ADVERTISEMENT

Flag up

This one caught me by surprise. I think one of the players is from Texas because a coach tweeted about getting a big time player from a big time state.

Reactions: kougkurt
This one caught me by surprise. I think one of the players is from Texas because a coach tweeted about getting a big time player from a big time state.
Wasn't there a defensive end from Florida or Louisiana that was high on the Cougs?

Wasn't there a defensive end from Florida or Louisiana that was high on the Cougs?

Yes. Jamarion Peterson from LA. I don't think he's committing at this time.

My gut on this says one of the commits is a linebacker and the other is a receiver. By missing out on a couple of WR's and an instate LB, I think they are letting some recruits know they need to commit or we'll move on.

Yes. Jamarion Peterson from LA. I don't think he's committing at this time.

My gut on this says one of the commits is a linebacker and the other is a receiver. By missing out on a couple of WR's and an instate LB, I think they are letting some recruits know they need to commit or we'll move on.
Yes, that is who I was thinking about. Thanks. I honestly have no idea. Perhaps Patu, the linebacker from California?

Why do half the 3-5 star players from Washington State reject Washington State so much? I can't figure it out.

Social status, brand name, perceived value of other schools. For me it isn't that an in state kid said no. It’s that they never stepped on campus.

I would say this about the West Coast in general...

There are regions in the nation where kids jump on offers. You’ll see classes fill up fast.

The West Coast kids don’t make fast decisions. It looks like they wait and don’t decide until late.

I don’t know if that is because they are just slower in the process or they are unimpressed with their offers.

Why do half the 3-5 star players from Washington State reject Washington State so much? I can't figure it out.

Coffee cups of cash. And 18 years of being told by a bunch of goons that couldn't get into WSU that the school is second rate, no matter how many wins, bowl games, All-Americans, college graduates and NFL draft picks WSU produces.

I would say this about the West Coast in general...

There are regions in the nation where kids jump on offers. You’ll see classes fill up fast.

The West Coast kids don’t make fast decisions. It looks like they wait and don’t decide until late.

I don’t know if that is because they are just slower in the process or they are unimpressed with their offers.

For the fringe guys, it does feel like most try to leverage that first "bigger P5" offer into something "bigger."

Example: Fotu Lieato from a few years ago - IIRC, someone on one of the Coug boards posted his film and WSU offered and then right after, everyone else (Oregon, etc.) jumped aboard. Kid was a local from the state of Washington, a smaller school. (Lieato unfortunately was killed in an automobile accident in 2018).

It's why I do not trust camps put on by people like That Business Man in the Seattle area. His motive come across to only build his brand. So when that first "big offer" (say WSU) comes in, he tells them to leverage it and wait. And if nothing else comes through, it's WSU's fault they decided to move on or they don't move forward. I can pretty much guess this happens nationwide and all too often - kids are given terrible advice for the benefit of others. It's the AAU of football - stuff is garbage.

Coffee cups of cash. And 18 years of being told by a bunch of goons that couldn't get into WSU that the school is second rate, nomatter how many wins, bowl games, All-Americans, college graduates and NFL draft picks WSU produces.

Getting stomped in the AC year in and year out doesn't help either. I mean a complete no-show for 7 of the years CML was here. It begs the question of whether or not in-state recruiting can be directly correlated to AC success. I seem to remember some pretty decent Seattle kids being recruited by CMP during the 90's after going 3-3 from 92 to 97.

Getting stomped in the AC year in and year out doesn't help either. I mean a complete no-show for 7 of the years CML was here. It begs the question of whether or not in-state recruiting can be directly correlated to AC success. I seem to remember some pretty decent Seattle kids being recruited by CMP during the 90's after going 3-3 from 92 to 97.

uw going into meltdown has more impact than WSU's success. Look at the 1999 and 2004 classes. Both years were impacted by uw firing the head coach. Guys that get offered by uw do not go to WSU.

Jayvhian Gipson is announcing tomorrow at 5 local time. That's #1.

Jaden Hicks was crystal balled by Blair Angelo with a high degree of confidence. He's a safety with an handful of power 5 offers.

If it's these two, I'd be pleased.

It’s a combination of getting smoked in the AC and money.

I would imagine OSU has the same issue with UO. Prob UCLA has the same issue with SC.

If you wanna win big games with big time recruits youre gonna have to spend the money. WSU has 100 years of going cheap. Turning the ship isnt gonna happen overnight. It could take 25 years.

they are fed a steady diet of husky their entire lives

This is why I never had any problem with WSU going after CA & Fla kids. You don't have to overcome decades of negative recruiting to win kids down there. Guys like Tracy Ford, Furness & Puckett were full of crap with their complaints about it. I guarantee you Ford has never once advocated a kid go to WSU if that kid had other comparable offers, even if the kid was tailor made for the Air Raid.

Jayvhian Gipson is announcing tomorrow at 5 local time. That's #1.

Jaden Hicks was crystal balled by Blair Angelo with a high degree of confidence. He's a safety with an handful of power 5 offers.

If it's these two, I'd be pleased.
Looks like it could be them. A couple nice gets if so.

This is why I never had any problem with WSU going after CA & Fla kids. You don't have to overcome decades of negative recruiting to win kids down there. Guys like Tracy Ford, Furness & Puckett were full of crap with their complaints about it. I guarantee you Ford has never once advocated a kid go to WSU if that kid had other comparable offers, even if the kid was tailor made for the Air Raid.
Doba and his staff were highly criticized for going to Texas. People are going to complain. If it is not one thing, they will find something else to bitch about. I would rather win. If Doba had won more, people would have complained about his clothes, or his shoes, or his hair... If they are good players and want to be Cougars, that is all that matters. Yet, there will be many that still disagree.

Last edited:
Doba and his staff were highly criticized for going to Texas. People are going to complain. If it is not one thing, they will find something else to bitch about. I would rather win. If Doba had one more, people would have complained about his clothes. If they are good players and want to be Cougars, that is all that matters. Yet, there will be many that still disagree.

If Doba had stayed in 2008 and won that AC as well, I don't think he would have been subject to the wrath of the fans. No way this fan base turns on a coach who went 4-2 in the AC.

If Doba had stayed in 2008 and won that AC as well, I don't think he would have been subject to the wrath of the fans. No way this fan base turns on a coach who went 4-2 in the AC.
nah, I was ready for a change. Love, love, love Doba - a true Coug through and through, but you could see the program deteriorating from within.

Screw Washington for recruiting—using the number of NFL players as a metric for talent production, the state flat out blows. And more often than not, the really highly rated players end up flopping—look at Max Browne, Jake Heaps, and to a lesser extent Jacob Eason as exhibits 1, 2, and 3. Cali, Texas, and Florida produce the most pros, which is where we should be focusing.

nah, I was ready for a change. Love, love, love Doba - a true Coug through and through, but you could see the program deteriorating from within.

No doubt folks would have wanted him gone and for the program to have a fresh start. He wouldn't have gotten the Wulff treatment though.

I see nuance in most things, but this is really simple.

- Ford and WA coaches are trying to get Power 5 rides for players who otherwise would be going to the Mountain West or Big Sky.

- Furness and Puckett simply are, if not idiots in the literal sense, what I charitably might term low- to moderate-information fans who have a traditional media outlet.

- The further you get from Seattle, the more WSU becomes a solid research university in a cool, albeit rural, college town with a pretty solid Power 5 football program and good facilities, with that program having been pretty good recently (won the Alamo Bowl, went 11-2, and finished in the top 10 a couple years ago). The closer you get to Seattle, it becomes what has been described in this thread.

Doba and his staff were highly criticized for going to Texas. People are going to complain. If it is not one thing, they will find something else to bitch about. I would rather win. If Doba had won more, people would have complained about his clothes, or his shoes, or his hair... If they are good players and want to be Cougars, that is all that matters. Yet, there will be many that still disagree.

The midnight run through Texas scooping up anyone that might qualify, after missing out on the plan A guys and having no plan B seemed like the problem to me.

Reactions: earldacoug
The midnight run through Texas scooping up anyone that might qualify, after missing out on the plan A guys and having no plan B seemed like the problem to me.
My post really wasn't about Doba. My post was about we should recruit where we can get the best players to come to Pullman. It really is not an efficient use of resources to go all out in the state of Washington. I know by some people that Leach gets knocked for not recruiting Washington, but he did get several offensive lineman in our state. You ask and then move on if it isn't going to happen. It isn't worth spending time here if players have a negative attitude toward WSU. Who can forget DeVante Downs? He tripped to WSU and was sent home early because all he did was trash WSU on his visit

I see nuance in most things, but this is really simple.

- Ford and WA coaches are trying to get Power 5 rides for players who otherwise would be going to the Mountain West or Big Sky.

- Furness and Puckett simply are, if not idiots in the literal sense, what I charitably might term low- to moderate-information fans who have a traditional media outlet.

- The further you get from Seattle, the more WSU becomes a solid research university in a cool, albeit rural, college town with a pretty solid Power 5 football program and good facilities, with that program having been pretty good recently (won the Alamo Bowl, went 11-2, and finished in the top 10 a couple years ago). The closer you get to Seattle, it becomes what has been described in this thread.

This! In SoCal when I talk to people about WSU, I get pretty much only two responses. Either they don't follow things outside the local area and know nothing about WSU, and admit it; or, they see it as an even more rural version of Davis with a PAC sports program and 4 seasons. Which, by the way, is a pretty nice way to view Pullman. Everybody down here likes to visit Davis.

Reactions: 425cougfan
It’s two guys were gonna be pretty pleased with. Good safety and good LB prospect. One forsure will be out this afternoon.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT