ADVERTISEMENT

Does Glenn Johnson get credit

fingerdisco

Hall Of Fame
Apr 29, 2015
for “and that’s another _______ first down!”?

I hear a lot of other teams doing it now, but I remember that from GJ’s public address work in Martin from at least the early nineties. Just heard the BYU stadium do it, which got me wondering if we’re being plagiarized.

I hear a lot of other teams doing it now, but I remember that from GJ’s public address work in Martin from at least the early nineties. Just heard the BYU stadium do it, which got me wondering if we’re being plagiarized.
Yea lots of teams do it but he was first.

Didn't he get in some sort of trouble from the Pac-10 at one point? Something about "cheerleading" and he needs to remain "neutral"?

For some dumb reason here in Idaho the game is blacked out on Dish.

Reactions: SDCoug and 79COUG
Didn't he get in some sort of trouble from the Pac-10 at one point? Something about "cheerleading" and he needs to remain "neutral"?

Try abc. The it says UCF and Pit But it’s UW

I vaguely remember something about having to dial down his enthusiasm, cuz you don’t want your home stadium to show favoritism.

Glenn arrived in '78 or '79. I think he started doing the PA in 1979, and really started saying it from his first year. He worked major market radio in LA, before coming to Pullman and Murrow.

He had to stop at "That's another" and let the crowd finish it. Dumbest thing ever. What's wrong with the home announcer favoring the home team? He's paid by the home team. It's not like he's the national tv broadcast guy. I never understood how they could even make him stop/alter anything he says as long as he's not up there saying the other team sucks.

Astute observers will have noticed that the acronym in my user name stands for "And that's another Cougar first down". Anyway, GJ has been doing that for a LONG time at least since the early 80's from my experience.
Anyway, as Oscar Wilde said: "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery that mediocrity can pay to greatness".

Reactions: PeteTheChop
M-I, my memory agrees with yours. I believe that I heard it while still at school, and my last FB season there was 79.

Reactions: M-I-Coug
Astute observers will have noticed that the acronym in my user name stands for "And that's another Cougar first down". Anyway, GJ has been doing that for a LONG time at least since the early 80's from my experience.
Anyway, as Oscar Wilde said: "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery that mediocrity can pay to greatness".
How do we know you're not Glenn? :)

M-I, my memory agrees with yours. I believe that I heard it while still at school, and my last FB season there was 79.
Well Glenn it is, then. He should trademark it—if Ohio State can make a run at “the” certainty GJ has a much stronger claim to And That’s Another...

Reactions: PeteTheChop
"and that's another ... Cougar first down" began in 1982. There is a timeline which claims it was in 1983. But Glenn confirms in an interview with Bud Nameck that he started it in 1982.

Also disabuse yourself of the notion that the Pac-10 conference that made him stop. Glenn tells Bud that it was Rick "Dick" Dickson that made him stop ... what a complete piece of ssheet, as if we didn't already know. 4:17 on the interview. Now you know.

Reactions: 79COUG
"and that's another ... Cougar first down" began in 1982. There is a timeline which claims it was in 1983. But Glenn confirms in an interview with Bud Nameck that he started it in 1982.

Also disabuse yourself of the notion that the Pac-10 conference that made him stop. Glenn tells Bud that it was Rick "Dick" Dickson that made him stop ... what a complete piece of ssheet, as if we didn't already know. 4:17 on the interview. Now you know.

What a f’ng putz—tamping down the enthusiasm of your own stadium. He was a worthless AD.

Thanks for digging that up. I can’t imagine any other PA’s we’re doing it that far back, so I’m giving him full credit for it.

Dickson was yet another incompetent hire made by those running the place at the time. Did not have even the basics covered.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT