ADVERTISEMENT

Dickert extension

I also won't donate to a NIL collective, as I have similar views to Loyal.

I also have stated I won't donate until Schulz and Chun are gone. Haven't liked their vision for the university/AD from early on, and frankly between them and the changing college athletics landscape, it's been very easy to find other things to devote my time, money, and energy to. At one point, considered getting season tickets immediately after graduating and now if my schedule allows to watch, I will.

If that makes me a t-shirt fan now, so be it, I guess.

More than fair.

Reactions: CougSinceBirth

I also have stated I won't donate until Schulz and Chun are gone. Haven't liked their vision for the university/AD from early on, and frankly between them and the changing college athletics landscape, it's been very easy to find other things to devote my time, money, and energy to. At one point, considered getting season tickets immediately after graduating and now if my schedule allows to watch, I will.

Just out of curiosity, if you put on a positive side of a ledger and negative side of the ledger, what would you put on each side and what is an overriding factor.

An acquaintance of mine...met him through a very good friend of mine....is a pretty big Husky donor...or at least I think he-- is dropping a 1/4 mil without a blink of the eye. (btw he was there the night Rick Neuheisel and Clete were there that got Rick in trouble for being in the betting pool) and he told me he is done donating because of the portal and NIL. I think many people feel that way.

They need to get a handle on both....or I think the average fan will find other things to do.

I wrote a check for $10M last night. Make you happy? Great job for donating, keep it up sport!
I think it was Dick Bennett that said something like "kids keep telling me that they can shoot the 3 ball, but the important thing is whether or not you can make it". Along those lines.......ANYONE can write a check for $10 million. The more important thing is whether the check can actually be cashed or will it bounce higher than a James Donaldson dribble?

• Haha
Reactions: PeteTheChop
Well, seeing as I lived in f’ing Texas for 3 years and work weekends… it was the Alamo Bowl.

When was the last time someone told you to step out from behind your keyboard and show up?

We can meet any time stupidgibbons. You name it. I will make time in my day for you. You are special.
I don't know about any other games, but will verify that Biggs was inside the Alamo Bowl.

CSB,

Is there anything WSU as an institution, athletic department and football program could do to change your mind? Saw a story a few weeks back — might have been at SI.com or a similar site — where a prominent football coach said schools who fall way behind in NIL will have trouble keeping up with the middle of the pack teams (much less the big spenders).

Will it a take couple of 4-8 or even 3-9 seasons for some fans to overcome their reluctance to donate to NIL collective slush funds (or whatever the proper name is these days)?

I think it was Dick Bennett that said something like "kids keep telling me that they can shoot the 3 ball, but the important thing is whether or not you can make it". Along those lines.......ANYONE can write a check for $10 million. The more important thing is whether the check can actually be cashed or will it bounce higher than a James Donaldson dribble?
It wasnt too many years ago and I was messaging back and forth with James Donaldson. Of all things, discussing politics and his running for Mayor.

His ball handling was interesting that's for sure.

To this day... his basketball success was amazing

Well, seeing as I lived in f’ing Texas for 3 years and work weekends… it was the Alamo Bowl.

When was the last time someone told you to step out from behind your keyboard and show up?

We can meet any time stupidgibbons. You name it. I will make time in my day for you. You are special.
Internet tough guy personified.

Reactions: etowncoug
CSB,

Is there anything WSU as an institution, athletic department and football program could do to change your mind? Saw a story a few weeks back — might have been at SI.com or a similar site — where a prominent football coach said schools who fall way behind in NIL will have trouble keeping up with the middle of the pack teams (much less the big spenders).

Will it a take couple of 4-8 or even 3-9 seasons for some fans to overcome their reluctance to donate to NIL collective slush funds (or whatever the proper name is these days)?
Other than what I mentioned in my initial statements, likely no. The biggest thing for me is the loss of connection with the university -- and with that -- my investment level across the board is more or less gone. Example, it feels like this university admin has really put the idea and charm of learning and living in Pullman on the back-burner, where growth is focused toward branch campuses (branch campuses do hold some value, and I understand why the med school is in Spokane) and although I recognize trying to create reach, it feels hollow.

Athletics-wise, I've been offered tickets a few times the past couple of years, and frankly the idea of making the trip doesn't entice me like it did previously. The collegiate athletic atmosphere has shifted greatly, and although some good has come out of it, it's been a driver for me to become more of a casual observer. Some of that isn't WSU's fault.

If people can only donate to one option, which one are they donating to: university fund, CAF, NIL? It's a question WSU as an entity needs to answer, and quick...because if 4-8 and 3-9 do happen, it's a going to be tough.

Just out of curiosity, if you put on a positive side of a ledger and negative side of the ledger, what would you put on each side and what is an overriding factor.

An acquaintance of mine...met him through a very good friend of mine....is a pretty big Husky donor...or at least I think he-- is dropping a 1/4 mil without a blink of the eye. (btw he was there the night Rick Neuheisel and Clete were there that got Rick in trouble for being in the betting pool) and he told me he is done donating because of the portal and NIL. I think many people feel that way.

They need to get a handle on both....or I think the average fan will find other things to do.
For NIL? Nothing will change my mind there. University/CAF/AD wise? Changes in leadership and new blood bringing back connection I feel is missing from WSU. It wouldn't be an instant turnaround from me, but that would be step 1.

Agree on your final point - I think that applies to even the above-average fans, too. It's 2023, there's a lot of other things to do now.

CY2axHbUoAAlJql

Ever seen the winner of an argument, or anyone with an IQ above 90, going to the "I'll fight you over BS on this message board" well? Think we haven't had one of these since the COVID / lockdown / summer of hell and election 2020 pissing matches.
Wouldn't be that hard to start another. Thinking back, there's always been one unwinnable pissing match or another. Brink/Swogger, Brink/Rogers, Wulff/Sumlin, fire Wulff/don't, expand the conference/don't, Tuel/Halliday, Obama/whatever, Trump/whatever, COVID is/isn't the new plague, vax/don't, fire Rolo/don't, expand the conference/don't....etc.

Time and place stupidgibbons. I will be in town next week. I can meet you for lunch.
CougEd aka Jerry Springer...Welcome to the show everyone...we going talking about who slept with whose companion virtually. Our first story is about two Coug fans who met of all places on a message board about WSU football....

I am conflicted about this battle royale...the Missing Link meets Eddie Haskell. As someone who knows internet pussys (once his real name was put out there he has never been heard from since as Yaki Coug) , and was doxed by him for years (he went as far as putting the name of my 14 year old on this board) I do have a tough time with someone who is open and puts his real name on here being called an internet pussy. Being doxed and having family brought into it is a bit scary or I would have long used my real name.

But my problem with the board if I am honest since GBC left is that people act like it is twitter and say things they would never say to people personally.

It is interesting we struggle getting true life long fans who bleed Cougar football and we will eat one another because they disagree on various football related issues.

For NIL? Nothing will change my mind there. University/CAF/AD wise? Changes in leadership and new blood bringing back connection I feel is missing from WSU. It wouldn't be an instant turnaround from me, but that would be step 1.

Agree on your final point - I think that applies to even the above-average fans, too. It's 2023, there's a lot of other things to do now.
I can't say that I've ever really felt that existed from the administration or athletic leadership. And I'm a 3x alum and 20+ year season ticket holder/donor.

CY2axHbUoAAlJql

Ever seen the winner of an argument, or anyone with an IQ above 90, going to the "I'll fight you over BS on this message board" well? Think we haven't had one of these since the COVID / lockdown / summer of hell and election 2020 pissing matches.

Don’t you mean Summer of Love.

CougEd aka Jerry Springer...Welcome to the show everyone...we going talking about who slept with whose companion virtually. Our first story is about two Coug fans who met of all places on a message board about WSU football....

I am conflicted about this battle royale...the Missing Link meets Eddie Haskell. As someone who knows internet pussys (once his real name was put out there he has never been heard from since as Yaki Coug) , and was doxed by him for years (he went as far as putting the name of my 14 year old on this board) I do have a tough time with someone who is open and puts his real name on here being called an internet pussy. Being doxed and having family brought into it is a bit scary or I would have long used my real name.

But my problem with the board if I am honest since GBC left is that people act like it is twitter and say things they would never say to people personally.

It is interesting we struggle getting true life long fans who bleed Cougar football and we will eat one another because they disagree on various football related issues.
You'd think the internal soul level hatred we as Coug fans have for fuw would be strong enough for us to put aside the soap opera drama.

But no...

What is their vision?

So what we’ve learned from this thread is anyone who wants a piece of Biggs to prove he’s not a keyboard warrior needs to show up at the Alamo?

Also, we’re super concerned about who’s donating and how much to the NIL while we also need finance a coach to replace our current coach who has had back to back winning seasons. We’re not even getting to the stadium seats we need to add even though our fan base is dwindling from Coug alum piling up at the Alamo on Biggs’ doorstep. Do I have all that right?

So what we’ve learned from this thread is anyone who wants a piece of Biggs to prove he’s not a keyboard warrior needs to show up at the Alamo?

Also, we’re super concerned about who’s donating and how much to the NIL while we also need finance a coach to replace our current coach who has had back to back winning seasons. We’re not even getting to the stadium seats we need to add even though our fan base is dwindling from Coug alum piling up at the Alamo on Biggs’ doorstep. Do I have all that right?

Dont shit all over someone for donating. Absolutely ridiculous.

And yes, I will confront you in person for what you have said here. To prove Im not a keyboard warrior I will go so far as to show up on your doorstep.

Edit to add: Walk away. Click ignore on my profile. Stop digging on everything I write and let it go. This is past the point of just talking shit on the internet. I will confront you in person if the day comes.

Last edited:
Dont shit all over someone for donating. Absolutely ridiculous.

And yes, I will confront you in person for what you have said here. To prove Im not a keyboard warrior I will go so far as to show up on your doorstep.

Edit to add: Walk away. Click ignore on my profile. Stop digging on everything I write and let it go. This is past the point of just talking shit on the internet. I will confront you in person if the day comes.
Why would I shit on someone for donating when I donate myself?

I’m shitting on you for your nonsensical position on Dickert…the stadium expansion stuff is an easy cherry pick to add.

These are of course views one would take who would travel past their school for a fist fight with someone on a chat board and not travel to their school to attend a game.

Reactions: Wazzubrooz
Why would I shit on someone for donating when I donate myself?

I’m shitting on you for your nonsensical position on Dickert…the stadium expansion stuff is an easy cherry pick to add.

These are of course views one would take who would travel past their school for a fist fight with someone on a chat board and not travel to their school to attend a game.

I said what I said. Believe me or don’t. You aren’t talking your way out of being confronted in person. And now, Im motivated to show up to every game, every year, regardless of the financial hit. We are gonna meet.

I said what I said. Believe me or don’t. You aren’t talking your way out of being confronted in person. And now, Im motivated to show up to every game, every year, regardless of the financial hit. We are gonna meet.
Good. Glad you are showing up. I do too. We can go meet at Cougzone at halftime/3rd quarter with 15000 other people.

Good. Glad you are showing up. I do too. We can go meet at Cougzone at halftime/3rd quarter with 15000 other people.

We can. And what happens, happens. I dont give a shit if there are 15,000 people. If called out, like you are now. I will respond. You are going to be confronted in person.

Since so many others have given their viewpoint, I will also.

The current NIL/portal situation is not sustainable. We can't throw out some of it for legal reasons, and we would not even want to throw out all of it. But the way it stands it has simply become a greed machine from all directions, and it is probably already pulling money from other areas...in many cases, more valid areas...at every school with upper level football and basketball programs. Some of that is presently being hidden and some of it is visible. At private schools it is going to be well hidden. At public schools the transparency will vary.

Just for myself, I decided to bump my contribution significantly for the next few years...by a factor of 4. I expect to retire in 3 years, so maybe that will be the time limit. By then I either need to like what I see or I'm probably done. I'm all for giving WSU my help, such as it is, for a couple of years to see how it will all shake out. Because I don't think the current scenario is sustainable, I expect that some combination of the NCAA and the federal government will do something. Were it me running the NCAA, I'd first focus on the things that I clearly can legally do....the 70 scholarship limit that Biggs noted is one. The government could help in many ways, and the football "have not" state reps and senators would probably be happy to do so. The "have" states may be more willing to do something than you would expect, since the bigger the NIL situation gets, the less control the schools have of what is happening in their own programs. Things the government might do include putting the schools on the hook for NIL taxes not paid, which would also require IRS transparency for all NIL payments. Any NIL collective who thought they could circumvent the IRS deserves what they get, and the legal and financial exposure the schools would get from this is likely to mean they will not decide to simply look the other way. The government could also make D1 scholarships a taxable event, or threaten to do so. There are actually quite a few things that could be done if there was a will to do so, and the non-sustainable situation we see now may be enough to force some action. Time will tell.

For the next couple of years I'll stay with my new contribution level. Like so many people, I'll have to like where this goes in order to continue it, and I don't like what I see right now. And in my limited mind it doesn't matter a ton whether the money goes to an NIL collective or the athletic department; this is hitting them both. As things stand now, the added bump should probably go in the NIL direction, but you could make a reasonable case either way.

As for CJD's contract extension, it is what you do with any high profile employee who is doing a good job. I've been around long enough to have seen football, basketball and baseball coaches who did NOT do a good job. He is not in that group. What is his ultimate ceiling? I don't know. But if he were working for me, I'd keep him around to see what he could do with the advantages of some stability and tenure. The fact that the college football world is in an unprecedented turmoil right now gives him an even better opportunity to show what he can do. The flexible minds are the ones that will have success right now, and from my porthole view, the ship is doing well under the circumstances. We need improvement, but the last round of coaching changes appear to me to have ended up as a net positive. Now I'm waiting for spring ball, as well as possibly one or two more kids to join the group.

We can. And what happens, happens. I dont give a shit if there are 15,000 people. If called out, like you are now. I will respond. You are going to be confronted in person.
C'mon Biggs, chill out. Go back and read many of YOUR posts where you attack and ridicule people just because they don't share your point of view. And I know that you are a big guy and could probably pound just about anyone on this board, but physical threats are not needed. That's what got me banned years ago - although in that case the POS deserved to be pounded.

Good. Cuz 15,000 people leave the game at HT to drink beer and many don’t come back. FFS man it was a joke.

You’re making a big deal about showing up…I’m not changing any plans, Pullman is my second home. I’m there several times a year most football games, a couple basketball games when we don’t suck…going to a baseball series this spring too. If you want to meet up fine. You want to talk about something fine. You want to throw fists and hang out together at WC jail fine. You want to size me up and have a beer together instead fine. Im not changing any of my plans for you, so not sure what you are getting at.

Good. Cuz 15,000 people leave the game at HT to drink beer and many don’t come back. FFS man it was a joke.

You’re making a big deal about showing up…I’m not changing any plans, Pullman is my second home. I’m there several times a year most football games, a couple basketball games when we don’t suck…going to a baseball series this spring too. If you want to meet up fine. You want to talk about something fine. You want to throw fists and hang out together at WC jail fine. You want to size me up and have a beer together instead fine. Im not changing any of my plans for you, so not sure what you are getting at.

You have talked enough shit. You wanna call me out? Fine. Im going to show up. We will not be cordial. I don’t f’ing care any more.

Click ignore on my profile and walk away. You either believe me when I tell you who I am or you dont. Fine. We will find out.
Here’s the deal though. If you defeat me you have to add 15K seats to Tron Arena and fire your fight manager.

It isnt funny to me. Move on.
That’s a good idea. I’m 44 with two bad shoulders and not a very impressive fight resume. If you couldn’t take me your street fighting career would likely be in jeopardy.

That’s a good idea. I’m 44 with two bad shoulders and not a very impressive fight resume. If you couldn’t take me your street fighting career would likely be in jeopardy.

You are going to earn the words you wrote.

Other than what I mentioned in my initial statements, likely no. The biggest thing for me is the loss of connection with the university -- and with that -- my investment level across the board is more or less gone. Example, it feels like this university admin has really put the idea and charm of learning and living in Pullman on the back-burner, where growth is focused toward branch campuses (branch campuses do hold some value, and I understand why the med school is in Spokane) and although I recognize trying to create reach, it feels hollow.

Athletics-wise, I've been offered tickets a few times the past couple of years, and frankly the idea of making the trip doesn't entice me like it did previously. The collegiate athletic atmosphere has shifted greatly, and although some good has come out of it, it's been a driver for me to become more of a casual observer. Some of that isn't WSU's fault.

If people can only donate to one option, which one are they donating to: university fund, CAF, NIL? It's a question WSU as an entity needs to answer, and quick...because if 4-8 and 3-9 do happen, it's a going to be tough.
FWIW, you probably changed as much or more than the University did, meaning your likes and preferences.

Since so many others have given their viewpoint, I will also.

The current NIL/portal situation is not sustainable. We can't throw out some of it for legal reasons, and we would not even want to throw out all of it. But the way it stands it has simply become a greed machine from all directions, and it is probably already pulling money from other areas...in many cases, more valid areas...at every school with upper level football and basketball programs. Some of that is presently being hidden and some of it is visible. At private schools it is going to be well hidden. At public schools the transparency will vary.

Just for myself, I decided to bump my contribution significantly for the next few years...by a factor of 4. I expect to retire in 3 years, so maybe that will be the time limit. By then I either need to like what I see or I'm probably done. I'm all for giving WSU my help, such as it is, for a couple of years to see how it will all shake out. Because I don't think the current scenario is sustainable, I expect that some combination of the NCAA and the federal government will do something. Were it me running the NCAA, I'd first focus on the things that I clearly can legally do....the 70 scholarship limit that Biggs noted is one. The government could help in many ways, and the football "have not" state reps and senators would probably be happy to do so. The "have" states may be more willing to do something than you would expect, since the bigger the NIL situation gets, the less control the schools have of what is happening in their own programs. Things the government might do include putting the schools on the hook for NIL taxes not paid, which would also require IRS transparency for all NIL payments. Any NIL collective who thought they could circumvent the IRS deserves what they get, and the legal and financial exposure the schools would get from this is likely to mean they will not decide to simply look the other way. The government could also make D1 scholarships a taxable event, or threaten to do so. There are actually quite a few things that could be done if there was a will to do so, and the non-sustainable situation we see now may be enough to force some action. Time will tell.

For the next couple of years I'll stay with my new contribution level. Like so many people, I'll have to like where this goes in order to continue it, and I don't like what I see right now. And in my limited mind it doesn't matter a ton whether the money goes to an NIL collective or the athletic department; this is hitting them both. As things stand now, the added bump should probably go in the NIL direction, but you could make a reasonable case either way.

As for CJD's contract extension, it is what you do with any high profile employee who is doing a good job. I've been around long enough to have seen football, basketball and baseball coaches who did NOT do a good job. He is not in that group. What is his ultimate ceiling? I don't know. But if he were working for me, I'd keep him around to see what he could do with the advantages of some stability and tenure. The fact that the college football world is in an unprecedented turmoil right now gives him an even better opportunity to show what he can do. The flexible minds are the ones that will have success right now, and from my porthole view, the ship is doing well under the circumstances. We need improvement, but the last round of coaching changes appear to me to have ended up as a net positive. Now I'm waiting for spring ball, as well as possibly one or two more kids to join the group.

Excellent points.

Crazy, what in your opinion going forward is gonna be the more important area for fans, businesses and mega-boosters to step up their contributions in football and men's basketball: NIL collectives or facility enhancements?

I've seen some good cases for both.

Last edited:
And I know that you are a big guy and could probably pound just about anyone on this board, but physical threats are not needed. That's what got me banned years ago - although in that case the POS deserved to be pounded.
Glad you're back Loyal.

Reactions: kougkurt
C'mon Biggs, chill out. Go back and read many of YOUR posts where you attack and ridicule people just because they don't share your point of view. And I know that you are a big guy and could probably pound just about anyone on this board, but physical threats are not needed. That's what got me banned years ago - although in that case the POS deserved to be pounded.

Don’t call me out and there won’t be an issue. If you wanna call me an internet tough guy or keyboard tough guy, you are going to be confronted. If you don’t want an issue, don’t escalate it to this point. Walk away, click ignore, move on.

Instead of telling me to chill out, maybe you should tell them to chill out. Some posters Ive had on ignore for years. Hell maybe 5 years or longer. Rarely do I catch their posts. Tell me, who tells them to chill out when they write post after post about me?

Don’t call me out and there won’t be an issue. If you wanna call me an internet tough guy or keyboard tough guy, you are going to be confronted. If you don’t want an issue, don’t escalate it to this point. Walk away, click ignore, move on.

Instead of telling me to chill out, maybe you should tell them to chill out. Some posters Ive had on ignore for years. Hell maybe 5 years or longer. Rarely do I catch their posts. Tell me, who tells them to chill out when they write post after post about me?
Chill out internet tough guy.

• Haha
Reactions: BleedCrimsonandGray
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT