ADVERTISEMENT

Eastern. And Cooper Kupp

Coug90

Hall Of Fame
Jan 17, 2012
NFL defensive backs can’t cover that dude! There’s no way they have anyone on their roster that can give our DBs the kind of fits that CK did, and it’s safe to say the Cougs have signicantly upgraded the D backfield since. I know some people are scared because of what happened a couple years ago but I think we roll them Saturday.

NFL defensive backs can’t cover that dude! There’s no way they have anyone on their roster that can give our DBs the kind of fits that CK did, and it’s safe to say the Cougs have signicantly upgraded the D backfield since. I know some people are scared because of what happened a couple years ago but I think we roll them Saturday.

Luani was suspended. Robert Taylor was disqualified for targeting. Jalen Thompson was starting his first college game. The result was Kupp running wild in the secondary.

I was thinking about that yesterday Kupp is a monster and a rare weapon that Eastern no longer has the luxury of

Luani was suspended. Robert Taylor was disqualified for targeting. Jalen Thompson was starting his first college game. The result was Kupp running wild in the secondary.

Don't make excuses. If you want to play that game, it was Gubrud's first start at QB, too. And he torched the Pac-12 beast with his feet and his arm. 551 yards total offense.

Leach and Grinch got their lunch served that day. Team wasn't mentally ready to play and didn't make any adjustments.

Reactions: 79COUG
Don't make excuses. If you want to play that game, it was Gubrud's first start at QB, too. And he torched the Pac-12 beast with his feet and his arm. 551 yards total offense.

Leach and Grinch got their lunch served that day. Team wasn't mentally ready to play and didn't make any adjustments.
It will be an interesting test.

I think Kupp would have torched us even if we were at "full strength." He was/is that good.

Grinch may have improved the defense a ton, but he had a lot of blunders like this in his tenure here. Not really all that sad that he is gone. The fact that they didn't have Kupp covered on the game winning catch is unforgivable - everyone in the stadium knew it was going to him.

What excuse did you imagine?

I think the bigger question is: How did we miss on that kid? He's better than any receiver we've had in a long time...maybe ever.

Reactions: bamacoug2
Eastern is almost a sellout. Not expecting this. Are there a lot of Eagles, student body and fans coming down, or a combination of us and them?

And Wulff only had three years to recruit him....

I guess the magic eye for talent let him down.
But Leach > Wulff and should be held to a higher standard.

With your logic, Wulff was supposed to start recruiting him his Freshman year.

Maybe he should have pretended he was the football version of Damon Bailey and recruited him in 8th grade.

Last edited:
But Leach > Wulff and should be held to a higher standard.

With your logic, Wulff was supposed to start recruiting him his Freshman year.

Maybe he should have pretended he was the football version of Damon Bailey and recruited him in 8th grade.

This is a strange argument to make. Wulff had been building that 2012 class for probably a couple years and didn't offer him despite having no one of quality at the position.

Leach had 3 months to tear that horrible class apart and rebuild it and added Gabe Marks at the position.

I mean it doesn't matter now, but if we're assigning blame for why Kupp wasn't a Coug, I think the bulk of it goes towards Wulff.

This is a strange argument to make. Wulff had been building that 2012 class for probably a couple years and didn't offer him despite having no one of quality at the position.

Leach had 3 months to tear that horrible class apart and rebuild it and added Gabe Marks at the position.

I mean it doesn't matter now, but if we're assigning blame for why Kupp wasn't a Coug, I think the bulk of it goes towards Wulff.

I'm just trying to figure out how we missed on the kid. How both coaches missed on the kid.(I did mention earlier how Leach had a short window) Same reason I always wondered how Iupati ended up at Idaho.

I don't know much about the situation...was the kid a late bloomer? It is just kind of baffling how a kid in our back yard that would end up at Eastern and then tear us a new one when everyone knew he was getting the ball.

Not really. He graduated in 2012. Leach was hired in December of 2011. Short window but they had to know who the kid was.
Leach was asked whether WSU recruited Kupp (or maybe why we didnt offer a scholarship) when we played them last time around. He said they knew about him, watched his tape, liked him but the window was short and they were only prepared to offer a PWO. I believe he said if they had more time who knows but the window was short and basically sometimes you just miss.

People look at Kupp and in hindsight wonder why Leach or others weren’t after him but maybe forget that Kupp grew I think pretty quickly after high school (that’s not unique) and I believe his speed improved a lot from his senior year to even when he got on campus at EWU. I think even the Eastern coaches were surprised at what they had in Kupp. I always thought it spoke to Leach’s ability to identify talent if those things were factual. I wonder who else offered him a PWO in the conference? He could have played anywhere.

Reactions: spongewatch
Leach was asked whether WSU recruited Kupp (or maybe why we didnt offer a scholarship) when we played them last time around. He said they knew about him, watched his tape, liked him but the window was short and they were only prepared to offer a PWO. I believe he said if they had more time who knows but the window was short and basically sometimes you just miss.

People look at Kupp and in hindsight wonder why Leach or others weren’t after him but maybe forget that Kupp grew I think pretty quickly after high school (that’s not unique) and I believe his speed improved a lot from his senior year to even when he got on campus at EWU. I think even the Eastern coaches were surprised at what they had in Kupp. I always thought it spoke to Leach’s ability to identify talent if those things were factual. I wonder who else offered him a PWO in the conference? He could have played anywhere.
Awesome! That's exactly the info I was looking for.

Cooper Kupp had zero FBS offers from anyone......Leach didn't offer him a scholarship......yet Wulff is somehow an idiot for not recruiting him? If you look up his wikipedia page, it says that Seattle Times listed him as a "White Chip" player, meaning a Top 100 player in the state. Nobody thought the kid was FBS material. Sometimes....everybody misses.

Cooper Kupp had zero FBS offers from anyone......Leach didn't offer him a scholarship......yet Wulff is somehow an idiot for not recruiting him? If you look up his wikipedia page, it says that Seattle Times listed him as a "White Chip" player, meaning a Top 100 player in the state. Nobody thought the kid was FBS material. Sometimes....everybody misses.

Because Wulff was recruiting at a level never seen before, and had a magic eye for talent.

This. Some guys tear it up in HS and suck in college. Some guys blossom late and are studs in college. It happens, it’s nobodys fault. Same thing happens from college to pros which is why several GMs and oaches are fired every year when they’ve done nothing but eat sleep and breathe football their entire lives.

I'm just trying to figure out how we missed on the kid. How both coaches missed on the kid.(I did mention earlier how Leach had a short window) Same reason I always wondered how Iupati ended up at Idaho.

I don't know much about the situation...was the kid a late bloomer? It is just kind of baffling how a kid in our back yard that would end up at Eastern and then tear us a new one when everyone knew he was getting the ball.

His dad played at UW and begged Sark to give him a look and Sark didn't give him the time of day. It wasn't just WSU that whiffed.

The same thing could be said for Vernon Adams. Maybe not specifically for WSU since he was a California kid, but he clearly had the talent to play FBS ball.

Reactions: Cougzz
Spelling correctly > nut speling corectly.

And for Wulff, he chose everyone over Kupp, with years of time to make that decision with the magic eye for talent while recruiting at a level never seen before in Pullman.

Not sure the class was completed by then. Maybe he was scheduled to make a December offer to Copper.

By your logic Leach should have offered Charles Dimry before he did.

Not sure the class was completed by then. Maybe he was scheduled to make a December offer to Copper.

By your logic Leach should have offered Charles Dimry before he did.

Do you even know what you're talking about? Kupp was a 2012 high school graduate. He spent five years at EWU. What class did he need to complete that would have resulted in the holder of the magic eye for talent not making an offer, but making it so Leach should have?

Do you even know what you're talking about? Kupp was a 2012 high school graduate. He spent five years at EWU. What class did he need to complete that would have resulted in the holder of the magic eye for talent not making an offer, but making it so Leach should have?
Here's Copper senior film. He developed more speed after high school, but he had a good vertical and could catch the ball.

Spelling correctly > nut speling corectly.

And for Wulff, he chose everyone over Kupp, with years of time to make that decision with the magic eye for talent while recruiting at a level never seen before in Pullman.

Most of the people here that hate Wulff have decided to let him just be a stain in the past that doesn't need to be talked about. Yet here you are bitching about him not recruiting a player that he couldn't have signed anyway because he was fired in November. For all we know, Wulff might have told the kid that he'd offer him a scholarship in December depending on how his season went.

Frankly, since Leach didn't offer him a scholarship, you look kind of petty going on about it.

Reactions: spongewatch
Most of the people here that hate Wulff have decided to let him just be a stain in the past that doesn't need to be talked about. Yet here you are bitching about him not recruiting a player that he couldn't have signed anyway because he was fired in November. For all we know, Wulff might have told the kid that he'd offer him a scholarship in December depending on how his season went.

Frankly, since Leach didn't offer him a scholarship, you look kind of petty going on about it.

Says the guy that a week ago posted yet another garbage article about Wulff "not being that bad." Try following your own advice instead of spouting off to others.

Says the guy that a week ago posted yet another garbage article about Wulff "not being that bad." Try following your own advice instead of spouting off to others.

I was totally trolling on that and Scott took it down immediately and I don't have a problem with him doing that. You are being a troll right now.....so...........

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT