ADVERTISEMENT

Coaches in the tournament

Glad Cougar

Hall Of Fame
Apr 2, 2003
Aberdeen SD
Whether or not any of these guys will be interested in the WSU position, I'm watching some of the coaches as they lead their teams into post season play.

I'll begin by repeating an earlier observation on the coaches of North Dakota State & North Carolina Central. They played each other the other night and I was impressed with the way each team played as a unit. Both have been coached to play hard nosed defense, both actually run half court offenses that involve a lot of screens, cuts, etc.....and both coaches have obviously made it important to value the basketball by eliminating a lot of carelessness and bad fundamentals. LeVelle Moton (NC Central) and David Richman (ND State) are both young and seem to get the most out of their teams. Moton was a finalist at FL Atlantic when Chun was AD, so there's a connection. I like them both.

I watched Jans and DeCuire last night. Don't know if I can fault the coach, but a NM State player passed up a surefire game tying layup with 3 seconds left in order to throw the ball out to a 3-point shooter to win. Gutsy, it almost worked when the shooter was fouled...but he missed 2 of 3 free throws and Auburn escaped with a win. Maybe that's a mindset created by the coach, but I'd be furious as an Aggie fan right now...and would feel very lucky had that 3-point shot gone in. To his credit, Jans didn't throw the player under the bus at all...but I really couldn't tell how well his teams are coached. They definitely have some talent, which he largely inherited.

DeCuire didn't impress me one bit. Montana was overmatched by Michigan, but I didn't see a lot of adjustments or unique gameplan to keep the Grizzlies in the game. A lot of one-on-one stuff that looked similar to what we've seen at WSU the past 5 years. The team played hard, so that's a plus, but I don't think either of these two coaches are what's needed at WSU.

They haven't been mentioned among rumored candidates, but I was impressed yesterday with Bradley's coach (Brian Wardle), Murray State's coach (Matt McMahon...although it helps to have a Ja Morant), and, of course, Randy Bennett at St. Mary's. Each guy put out a very competitive and well coached team.

Probably not very fair to base an opinion on just one game seen on TV, but that's what I'm doing.

Glad Cougar

I'll get out on a limb and say at least 65 of the 68 teams are better coached than what we've seen the last 5 years. It might even be 66.

It's all a matter of perspective.

WATCH UCI, USU, and Buffalo and let us know
Buffalo has a hell of a team, a lot of them recruited ironically by Hurley. Coach Nate Oates has them playing at a high level. High octane offense. Looks like they take care of the ball and play in-your-face defense. Oates was Hurley's assistant at Buffalo and was promoted.

Cal Irvine pulled off the upset today vs. K-state. I'm thinking Russell Turner is bound for a better job than WSU but he's worth pursuing and making a pitch. Certainly the kind of coach that can do more with less.

Utah State played very poorly, IMO, vs. UW. Craig Smith has had them playing well all season but in this game, he got outcoached by Hopkins. Very poor ball handling, I thought he should have slowed things down a bit and take a page out of what UO did vs. UW. He's an exictable coach, jumps up and down a lot on the sideline. I still like him but he's not going anywhere after just one season at USU.

One other coach I saw today that I really like is John Brannen at Northern Kentucky. His best players were shut down by Texas Tech's great defense, but the game plan was sound and he has his team playing hard.

Let's get them all in for an interview!

Glad Cougar

Whether or not any of these guys will be interested in the WSU position, I'm watching some of the coaches as they lead their teams into post season play.

I'll begin by repeating an earlier observation on the coaches of North Dakota State & North Carolina Central. They played each other the other night and I was impressed with the way each team played as a unit. Both have been coached to play hard nosed defense, both actually run half court offenses that involve a lot of screens, cuts, etc.....and both coaches have obviously made it important to value the basketball by eliminating a lot of carelessness and bad fundamentals. LeVelle Moton (NC Central) and David Richman (ND State) are both young and seem to get the most out of their teams. Moton was a finalist at FL Atlantic when Chun was AD, so there's a connection. I like them both.

I watched Jans and DeCuire last night. Don't know if I can fault the coach, but a NM State player passed up a surefire game tying layup with 3 seconds left in order to throw the ball out to a 3-point shooter to win. Gutsy, it almost worked when the shooter was fouled...but he missed 2 of 3 free throws and Auburn escaped with a win. Maybe that's a mindset created by the coach, but I'd be furious as an Aggie fan right now...and would feel very lucky had that 3-point shot gone in. To his credit, Jans didn't throw the player under the bus at all...but I really couldn't tell how well his teams are coached. They definitely have some talent, which he largely inherited.

DeCuire didn't impress me one bit. Montana was overmatched by Michigan, but I didn't see a lot of adjustments or unique gameplan to keep the Grizzlies in the game. A lot of one-on-one stuff that looked similar to what we've seen at WSU the past 5 years. The team played hard, so that's a plus, but I don't think either of these two coaches are what's needed at WSU.

They haven't been mentioned among rumored candidates, but I was impressed yesterday with Bradley's coach (Brian Wardle), Murray State's coach (Matt McMahon...although it helps to have a Ja Morant), and, of course, Randy Bennett at St. Mary's. Each guy put out a very competitive and well coached team.

Probably not very fair to base an opinion on just one game seen on TV, but that's what I'm doing.

Glad Cougar
Randy Bennett... He could do something. Interesting I hadn't thought of him. I'd be good with this choice.

Randy Bennett... He could do something. Interesting I hadn't thought of him. I'd be good with this choice.

I'm still of the opinion that Chun knows best - and as others have said, his legacy will be cemented on this hire. So far, he and Leach are simpatico so that's off the table for now relative to job performance.

However, from a purely speculative point, Randy Bennett would be an amazing choice. Randy Bennett plus Ben Johnson on the bench MIGHT be the keys to the kingdom. Aussie heaven - and it's not like the Cougs haven't had a foothold there in the past.

I just don't think the next choice is going to be able to get the talent available domestically in a relatively short time - a deep international Rolodex might be the tonic for a quick fix.

And the international players would most certainly be more fundamentally sound than going the JUCO route and less risk academically, I would think. Looking at the current GU model, they've found the sweet spot between homegrown, international and transfer players.

Randy Bennett has like a life-time appointment so I don't beleive he would be in. As to Ben Johnson I aways sort of liked his work with posts. Baynes in particular. Not sure about him as a Head Coach. Sort of wonder if any of the existing staff will get a look?

I always liked Johnson. Clearly good with bigs, and a good recruiter to Pullman.

Honestly, I'm not sure WSU is a step up from any of those schools from a basketball point of view. All of those guys have figured out how to get their school to the Tourney, and teams that get there once tend to keep getting bids. They are all looking at huge raises and long-term contracts, and basically a job for life. Who is to say Buffalo can't be the next Gonzaga? They have a pretty large population base in Western New York, and Syracuse is clearly on the decline. Pretty much all of those teams will be back to the dance before WSU...

Honestly, I'm not sure WSU is a step up from any of those schools from a basketball point of view. All of those guys have figured out how to get their school to the Tourney, and teams that get there once tend to keep getting bids. They are all looking at huge raises and long-term contracts, and basically a job for life. Who is to say Buffalo can't be the next Gonzaga? They have a pretty large population base in Western New York, and Syracuse is clearly on the decline. Pretty much all of those teams will be back to the dance before WSU...
Winning breeds winning. Sometimes the grass isn't always greener. Wouldn't monson love to have passed on Minnesota and kept winning with Gonzaga? Not sure he would have but odds are better than 50%. Truth is if I were lots of these candidates I would pass. If I were an assistant that was not next in line, like Ben Johnson, sure i would leap...but Lloyd??? Not a chance unless GU promised me a gig if it didn't work out.

Last edited:
Bryce Drew gets fired at Vandy was a bit of a surprise. Only there 3 years, new AD with no college experience (NBA-G League), supposedly only went to a game or 2.

I doubt he would come west but definitely a name who while offensive minded was also committed to the defensive end. Players seem to like him at Valpo. Don’t know about Vandy. Maybe not a fit but someone else to ponder on.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.tennessean.com/amp/82649156

Last edited:
Bryce Drew gets fired at Vandy was a bit of a surprise. Only there 3 years, new AD with no college experience (NBA-G League), supposedly only went to a game or 2.

I doubt he would come west but definitely a name who while offensive minded was also committed to the defensive end. Players seem to like him at Valpo. Don’t know about Vandy.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.tennessean.com/amp/82649156
Should have stayed at Valpo. Learned his lesson...I hope. Vandy is similar to our situation and didn't have a ton of success. LOVED his NCAA heroics but that only goes so far. Plus his brother is shady....or Baylor is.

Should have stayed at Valpo. Learned his lesson...I hope. Vandy is similar to our situation and didn't have a ton of success. LOVED his NCAA heroics but that only goes so far. Plus his brother is shady....or Baylor is.
I can see why he left though. He was making about $2.4M more at Vandy with his 6-year $16.3M contract. Baylor and the brother definitely have some shade attached to them that’s for sure.

In some other parts of the country, going winless in conference play is a one-way ticket out of town. That's what happened to Drew at Vandy. His trend line was going down after getting the team into NCAAs the first season with Stallings' recruits, as his team lost 43 games the last 2 years.

I agree with all that's said about WSU not being a better job for many of these guys than the one they already have (i.e., Oates at Buffalo). The only possible reason for some of these guys to consider Pullman is the salary we might be able to offer (or will need to offer to be competitive with other PAC-12 coaching salaries). Many of the coaches I like are only making around $300 K where they are at, and not likely to get a big salary boost unless they move on. The other selling point I would offer is that if you can win at WSU, you'll be snapped up by a much bigger, better basketball program. Sampson and Bennett are exhibit A and B. If that makes us nothing more than Stepping Stone University, I'm okay with that at this point.

Glad Cougar

Buffalo is a better job than WSU (at least for the foreseeable future). Big population base, let alone the whole Toronto metro area which is insane good basketball. The only game in town and it's quite possible they turn into the next Gonzaga. Remains to be seen whether Oates can reload once Hurley's recruits leave.

Vanderbilt is just strange - Nashville is an amazing city, Vanderbilt is Stanford of the SEC. Should be relatively easy to get good personnel. No reason to even consider Bryce Drew - he had his shot. Don't need another Ernie-like scenario of giving redemption to another coach who failed to perform elsewhere with more resources.

Reactions: taf88
There are a couple of "retreads" I would consider for WSU. When Tim Miles gets fired by Moos after Nebraska wins or exits the NIT, I'd give him a call. He's built a competitive program in Lincoln but just can't lift it to the next level. Had Nebraska stayed in the Big 12, I think he would be in more NCAA tournaments. Another retread I'd consider is John Groce at Akron, who was let go at Illinois even though they made post season tournaments in 4 of his 5 years. (Man, the Big 10 is a tough conference!) Groce, of course, was an assistant at Ohio State while Chun was there and had great success at Ohio U. If you want to count Thad Matta as a retread, I'd take him, too.

I would avoid other retreads like Billy Kennedy, Marvin Menzies, Steve Alford, and even Mark Fox.

But hey, Todd Bozeman is now available!

Glad Cougar

Buffalo is a better job than WSU (at least for the foreseeable future). Big population base, let alone the whole Toronto metro area which is insane good basketball. The only game in town and it's quite possible they turn into the next Gonzaga. Remains to be seen whether Oates can reload once Hurley's recruits leave.

Vanderbilt is just strange - Nashville is an amazing city, Vanderbilt is Stanford of the SEC. Should be relatively easy to get good personnel. No reason to even consider Bryce Drew - he had his shot. Don't need another Ernie-like scenario of giving redemption to another coach who failed to perform elsewhere with more resources.

How many basketball players really care about academics.especially those that get rides to Power 6 schools? I’m convinced most of them are more concerned with who they will sign their shoe contract with or if they’ll stay in college more than a year when they sign their LOI before reality sets in that they aren’t a .1%er that will play in the NBA in this age of 1 and doners.

How many basketball players really care about academics.especially those that get rides to Power 6 schools? I’m convinced most of them are more concerned with who they will sign their shoe contract with or if they’ll stay in college more than a year when they sign their LOI before reality sets in that they aren’t a .1%er that will play in the NBA in this age of 1 and doners.

Likely true - but in the chance mama and papa want to hear that benefit, it's a good one to have.

Coach K isn't riding on Duke academics in his one-and-done sales pitch but he certainly highlights the educational opportunities once the lightbult goes on with Junior and his entourage that Nike hasn't sent a bag man during the season.

That's not the basis for building but it has to be in the conversation. Dick and Tony's teams graduated the crap out of players and they were intelligent enough to take instruction. Ernie graduated the crap out of players but he couldn't teach. Based on the GPAs of those who stuck around, WSU hasn't had 'dumb' players the last few years, they had dumb instruction.

Bryce Drew's dad Homer Drew was an assistant with Dale Brown on Bob Greenwood's one year staff in Pullman.

That was two years before he was born.

Randy Bennett would be crazy to leave St Mary’s for us, and he won’t.

One thing about Randy Bennett - as of 6/30/17 he was making 565,000 (had to look up their 990 to find this). He signed a new 10 year contract shortly thereafter, so I'm sure it has gone up - a little. Say 6-700K.

He's 56, labors in the shadow of Gonzaga, and while he often gets to the tournament they are usually promptly beaten.

So, Randy, we will double your salary to EK money and give a you 5 year contract (and no California state income tax), never mind cost of living otherwise. Worst case, you make as much as you would in 10 years at St. Mary's, and can choose to retire at 61-62. Best case, you have some success, stay as long as you want, and have way more coin than you would staying at St. Mary's.

Worth a phone call. Aussie pipeline, California recruiting roots, small school chip on shoulder?

Hasn't Randy Bennett had the opportunity to coach at Cal and/or Stanford in the past few years?
I'm thinking he wouldn't leave St. Mary's for anything less than those schools, but I'd make the call. He's a darn good coach.

Glad Cougar

Hasn't Randy Bennett had the opportunity to coach at Cal and/or Stanford in the past few years?
I'm thinking he wouldn't leave St. Mary's for anything less than those schools, but I'd make the call. He's a darn good coach.

Glad Cougar
Definitely have heard Cal and it wouldn't surprise me if Stanford has come looking. When Bone was hired the rumor was he really wanted a Pac 12 job but was not interested in WSU or probably OSU. He doesn't seem like a rebuild guy.

Glad Cougar

Definitely have heard Cal and it wouldn't surprise me if Stanford has come looking. When Bone was hired the rumor was he really wanted a Pac 12 job but was not interested in WSU or probably OSU. He doesn't seem like a rebuild guy.

There again, worth a phone call.

Nothing wrong with a guy who is happy with his job, is loved by his constituents, and doesn't want to reach higher. Not my persona, but nothing to scoff at. Then again, when you are to that last stretch in a career, maybe the perspective changes.

There again, worth a phone call.

Nothing wrong with a guy who is happy with his job, is loved by his constituents, and doesn't want to reach higher. Not my persona, but nothing to scoff at. Then again, when you are to that last stretch in a career, maybe the perspective changes.
Definitely worth a call. Hiring the search firm should cast a wide net to hopefully efficiently gauge interest. Along with a raise the next coach will also get a lot of patience likely in the form of a 6-year contract.

At 56 Bennett is closing in on 20 years in Moraga.

A guaranteed contract making double at his age might change his mind.

One thing about Randy Bennett - as of 6/30/17 he was making 565,000 (had to look up their 990 to find this). He signed a new 10 year contract shortly thereafter, so I'm sure it has gone up - a little. Say 6-700K.

He's 56, labors in the shadow of Gonzaga, and while he often gets to the tournament they are usually promptly beaten.

So, Randy, we will double your salary to EK money and give a you 5 year contract (and no California state income tax), never mind cost of living otherwise. Worst case, you make as much as you would in 10 years at St. Mary's, and can choose to retire at 61-62. Best case, you have some success, stay as long as you want, and have way more coin than you would staying at St. Mary's.

Worth a phone call. Aussie pipeline, California recruiting roots, small school chip on shoulder?

A guaranteed contract making double at his age might change his mind.

Dang, where did I read this before? Oh, from my OWN post this morning (above)!

Heh - glad to see you agree with me gibby. This is a good trend. :cool:. Although I see that Cal just fired their coach so I guess if Bennett wants to do the above he might as well just call them. He might not even have to move. Not sure how close Moraga is to Berkeley........

Dang, where did I read this before? Oh, from my OWN post this morning (above)!

Heh - glad to see you agree with me gibby. This is a good trend. :cool:. Although I see that Cal just fired their coach so I guess if Bennett wants to do the above he might as well just call them. He might not even have to move. Not sure how close Moraga is to Berkeley........
Just a little closer than Pullman even with traffic.

EK didn't "fail" at Oregon, imho. He decided that banging his side piece was more important that W's. Maybe he lands Love and Singler if he was spending more time in the living room and less time in the bedroom.

Just sayin'

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT