ADVERTISEMENT

Drue Jackson

etowncoug

Hall Of Fame
Apr 15, 2018
Is transferring out. Maybe the combination of being so far away from home and a crowded depth chart led to this decision. Bummer, but next man up.

Is transferring out. Maybe the combination of being so far away from home and a crowded depth chart led to this decision. Bummer, but next man up.

Sorry to see that, but not shocked. His absence all season when other true frosh played some was telling. Wasn't he a 4 star recruit? Will be interesting to see where he lands.

Sorry to see that, but not shocked. His absence all season when other true frosh played some was telling. Wasn't he a 4 star recruit? Will be interesting to see where he lands.
He did have 15 offers from very good programs. They might of added offers a little late after watching film. There are players with the same type of offer sheet who were rated much higher by the websites.

Air Raid is a fun offense, but you have to be willing to work. Maybe it's depth, maybe it's Pullman, maybe it's what it's expected, but it's not easy. Look at Easop he had to redshirt last year because he wasn't ready, took Dezmon until his junior year to get it going. Play receive in this Air Raid isn't easy, there is a lot asked of receivers. Good luck to the kid, interested in seeing where he lands, but leaving mid redshirt freshman year is interesting to me.

4 on this site, 3 on others.

If you watch his senior film, in my opinion he doesn't stand out above any of the regular 3 star receivers we regularly get. I do think he was a bit over-evaluated. I had the same feeling about Anthony White Jr, a 3/4 star from our 2017 class who is no longer with the program. I still think they were worthy of 3 stars though.

I find Donovan Ollie (in our 2019 class), who is a low/mid 3 star, to have better film than both Jackson and White Jr had.

Now compare to Rodrick Fisher's film, who blew up his senior year regarding evaluations and went from a 3 to a 4 star, and his athleticism, speed on film stands out even more.

If you watch his senior film, in my opinion he doesn't stand out above any of the regular 3 star receivers we regularly get. I do think he was a bit over-evaluated. I had the same feeling about Anthony White Jr, a 3/4 star from our 2017 class who is no longer with the program. I still think they were worthy of 3 stars though.

I find Donovan Ollie (in our 2019 class), who is a low/mid 3 star, to have better film than both Jackson and White Jr had.

Now compare to Rodrick Fisher's film, who blew up his senior year regarding evaluations and went from a 3 to a 4 star, and his athleticism, speed on film stands out even more.

Good eye.

Given the depth and number of freshman receivers in the 2018 class, some were bound to leave.

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
Given the depth and number of freshman receivers in the 2018 class, some were bound to leave.

So far looking at our current receiving stats from this reason, we only lose 33 catches for 324 yds out of 336 catches for 3577 yds. That includes RB's, and the graduation of Sweet (25/276), Harrington (7/42), and Lewis (1/6). Statistically, Sweet is really our only loss in that category, and it's a moderate one at that.

312 catches for 3,241 yds returning, and that will obviously increase a lot by the end of the year.

We have 8 players with 20 or more catches so far on the year (includes Borghi and Williams), Sweet is the only one graduating out of that 8.

We have 2 players with 10 or more catches (both returning, Bell and Jackson 10,14), and they both have a chance to get to 20 receptions, or close to it.

Throw Rodrick Fisher into the equation, who would have received much more playing time this season, + the other youngsters currently on campus waiting in the wings (Gray, Woods, both big targets at 6-5 and 6-4) and there is the writing on the wall if you think you aren't in the fight for a position.

Reactions: Slowmotionjones
Air Raid is a fun offense, but you have to be willing to work. Maybe it's depth, maybe it's Pullman, maybe it's what it's expected, but it's not easy. Look at Easop he had to redshirt last year because he wasn't ready, took Dezmon until his junior year to get it going. Play receive in this Air Raid isn't easy, there is a lot asked of receivers. Good luck to the kid, interested in seeing where he lands, but leaving mid redshirt freshman year is interesting to me.

I try to never fault a kid for transferring. Who knows what's going on? Maybe it's family, maybe he doesn't like Pullman, maybe he doesn't get along with coaches. Who knows?

My only question would be, why now? Why not get another couple months of free workouts, meals and practices? Also, seems like leaving mid year might open you up to some questions from the coaches you're wanting to transfer to.

He’s not going to get play much considering how deep the roster is.

You have Winston, Martin, Patmon all coming back.

Then you have Fischer, Calvin Jackson. Then you have whoever is coming in this year and next year to compete against.

Basically if you are looking for an “easy way to start” we aren’t the place.

Now if you are a hard working guy and are willing to do the work to earn the starting spot. Hey we are happy and excited to have you.

I try to never fault a kid for transferring. Who knows what's going on? Maybe it's family, maybe he doesn't like Pullman, maybe he doesn't get along with coaches. Who knows?

My only question would be, why now? Why not get another couple months of free workouts, meals and practices? Also, seems like leaving mid year might open you up to some questions from the coaches you're wanting to transfer to.

Gives him a head start on finding a new school.

You are better off finishing the semester. Get coaching, get tutoring, sit down with your coaches at the end of the season and talk. Do your best and leave with a glowing recomendation. Dont leave in the middle of this season.

I know guys that would kill for a Rose Bowl ring with WSU Cougars on it. Dont walk away from a special season like this one. You wanna be apart of this.

Some qbs and wrs in hs are greatly benefited from the system they play in. For example Tyler Bruggman put up great numbers playing for Brophy Prep and having great wrs to throw to. However, he wasnt nearly as good as his star rating indicated.

Drue Jackson to me came in with better technique than athleticism. He didn't have blazing speed (like Fisher or Calvin Jackson) or monster size (Gray, Woods, Fisher) but he looked like a good route runner with solid hands. I figured he'd earn his way into the rotation based on this alone. FWIW, he received glowing reviews from the coaches in fall camp and looked like someone who was going to get reps. It doesn't take extreme physical ability to succeed in the Air Raid, and I figured Jackson could flourish here. That said with the depth at the WR position (11 scholarship WR's are already returning next year), it's apparent easier playing time can be found elsewhere.

Hopefully this what's best for him. I haven't heard anything negative about him and he's not bad mouthing us on his way out the door. Best of luck Drue!

At least he can look for a transfer situation full time now with a realistic shot at being somewhere for spring ball. Good luck to him; opens another max scholie spot.

What happened with Robert Lewis? He got approved for another year, and seemed like he had developed into a reliable option - although more of a bit player than featured receiver - but I don’t think I’ve seen him on the field more than a couple times this season.

What happened with Robert Lewis? He got approved for another year, and seemed like he had developed into a reliable option - although more of a bit player than featured receiver - but I don’t think I’ve seen him on the field more than a couple times this season.
Buried down the depth chart.

Doesn't the mid week game with the 2nd team show who is moving up and who should be moving out? This is an advantage to both parties. He can move to a place where he can play and it opens up a scholly for a position that needs more depth.
In the past this was always viewed as a negative issue but not anymore. I would expect to see a QB moving on next season once the new starter is announced next year. Lots of young QBs but not all will be playing. It's a good thing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT