ADVERTISEMENT

Clunker game

Flatlandcoug

Hall Of Fame
Aug 14, 2007
Wichita, Kansas
I keep on hearing that WSU hasn't had their clunker game of the year that's been a hallmark of Mike Leach's coaching career. I would argue that we've already that game and it happened on Sept. 21st when we lost to what has proven to be a very mediocre USC team. Man.....the Trojans suck!

I keep on hearing that WSU hasn't had their clunker game of the year that's been a hallmark of Mike Leach's coaching career. I would argue that we've already that game and it happened on Sept. 21st when we lost to what has proven to be a very mediocre USC team. Man.....the Trojans suck!
I can't stop thinking about it either. Man, what if....

I can't stop thinking about it either. Man, what if....
Eh. I wouldn’t call that a clunker. Cal was a clunker last year. UW was a clunker. AZ was a clunker.

USC had one chance to beat us, chuck and pray. And it worked. And the refs helped them. And we still should have won at the end. I wouldn’t call that a clunker.

Reactions: Cougatron
Eh. I wouldn’t call that a clunker. Cal was a clunker last year. UW was a clunker. AZ was a clunker.

USC had one chance to beat us, chuck and pray. And it worked. And the refs helped them. And we still should have won at the end. I wouldn’t call that a clunker.

Run with it man. If we are going to have on clunker.....let that be the one!

Reactions: Coug90
We’ve had some clunker moments, but not entire games. Wyoming and SJSU were lousy in spots. USC had a lot of bad play on defense. Stanford looked very dark in the 1st half. Utah and Cal were both loseable.

No clunkers, but not a lot of boat races either. Just winning.

The clunker game is definitely a national narrative with some "Experts." I believe it is a lazy and backward analysis. At TT, he had bad games at times because TT had a bad defense and other teams had just as much if not more talent. They did great winning more games than they should have.

At WSU, they had horrible defenses until last year. It was the first year of having a good defense. The culture on defense was still being formed. So, it was going to be inconsistent.

I do not believe it is coaching at all for a "clunker".

The clunker game is definitely a national narrative with some "Experts." I believe it is a lazy and backward analysis. At TT, he had bad games at times because TT had a bad defense and other teams had just as much if not more talent. They did great winning more games than they should have.

At WSU, they had horrible defenses until last year. It was the first year of having a good defense. The culture on defense was still being formed. So, it was going to be inconsistent.

I do not believe it is coaching at all for a "clunker".

Losing to CU in 2012 to give them their only conference win, losing to PSU and EWU, getting blown out by Cal and UA, were all clunker games where we were clearly the better team and a lack of execution and/or bad coaching cost us games and would be the definition of a clunker. In his time at Texas Tech, they lost to terrible football teams in years when they had 8 or 9 wins. Call them what you want, but most of the world calls them clunkers. I agree with the idea that the USC game doesn't truly fit the definition this year and didn't feel that way at the time, but as the year goes along, it's becoming obvious that it was not a "good" loss.

Not gonna happen. Not this year. We will blowout AZ. Let’s revisit this post in the am with coffee.

Losing to CU in 2012 to give them their only conference win, losing to PSU and EWU, getting blown out by Cal and UA, were all clunker games where we were clearly the better team and a lack of execution and/or bad coaching cost us games and would be the definition of a clunker. In his time at Texas Tech, they lost to terrible football teams in years when they had 8 or 9 wins. Call them what you want, but most of the world calls them clunkers. I agree with the idea that the USC game doesn't truly fit the definition this year and didn't feel that way at the time, but as the year goes along, it's becoming obvious that it was not a "good" loss.
If we always knew what was going to happen in a game, why even play the game? WSU was not good and had horrible defenses. Teams that have minimal talent and are bad do have bad games, many bad games. Young teams and/or teams with minimal talent do tend to have ups and downs.

I stick with my original premise. The clunker is overrated and a lazy analysis.

Reactions: taf88
Wouldn't it be kind of ironic if USC knocked ND out of the final 4 next week, giving the Cougs a bit wider window into the plsyoffs

As was said above, if we have a clunker this year the USC game will be it....due to the loss if nothing else.

We've also squeaked through a couple. You could arguably say that a couple of our wins were far uglier than the SC loss.

Never in my life as a Coug will I complain in any way about a 10 win season. Today is a day to just sit back and enjoy.

This will truly be a Coug Thanksgiving day!

If we always knew what was going to happen in a game, why even play the game? WSU was not good and had horrible defenses. Teams that have minimal talent and are bad do have bad games, many bad games. Young teams and/or teams with minimal talent do tend to have ups and downs.

I stick with my original premise. The clunker is overrated and a lazy analysis.

I would argue that making the argument that something is lazy......is lazy.

And like so many of your opinions, you would be wrong once again. Zing...:D

Fair enough. BTW, people always try to make more out of statements on the internet than they should. When I said that our USC could be considered our "clunker" game, it's looking at a game in hindsight and seeing the team perform below their relative ability compared to the rest of the season. Overall, you could argue that we didn't play poorly in that game.....outside of our secondary. That game, more than any other, was one where our secondary simply didn't show up and they got outhustled by the USC receivers. I'm happy that we've gotten to the point where we don't have a definitive clunker game and you could say that our program has improved to the point where we still win our clunker games because the program has been elevated enough overall that it doesn't matter. I guarantee that Tide fans view their game against the Citadel as a letdown game....and they won by 33 points.

There's a lot of talk about raising expectations and not accepting moral victories and sometimes that's calling a spade a spade. Trying to defend the USC loss as acceptable is the opposite of that.

The non targeting call and hoping usc does well was a huge opportunity loss for the Pac 12. Pac 12 backed the wrong team. Cougs could be 11-0 and would make the final four discussion interesting . And they would have a trip to Santa Clara wrapped up.

Last edited:
Fair enough. BTW, people always try to make more out of statements on the internet than they should. When I said that our USC could be considered our "clunker" game, it's looking at a game in hindsight and seeing the team perform below their relative ability compared to the rest of the season. Overall, you could argue that we didn't play poorly in that game.....outside of our secondary. That game, more than any other, was one where our secondary simply didn't show up and they got outhustled by the USC receivers. I'm happy that we've gotten to the point where we don't have a definitive clunker game and you could say that our program has improved to the point where we still win our clunker games because the program has been elevated enough overall that it doesn't matter. I guarantee that Tide fans view their game against the Citadel as a letdown game....and they won by 33 points.

There's a lot of talk about raising expectations and not accepting moral victories and sometimes that's calling a spade a spade. Trying to defend the USC loss as acceptable is the opposite of that.

I just don't believe in clunker games is a thing. There are reasons why things happen and people want to attach some separate deep meaning.

If USC and WSU played today, WSU would win by 30. But, they didn't play today, they played early in the season. That day, Daniel's played his best game by far. He was throwing dimes into small windows. He is talented. But, the more film you have on someone, the easier it is to game plan against them.

Reactions: taf88
Yes, patrol. I think Arizona's performance will go down in their school's history as the most inept football game they have ever (and perhaps WILL ever) played. When the wheels started to come off, they all fell off at once. As my favorite Princess Bride quote goes, "Inconceeeeeiiivable!!".

The non targeting call and hoping usc does well was a huge opportunity loss from WSU. Cougs could be 11-0 and would make the final four discussion interesting . And they would have a trip to Santa Clara wrapped up.

When it comes down to it.....we didn't lose that game just because of that call. We had a 13 point lead in the third quarter and we went 15 minutes without scoring and we gave up two touchdowns in that same span. We gacked on an extra point. We took the lead back in the fourth quarter and promptly let USC march down the field. Blaming the loss on one play is, to quote Coug1990, lazy. ;):)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT