ADVERTISEMENT

Coug-Cowboy predictions:

Well I'm on the opposite of the political spectrum as Hirta but cmon Loyal. What happened to that kid in 98 was disgraceful and showed the absolute worst side of humanity... regardless as to what the motivations were... and it is a black eye for the community and the state that we all have to live with. That is not us, Laramie is a welcoming, diverse, and blue community. Using that atrocity as a means of attacking someone that came on a football forum to talk about a football game is most definitely "weak sauce". Washington produces a lot of serial killers... are you all serial killers? Do we assume you are because you're from Washington? No. Do we bring it up when you come to our forum to talk football? Hell no. Are you defined by the worst thing that has ever happened in your state's history? Back to football.

Last edited:
Reactions: hirta
Funny how much actual football can get discussed when 85% of the posts aren't personal attacks or political stuff ....

Well I'm on the opposite of the political spectrum as Hirta but cmon Loyal. What happened to that kid in 98 was disgraceful and showed the absolute worst side of humanity... regardless as to what the motivations were... and it is a black eye on for the community and the state that we all have to live with. That is not us, Laramie is a welcoming, diverse, and blue community. Using that atrocity as a means of attacking someone that came on a football forum to talk about a football game is most definitely "weak sauce". Washington produces a lot of serial killers... are you all serial killers? Do we assume you are because you're from Washington? No. Do we bring it up when you come to our forum to talk football? Hell no.

Hey I said I was sorry. I was wrong to mention Dick Cheney and Matthew Shepard, although it was in response to a somewhat flamey post. On our site. But in all fairness, hirta's reply was a helluva lot worse:

hirta:
what I heard from people in Laramie, his death was due to a drug deal gone bad.....but that doesn't fit into the LGBT game plan so guess what, the press follows what is popular.

Considering what the far left has done to the once beautiful city of Seattle, filthy and littered with drug needles, I don't think that I would start running down another state. Dick Cheney's daughter is a Congresswoman from Wyoming and frankly I voted for her and I have the utmost respect for Dick Cheney.

Anyway, one more time. SORRY! Here's to a great game. Can't wait. And I actually have a soft spot for Wyoming. First, jackalopes taste like chicken, and as all Cougs know and agree, the greatest coach in WSU history played at Wyoming. Right Tron? :rolleyes: And as noted, I am a big Chris LeDoux fan. RIP.

Edit: Found this article on our (and Wyoming's!) HOF coach/player:
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/aug/30/previewing-the-jim-walden-bowl-an-all-encompassing/

Last edited:
Hey I said I was sorry. I was wrong to mention Dick Cheney and Matthew Shepard, although it was in response to a somewhat flamey post. On our site. But in all fairness, hirta's reply was a helluva lot worse:

hirta:
what I heard from people in Laramie, his death was due to a drug deal gone bad.....but that doesn't fit into the LGBT game plan so guess what, the press follows what is popular.

Considering what the far left has done to the once beautiful city of Seattle, filthy and littered with drug needles, I don't think that I would start running down another state. Dick Cheney's daughter is a Congresswoman from Wyoming and frankly I voted for her and I have the utmost respect for Dick Cheney.

Anyway, one more time. SORRY! Here's to a great game. Can't wait. And I actually have a soft spot for Wyoming. First, jackalopes taste like chicken, and as all Cougs know and agree, the greatest coach in WSU history played at Wyoming. Right Tron? :rolleyes: And as noted, I am a big Chris LeDoux fan. RIP.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/aug/30/previewing-the-jim-walden-bowl-an-all-encompassing/

I was writing that while you posted your apology. It's all good. As sensitive of a topic as there is, obviously.

Shout out from Cheyenne from a Leach fan.

Hirta, WSU fans might be a little more impressed with the Cowboys defense last year if the Cowboys hadn't been spanked badly by Oregon (a team that WSU has beaten the last three years in a row). Can you guess how many points Oregon scored against the Cowboy's defense last year?

Anyhow, Leach has had a hard time with season openers at WSU although I'd argue extenuating circumstances with most of those losses. He didn't have any problems with season openers at TTU and I think/hope he finally got WSU on track with his season opening win last year...Unfortunately for WSU the Cowboys aren't the "cupcake" team that Leach likes to start out it.

Leach is a proven winner, and clearly has WSU consistently on the winning track now. While Leach's teams win most of their games (and should do so this year) and at their best have the potential to beat just about any team (not named Oklahoma and apparently, Washington), going all the way back to TTU they consistently have a very bad game about every season. Fans should never forget this.

On the other hand, having watched Cowboy football for 30 years now it's been my observation that they don't have the depth to rotate quality players as the game goes on against P5 level teams. They typically lose the 3rd and 4th quarters in these games.

All this is to say I "think" WSU will win the game, but I wouldn't bet big money on it and there certainly is a chance the Cowboys will win.

One thing every fan of a Leach team needs is "humility", as we typically need it at least once a season...

Shout out from Cheyenne from a Leach fan.

Hirta, WSU fans might be a little more impressed with the Cowboys defense last year if the Cowboys hadn't been spanked badly by Oregon (a team that WSU has beaten the last three years in a row). Can you guess how many points Oregon scored against the Cowboy's defense last year?

One thing every fan of a Leach team needs is "humility", as we typically need it at least once a season...
To be fair, UO was at full strength last year when they played Wyoming with a healthy Herbert and
Freeman. WSU got to face perhaps the most ill-prepared backup QB I"ve ever seen in a Pac-12 game, Braxton Burmeister. Not trying to diminish WSU's win....I love beating the Ducks no matter who is playing for them....but the Cougs were fortunate that Herbert was out for that game.

I still stick to my prediction of 28-17 Cougars.

Glad Cougar

If you knew what you were freakin talking about, "It's freakin Wyoming", then you wouldn't embarrass yourself so badly. The Wyoming defense was ranked preseason #10 in the whole nation for FBS, and yes that includes all of the P5 schools. Andrew Wingard (6'-0", 215, Sr.) was preseason First Team All-American at Safety. Carl Granderson (6'-5", 261, Sr.) is a first team MWC DE and from reports with NFL GM's if he had come early last season he would have been no worse than a 3rd Round Choice. Youhanna Ghaifan, (6'-4", 290, Jr.) DT is a physical freak in the weight room, played soccer in Africa before coming to America, is also being looked at by NFL scouts this preseason. Logan Wilson (6'2", 250, Jr.) MLB that is being looked at by NFL scouts. Behind these guys are a lot of depth and experience.

Interesting note on Carl Granderson, I follow WSU recruiting as well as Wyoming (I graduated from Wyoming but lived in Washington State years ago, both of my daughters were born in Washington State so I followed the Cougs for a long time.) However my main team are the Pokes and I will be in the stands rooting for my Pokes with all my might. But back to Carl, he was a Wazzu recruit as well. Went on a recruiting trip to Pullman that last weekend but the Cougs didn't offer. He came out of HS at 6'-5" 185, so I guess the Cougs didn't want a project. Wyoming has a great training program and he went to a place where he flourished, and as they say the rest is history, and this weekend Carl will break the heart of the Cougs in Laramie.

I think that it will be a close game, but Wyoming lost nothing from the defense that was the No.1 turnover defense in America last year. I know that New Mexico St. isn't a great team but when you hold an FBS team to -9 yards rushing for the whole game that is impressive. The lone New Mexico St. score came with about a minute left in the game with our 3rd team defense in.

The Wyoming offense will be the question in my mind. But the Pokes will be playing at home at 7,220 feet and I am sure we won't be held out of the end zone. The Wyoming defense will be one of the best that Wazzu faces this year in all honesty, and there is no way that Wazzu scores 52 on the Pokes. I fully expect the Pokes to come up with several turnovers against the Cougs. I think that the game will be tight but the Pokes pull it out in the end as the Pokes have an excellent Kicker and Punter and Coach Bohl prides himself on playing field position with his special teams.
That #10 rank needs to be put in perspective.
Here's a few numbers that leap out at me--
Combined record of opponents: 73-93 (0.44%)
Average Total offense rank opponents: 72 (range = 30-120; median = 70)
Average points allowed: 17.5 (high = Oregon (49), low = 0 for a 1-11 FCS Gardner-Webb team)

Some other nuggets include a loss against SJST (2-11), a win against a hapless 1-11 D2 team, and close games in wins against some very poor to mediocre division opponents (e.g., UT St., Hawaii, CSU). Another standout stat is going 2-4 against teams with a .500 winning percentage (CSU, mediocre 7-6, and C. MI, 8-5). In a nutshell, any team with a pulse beat you, and both P5 teams beat you handily (-36 against U of O, and -21 against Iowa).

I don't point this out to ridicule your defense, but to temper your enthusiasm for their performance last year. For the exact same reasoning, I'm not touting WSU's #33 ranking for total offense as being anything to brag about because we essentially sucked against anybody with a legit defense.

Reactions: MikeFingLeach

hirta:

Friend you started the political rant by bringing up an atrocious incident that happened years ago, and I noticed when you quoted my response you omitted the part where I stated it was a tragic event. Secondly you also initiated the attack upon a long time Wyoming political figure who is widely respected in Wyoming. I know that you hold a considerably different political belief but you intolerantly attacked me for simply defending the Cheney family, and my response was actually very measured and that was unacceptable by you. I could have gone a lot worse, and my response was anything but worse since you attacked the people of Laramie with the Matthew Shepard tragic event and ripped into a well respected politician in Wyoming FIRST. I saw your apology, but don't attempt to cast me as being worse than you because I gave a measured, and yes it was a measured counter argument. Should I bring up the Green River murderer and try to label all Washingtonians with broad stroke? No. Because it has nothing to do with Washington State vs Wyoming football game!

Reactions: Brownpoke
That #10 rank needs to be put in perspective.
Here's a few numbers that leap out at me--
Combined record of opponents: 73-93 (0.44%)
Average Total offense rank opponents: 72 (range = 30-120; median = 70)
Average points allowed: 17.5 (high = Oregon (49), low = 0 for a 1-11 FCS Gardner-Webb team)

Some other nuggets include a loss against SJST (2-11), a win against a hapless 1-11 D2 team, and close games in wins against some very poor to mediocre division opponents (e.g., UT St., Hawaii, CSU). Another standout stat is going 2-4 against teams with a .500 winning percentage (CSU, mediocre 7-6, and C. MI, 8-5). In a nutshell, any team with a pulse beat you, and both P5 teams beat you handily (-36 against U of O, and -21 against Iowa).

I don't point this out to ridicule your defense, but to temper your enthusiasm for their performance last year. For the exact same reasoning, I'm not touting WSU's #33 ranking for total offense as being anything to brag about because we essentially sucked against anybody with a legit defense.

The SJSU loss was a shock and it was the week like what happened to Oregon and when their back-up came in and the Cougs won. Josh Allen was out of the SJSU game and I don't think that if he had been there that we would have lost, but lost we did to one of the worst teams in the FBS. There is no way to sugarcoat that loss.

Our defense has already played one game this year and it was an away game at NMSU. The only point of comparison we have at this early date is the game NMSU played against Minnesota last night in Minnesota.

Wyoming held NMSU to -9 yards rushing for the whole game, while Minn. held NMSU to 38 yards rushing for the game.

Wyoming held NMSU to 144 yards passing for the whole game while Minn. held NMSU to 233 yards passing for the game.

So for the whole game Wyoming held NMSU to a total of 135 yards offense while Minn. held NMSU to 271 total yards of offense.

I would say that our defense had the better defensive stats than a BIG10 team that was playing at home. The really only way that we can show you is on the field tomorrow at War Memorial Stadium in Laramie, and I firmly believe we will make believers out of you. Don't worry, no matter what happens tomorrow I will be back on this board to either eat crow or feed crow to someone.

Friend you started the political rant by bringing up an atrocious incident that happened years ago, and I noticed when you quoted my response you omitted the part where I stated it was a tragic event. Secondly you also initiated the attack upon a long time Wyoming political figure who is widely respected in Wyoming. I know that you hold a considerably different political belief but you intolerantly attacked me for simply defending the Cheney family, and my response was actually very measured and that was unacceptable by you. I could have gone a lot worse, and my response was anything but worse since you attacked the people of Laramie with the Matthew Shepard tragic event and ripped into a well respected politician in Wyoming FIRST. I saw your apology, but don't attempt to cast me as being worse than you because I gave a measured, and yes it was a measured counter argument. Should I bring up the Green River murderer and try to label all Washingtonians with broad stroke? No. Because it has nothing to do with Washington State vs Wyoming football game!

Allright, last post on this topic then I'm sticking to Football. I went and read more on the Shepard story:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...s-most-famous-gay-hate-murder-matthew-shepard

So I take back my reaction to that part of your post. You appear to have been correct about the drug deal angle, I was unaware of that twist. Still a horrible crime against a UW student in Laramie. Which is at least somewhat relevant, if totally off-topic and inflammatory. Which I said I was sorry for doing.

Regarding Cheney, I take nothing back. He is an evil man, and I think most Washingtonians and WSU fans would agree. If you disagree, fine, but don't come onto the WSU site and tell us how wonderful he is whether I brought him up or not. Which I said I was sorry for doing.

Now - your remarks about needle-infested, far-left Seattle, and the Seattle-area Green River killer, are inflammatory. However, Seattle is 300 miles from Pullman and WSU, so I'm not sure what your points were there. Now, if you want to use Ted Bundy to "poke" (pun intended ;)) at WSU, then that is just fine, because Ted Bundy was a Washington Husky!

If Wyoming wins tomorrow, I will start an eat crow thread on this board, and you all can come over and flame away and I will take it like a man. I would suggest the same for you and yours, but the Wyoming Rivals board is subscriber only. Snobs and Elitists, you Pokes are.

Now, peace to you and goodwill to all men and women. Except Dick Cheney.......:rolleyes:

For what it's worth Loyal, I've lived in Wyoming for the last 30 years and consider Cheney a traitor who traded American lives in Iraq for Haliburton's profits. For the life of me I can't understand why he hasn't been exposed. Enough politics. College football season has started.

The SJSU loss was a shock and it was the week like what happened to Oregon and when their back-up came in and the Cougs won. Josh Allen was out of the SJSU game and I don't think that if he had been there that we would have lost, but lost we did to one of the worst teams in the FBS. There is no way to sugarcoat that loss.

Our defense has already played one game this year and it was an away game at NMSU. The only point of comparison we have at this early date is the game NMSU played against Minnesota last night in Minnesota.

Wyoming held NMSU to -9 yards rushing for the whole game, while Minn. held NMSU to 38 yards rushing for the game.

Wyoming held NMSU to 144 yards passing for the whole game while Minn. held NMSU to 233 yards passing for the game.

So for the whole game Wyoming held NMSU to a total of 135 yards offense while Minn. held NMSU to 271 total yards of offense.

I would say that our defense had the better defensive stats than a BIG10 team that was playing at home. The really only way that we can show you is on the field tomorrow at War Memorial Stadium in Laramie, and I firmly believe we will make believers out of you. Don't worry, no matter what happens tomorrow I will be back on this board to either eat crow or feed crow to someone.
I'd like to think that a dominant defense could cover for your starting QB being out against SJSU, but I get what you're saying. That said, I wouldn't gauge your defense against us if you do end up winning, because Leach (as much as I like having him as the coach) has performed poorly in getting his team up to play on opening day...not exactly the litmus test we'd like it to be, given our past performance (unless we can come out like we did against Auburn several years ago).

For what it's worth Loyal, I've lived in Wyoming for the last 30 years and consider Cheney a traitor who traded American lives in Iraq for Haliburton's profits. For the life of me I can't understand why he hasn't been exposed. Enough politics. College football season has started.

You wouldn't want me to talk about Clinton's and Obama and about secret pallets of cash sent in the middle of the night to terrorist nations or how 20% of our uranium industry was sold to the Russians and it just so happened at the same time that millions and millions were paid into someone's foundation or how someone got $500,000 for a speaking fee to the Russians just about at the same time..you wouldn't want me to talk about these and being a traiter? I agree with you enough of the politics! Tomorrow football is what we should be talking about.

I'd like to think that a dominant defense could cover for your starting QB being out against SJSU, but I get what you're saying. That said, I wouldn't gauge your defense against us if you do end up winning, because Leach (as much as I like having him as the coach) has performed poorly in getting his team up to play on opening day...not exactly the litmus test we'd like it to be, given our past performance (unless we can come out like we did against Auburn several years ago).

The first couple of games is a real crapshoot. After the first couple of games teams then typically settle down into a level of play, but until anything can happen and upsets will happen.

Rumor has it Josh Allen won’t be suiting up for this game either. Thank god you guys aren’t playing San Jose State!

I remember discussing this with a co-worker and stating "they're no way this could happen".

You wouldn't want me to talk about Clinton's and Obama and about secret pallets of cash sent in the middle of the night to terrorist nations or how 20% of our uranium industry was sold to the Russians and it just so happened at the same time that millions and millions were paid into someone's foundation or how someone got $500,000 for a speaking fee to the Russians just about at the same time..you wouldn't want me to talk about these and being a traiter? I agree with you enough of the politics! Tomorrow football is what we should be talking about.
\
No wonder you don't want to talk about politics. Hillary was Puty's worst nightmare.

Allright, last post on this topic then I'm sticking to Football. I went and read more on the Shepard story:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...s-most-famous-gay-hate-murder-matthew-shepard

So I take back my reaction to that part of your post. You appear to have been correct about the drug deal angle, I was unaware of that twist. Still a horrible crime against a UW student in Laramie. Which is at least somewhat relevant, if totally off-topic and inflammatory. Which I said I was sorry for doing.

Regarding Cheney, I take nothing back. He is an evil man, and I think most Washingtonians and WSU fans would agree. If you disagree, fine, but don't come onto the WSU site and tell us how wonderful he is whether I brought him up or not. Which I said I was sorry for doing.

Now - your remarks about needle-infested, far-left Seattle, and the Seattle-area Green River killer, are inflammatory. However, Seattle is 300 miles from Pullman and WSU, so I'm not sure what your points were there. Now, if you want to use Ted Bundy to "poke" (pun intended ;)) at WSU, then that is just fine, because Ted Bundy was a Washington Husky!

If Wyoming wins tomorrow, I will start an eat crow thread on this board, and you all can come over and flame away and I will take it like a man. I would suggest the same for you and yours, but the Wyoming Rivals board is subscriber only. Snobs and Elitists, you Pokes are.

Now, peace to you and goodwill to all men and women. Except Dick Cheney.......:rolleyes:
Robert Gates approves of this message.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT