ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN ranks Leach in their top 15 of NFL coaching candidates...surprised?

The thing that makes me surprised about Leach is that this is based on their read long after Chip Kelly flamed out. That mobile, crippled QB approach was not well suited to the NFL, and a "no run, just pass" approach is probably also not tailored to the NFL. Putting Leach in a top 15 for the NFL list requires that the pure, unadulterated Air Raid be considered an NFL-type offense, and I just don't buy it.

There are two types of national-level articles like this ... ones that are well-researched regarding multiple teams (rare) and those that just eyeball some high-level numbers or stats (much more common). This is clearly in the latter category. "Hey, this guy has won a lot of games and his offenses are reportedly good -- he's an NFL candidate." Pretty obvious these "NFL analysts" just look at some numbers and general reputations and haven't given much consideration to whether some of these guys realistically would be NFL candidates.

Not only do I not see NFL teams going for an unadulterated Air Raid -- although it really would be interesting to see how it did in an environment with a lot of parity and good athletes on both sides of the ball -- but I don't see Mike getting along all that well with pro athletes or vice-versa.

There are two types of national-level articles like this ... ones that are well-researched regarding multiple teams (rare) and those that just eyeball some high-level numbers or stats (much more common). This is clearly in the latter category. "Hey, this guy has won a lot of games and his offenses are reportedly good -- he's an NFL candidate." Pretty obvious these "NFL analysts" just look at some numbers and general reputations and haven't given much consideration to whether some of these guys realistically would be NFL candidates.

Not only do I not see NFL teams going for an unadulterated Air Raid -- although it really would be interesting to see how it did in an environment with a lot of parity and good athletes on both sides of the ball -- but I don't see Mike getting along all that well with pro athletes or vice-versa.

Or dumbed down for people like me - CML is an easy piece to write and so the media includes him in everything. Candidate for everything 'cuz we can link to the wedding interview.

Funny - all those funny CML clips are the result of a reporter asking a question. CML just answers them. Every interview someone asks some raccoon or whatever question because they will get a long, funny or goofy answer.

Bet Rich"Rod" never got questions like that.

Some of us tire of Leach's goofiness. That said, I'm happy he's winning at WSU.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT