ADVERTISEMENT

Excessive celebration?

79COUG

Hall Of Fame
Gold Member
Nov 19, 2008
Now don't get me wrong.... couldn't have happened to a more deserving team. However...I think this is a BS call by the umpires to eject the kid. Was it the bat flip? The swipe across the jersey? I've seen far, far worse!

I mean the kid looked like he’d been YouTubing home run celebrations the entire week and put them all into practice on one trot. It looked douchey. That said, nothing to the point even close to ejection. Only thing I can think is if the umpire saw the swipe across the chest as a “throat slash” gesture. But seems a stretch.

The beautiful thing about baseball is it police’s itself. You don’t need the umpires stealing the show. If the team doesn’t like how the dude acted, throw a heater at his back the next time he’s up.

Reactions: BleedCrimsonandGray
Now don't get me wrong.... couldn't have happened to a more deserving team. However...I think this is a BS call by the umpires to eject the kid. Was it the bat flip? The swipe across the jersey? I've seen far, far worse!

I'm more bent that he carried the bat 3/4 of the way to first base.

That being said, while I don't see anything specifically wrong with anything he did, I'm not sure why we're going apeshit over a game tying HR in a regular season game. Act as if.

I'm just stunned the fuskies even have baseball. Probably part of the CHAZ expansion agreement.

I'm more bent that he carried the bat 3/4 of the way to first base.

That being said, while I don't see anything specifically wrong with anything he did, I'm not sure why we're going apeshit over a game tying HR in a regular season game. Act as if.
Because an unusually large percentage of our fans have chronic little brother syndrome where UW is concerned. The same umpire will toss one of our pitchers for yelling too loudly after striking out a batter and people on here will be bent.

Last edited:
Umps have a tough job. That said, there was nothing there that merits an ejection UNLESS something was said that we can't hear on the video.. That is the only thing I can think of, and if it was officially deemed to be "excessive celebration", then that does not fit a verbal offense. The chest slash was pretty inconspicuous; douchey, as noted above, but not rising to the level of ejection. This will give the UW athletic department something to do for a day or so as they file their complaint and sound aggrieved. And maybe the kid will learn something from the experience. But the ump was off base (pun intended) unless there was something said that we cannot hear....

Reading through the Twitter responses evidently there's a new rule this year that doing the slash across the chest is now considered taunting... automatic ejection.

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
Reading through the Twitter responses evidently there's a new rule this year that doing the slash across the chest is now considered taunting... automatic ejection.
remember when you didn't have to make a rule about taunting in baseball, because a) players at all levels just didn't do it and b) if you did do something untoward, you'd have your comeuppance at your next at bat.

Thanks, 79. I did not know that. New rules always take some enforcement, since they are seldom adequately communicated.

I wonder why the league decided to create this rule at this time? Is anyone aware of any high profile incidents?

Thanks, 79. I did not know that. New rules always take some enforcement, since they are seldom adequately communicated.

I wonder why the league decided to create this rule at this time? Is anyone aware of any high profile incidents?
My guess is the social media phenomenon where kids are so quick to copy big leaguers. My son played JV HS ball last year…pitchers of course still pretty wild and kids get plunked in every game, nobody’s throwing at anyone. More than a few times I see a kid get plunked and giving the pitcher a stare down on his way to first base. Last thing you want is a fight in a HS or college game because some kid is acting douchey copying a big leaguer. Probably an over correction just like end zone celebrations were for a while.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT