ADVERTISEMENT

CML...

Unless you personally know Mike Leach and have had this discussion with him, it seems very presumptuous to suggest you know what Mike Leach wants or what he thinks he needs.
I have to go along with Ed on this one, Finger. Obviously, Leach does not need two million plus a year to maintain his lifestyle. That said, if you are making $100,000 a year and living comfortably on that, it is still going to piss you off if the person in the next cubicle or office is making twice that while doing the same job and not as well as you do. Whether you need the extra $100,000 is irrelevant. It is a matter of respect and fairness. Nobody really knows for sure what is deep in someone's head and certainly more so in the case of an unusual personality like CML. All we can do is conjecture which is what Ed is doing.

Is the money beyond what he needs to live comfortably important to him? Who knows? There is the old saying that "Everyone has his price." I suspect (conjecture warning) that his is fairly high.

You are certainly right about the Florida Keys and Wyoming. That has always struck me as a bit odd. Perhaps an outgrowth of his interest in pirates. One the other hand, I would believe that the average citizen of Washtucna or a similar location would like having a second home in the Florida Keys.

I think it's BYU.
That would make some sense but BYU requires the HC to be a Mormon in good standing, not a Jack Mormon such as CML. Too bad. I would like to be a fly on the wall watching Leach being interviewed by those old white men on the council of elders in SLC. "Any of you boys have something I can use as a spit cup? No? O.K. Now where was I? Oh, yeah! So me and Floyd are in this dive bar down in Mexicali when in walks a............."

Don't get panicky about Schulz. He understands the importance of football and will not do anything to jeopardize it. We may not see any further stadium expansion without huge donations up front though. KSU was very successful in their fundraising campaigns prior to construction and I think Schulz will try to make that happen at WSU as much as possible.

I have no sense of panic about any of this. I'm merely pointing out that one of the conditions Mike Leach states as important to him is the full support of the administrators above him. And the new president has a juggling act, with priorities of his own to manage.

I do NOT think Leach is going anywhere else, any time soon.

I think there's a POSSIBILITY that Schultz, under pressure from those he's responsible to (Regents, Legislature, faculty pressure, etc), may have to make some decisions that could be interpreted by Leach as undercutting the support he feels is necessary for his own success. That sort of scenario is merely one of the situations I think could cause Leach to maybe move on, rather than stay long term.

As I said, the other two main scenarios I see causing that sort of outcome would be - for WSU to not pay him what he felt was a fair value, or for some school to come along and pay crazy "break the bank" money for him. It's not that he's in desperate need of the money. It's more a matter of what he feels he's earned (fair value) and a matter of pride/ego with the crazy money situation.

Very, very few folks turn down crazy money. I.e.- more than tripling his salary, etc. But Leach just might turn down certain schools, or certain situations, if he didn't like the "fit"?

Let's hope we never even have to face those scenarios. Personally, I hope Leach stays for a good long while and leads us to much success over that time. And, if he does leave at some point, he has put us in a situation where we can easily hire a great new coach to replace him.

Stadium remodel, football ops building, lockerroom, weight room all relatively brand new. Leach can't complain about not having new stuff. He makes $2M per year so he's not broke.

I'm struggling to see what any coach would be unhappy about with the admin at WSU.

I have to go along with Ed on this one, Finger. Obviously, Leach does not need two million plus a year to maintain his lifestyle. That said, if you are making $100,000 a year and living comfortably on that, it is still going to piss you off if the person in the next cubicle or office is making twice that while doing the same job and not as well as you do. Whether you need the extra $100,000 is irrelevant. It is a matter of respect and fairness. Nobody really knows for sure what is deep in someone's head and certainly more so in the case of an unusual personality like CML. All we can do is conjecture which is what Ed is doing.

Is the money beyond what he needs to live comfortably important to him? Who knows? There is the old saying that "Everyone has his price." I suspect (conjecture warning) that his is fairly high.

You are certainly right about the Florida Keys and Wyoming. That has always struck me as a bit odd. Perhaps an outgrowth of his interest in pirates. One the other hand, I would believe that the average citizen of Washtucna or a similar location would like having a second home in the Florida Keys.
Nobody knows what Leach's financial goals are--maybe he wants to put enough money away that his kids are set for life, maybe he wants to set up The Mike Leach Charitable Foundation, or any other of a number of financial ventures. And ONLY Leach (and maybe his wife) knows what Leach thinks he needs. It's pretty silly for Ed to be speaking for Leach in those terms, but then again, it's Ed.

Leach gets $2.75 million a year, not $2 million. I know the general points still stand, but we might as well be talking about the right number.

Nobody knows what Leach's financial goals are--maybe he wants to put enough money away that his kids are set for life, maybe he wants to set up The Mike Leach Charitable Foundation, or any other of a number of financial ventures. And ONLY Leach (and maybe his wife) knows what Leach thinks he needs. It's pretty silly for Ed to be speaking for Leach in those terms, but then again, it's Ed.
A fair point. Maybe he wants to save a bundle for future dispersal in some manner. From what I know, he is not spending it now in extravagant living. As you said, nobody- possibly including his wife- knows for sure. We have a good data base from which to form conclusions but in the end it is all speculation, not fact. That last bit of information, what Leach thinks, will always be missing. In the end it is an educated guess, isn't it?

Reactions: Coug82
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT