ADVERTISEMENT

Critique Theo’s Picks

SDCoug

Hall Of Fame
Dec 22, 2002
Hamilton, MT
While I see a 9-3 season as well, I think we beat either Cal or Utah. The two teams that seem like sleepers, as far as that 3rd loss goes, are Houston and ASU.

Theo has us at 9-3 for the season. Losses to Utah, Cal, and udump.

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2019/aug/25/take-a-guess-how-we-think-washington-state-will-fa/

Seems like, in the past, he’s always underestimated our season results. Not sure if I should feel good or horrified by his predictions this year. For some reason I feel better about our qb situation, though. He would have had us much lower if he thought that position wasn’t in good hands.

9-3 is pretty Accurate with WSU likely to win bowl game, to go 10-3, finish ranked 13th to 19th.

Semi Probable Loss Possibilities/Semi Probabilities:

1. Oregon, 2. Cal, 3. Utah, 4. UW, 5. ASU, 6. Houston

WSU can beat all, any of those teams.WSU can lose to any of those teams. But likely WSU loses 3 out of those 6 games to any combination of 3 of those 6 games.

So I think WSU goes 3-3 against those 6 teams.

I think the 2 of the 3 losses will come against Oregon, Cal, and the 3rd Loss vs Utah or UW.

I dont think WSU loses to Houston, ASU.

There are no games on the schedule I think WSU will lose. This is 12-0, headed to the conference title game and the Rose Bowl.
Honest opinion, Biggs? Or are there any games on the schedule where you see us as relatively heavy (60-40) underdog?

Reactions: GrayOnGray
While I see a 9-3 season as well, I think we beat either Cal or Utah. The two teams that seem like sleepers, as far as that 3rd loss goes, are Houston and ASU.
Agree with Cal and Utah. Think he's got UW and Oregon flipped. Law of averages HAS to kick in some time.

From what I've read Houston's defense isn't much. Bye's for both teams before the Cal and ASU games, but we are the traveling team in both, and I think it helps us more.

Reactions: 79COUG
Agree with Cal and Utah. Think he's got UW and Oregon flipped. Law of averages HAS to kick in some time.

From what I've read Houston's defense isn't much. Bye's for both teams before the Cal and ASU games, but we are the traveling team in both, and I think it helps us more.
Yea but we sometimes lay a serious egg in the desert.

I don't think ASU's qb situation or Houston's defense will beat us. Agree on Cal or Utah. We have somewhat had Utah's number and again I don't know whether Tyler Huntley's arm can beat us. Cal/Wilcox has definitely been a tough matchup for us though.

Reactions: 79COUG
Honest opinion, Biggs? Or are there any games on the schedule where you see us as relatively heavy (60-40) underdog?

I don't see anyone in non conference winning or being the favorite.

I don't think CK has had the time to get things moving at UCLA.

Utah is probably a tough out. I don't think they have the fire power on offense to keep up.

ASU has a true frosh at QB. Is he gonna be able to lead ASU to 6 touch downs? Doubtful.

CU has a new coach and WSU smoked them last year. What did they do to catch up and now win the game this year? Nothing.

Oregon is a fraud. Their QB has done nothing. Their team is the new UCLA... Where high school all americans go to die.

I don't think Cal has the defense to slow down WSU as much this year and I don't think they have the fire power on offense to keep up.

I don't think Stanford has the DBs it needs to stop WSU's receivers this year. This may be the most WSU has put on them in a while. Make it 4 in a row.

Oregon State sucks. Enough said.

uw. This is the year they win.

Let's be honest. Look at this guys picks. Is Utah really gonna hold WSU to 24 points? The best OL they've had. Top 10 WRs group in the nation. Max Borghi running and catching the ball. 24 points? GTFO.

Cal holding WSU to 14??? Really? Ain't happening.

You tell me which teams have as much coming back and can go touchdown for touchdown with WSU???

The defense may have some work to do on the back end... The front end is gonna cause problems. The middle of the defense has a big body now. The pass rush has some longer bodies. That'll help.

Cougars are gonna sharpen their claws and be ready to eat when the Apple Cup arrives.

I don't see anyone in non conference winning or being the favorite.

I don't think CK has had the time to get things moving at UCLA.

Utah is probably a tough out. I don't think they have the fire power on offense to keep up.

ASU has a true frosh at QB. Is he gonna be able to lead ASU to 6 touch downs? Doubtful.

CU has a new coach and WSU smoked them last year. What did they do to catch up and now win the game this year? Nothing.

Oregon is a fraud. Their QB has done nothing. Their team is the new UCLA... Where high school all americans go to die.

I don't think Cal has the defense to slow down WSU as much this year and I don't think they have the fire power on offense to keep up.

I don't think Stanford has the DBs it needs to stop WSU's receivers this year. This may be the most WSU has put on them in a while. Make it 4 in a row.

Oregon State sucks. Enough said.

uw. This is the year they win.

Let's be honest. Look at this guys picks. Is Utah really gonna hold WSU to 24 points? The best OL they've had. Top 10 WRs group in the nation. Max Borghi running and catching the ball. 24 points? GTFO.

Cal holding WSU to 14??? Really? Ain't happening.

You tell me which teams have as much coming back and can go touchdown for touchdown with WSU???

The defense may have some work to do on the back end... The front end is gonna cause problems. The middle of the defense has a big body now. The pass rush has some longer bodies. That'll help.

Cougars are gonna sharpen their claws and be ready to eat when the Apple Cup arrives.
Thanks for the analysis. Well thought out.
Awwww...but your last paragraph, I hope to hell you're right.

Reactions: TZCoug84
I could easily see how Bigg's could be right that WSU could EASILY go 12-0, beat everybody.

I dont see a single team where I would say that "(Insert Team), should win vs WSU"

But that said, I see Oregon, Cal, Utah, UW, as Possible Losses, with WSU possibly, semi probably losing 2,3 out of those.

So because of that I think 9-3(10-3(Bowl), 10-2(11-2(Bowl)

Atho 12-0 is theoretically possible, 1, or 2, or 3(At Probable Most) of Oregon, Cal, Utah, UW, can, could, would, should, probably will beat WSU.

True. And the Herm Experiment is looking better than I expected.
Perhaps. He also inherited a senior QB who avoided turnovers, a first round WR, and a very good running back. I remember many years ago that Todd Graham started out outstanding and went down hill the more years he was on the job.

Kind of surprised everyone is marking Houston down as a sure win. Houston is picked to possibly win their division in the AAC, which is not a bad conference. Their offense is explosive and they have the athletes on defense to be better. Highly doubt Vegas will favor WSU by more than a one score game in that one, and anything can happen in a one score game.

As for the overall season record, this is very tough schedule. And back to the subject of one score games , personally can see at least 7 on the schedule Houston, UCLA, Utah, ASU, Oregon ,Stanford, and Cal. This could be a year where the team could easily play well but gets some bad breaks and has to fight hard to get to 6 or 7 wins.

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2019/aug/25/take-a-guess-how-we-think-washington-state-will-fa/

Seems like, in the past, he’s always underestimated our season results. Not sure if I should feel good or horrified by his predictions this year. For some reason I feel better about our qb situation, though. He would have had us much lower if he thought that position wasn’t in good hands.
I’m not prepared to argue too strongly with any of his assumptions, but here’s my gut feelings on this season:

Houston will be high scoring in the first half. But Claeys will make better adjustments.

Utah is a physical team, a tough place to play, and they’ll be looking for payback after we stole a winnable game from them last year. They’ll be strong up front on D, and will grind it out on O. Gordon and McDougle are the key points in this game, if they are as advertised we’ll be ok.

Oregon - honestly don’t see any reason to believe they’ll beat us this year...and that’s the problem. Herbert has never looked like a draft pick against us - let alone a first rounder - and this is his last chance. I can’t point to any area where I really think they have a clear edge, but this feels like one of those “lose a game you’ve got no business losing” situations

Cal may be the best D we see this year, but their O still looks awful. I don’t think we lose to both them and Utah, and I don’t think we lose two in a row.

Oregon state is going to surprise someone. They’re going to be capable of scoring.

UW is as vulnerable as they’ve been in 6 years. But until we turn the tables, they’re the favorite.

All of the other games I feel fairly comfortable about.

Perhaps. He also inherited a senior QB who avoided turnovers, a first round WR, and a very good running back. I remember many years ago that Todd Graham started out outstanding and went down hill the more years he was on the job.

ASU has a history of coaches starting out fast and falling off as they get more of their players in the program. I want to say Koetter, Erickson, and Graham have all followed this pattern. Herm might be next but I don't see the team taking a massive step back.

ASU has a history of coaches starting out fast and falling off as they get more of their players in the program. I want to say Koetter, Erickson, and Graham have all followed this pattern. Herm might be next but I don't see the team taking a massive step back.
Grahams last year ASU was 7-6 overall and 6-3 in conference. Last season, Edwards first year, they were 7-6 and 5-4. They have a very experienced offense, as they have 8 seniors, two juniors and the true freshman QB. On defense, it is the opposite. They have six sophomores, three seniors/grad student and two juniors.

I think they win 5 to 7 games.

Kind of surprised everyone is marking Houston down as a sure win. Houston is picked to possibly win their division in the AAC, which is not a bad conference. Their offense is explosive and they have the athletes on defense to be better. Highly doubt Vegas will favor WSU by more than a one score game in that one, and anything can happen in a one score game.

As for the overall season record, this is very tough schedule. And back to the subject of one score games , personally can see at least 7 on the schedule Houston, UCLA, Utah, ASU, Oregon ,Stanford, and Cal. This could be a year where the team could easily play well but gets some bad breaks and has to fight hard to get to 6 or 7 wins.

I don't think it's a tough schedule at all. I don't see any top 10 teams on the schedule. Maybe some top 25 caliber teams. I think it is a very blue collar, middle class schedule. Not much for awful but not much for outstanding either.

If these are one score games the offense isn't nearly as good as it should be or the defense is awful. WSU should not be held under 35 points on offense per game this year. Maybe higher. Show me all the bruising defenses? Show me all the shut down DBs??? Maybe one or two?? Not a schedule full of them.

The toughest thing about WSU's schedule is consistency. Can this group of kids bring their best effort every week? Can they consistently make sound decisions and avoid unforced errors?

This may be Leach's best team he's had in Pullman. And there are a lotttt of guys coming back next year.

Welcome to the glory days of WSU football.

I don't think it's a tough schedule at all. I don't see any top 10 teams on the schedule. Maybe some top 25 caliber teams. I think it is a very blue collar, middle class schedule. Not much for awful but not much for outstanding either.

If these are one score games the offense isn't nearly as good as it should be or the defense is awful. WSU should not be held under 35 points on offense per game this year. Maybe higher. Show me all the bruising defenses? Show me all the shut down DBs??? Maybe one or two?? Not a schedule full of them.

The toughest thing about WSU's schedule is consistency. Can this group of kids bring their best effort every week? Can they consistently make sound decisions and avoid unforced errors?

This may be Leach's best team he's had in Pullman. And there are a lotttt of guys coming back next year.

Two teams on our schedule that do have exceptional Defenses (based on last year and the hype surrounding them this year) and we play both teams on the road in Utah and Cal. The flip side of that is neither of them have an Offense worth writing about. If there is any team to give us a scare, it would be those two. Overall, I agree with your assessment of this team and our schedule this year.

Reactions: BiggsCoug
lol knew this thread was gonna be entertaining when I clicked on it.

WSU is going to go 12-0 because you don't see any teams that "should" beat the Cougs. I mean... God damn I wish this was published somewhere cause it would be a fkn meme.

You've never even seen your JuCo transfer QB... who hasn't played in 3 years... play a snap against D1 talent and 12-0 is a thought that entered 2 of your minds. You graduated a 1st round left tackle, your no. 1 running back... and 12-0 entered actually entered 2 of your minds.

I mean... you've seen a 5th year grad transfer come in (and play right away after transferring) exactly once and perform well and 12-0 enters 2 of your minds.

I mean do you guys write this shit just to keep yourselves entertained? Or do you actually believe it?

Last edited:

WSU is going to go 12-0 because you don't see any teams that "should" beat the Cougs. I mean... God damn I wish this was published somewhere cause it would be a fkn meme.

You've never even seen your JuCo transfer QB... who hasn't played in 3 years... play a snap against D1 talent and 12-0 is a thought that entered 2 of your minds. You graduated a 1st round left tackle, your no. 1 running back... and 12-0 entered actually entered 2 of your minds.

I mean... you've seen a 5th year grad transfer come in (and play right away after transferring) exactly once and perform well and 12-0 enters 2 of your minds.

I mean do you guys write this shit just to keep yourselves entertained? Or do you actually believe it?

Yup we WRITE it

Reactions: Fab5Coug

As we get closer to the season, I get very nervous because this just has the feel of a letdown year for me. Of course, that could be three decades of Coug football conditioning me to expect a down year. I will not be surprised at all if we are 8-4 at the end of the season much like Leach's 2009 season at Tech that followed their 11-2 season in 2008. I don't expect an Adam James type deal that will derail everything though. Ironically, terrifyingly, or however you want to put it, Leach's Texas Tech squad lost to Houston by one point on the road in 2009. Again.....nervous for this year.

What's truly amazing is that Leach has gotten us to the point where discussion of an 8-4 finish feels like a letdown. What's even more amazing is that the 12-0 talk above isn't ludicrous. The Cougs can definitely run the table if we catch a few breaks along the way and our QB situation pans out positively. The three week stretch with Houston, UCLA and Utah will set the tone for the rest of the season and we'll know at the finish of that stretch what this team is about. If we are 5-0 at that point, the dreams of 12-0 are real. At 4-1 with a loss to Utah, it means that we can still hope for 9-3 and another visit to San Antonio. If we lose to either UCLA or Houston, the goal drops to just making a bowl game. Lose to both of them and Utah.........and well, you can't expect to be great every year. Leach has gotten this team to the point where I don't see this happening.

I like the fact that Theo has jumped on the bandwagon enough to call out 9-3 for us. I don't see us losing to Cal though. Oregon, Stanford, ASU or Houston are more likely candidates to hand us that third loss.

Reactions: PINGDUDE4

How do have time to post here with your constant pleasuring of yourself to your Jacob Eason poster?

1-2 people on this board are predicting 12-0? I've only seen 1 predict such, but regardless, why does that matter to you so much to go on such a rant? Every team, in any sport across the world has a group of homer fans that make bold and optimistic predictions every year. So freaking what, go visit every single team's, home/fan sports site/forum and call every single overly optimistic fan out for their bold and overly optimistic predictions then! A good place to start would be at Dawgman.

Reactions: Fab5Coug
1-2 people on this board are predicting 12-0? I've only seen 1 predict such, but regardless, why does that matter to you so much to go on such a rant? Every team, in any sport across the world has a group of homer fans that make bold and optimistic predictions every year. So freaking what, go visit every single team's, home/fan sports site/forum and call every single overly optimistic fan out for their bold and overly optimistic predictions then! A good place to start would be at Dawgman.

That would be me!!!

12-0.

Really agree with this. For a lot of reasons this has a 2009 Tech season feel to it. Breaking in a new QB coming after a break out year for the program, and a schedule where the most difficult games are on the road.

The real irony is I really think that Leach / Tech would have won the conference at least couple of times after 2009 they had all of the momentum. Tuberville came in and screwed it all up. I am saying that as a UT fan and that perspective and I doubt Tech fans would disagree.

Really agree with this. For a lot of reasons this has a 2009 Tech season feel to it. Breaking in a new QB coming after a break out year for the program, and a schedule where the most difficult games are on the road.

The real irony is I really think that Leach / Tech would have won the conference at least couple of times after 2009 they had all of the momentum. Tuberville came in and screwed it all up. I am saying that as a UT fan and that perspective and I doubt Tech fans would disagree.

Leach was probably just starting to gain momentum in the state. Beating UT was big for them.

If he were still there he probably would've worked TT into at least the top 5 every year of the state's best WR and QB talent. He may not have landed them but they probably would at least show up on campus to meet and greet.

There are no games on the schedule I think WSU will lose. This is 12-0, headed to the conference title game and the Rose Bowl.
Seems like everything came together last year, with the exception of the blizzard, and PorterGustinGate. Would be remarkable if the same happened this year. A lot riding on AG for something equal to or better than last year, but you look at the talent around him and he just needs to get guys the ball to make plays. There’s going to be open space everywhere with the number of weapons he has. I think the defense will actually be better, and after they get some kinks ironed out in the secondary, they could be downright dominant. This team could be scary good if AG is up to the task as Minshew was last year.

Seems like everything came together last year, with the exception of the blizzard, and PorterGustinGate. Would be remarkable if the same happened this year. A lot riding on AG for something equal to or better than last year, but you look at the talent around him and he just needs to get guys the ball to make plays. There’s going to be open space everywhere with the number of weapons he has. I think the defense will actually be better, and after they get some kinks ironed out in the secondary, they could be downright dominant. This team could be scary good if AG is up to the task as Minshew was last year.

AG is a point guard. If he can distribute the ball effectively then it's on the kids catching and running to make the plays. If he can tuck it and run for a few easy yards here and there it makes his job easier.

The defense is gonna be interesting. The better you are up front can take some pressure off the middle and back end. A big body in the middle of the DL could anchor the entire scheme.

I mean... you've seen a 5th year grad transfer come in (and
AG is a point guard. If he can distribute the ball effectively then it's on the kids catching and running to make the plays. If he can tuck it and run for a few easy yards here and there it makes his job easier.

The defense is gonna be interesting. The better you are up front can take some pressure off the middle and back end. A big body in the middle of the DL could anchor the entire scheme.
this is what I see. Clayes scheme with stout guys/depth in the middle and Namdi, Willie coming off the edge to harass the QB + solid experienced backers and long DBs...oh by the way now you’re down 3 scores and have to become one dimensional- good luck!

The test is Houston. won’t see a more dynamic player all year than King...shut him down bodes really well for how great this season could be.

Like Biggs, I don't see this many close games.

The 9 win forecast is as reasonable as any other forecast this time of the year, and his logic is also reasonable.

Like Flat, I don't see us losing to Cal. I do expect to lose to somebody else for whom a win is forecast. Probably a league game.

And I think Utah is the toughest game for us on the schedule, not UW. Though I'd put UW second, even with a UW team that is probably no better than last year, and quite possibly worse. We will have a similar record to Utah when we play. We will have a better record than UW when we play. And we will rightfully be slight underdogs in both. The thing that gives me more hope than I would normally have, given this year's situation, is Leach's ability to win on the road. That will be important in these two games.

I'm the 8-4 wagon for this year. The toughest games are on the road, I'd love to split Houston, Oregon, UW, Utah, 3-1 in those 4 and I'm pumped, 4-0 I may need chemicals to bring me down.

Of those 4 I'm most confident in Utah and Houston, with Oregon slightly behind those. As for the AC, I can't pick us in that until I see it happen at this point.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT