ADVERTISEMENT

CML...

is now officially being called out as someone Baylor should consider… I'll admit… I'm a bit skittish on this.

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/mac-engel/article80819157.html

I'm not worried because of the sanctions looming at Baylor. Maybe nothing will happen, but Leach is 55 years old and has maybe 10 years of coaching left. I don't see Leach coaching into his 70's. I see him retiring and writing more books. Depending on what the NCAA does, it could be a few years before he would be able to compete on equal footing. I could see Leach going to a name school once he feels like he has accomplished his mission at WSU, but I don't see Baylor being a name school. Walking to work in Waco isn't the same as Pullman....that's for damned sure.

The possibility of CML going to Baylor following this year's season is possible but, to my mind, a long shot. I think that I have read about twenty names thrown out as potential candidates. There are numerous reasons for Leach being an unlikely fit there. Reasons that I will not bother you with as most are immediately obvious to all of us.

They certainly have the funds to back up the truck for whoever they chose. And will equally certainly have to. Unfortunately, that is about the only positive that Baylor has to offer. Even that may not be the case as it is expected that applications for admission are expected to plummet entailing a significant loss of revenue. Missouri took a significant hit in admissions due to their perception of being overly PC. This Baylor situation is far far worse. Baylor was attractive to prosperous and devout Christians. But what deeply religious set of parents are going to be inclined to fork out $58,000 per year to send their daughter or son to a place with a record like Baylor's? Whoever takes the job is going to face about five years of misery and Baylor will have to reach deep into their pockets to accentuate their only positive, money, to compensate for that.

Remember that they are not only replacing the coach but also the school president and AD (He resigned today.). It is highly likely that the new president will be less favorable to college athletics than Ken Starr was. One can reasonably assume that the replacements will be less accommodating toward the next coach than the situation that Leach finds in Pullman. That comfortable relationship seems to me to be quite important to CML.

It is obviously possible that Leach takes the job but I regard it as highly unlikely. He is no spring chicken and cannot look forward to spending the last years of his career dealing with the problems that Waco features. If a Pac12 coach accepted the offer then I would rather expect it to be Graham or Dykes. Both seem far more likely to jump from their current positions than Leach.

If I were on the Baylor committee making this decision then I would take a long and hard look at Dykes. Last year's recruitment is undergoing depletion and this year's class is heading for the gutter. The next HC is going to be dealt a two year lag in recruiting. And since Baylor's reputation is soiled in Texas and the rest of the Bible Belt, he will have difficulty in repairing that. Dykes is young enough to wait it out for some time before things are back on track. He also would fit seamlessly into the current offensive scheme.

Baylor would be unbelievably fortunate to have Mike. I just do not see Mike viewing Baylor as a good fit or providing an enjoyable term of occupation. Maybe but I don't see it happening.

The possibility of CML going to Baylor following this year's season is possible but, to my mind, a long shot. I think that I have read about twenty names thrown out as potential candidates. There are numerous reasons for Leach being an unlikely fit there. Reasons that I will not bother you with as most are immediately obvious to all of us.

They certainly have the funds to back up the truck for whoever they chose. And will equally certainly have to. Unfortunately, that is about the only positive that Baylor has to offer. Even that may not be the case as it is expected that applications for admission are expected to plummet entailing a significant loss of revenue. Missouri took a significant hit in admissions due to their perception of being overly PC. This Baylor situation is far far worse. Baylor was attractive to prosperous and devout Christians. But what deeply religious set of parents are going to be inclined to fork out $58,000 per year to send their daughter or son to a place with a record like Baylor's? Whoever takes the job is going to face about five years of misery and Baylor will have to reach deep into their pockets to accentuate their only positive, money, to compensate for that.

Remember that they are not only replacing the coach but also the school president and AD (He resigned today.). It is highly likely that the new president will be less favorable to college athletics than Ken Starr was. One can reasonably assume that the replacements will be less accommodating toward the next coach than the situation that Leach finds in Pullman. That comfortable relationship seems to me to be quite important to CML.

It is obviously possible that Leach takes the job but I regard it as highly unlikely. He is no spring chicken and cannot look forward to spending the last years of his career dealing with the problems that Waco features. If a Pac12 coach accepted the offer then I would rather expect it to be Graham or Dykes. Both seem far more likely to jump from their current positions than Leach.

If I were on the Baylor committee making this decision then I would take a long and hard look at Dykes. Last year's recruitment is undergoing depletion and this year's class is heading for the gutter. The next HC is going to be dealt a two year lag in recruiting. And since Baylor's reputation is soiled in Texas and the rest of the Bible Belt, he will have difficulty in repairing that. Dykes is young enough to wait it out for some time before things are back on track. He also would fit seamlessly into the current offensive scheme.

Baylor would be unbelievably fortunate to have Mike. I just do not see Mike viewing Baylor as a good fit or providing an enjoyable term of occupation. Maybe but I don't see it happening.
It's a great fit for Baylor. Wide open offense, a guy who knows the Texas landscape, knows every nook and cranny to find talent and he has a very strict rule when it comes to woman and violence. I could easily see Baylor knocking on his door and offering him a boat load of cash to clean up the program. At least double what he is making in Pullman. Baylor is in a conference where he dominate and he would win 10 games a year with his eyes closed, putting him in the national hunt every year. The Pac 12 is so tough not sure how often we will see that from him in Pullman.

So for Baylor it would he would be the perfect fit. I do know that isn't his dream job and that he really likes Pullman. So who knows....5 million would be hard to turn down for anyone.

It's a great fit for Baylor. Wide open offense, a guy who knows the Texas landscape, knows every nook and cranny to find talent and he has a very strict rule when it comes to woman and violence. I could easily see Baylor knocking on his door and offering him a boat load of cash to clean up the program. At least double what he is making in Pullman. Baylor is in a conference where he dominate and he would win 10 games a year with his eyes closed, putting him in the national hunt every year. The Pac 12 is so tough not sure how often we will see that from him in Pullman.

So for Baylor it would he would be the perfect fit. I do know that isn't his dream job and that he really likes Pullman. So who knows....5 million would be hard to turn down for anyone.

I know that Art Briles has done well at Baylor, but he had to go the MC-MW route to do so. Is Leach a better coach than Briles? We don't know. Don't sleep on the Big 12 though. OU, OSU, TCU and KSU typically have decent teams and Texas is going to quit sucking sometime. For Baylor, that leaves Tech, ISU, WVU and KU as "easy" wins and West Virginia is starting to look more like the West Virginia of old. You might remember when the Mountaineers used to win 11 games every year....until they joined the Big 12. It will be interesting to see if Baylor can keep it up once the criminals aren't allowed.

I would bet Baylor gets an assistant or a non-P5 head coach. The only established head coaches that would consider the job are either not getting market or on the hot seat. Taking a job in June in the middle of a legal mess and zero stability is a huge risk at any price.

As for Leach, he might not retire in Pullman but Baylor doesn't fit what he's most comfortable with. Our only potential down is the need to replace President Floyd but the new President seems like another good fit for Leach.

"No real candidate is leaving a good college job now."

seems like the writer is either saying that leach is a fit because he's not a "real" candidate (whatever that means), or wazzu is not a good college job, or maybe both. did i read that wrong?

seems like the writer is either saying that leach is a fit because he's not a "real" candidate (whatever that means), or wazzu is not a good college job, or maybe both. did i read that wrong?
No, you read it right. The writer doesn't regard Wazzu as a good job. Considering our history of struggles, I can see his viewpoint. What he should remember though is that Baylor pre-
Briles was historically in our position. The WSU or OSU of Texas football if you will. We are moving up now and they may decline into their usual mediocrity.

I would bet Baylor gets an assistant or a non-P5 head coach. The only established head coaches that would consider the job are either not getting market or on the hot seat. Taking a job in June in the middle of a legal mess and zero stability is a huge risk at any price.

As for Leach, he might not retire in Pullman but Baylor doesn't fit what he's most comfortable with. Our only potential down is the need to replace President Floyd but the new President seems like another good fit for Leach.
The position will not be open until after this Fall's season. Baylor has hired Jim Grobe, former coach at Ohio University and Wake Forest, as an interim coach for the coming season. Grobe was apparently retired and has not coached for the last few years. They will hire the next coach in December or January, whenever their choice's season is over. That is barring an Alabama/Price scenario. By that time they should have their new president and AD in place. (Michelle is still available.)

The position will not be open until after this Fall's season. Baylor has hired Jim Grobe, former coach at Ohio University and Wake Forest, as an interim coach for the coming season. Grobe was apparently retired and has not coached for the last few years. They will hire the next coach in December or January, whenever their choice's season is over. That is barring an Alabama/Price scenario. By that time they should have their new president and AD in place. (Michelle is still available.)
Solid decision for their program. Unless something unforeseen happens for us I doubt Leach would have much interest. You never know though.

No one is talking about filling the vacancy now...the writer said in December when they can look at all candidates and the NCAA and conference weigh on and see if there will be sanctions.

Solid decision for their program. Unless something unforeseen happens for us I doubt Leach would have much interest. You never know though.
Yes, I agree regarding their decision to delay final hiring until after the season. Jumping to a quick decision could backfire. They could make a poor hire or perhaps the hire, even if a good selection, could decide to bail after sanctions and legal problems become clearer. Far better to wait until their administrative changes are made and the consequences of the program's behavior become clearer and less opaque. That way the new hire would be better informed as to what awaited him in Waco. It would also give the school one more season's performance under the candidates to consider. They have their work cut out for them for sure.

1.) No coach will take the job until the extent and duration of the NCAA sanctions is known.
2.) No coach will take the job until a new president and AD are in place. Dumbest thing you can do is take a job without knowing who your boss will be.
3.) Baylor will be in lock down mode from a campus athlete/social standpoint for a few years. You would have to be just the right personality fit to make that work. Bobby Knight, maybe. CML? Not such a good fit for that environment.

Always fun to speculate, but in the words of my Texas and Okie friends, this is a case of "that dog don't hunt".

1.) No coach will take the job until the extent and duration of the NCAA sanctions is known.
2.) No coach will take the job until a new president and AD are in place. Dumbest thing you can do is take a job without knowing who your boss will be.
3.) Baylor will be in lock down mode from a campus athlete/social standpoint for a few years. You would have to be just the right personality fit to make that work. Bobby Knight, maybe. CML? Not such a good fit for that environment.

Always fun to speculate, but in the words of my Texas and Okie friends, this is a case of "that dog don't hunt".
Sincere thumbs up from me on the first two points. Regarding the personality Baylor's president, AD and BOR will be looking for, I have mixed feelings. Leach's firm stand on treating others with respect, especially women, fits quite well. He is however a bit of a loose cannon, is he not? For example, his recent opening address prior to Donald Trump's Spokane campaign gathering. This particular aspect of his personality would concern Baylor. They will- or at least should- be looking for someone conservative and predictable. Someone reserved and adverse to upsetting the apple cart. Leach is anything but that.

All of the posts that I have read, with the exception of one and the Texas sportswriter's opinion, have reflected skepticism about leach's fit. As you put it, "that dog don't hunt". Unless Baylor goes full Don Vito and makes him an offer he can't refuse, then I, you and most everyone else just don't see it. We will undoubtedly be watching this play out over the next six months as will supporters and alumni of many other schools.

A question: If Baylor does go after CML, does Moos upgrade his salary to keep him? Surely, the Mike Price and Alabama situation will come to mind. WSU dug in their heels and we all know what happened as a result. If the coming schedule plays out as we all hope it will then Leach's salary will deserve a significant increase. Would not surprise me to see him using Baylor's interest as leverage is that occurs. He did this in Lubbock. The interest expressed by other universities is what forced Tech to reluctantly pay him what he had requested.

May you live in interesting times.- Chinese curse

I think some of you have hit on the reason I'm a little skittish on this. Waco is no mega-town. Especially in Texas, it's the epitome of "small town football". Underdogs, to be sure. That fits CML, to a tea. Yeah, they've done well the past few years but Kayak is right on when he makes the analogy between WSU and Baylor (and might I add, TT). AND to go back into Texas where football is religion… Might be tantalizing. I think that was my only point in the "skittish" part.

The strike's against him moving are pointed out above and are valid. I also add a couple points that don't have enough emphasis, though.

- Baylor is private and a Conservative Christian school, to boot. I just don't see him fitting in that regard.
- And after this debacle, I don't see the University giving the athletic dept. any kind of freedom , which is one thing CML seems to covet. The political scene within his job is not something he wants/desires. Baylor will be filled with that, after this.

Regarding the "what if" if CML is offered? Simply? We do what we can to keep him at WSU. We'll never be able to compete with Baylor on a financial stance though. I can tell you that. They have money we only dream of. A bidding war is something we would lose quickly. So ultimately, we'll have to look for another coach if it came to it.

As everyone here has pointed out, though… Odds are pretty much against it. I just thought it interesting after some speculation, a major paper was calling it. My old time memory of WSU being a stepping stone as soon as a coach can leave (cough, cough, ERICKSON, cough, cough) will always bite me, I guess.

Personally, I don't think we offer Leach more money just because someone comes calling. The reason why Mike Leach isn't at Texas Tech is because the administration felt that he was using his success to leverage them on an annual basis. Back then, every off-season meant another rounds of discussions about what the new extortion would be. It doesn't matter if it was real or not....for the Tech leadership, it was incredibly poisonous and it turned them into a bunch of thugs that just wanted him gone. I don't think Moos should encourage that kind of thinking.

I would hope that Leach has a good relationship with Moos and that if he needs more money, that he would go to Bill and tell him, "I need this much to stay here". I hope that Moos respects Leach enough to give him a raise after the 2016 season if we win 9+ games again. Not a huge raise, but something for accomplishing something that only one other WSU coach accomplished. Treat each other with respect and ignore the outside noise.

Man2, I doubt that we are the only ones with those memories. Uncle Denny is certainly exhibit A. There were also Jackie Sherril, Warren Powers and eventually even Mike Price. On the hardwood we have memories of Harshman, Raveling, Sampson and Tony Bennett. It is no wonder that we have some pretty tender toes concerning this. And about time they start to heal, someone stomps on them again. Pretty natural that any foreboding of another instance makes us all a bit skittish even if the probability is remote.

Reactions: Coug95man2
Man2, I doubt that we are the only ones with those memories. Uncle Denny is certainly exhibit A. There were also Jackie Sherril, Warren Powers and eventually even Mike Price. On the hardwood we have memories of Harshman, Raveling, Sampson and Tony Bennett. It is no wonder that we have some pretty tender toes concerning this. And about time they start to heal, someone stomps on them again. Pretty natural that any foreboding of another instance makes us all a bit skittish even if the probability is remote.
The days when Joe Pa stick around for 25 plus are gone. Heck, if they don't pull out the game against Rutgers, Oregon, UCLA and finish below .500 people would have been talking about tis being Leach's make or break year. The old saying your hired to be fired really comes home to roost these days.

Personally, I don't think we offer Leach more money just because someone comes calling. The reason why Mike Leach isn't at Texas Tech is because the administration felt that he was using his success to leverage them on an annual basis. Back then, every off-season meant another rounds of discussions about what the new extortion would be. It doesn't matter if it was real or not....for the Tech leadership, it was incredibly poisonous and it turned them into a bunch of thugs that just wanted him gone. I don't think Moos should encourage that kind of thinking.

I would hope that Leach has a good relationship with Moos and that if he needs more money, that he would go to Bill and tell him, "I need this much to stay here". I hope that Moos respects Leach enough to give him a raise after the 2016 season if we win 9+ games again. Not a huge raise, but something for accomplishing something that only one other WSU coach accomplished. Treat each other with respect and ignore the outside noise.
In Leach's defense, yes, he was using the leverage of other offers in order to receive raises. But Texas Tech had challenged him on this issue and told him to do so. 'Fine, go see what you can get somewhere else.' So he did and to their surprise came back with offers essentially consistent with his request. Hoist by their own petard. Tech's administration was in denial regarding the expected income of a coach of Leach's stature. He asked for increased compensation on an annual basis late in his term in Lubbock because his success was increasing on the same annual basis. His salary requests were not excessive but only market value for someone with his resume.

Hopefully, if this comes to fruition in Pullman, we will be able to keep pace monetarily. But if, as man2 has posted, Baylor goes all Don Vito on him and that is overwhelmingly important to him then we are screwed.

In Leach's defense, yes, he was using the leverage of other offers in order to receive raises. But Texas Tech had challenged him on this issue and told him to do so. 'Fine, go see what you can get somewhere else.' So he did and to their surprise came back with offers essentially consistent with his request. Hoist by their own petard. Tech's administration was in denial regarding the expected income of a coach of Leach's stature. He asked for increased compensation on an annual basis late in his term in Lubbock because his success was increasing on the same annual basis. His salary requests were not excessive but only market value for someone with his resume.

Hopefully, if this comes to fruition in Pullman, we will be able to keep pace monetarily. But if, as man2 has posted, Baylor goes all Don Vito on him and that is overwhelmingly important to him then we are screwed.

There's no doubt that the Texas Tech situation was poisonous from the administration side. The argument about the annual raises based on performance has some merit as well. Still, let's say that we see the following records at WSU in the next six years:

2016: 8-5
2017: 10-3
2018: 8-5
2019: 9-4
2020: 11-2
2021: 8-4

Without a doubt, if we see that kind of winning at WSU, we will all agree that Leach has done a great job. No coach in WSU history would be able to compare themselves to that and not feel a bit jealous. FWIW, that is essentially what he did in his last six years at Tech. Now, think about if we see the following salary negotiations at the end of each as a result of that success and interest from other schools:

2016: $3,000,000 ($250,000 raise)
2017: $3,500,000 (lots of interest in Leach)
2018: status quo
2019: $4,000,000 (interest again)
2020: $5,000,000 (lots of interest)

Looking at the above, Leach's salary wouldn't be out of line with the rest of the college coaching world's salaries. I have no doubt that $5,000,000 could be a fairly run of the mill salary for a top tier coach. However, when you think about the fatigue of these annual conversations about Leach leaving, coupled with a huge increase in salary, and the natural tendency for people to lose perspective, that 8-4 regular season in 2021 would have a lot of people pissed off and feeling like they'd been taken for a ride. Tech never played for a Big 12 title under Leach and was close one time. If we were in the same shoes, I can imagine plenty of fans wondering if the stress was worth it, particularly when you remember that when Leach was at Tech, he had a tendency to lose one game a year that he had no business losing.

As I said above, I do hope that Leach and Moos keep an open door to each other and are honest about where he "needs" to be. We don't want to lose Leach out of cheapness, but trying to outbid the world is a fool's play on our part. If Leach has the above results, we would be fools to not be paying at least $4 million per year though.

I agree with your post, Flat. It is rather a "catch 22" isn't it? We want the team to be great but if it does so then the coaching staff will deserve a "great" salary, won't they? One which we will be unable to meet. Should we hope for 8-5 records including an appearance in a second tier bowl? If so, we will be able to afford compensation to the staff for their success. Or should we desire regular competition for the Pac12 championship and maybe- God forbid!- even the national championship? If that came to pass, we would find the staff leaving for greener- in the sense of money green- pastures lickety-split. If we get all we want, we can't afford it; if we accept a slightly lower bar, maybe we can. Catch 22.

I agree with your post, Flat. It is rather a "catch 22" isn't it? We want the team to be great but if it does so then the coaching staff will deserve a "great" salary, won't they? One which we will be unable to meet. Should we hope for 8-5 records including an appearance in a second tier bowl? If so, we will be able to afford compensation to the staff for their success. Or should we desire regular competition for the Pac12 championship and maybe- God forbid!- even the national championship? If that came to pass, we would find the staff leaving for greener- in the sense of money green- pastures lickety-split. If we get all we want, we can't afford it; if we accept a slightly lower bar, maybe we can. Catch 22.

I think the best we can hope for is that fan support is such that we can pony up that $4 million when it becomes "necessary" and that Leach (and some of his staff) love Pullman enough to want to stay put and not chase the bigger dollars. Eventually, we are going to lose some good assistants, but then we have to hope that Leach can find good replacements.

When Leach gets this team playing for Pac12 championships on a consistent basis, when he does eventually leave, the pool of applicant coaches all of a sudden become of much higher caliber than when we were taking FCS coaches. Good coaches will want to come here to take over a winning program at a university with great facilities.

I don't think WSU will be Leach's last job, but I'm not sure if we'll see him in Texas again, certainly not Baylor. The only intrigue for him would be to stick it Texas Tech every season. I don't see Baylor following up the Briles mess with Leach. Chip Kelly? Maybe.

I see Leach leaving us for a warm weather, coastal program someday to finish out his career where he wants to retire. Florida, Carolina's, Virginia/Virgina Tech, something like that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Slowmotionjones
When Leach gets this team playing for Pac12 championships on a consistent basis, when he does eventually leave, the pool of applicant coaches all of a sudden become of much higher caliber than when we were taking FCS coaches. Good coaches will want to come here to take over a winning program at a university with great facilities.

Agree that if Leach accomplishes what he is trying to do, we will have a shot at getting a much higher profile coach when he leaves. I just hope that we don't make the mistake of going after a douchebag like Tommy Tuberville like Tech did. Guy was a fraud who only did well when the cheating coalesced for him. He was mediocre at Mississippi but somehow got Auburn to him, he had three good years at Auburn in the middle of his tenure but was otherwise mediocre, he stunk at Texas Tech and he's driving Cincinnati into the ground. We need to make a good choice when the time comes, not go after a guy who had his name in the paper a few years ago.

well who knows??11... maybe when Coach Leach departs yrs down road ideally.. maybe our beloved Cougs hire a former Def Coordinator --after he moved on to take a new HC job elsewhere in 2018...by the name of Grinch

I don't think WSU will be Leach's last job, but I'm not sure if we'll see him in Texas again, certainly not Baylor. The only intrigue for him would be to stick it Texas Tech every season. I don't see Baylor following up the Briles mess with Leach. Chip Kelly? Maybe.

I see Leach leaving us for a warm weather, coastal program someday to finish out his career where he wants to retire. Florida, Carolina's, Virginia/Virgina Tech, something like that.

I think it is entirely possible that WSU is Leach's last stop.

I think it is entirely possible that WSU is Leach's last stop.

Could see that too. We're talking our book, so to speak, and he's a hard guy to read, but he's said that he really admires Bill Snyder and what he's done. I could see Leach staying at WSU a long time, establishing it as a consistent winner, and building his legacy in that way. I think he values a friendly, no-BS administration and a (relatively) low-pressure, low-scrutiny environment more than some think.

As far as Leach Leaving at some point......

I think he likes WSU and will stay for a good long time, as long as 1) we are able to pay him what he feels he is worth, based on his successes (that's what went south at TTech), 2) he feels he has the continued full support of the administrators, and 3) no school comes along with a "crazy, game changing offer".

I start to get some rumblings in my gut when I read about upper level WSU folks saying things about "unsustainable deficit spending at WSU" and "athletics being a major part of the deficits". Not that I don't agree that major deficit spending is by nature unsustainable, without the resources to make up for it down the line. But, when I see the president of the university making those kinds of statements, in the current athletic environment in which we find ourselves a part......I start to think about how "supportive" the administration is really going to be, or seem to be, to a guy like Mike Leach? If the new president is forced to "rein in" the AD, that's going to ultimately affect Leach.

If we can get better revenue streams from the P12 deal, as originally promised, or if the new president has some magic bullets he has brought along from KSU (where revenue to the athletic department from outside sources seemed very strong), then maybe we will be OK?

I'm not preaching gloom and doom here AT ALL.

I'm just saying that there are some reasonable scenarios where Leach might feel like WSU is heading away from the direction where he feels his criteria for future success can be met?

Patrol from what I understand none of the jobs you mentioned would be the job that intrigues Leach. I heard there is one job that Leach would leave for tomorrow, but it is not open and probably won't be for awhile. And I am not sure money in the purest sense means much to Leach. He doesn't lead an extravagant lifestyle and what he has made at WSU alone would easily sustain him for the rest of his life if he chose to walk away tomorrow.

Then I look at what other coaches are starting to make and there is becoming a huge gap in what he makes versus other top level coaches. Does he need the money? No. Does he want the money cause he thinks he needs the money. No. But I could see him wanting the money because that is what is fair in the market place. WSU is now into the reality portion of the money problem. Capital spending, a school budget in the red, no sugar daddy that will heel the budget problem, and a new President who has mentioned fiscal restraint before his first official day on the job. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Reactions: Slowmotionjones
As far as Leach Leaving at some point......

I think he likes WSU and will stay for a good long time, as long as 1) we are able to pay him what he feels he is worth, based on his successes (that's what went south at TTech), 2) he feels he has the continued full support of the administrators, and 3) no school comes along with a "crazy, game changing offer".

I start to get some rumblings in my gut when I read about upper level WSU folks saying things about "unsustainable deficit spending at WSU" and "athletics being a major part of the deficits". Not that I don't agree that major deficit spending is by nature unsustainable, without the resources to make up for it down the line. But, when I see the president of the university making those kinds of statements, in the current athletic environment in which we find ourselves a part......I start to think about how "supportive" the administration is really going to be, or seem to be, to a guy like Mike Leach? If the new president is forced to "rein in" the AD, that's going to ultimately affect Leach.

If we can get better revenue streams from the P12 deal, as originally promised, or if the new president has some magic bullets he has brought along from KSU (where revenue to the athletic department from outside sources seemed very strong), then maybe we will be OK?

I'm not preaching gloom and doom here AT ALL.

I'm just saying that there are some reasonable scenarios where Leach might feel like WSU is heading away from the direction where he feels his criteria for future success can be met?

Don't get panicky about Schulz. He understands the importance of football and will not do anything to jeopardize it. We may not see any further stadium expansion without huge donations up front though. KSU was very successful in their fundraising campaigns prior to construction and I think Schulz will try to make that happen at WSU as much as possible.

Does he need the money? No. Does he want the money cause he thinks he needs the money. No.
Unless you personally know Mike Leach and have had this discussion with him, it seems very presumptuous to suggest you know what Mike Leach wants or what he thinks he needs.

Unless you personally know Mike Leach and have had this discussion with him, it seems very presumptuous to suggest you know what Mike Leach wants or what he thinks he needs.
Well a lot of times things aren't what they seem. Leach is who he is. You can read about him and what is important to him. You can read about his negotiations when it comes to contracts. You can read if you would like about his lifestyle and what he enjoys doing. Leach is a cowboy in the truest sense with a law background. My college roommates father was a lot like Leach in that it was the simplest of pleasures that made his day. You would never know by the 1980 pick up truck the guy was a millionaire 40 plus times over.

I don't see Leach as someone who has extravagant tastes, vacation homes in every port, nice luxury cars. Do you? I see a guy who is grounded into Wyoming roots, and gets fulfilled by the hard work he puts into each day. Is that presumptuous as well?

Reactions: kayak15
Well a lot of times things aren't what they seem. Leach is who he is. You can read about him and what is important to him. You can read about his negotiations when it comes to contracts. You can read if you would like about his lifestyle and what he enjoys doing. Leach is a cowboy in the truest sense with a law background. My college roommates father was a lot like Leach in that it was the simplest of pleasures that made his day. You would never know by the 1980 pick up truck the guy was a millionaire 40 plus times over.

I don't see Leach as someone who has extravagant tastes, vacation homes in every port, nice luxury cars. Do you? I see a guy who is grounded into Wyoming roots, and gets fulfilled by the hard work he puts into each day. Is that presumptuous as well?
The Florida Keys are a long way off (figuratively and literally) from Wyoming. I don't know Leach, and I don't know what he wants and/or thinks he needs, and I doubt you'd be able to truly know that regardless of what you read about the guy.

Patrol from what I understand none of the jobs you mentioned would be the job that intrigues Leach. I heard there is one job that Leach would leave for tomorrow, but it is not open and probably won't be for awhile. And I am not sure money in the purest sense means much to Leach. He doesn't lead an extravagant lifestyle and what he has made at WSU alone would easily sustain him for the rest of his life if he chose to walk away tomorrow.

Then I look at what other coaches are starting to make and there is becoming a huge gap in what he makes versus other top level coaches. Does he need the money? No. Does he want the money cause he thinks he needs the money. No. But I could see him wanting the money because that is what is fair in the market place. WSU is now into the reality portion of the money problem. Capital spending, a school budget in the red, no sugar daddy that will heel the budget problem, and a new President who has mentioned fiscal restraint before his first official day on the job. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.
what's the job that he'd leave for tomorrow?

I don't see CML leaving a situation where he feels wanted & supported. Compensation is a part of that, as is administrative support. Respect goes a long way. And the environment fits. I think he is ours to lose, so long as the job situation remains as it is now.

The Florida Keys are a long way off (figuratively and literally) from Wyoming. I don't know Leach, and I don't know what he wants and/or thinks he needs, and I doubt you'd be able to truly know that regardless of what you read about the guy.
So if I say he is a hard worker because of what I read about him that is presumptuous? So if I said I read that he gave a lot of money to charity X and I said he is generous that is presumptuous? And what if I had the convo with him about what is important to him and what isn't. I think Leach is a very transparent person\. What you see is what you get.

Not only that, read about his day. He didn't even know when randy Edsal was fired by Maryland, a job he interviewed for. The coaching world is very different. And they have very little down time even
what's the job that he'd leave for tomorrow?
Probably a little over the top. How about saying it this way. He loves Pullman, and there would be only one job I heard that would interest him.

Of course that could always change when a new President takes over. New President could men a different philosophy. New AD, who knows.

I don't see CML leaving a situation where he feels wanted & supported. Compensation is a part of that, as is administrative support. Respect goes a long way. And the environment fits. I think he is ours to lose, so long as the job situation remains as it is now.
Great way to put it.

So if I say he is a hard worker because of what I read about him that is presumptuous? So if I said I read that he gave a lot of money to charity X and I said he is generous that is presumptuous? And what if I had the convo with him about what is important to him and what isn't. I think Leach is a very transparent person\. What you see is what you get.

Not only that, read about his day. He didn't even know when randy Edsal was fired by Maryland, a job he interviewed for. The coaching world is very different. And they have very little down time even

Probably a little over the top. How about saying it this way. He loves Pullman, and there would be only one job I heard that would interest him.

Of course that could always change when a new President takes over. New President could men a different philosophy. New AD, who knows.
i'm not worried about hyperbole. :) i was just curious what the job was/is.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT