ADVERTISEMENT

Cougs land their transfer PG

I remember when he transferred to dub it seemed like a good pickup for them. Then dub had higher profile (and $) transfers. Guess he got buried.

He’s looks like a good shooter/scorer. Doesn’t appear to be the best defender while at Lamar.

Last edited:
Reactions: kougkurt
I don't know if defense will be that much of a priority under Riley....maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised. But most of what he seems to be talking about is on the offensive side. In that way, he reminds me of another Big Sky hire, Ken Bone, but I'm hoping for more.

Glad Cougar

I don't know if defense will be that much of a priority under Riley....maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised. But most of what he seems to be talking about is on the offensive side. In that way, he reminds me of another Big Sky hire, Ken Bone, but I'm hoping for more.

Glad Cougar
I will wait to pass judgment until we get the 20-post analysis from our fellow poster.

Glad Cougar
Definitely hoping for more from Riley as well. Riley isn't solely prioritizing "Seattle" so there's at least that. Smith wasn't thought of as a "defensive minded" coach at previous stops. He just seemed to figure out very quickly the importance on that end in the Pac 12.

Guessing, but I doubt Calmese was probably plan b or c portal PG. There were rumors they had a PG commit, but he then ended up at OK State. We simply need someone and at least he passes the eye test on shooting and scoring. The other board has 2 post saying he's generously a defensive liability.

I would like it if we found a PG to go along with Calmese (CG) unless maybe they believe they already have it in either Gerrits or perhaps I Watts? Running out of spots though.

Gerrit looks more like a true SG to me. It good to see we have another ball handler. Calmese seems capable enough (size and athleticly) to be a decent defender. Probably more a mentality.

i agree this kid is a SG not a PG so he must be happy enough with Watts and Gerrits along with probably the only PG Wilson.

Isiah Watts, Le Juan Watts, Gerrits, Calmese, Tomas, Vaver, as a 1,2,3, spots, PG, SG, Wing, guard Corp, seems pretty solid, deep of a backcourt, perimeter, guard corp.

Who is PG Wilson?

Price, Okafor, and even Erikstrup, is a ok front court, but need either Spencer Mahoney to come back, and or get 1 more solid, ok, front court Big, player, recruit, whether HS, Transfer, but prefer either a JC transfer, or a sophomore transfer, that will be a Junior, this coming next season at WSU.

Would be nice to get Wells back. If get Wells back, and a semi true, semi pure PG, and 1 more Big, this team would probably be scary good in WCC, after Jelling, developing chemistry, etc.

That would make a awesome 14 player roster, overall.

I think Gerrits, Calmese, and Wilson are all combo guards. For that matter, when he was recruited, Rice was listed as a combo guard. Wilson was rated about the same as Rice coming out of high school. During last season, after a practice Coach Smith compared Gerrits to Taylor Rochestie during an interview.

The way that WSU will play this season, I don't think they need a traditional point guard. Heck, Tony's teams didn't have a traditional point guard. Kyle Weaver played the point as much as Rochestie. Plus, Low could also bring the ball up the court.

Once he was invited to the NBA combine, the chances of Wells returning are darn near zero. He is going to be a pro.

The way that WSU will play this season, I don't think they need a traditional point guard. Heck, Tony's teams didn't have a traditional point guard. Kyle Weaver played the point as much as Rochestie. Plus, Low could also bring the ball up the court.
True PGs are a rare commodity these days. It usually boils down to the SG with the best handle and is a willing passer, at least some of the time. Who was our last true PG? Rochestie, maybe or Shamon Antrum or Donminic Ellison?

True PGs are a rare commodity these days. It usually boils down to the SG with the best handle and is a willing passer, at least some of the time. Who was our last true PG? Rochestie, maybe or Shamon Antrum or Donminic Ellison?
The last traditional point guard I think it is probably Ellision.

Rochestie, Thames, Moore, Flynn, etc., were point guards, but were not what we grew up watching as point guards.

Last edited:
I'm aging, so I could be wrong, but I remember Antrum as a SG in a PG body. Lefty, wasn't he?

Just looked at the roster. While I remember Antrum bringing the ball up a lot Ellison was there both of his years. I think Ellison was asked to leave just before the end of the season so maybe that's what sticks in my mind. You're right about him in a PG body. He was listed at 6'2" but was around 5'9".

Yup, Ellison at the point and Antrum was off the ball. Antrum could definitely take the point and I believe was the backup. Antrum was Eastman’s first recruit getting him over Maryland. I remember thinking it was a really good sign of things to come. Unfortunately he was probably his best recruit? Ellison getting run was really unfortunate.

Yup, Ellison at the point and Antrum was off the ball. Antrum could definitely take the point and I believe was the backup. Antrum was Eastman’s first recruit getting him over Maryland. I remember thinking it was a really good sign of things to come. Unfortunately he was probably his best recruit? Ellison getting run was really unfortunate.
Yeah, losing Ellison was huge. He was really good. I remember thinking the same thing regarding Eastman's recruiting.

Antrum was a very good player. He averaged 13.1 points, 3.5 rebounds, and 2.8 assists in his two years in Pullman. Unfortunately, there were not enough players that were on Antrum's level.

Carlos Daniel was a freshman during Eastman's first season, so I don't know if Sampson or Eastman get credit for the recruit (probably Sampson). But after that, Antrum was arguably Eastman's best recruit. Chris Crosby and Rodrigo de la Fuente ended up being very good (de la Fuente went pro in Spain after one year, I think), but Kevin just couldn't bring in the players he needed to be successful. Once Sampson's recruits moved on, the program dropped to the bottom.

Glad Cougar

I've always thought Eastman had two striking deficits when it came to recruiting. First, and probably most importantly, he had the personality of a wet mop. Secondly, he came from the east coast and the assistants he brought with him were all from the east coast. None of them knew squat about the west coast. They had no contacts or inroads. By the time they figured it out it was too late.

Glad Cougar
I hope we dont revert to doing nothing but launching 3 pointers

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT