as a RS Senior, etc.

And Price wasn't ready to coach in his 14th year, Tyler Hunt wasn't ready to snap as a RS Senior, etc.

You may not remember it, but we were leading the game when Gesser went down in the 4th quarter and Kegel threw an interception that allowed UW to tie the game to allow it to go into overtime. He was mediocre the whole season in 2002 and a disaster in the AC. Simply being mediocre in that AC game would have been good enough to win at that point. He was not. Again, it doesn't change the fact that despite he didn't look particularly good as a junior, he made a lot of good plays in 2003 even though he was beat up all year long.

Great anecdote re Purdy. I think there's a good chance the main reason JdL won the job was his familiarity with the offense, which was valuable to an outsized extent in the circumstances of this year. Rolovich had to make a call. It doesn't necessarily mean he was head and shoulders above these other guys.

I think a lot of people support him, ironically, for reasons similar to why people always want the backup QB to play. JdL represents potential and excitement about the future. He was offered by Ohio State. It's like when a top prospect gets called up in MLB. It's more exciting to dream about what he can do, in the abstract, than either of two players who couldn't force the issue last year and had Leach looking at bringing in Costello this year if he had stuck around. Still, if you took the names off these guys' jerseys and told someone unfamiliar with the team that due to COVID-19, we had to throw a fourth-string walk-on out there -- say, Aaron Angelos -- and that person thought JdL was Angelos, I think they probably would have said something like "I see why this guy is the 4th string QB" if watching JdL in that game.

I haven't seen enough to make a definitive call on any of these QBs, but I'm not sure Rolovich has, either. I have a sinking feeling that Cooper is going to transfer and light up the Mountain West, and we'll wonder what if ... hopefully not caring that much because de Laura, Ward, or whoever else is winning games for the Cougs next year and thereafter. I just wouldn't want to see him go somewhere else and tear it up and have us stuck with a talented prospect, but one who never could fix his throwing motion and who, even at 20 years old, had to put every ounce he had into it to make a 35-yard throw.

What we don't know yet are (i) the extent to which Cooper really is failing to grasp the offense, with that being incapable of being solved, and (ii) whether and to what extent de Laura is going to develop in all aspects of his game. He's young and maturing, and this post isn't in any way to rip on him. He's young and just had COVID-19. I just think Cooper has the kind of talent that is rare in Pullman and, while I'm not as high on Cruz, we haven't seen enough of him yet either.

Thanks to " recruiting at a level never seen before " Cougs are where they are.

Season is shit !

Never should have been !

I hope that the Cal home game is the LAST ! **** the Dec 19th date !

Coach and staff STILL get a pass for this year !

You may not remember it, but we were leading the game when Gesser went down in the 4th quarter and Kegel threw an interception that allowed UW to tie the game to allow it to go into overtime. He was mediocre the whole season in 2002 and a disaster in the AC. Simply being mediocre in that AC game would have been good enough to win at that point. He was not. Again, it doesn't change the fact that despite he didn't look particularly good as a junior, he made a lot of good plays in 2003 even though he was beat up all year long.

I remember just fine. Like Tyler Hunt blowing the snap count at first and goal from the one, and settling for a field goal.

Thanks to " recruiting at a level never seen before " Cougs are where they are.

Season is shit !

Never should have been !

I hope that the Cal home game is the LAST ! **** the Dec 19th date !

Coach and staff STILL get a pass for this year !

Can;t disagree more.

This gives us valuable live reps that we didn't get in spring ball. This is basically spring ball. Season doesn't mean anything...so get your reps in....then get more reps in the spring.

This season will help us out a lot.

Reactions: SDCoug
You think this season doesn’t mean anything to recruiting?

I think that coaches can use the complications from COVID to explain bad games this year, so it's not as big of a deal as it usually would be. Our first half performance against USC was directly impacted by missing starters. We get to tell kids that they would have been on the field to make a difference if they were at WSU.

By the way, for all of the wringing of hands about Rolovich and our culture, WSU was 0-3 to start conference play in 2012 in Leach's first season including a loss against a Colorado that went 0-11 against everyone but us. It's dumb to draw conclusions about the future based on this season. We need to quit worrying.

Last edited:
Reactions: cr8zyncalif
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT