ADVERTISEMENT

Early Bowl odds

ElComanche

Hall Of Fame
Sep 28, 2007
Alabama is a -14 point favorite and USC is a -6.5 favorite in early odds making. Las Vegas will be close to those odds . No odds on cougs yet

Las Vegas odds makers have Alabama as a 14 pt favorite and USC as a 71/2 favorite.. Penn State looks like a good bet to me at those odds

Alabama is a -14 point favorite and USC is a -6.5 favorite in early odds making. Las Vegas will be close to those odds . No odds on cougs yet

Not seeing the Huskies beating the Crimson Tide. Unless Alabama is -3 on turnovers and/or has some special teams breakdowns that result in short fields for the UW or runbacks for TDs, I don't see them beating that defense.

What would concern me if I were a Husky fan is that the only team they played with equivalent talent they got throttled by...at home too.

Would you give 14 points to Alabama? I think I would.

HHusky...Moonie...your fans wanted Bama (or at least some did), so what are your thoughts? Nothing to lose though, and all to gain.

Last edited:
Not seeing the Huskies beating the Crimson Tide. Unless Alabama is -3 on turnovers and/or has some special teams breakdowns that result in short fields for the UW or runbacks for TDs, I don't see them beating that defense.

What would concern me if I were a Husky fan is that the only team they played with equivalent talent they got throttled by...at home too.

HHusky...Moonie...your fans wanted Bama (or at least some did), so what are your thoughts? Nothing to lose though, and all to gain.

It's hard to imagine Browning looking good against Bama and the running game is not going to perform like they did against CU. That said, Alabama had a lot of games that were "relatively" close at halftime. 17-3 was a very typical halftime score and Bama rarely led big after one quarter. Auburn, Ole Miss, LSU, and TAMU were all within one score in the third quarter. Late in the games is when Bama just buried everyone. UW has a good enough defense to keep Bama from rolling up a huge lead early and I could see a 17-10 halftime score with Alabama leading by the touchdown. 27-13 after three quarters and 41-27 for a final score with UW getting that late score to make it look closer than it was.

If it was anyone but the mutts, I'd be rooting for them to beat Alabama. Can't risk the mutts getting into the NC game though. Roll Tide.

I don't know if I would go so far as to say SC 'throttled' the UW. Ultimately they did win relatively easily and it was obvious the UW wasn't ready for a team with equal or better talent especially offensively.

For good reason a lot of the focus will be on the Tides defense vs. the UW offense. I think equally interesting is Alabama's offense against the UW's defense. Jalen Hurts can hurt you with his legs but he's not the most accurate passer at this point and I would have to think UWs secondary is as good as he will face this year. Obviously the UW has to contain them on the ground (no easy feat) but I wonder if both teams are at their best if it becomes a bit of a stalemate.

I am looking forward to this one. As someone said here or there the dogs have a 'punchers chance' in this one. If they can win field position, keep Browning off his bum, and have some early success they have a shot of making this a game into the 4th quarter.

If the turnovers favor the mutts,they will beat the point spread i would not bet on this game but if pressed i would take the mutts and the points

Browning is gonna have to carry the team and make some accurate anticipatory throws. He was very lucky against CU not to get picked, I counted about 3 balls that should have easily been picked and that's a different game. Alabama has NFL players all over the field and they will make those plays.

Very interesting game. If the mutts can avoid mistakes, particularly browning, they can stay in it and make it a game. From what I've seen of browning against really talented defense's though, I think odds are Bama will roll.

I think Bama will beat UW going away, but UW has the defense to keep them in the game. If Peterson can spring an early trick play and keep the Alabama defense off guard with misdirection stuff, the game could be interesting.

Generally though, I see Alabama stuffing the UW run game and forcing Browing to beat them. If they don't turn the ball over, they should win by 3 TDs.

Personally, I'm kind of mixed about it too. It's always good to see UW lose, but having Alabama boat race USC and UW in the same season won't exactly reflect well on our league.

Very interesting game. If the mutts can avoid mistakes, particularly browning, they can stay in it and make it a game. From what I've seen of browning against really talented defense's though, I think odds are Bama will roll.

If Peterson is wise, and you know he is, Browning is going to rest his arm over the next 4 weeks. He could barely throw the ball 30 yards by the end of the season. Playing as a true freshmen last year and throughout this season, the wear and tear has started to hit him.

I think Bama will beat UW going away, but UW has the defense to keep them in the game. If Peterson can spring an early trick play and keep the Alabama defense off guard with misdirection stuff, the game could be interesting.

Generally though, I see Alabama stuffing the UW run game and forcing Browing to beat them. If they don't turn the ball over, they should win by 3 TDs.

Personally, I'm kind of mixed about it too. It's always good to see UW lose, but having Alabama boat race USC and UW in the same season won't exactly reflect well on our league.
Did you see Florida try the Flea Flicker against 'Bama? Too much talent and speed in their front 7 to have a lot of success with misdirection or trick plays. Peterson will try but they better find the right situation and play or it could end up going the other way.

I think they really need to establish Gaskin/Coleman a bit and for Ross, Jr/Pettis/Daniel to produce against a thin (still talented, but thin) 'Bama secondary. As with others I don't know whether Browning is the guy to expose the Tide defense. Getting him some rest and prep time won't hurt though.

It's always good to see UW lose, but having Alabama boat race USC and UW in the same season won't exactly reflect well on our league.
Not even a question. Half a title in 1991 was enough to keep the Mutt hype rolling for 25 years. Can you imagine what a legitimate national championship would do to the peace and quiet in the NW? RTR.

not well, though perhaps accurately... it hasn't exactly been a banner year for the conference.

Petersen will have the Ewe ready to play - but Bama will be too much after halftime. I would take Bama and the points if I was betting on this game.

Not even a question. Half a title in 1991 was enough to keep the Mutt hype rolling for 25 years. Can you imagine what a legitimate national championship would do to the peace and quiet in the NW? RTR.
Oh gawd no. I do feel for Coug fans on the west side if this were to come to pass. And the crappy thing is, even if they get boat raced by 'Bama, we still can't really enjoy our schadenfreude since they boat raced us. It really is a depressing time to be a Coug fan in Seattle. Thank God I'm nowhere near there.

And as others have posted, I don't hate UW overall. Indeed, several of my high school buddies went there. I get along fine with them and the ribbing, perhaps because we were friends before we went our separate ways. But the average joe UW fan? Disgusting folk.

I agree with the idea that the Huskies seem to be at a disadvantage, because the most physical, attacking defense they played beat them...and Alabama's is probably even more physical than USC's.

But, this also isn't the kind of team Alabama usually plays. If the husky OL can keep Browning clean, I think this one ends up closer than most expect. Browning will need to be sharp though - he'll be up against more talent than he's seen before, guys who can make him pay for marginal throws he got away with against Rutgers and Portland State.

Alabama's offense isn't all that strong, they're just consistent. Consistency and execution is their thing. In addition, their defense and special teams have scored 20% of their points this season - 10 defensive TDs, 4 punt return TDs.

So, I also agree it comes down to Browning. And it's going to be on the OL to make sure that Browning doesn't get quick pressure, and he's got time to make good reads and throws. If they can keep him on his feet, and he can take care of the ball and not let the Alabama D score, they have a chance. Petersen should be in his ear, telling him he doesn't have to win the game for them, he just has to be smart and manage the game. If they can stay within a score into the 4th quarter, the advantage starts shifting to UW, because they're much more of a threat to score quickly.

I don't know if I would go so far as to say SC 'throttled' the UW. Ultimately they did win relatively easily and it was obvious the UW wasn't ready for a team with equal or better talent especially offensively.

For good reason a lot of the focus will be on the Tides defense vs. the UW offense. I think equally interesting is Alabama's offense against the UW's defense. Jalen Hurts can hurt you with his legs but he's not the most accurate passer at this point and I would have to think UWs secondary is as good as he will face this year. Obviously the UW has to contain them on the ground (no easy feat) but I wonder if both teams are at their best if it becomes a bit of a stalemate.

I am looking forward to this one. As someone said here or there the dogs have a 'punchers chance' in this one. If they can win field position, keep Browning off his bum, and have some early success they have a shot of making this a game into the 4th quarter.
"I don't know if I would go so far as to say SC 'throttled' the UW".

Fair point.

Having lived in the Seattle area for the past 40 years, I've witnessed the rise, fall, and now the rebirth of the UW program first hand. My Mother worked for the UWMC for 20 years (but she's a diehard Coug fan), so I've been on the front line in terms of the razzing and jeering all of my life.

I've always felt that the absolute best time to be a Cougar fan was in the 80's to mid-1990's when UW was at their best. The rivalry was huge back then. Today, it's much different over here. The rise of the Seahawks has taken a lot of attention away from UW. The bandwagon fans are all wearing "12" jersey's, and UW just isn't a big deal anymore; not like they were. Hell, did you see how few of their fans made it to Pullman for Apple Cup? I was shocked. Seattle, much like the New England region where I'm originally from, has transformed into a pro-football town. Anything other than the Seahawks is viewed as pop warner ball.

I guess I don't have the little brother complex that so many Cougar fans suffer with. I can't say that I'll be cheering for them against Alabama, but I'll definitely cringe if they lose to the tune of 55-13. I understand the concern that if they win the National Championship, listening to their fans will be unbearable, but on the other hand, it will send a shockwave through our program that we need to step it up and get better. Having UW be Goliath is kind of fun, at least it is for me.

Having lived in the Seattle area for the past 40 years, I've witnessed the rise, fall, and now the rebirth of the UW program first hand. My Mother worked for the UWMC for 20 years (but she's a diehard Coug fan), so I've been on the front line in terms of the razzing and jeering all of my life.

I've always felt that the absolute best time to be a Cougar fan was in the 80's to mid-1990's when UW was at their best. The rivalry was huge back then. Today, it's much different over here. The rise of the Seahawks has taken a lot of attention away from UW. The bandwagon fans are all wearing "12" jersey's, and UW just isn't a big deal anymore; not like they were. Hell, did you see how few of their fans made it to Pullman for Apple Cup? I was shocked. Seattle, much like the New England region where I'm originally from, has transformed into a pro-football town. Anything other than the Seahawks is viewed as pop warner ball.

I guess I don't have the little brother complex that so many Cougar fans suffer with. I can't say that I'll be cheering for them against Alabama, but I'll definitely cringe if they lose to the tune of 55-13. I understand the concern that if they win the National Championship, listening to their fans will be unbearable, but on the other hand, it will send a shockwave through our program that we need to step it up and get better. Having UW be Goliath is kind of fun, at least it is for me.

Good thoughts, CP!

The only thing I won't agree with is I won't cringe if they get stomped. The other 11 conference teams? - I would. I know during bowl season, I'm supposed to be pro-P12 all the way, but I hate The Ewe enough to supersede that.

Reactions: 79COUG

I'm from Seattle; spent my first 30 years there. Some fans are better than others and I've met 'em all: the jack-fan who couldn't get in. The 2-year CC transfer who kept applying until he got in the backdoor. The wife/girlfriend of the grad. The siblings. And they all want to let you know about it.

I don't even live in the NW anymore and the idea of giving my Husky friends 30 years of arrogance ammo - enough fuel til the day I die - is out of the question. I question how connected one is if they don't have at least one Husky friend they know who will make their lives miserable with a championship. I think I'd have to leave the country if they won it all - it wasn't Bush, it was Obama, it wasn't Trump: it was the Huskies winning it all that finally made me move to Helsinki.

I'm just having a tough time understanding how any Cougar football fan could not root against UW in this instance. If it were the Rose Bowl I'd be ok with it, but this is a potential NC. The implications for the Cougs are huge, and I'm not talking about the jack husky fan smack. They are already out-recruiting us - this would be the dagger in the recruiting battle, if you could even call it that. While the obvious thing to assume would be that the fuskies are simply filling in the void left by Oregon (and that situation is looking bleak... HOORAY), it would be nice if the Cougs could get their share of the recruits no longer favoring Oregon instead of them all going to UW.

It is a tossup to me. I hate the SEC and think that ,most of the teams are over rated. So A mutt victory would be OK in many respects.To see the SEC and media propaganda machines trying to cope with a bama loss would be fantastic.

I'm just having a tough time understanding how any Cougar football fan could not root against UW in this instance. If it were the Rose Bowl I'd be ok with it, but this is a potential NC. The implications for the Cougs are huge, and I'm not talking about the jack husky fan smack. They are already out-recruiting us - this would be the dagger in the recruiting battle, if you could even call it that. While the obvious thing to assume would be that the fuskies are simply filling in the void left by Oregon (and that situation is looking bleak... HOORAY), it would be nice if the Cougs could get their share of the recruits no longer favoring Oregon instead of them all going to UW.
I actually have a soft spot for Oregon because UW fans hate them so much and I love seeing Oregon beat them. UW winning would suck. End of story.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT