ADVERTISEMENT

Eastern. And Cooper Kupp

I was totally trolling on that and Scott took it down immediately and I don't have a problem with him doing that. You are being a troll right now.....so...........

As stated, try following your own advice instead of spouting off to others.

Do you even know what you're talking about? Kupp was a 2012 high school graduate. He spent five years at EWU. What class did he need to complete that would have resulted in the holder of the magic eye for talent not making an offer, but making it so Leach should have?
Yeah, I get he graduated in 2012. Do you believe Leach while doing radio was out recruiting, or do you think he built the 2012 class, better put, removed parts and added others to complete the 2012 class after he was hired in 2011? Are you saying Leach couldn't have seen and offered Kupp instead of Brett Bartolone? Why pretend like Leach had years to recruit any of these guys.

I am totally OK with a coach missing out on a kid, it happens all the time in recruiting.

Says the guy that a week ago posted yet another garbage article about Wulff "not being that bad." Try following your own advice instead of spouting off to others.

I was totally trolling on that and Scott took it down immediately and I don't have a problem with him doing that. You are being a troll right now.....so...........

Wait, what? I missed a CPW article? Dang it! :(

Guys...we are 2-0! Let's be happy and enjoy life. It could be worse...it HAS been worse.
Wait, what? I missed a CPW article? Dang it! :(

I had posted an article about the 10 worst coaching tenures in college football history and Wulff didn't make their cut. I said something along the lines of "He may have sucked....but he was only 11th worst".

Guys...we are 2-0! Let's be happy and enjoy life. It could be worse...it HAS been worse.
No shit! I started this thread with the thought that eastern isn’t the same eastern we saw two years ago because they don’t have this beast tearing up our secondary and we are going to be 3-0 with 3 convincing wins. How’d we get back to 9-40?!

Yeah, I get he graduated in 2012. Do you believe Leach while doing radio was out recruiting, or do you think he built the 2012 class, better put, removed parts and added others to complete the 2012 class after he was hired in 2011? Are you saying Leach couldn't have seen and offered Kupp instead of Brett Bartolone? Why pretend like Leach had years to recruit any of these guys.

I am totally OK with a coach missing out on a kid, it happens all the time in recruiting.

I'm not saying anything other than if you want to point fingers at anyone for "missing" on Kupp, Wulff is who you should point the finger at. I have no idea what the rest of your gibberish is supposed to mean.

Leach was asked whether WSU recruited Kupp (or maybe why we didnt offer a scholarship) when we played them last time around. He said they knew about him, watched his tape, liked him but the window was short and they were only prepared to offer a PWO. I believe he said if they had more time who knows but the window was short and basically sometimes you just miss.

People look at Kupp and in hindsight wonder why Leach or others weren’t after him but maybe forget that Kupp grew I think pretty quickly after high school (that’s not unique) and I believe his speed improved a lot from his senior year to even when he got on campus at EWU. I think even the Eastern coaches were surprised at what they had in Kupp. I always thought it spoke to Leach’s ability to identify talent if those things were factual. I wonder who else offered him a PWO in the conference? He could have played anywhere.
Kupp signed in 2012, and was 6'1", 180 lbs coming out of high school. He's now listed at 6'1", 205. He was All-state as a defensive back, honorable mention as a receiver his senior year, but his team (Davis) didn't even make the playoffs. Not really that hard to believe he didn't get that much attention, being from a mediocre team and without either blazing speed, height, or a big body. He didn't even play at EWU his first year, he redshirted in 2012. Not sure when he gained the 25 pounds, but in 2013 he started proving that prototypical speed and size don't mean everything. Tough to really fault Wulff or Leach for missing on his (especially Leach, with a compressed timeline) - everyone else missed too.

Reactions: kayak15
Kupp signed in 2012, and was 6'1", 180 lbs coming out of high school. He's now listed at 6'1", 205. He was All-state as a defensive back, honorable mention as a receiver his senior year, but his team (Davis) didn't even make the playoffs. Not really that hard to believe he didn't get that much attention, being from a mediocre team and without either blazing speed, height, or a big body. He didn't even play at EWU his first year, he redshirted in 2012. Not sure when he gained the 25 pounds, but in 2013 he started proving that prototypical speed and size don't mean everything. Tough to really fault Wulff or Leach for missing on his (especially Leach, with a compressed timeline) - everyone else missed too.
It's kinda hard to project an improved 40 time while gaining 20 pounds. In 2017....he was running a 4.6 and had an outstanding shuttle time. I think he would of made a really good safety in college.

Last edited:
I understand the bitterness over the Wulff era. 9-40 is hard to endure. When people come out and either flat out lie about the process, or are so far off the mark, it leaves a bad taste.

I'm happy to have that chapter in our collective past, but I'll admit to reacting whenever someone suggests the Wulff era wasnt that bad.

Yep. Kupp was a "late bloomer" and who can predict that?

I'm not saying anything other than if you want to point fingers at anyone for "missing" on Kupp, Wulff is who you should point the finger at. I have no idea what the rest of your gibberish is supposed to mean.
Again, didn’t Leach replace half the committed kids and didn’t he sign Brett Bartolone. He had time to evaluate the kid. He missed as Wulff did . Or think he did as he could have been still considering offering him .

I understand the bitterness over the Wulff era. 9-40 is hard to endure. When people come out and either flat out lie about the process, or are so far off the mark, it leaves a bad taste.

I'm happy to have that chapter in our collective past, but I'll admit to reacting whenever someone suggests the Wulff era wasnt that bad.

The Wulff era was bad . Who says it wasn’t ?

The Wulff era was bad . Who says it wasn’t ?

Now Ed, if you aren't willing to say that Wulff is the worst coach in the history of all sports......you're not a true Coug. And that's ok. The thing that I'll say, that I said the other day, is that I truly appreciate Leach getting us to the point where we are nitpicking our team's play after a 31-0 victory.......with or without Cooper Kupp.

I am proud to say that I do have Cooper Kupp on my fantasy football team. Hope that sumb!tch treats the NFL like the 2016 Cougs all season long.

Again, didn’t Leach replace half the committed kids and didn’t he sign Brett Bartolone. He had time to evaluate the kid. He missed as Wulff did . Or think he did as he could have been still considering offering him .

Even six years after the disaster ended you’re making excuses for the guy. You’d be torching Doba.

Reactions: WASH ST A&M FAN
Even six years after the disaster ended you’re making excuses for the guy. You’d be torching Doba.
Even 6 years after the disaster, you still bring him up on the daily, including in this thread.

And you,still use verbiage such as "magic eye for talent" and "at a level never seen before"

As stated before, you need new material.

I'm just trying to figure out how we missed on the kid. How both coaches missed on the kid.(I did mention earlier how Leach had a short window) Same reason I always wondered how Iupati ended up at Idaho.

I don't know much about the situation...was the kid a late bloomer? It is just kind of baffling how a kid in our back yard that would end up at Eastern and then tear us a new one when everyone knew he was getting the ball.

I don't know. Guys get missed every year. Is it really that shocking?

Everyone else missed on him too.
Same with Kellen Moore.
Same with Iupoti.
Same with Baker Mayfield.
Same with Luke Falk.

Reactions: GrayOnGray

Same with Kellen Moore.
Same with Iupoti.
Same with Luke Falk.

Leach offered Mayfield.

Cooper Kupp had zero FBS offers from anyone......Leach didn't offer him a scholarship......yet Wulff is somehow an idiot for not recruiting him? If you look up his wikipedia page, it says that Seattle Times listed him as a "White Chip" player, meaning a Top 100 player in the state. Nobody thought the kid was FBS material. Sometimes....everybody misses.

Wulff had a class of almost entirely not FBS players on board.

I mean, at least Leach room Marks, Lewis, Bartolone & Alex Jackson in that class instead of Kupp.

Wulff had a couple Texas kids that ended up at like Sam Houston St.

Same with Kellen Moore.
Same with Iupoti.
Same with Luke Falk.

Luke Falk?! He sucked. Deserved to be missed.

Sincerely,
Elsie

:D

Yeah cause Doba didn't recruit well. Any other suggestion after we have history that was the downfall of the program. He took a three 10 win team and in his last season gave up 47 plus points four times. The program was in a tailspin and they hired a guy who had to rely on a- b+ players as he didn't have the cache to go head to head with Mike Riley, Tedford, or whoever was at ASU at the time.

Most of the people here that hate Wulff have decided to let him just be a stain in the past that doesn't need to be talked about. Yet here you are bitching about him not recruiting a player that he couldn't have signed anyway because he was fired in November. For all we know, Wulff might have told the kid that he'd offer him a scholarship in December depending on how his season went.

Frankly, since Leach didn't offer him a scholarship, you look kind of petty going on about it.

You're involved in EVERY thread about Wulff.

Yeah cause Doba didn't recruit well. Any other suggestion after we have history that was the downfall of the program. He took a three 10 win team and in his last season gave up 47 plus points four times. The program was in a tailspin and they hired a guy who had to rely on a- b+ players as he didn't have the cache to go head to head with Mike Riley, Tedford, or whoever was at ASU at the time.

Wulff’s recruiting was garbage.

Sears and Wulff with Lobster no longer holding them back - only lost by 14 points to SD State last weekend. They lost by 18 points in 2011.

The two offensive master minds (Wulff and Rosie) will face off when Sac State plays Montana this year.

But took Tyler Bruggman over him, IIRC.
Mayfield has said he wasn’t interested in the programs that offered him out of high schoo. With us his interest was Leach and probably only meeting Leach. I know he was who I wanted at the time like that means anything but just sayin’.

Reactions: Fab5Coug
Hell who wanted Mayfield? Hell how did that happen? I guess waking up sore and alone after an all night drunk, Falk the statue nail biting Qb who had two mediocre sisters who got some shekels from delirious fans who thought they had a first round draft pick on their hands.

You're involved in EVERY thread about Wulff.

I do typically post, because some of the myopic viewpoints expressed should be refuted. This thread is a great example of how biased some of our friends on the board are. WSU didn't offer a scholarship to Cooper Kupp, who graduated in 2012 (after Wulff was fired) but it's Wulff's fault that he wasn't at WSU even though Leach, our actual coach at the time, (and any other FBS coach) didn't offer the kid a scholarship. As mentioned above, there was a recent article about the 10 worst tenures in college football history, and Wulff didn't even get an honorable mention, yet if you ask our Wulff haters, he's the worst coach in the history of all sports.

At this point, we all know that everyone who hates Wulff will always hate him and we know the people that think that he was just an overmatched guy given a difficult job who buried himself trying to follow orders are always going to think that he's attacked more harshly than he should be. And that's ok. BTW, as I've always said, Wulff needed to be fired in 2011 because he did not get the job done at WSU.......so just because I don't say that he's the worst coach eva' doesn't mean that I'm not glad that he's gone. It's a nuance that's lost on some of our friends so I have to repeat it every time because they seem to forget that if I don't.

Again, this thread highlights the level of blind hatred that some of our fans harbor for Wulff. It borders on moronic to suggest that Wulff failed as a head coach for not recruiting Kupp.....but that doesn't keep people here from suggesting it. That says a lot about their blind hatred of Wulff, and perhaps their understanding of the sport.

Last edited:
Reactions: spongewatch
I do typically post, because some of the myopic viewpoints expressed should be refuted. This thread is a great example of how biased some of our friends on the board are. WSU didn't offer a scholarship to Cooper Kupp, who graduated in 2012 (after Wulff was fired) but it's Wulff's fault that he wasn't at WSU even though Leach, our actual coach at the time, (and any other FBS coach) didn't offer the kid a scholarship. As mentioned above, there was a recent article about the 10 worst tenures in college football history, and Wulff didn't even get an honorable mention, yet if you ask our Wulff haters, he's the worst coach in the history of all sports.

At this point, we all know that everyone who hates Wulff will always hate him and we know the people that think that he was just an overmatched guy given a difficult job who buried himself trying to follow orders are always going to think that he's attacked more harshly than he should be. And that's ok. BTW, as I've always said, Wulff needed to be fired in 2011 because he did not get the job done at WSU.......so just because I don't say that he's the worst coach eva' doesn't mean that I'm not glad that he's gone. It's a nuance that's lost on some of our friends so I have to repeat it every time because they seem to forget that if I don't.

Again, this thread highlights the level of blind hatred that some of our fans harbor for Wulff. It borders on moronic to suggest that Wulff failed as a head coach for not recruiting Kupp.....but that doesn't keep people here from suggesting it. That says a lot about their blind hatred of Wulff, and perhaps their understanding of the sport.

Nice attempt to assert moral and intellectual superiority. We all know you’re the moron you refer to.

Last week you were arguing Comfort was a disappointment. Talk about morons.

Last edited:
Nice attempt to assert moral and intellectual superiority. We all know you’re the moron you refer to.

Last week you were arguing Comfort was a disappointment. Talk about morons.

FWIW, I said that Taylor Comfort's career at WSU prior to this season was a disappointment. 1 career tackle, even for a walk-on, was nothing to be excited about and there is no need for me to apologize for saying that. I'm glad that he's playing well so far this year and he's definitely changed his legacy at WSU in a positive way.

FWIW, I said that Taylor Comfort's career at WSU prior to this season was a disappointment. 1 career tackle, even for a walk-on, was nothing to be excited about and there is no need for me to apologize for saying that. I'm glad that he's playing well so far this year and he's definitely changed his legacy at WSU in a positive way.

Again, nice attempt at moral superiority.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT