ADVERTISEMENT

Credit to the “SEC-like” schedule

COCoug

Hall Of Fame
Jan 23, 2004
I think we have to give credit to Moos and/or Leach, and maybe some luck for the schedule this year. This is the classic old-school SEC or Nebraska-type schedule, which started with cupcakes and mid-majors, and NEVER PLAYED A NON-CONFERENCE GAME ON THE ROAD. This is in contrast to the typical PAC10/12 schedule with the early season “body bag” game, or playing hungry mid-majors on the road, usually 2 or 3 time-zones away. What is the world was UCLA doing in Memphis?

Even though I would be the first to mock a schedule like this in the past, it is a well-tested recipe for success. It is obvious the week-to-week improvement, and the growing confidence by both the young players and veterans. Here we are at the end of September, soon to be ranked in the top 15, a win away from bowl eligible, relatively healthy and really starting to jell as a team. Who knows what the rest of the season will bring, but at this moment we are in a really, really good spot. I can think of several Cougar teams over the past 30 years that might have accomplished so much more if they had started with a schedule like this.

Reactions: ATACFD and PatBaum
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT