ADVERTISEMENT

Getting my head around the xfer portal

BleedCrimsonandGray

Hall Of Fame
Oct 2, 2007
I'm just trying to get my head around what is driving these kids. I've gone through the standard "reasons" and I just don't think they can account for everything that we're seeing.

"Wants more playing time" Well, lets see. You got recruited out of high school to a P5 program, meaning that someone thought you at least had potential. Now you've decided that, despite there not being any "writing on the wall", you're going to pull up stakes and move. I can't help but think of what Rien Long would have done had the portal been open, since he didn't blossom until he was an upper classman. Did he come to WSU entertaining dreams of starting as a Frosh, or was the staff honest and prepare him for the reality that he'd probably be an Junior before he saw the field?

"My coach left" - ok, well unless he's taking you with him, isn't the devil you know better than the one you don't? I get it if there is a extreme scheme change, but for the most part (excluding qb) everyone's job is about the same - run, block, catch, tackle, cover.

I guess the business model has changed to where the kids are solely in control of their future, but whatever loyalty the school(s) might have had to their athletes has got to go out of the window, at least if college football is to survive as a college affiliated sport and not an NFL farm program.

It doesn't help us as fans/ donors understand them since all these kids use the same boilerplate, full of shit announcements to proclaim their free-agency. It's be nice for some transparency - "I'm not getting the pt I want, and I've only got 2 years left. I'd rather play G5 or FCS ball than not at all, even if it means not getting to the rose bowl or (heaven forbid) NC." Or "I spoke with the new staff, we don't see eye to eye on my future, so I'm out." The garbage we get is so condescending, so... Beth breaking up with Lane Meyer because "I really think its in my own best interest if I went out with someone more popular." Get stuffed.

Last edited:
Possibly fed up with more Zoomathons down the line in class.

And what if their position coach was one of the staff who got the jab (Smith? Who else?) but not retained for 2022?

Guys like the Abdullah brothers would be your late bloomers in college.

Rien Long was playing and I believe started a few games as RS freshman. Starting as RS Sophomore and earning Pac-12 2nd team honors.

The more coaching changes you have the more kids you have hitting the portal. A lot of major changes in key programs this year. Lot at the pac 12- Oregon, Washington, USC, WSU, just this year alone. There are 28 new head coaches in DI football this year, that's over a 20% turnover, 14 were power 5 coaches, last year there was 18 power 5 changes. When staff's change players bolt. I think Biggs said it best a week or so ago, you have to give the kids a reason to want to stay. The Portal allows kids that were sold a bill of goods during the recruiting process a chance to leave, as well the kids that lost the coaches they committed to. So what it boils down to as coaches you not only have to recruit HS,JC and Portal players, you have to keep recruiting the ones you have, they have to have a reason to stay, you need to take care of everyone on your roster.

Not easy to manage a roster of 85 scholarship players and about 20 walkons, but the ones that do it best will have less players in the portal. Assuming there are 85 scholarships per school and 120-125 schools that 10-11,000 players on scholarshp, there isn't enough NIL money to go around, sure it can be an issue for key players, but only about 5% or less. Not discounting the NIL impact, as key players could be "stolen". It's why I hope guys like Lucas and Broghi are drafted high, "Look we got them ready for the NFL, the NIL money is nothing compared to that" or lets hope its nothing compared to that.

The more coaching changes you have the more kids you have hitting the portal. A lot of major changes in key programs this year. Lot at the pac 12- Oregon, Washington, USC, WSU, just this year alone. There are 28 new head coaches in DI football this year, that's over a 20% turnover, 14 were power 5 coaches, last year there was 18 power 5 changes. When staff's change players bolt. I think Biggs said it best a week or so ago, you have to give the kids a reason to want to stay. The Portal allows kids that were sold a bill of goods during the recruiting process a chance to leave, as well the kids that lost the coaches they committed to. So what it boils down to as coaches you not only have to recruit HS,JC and Portal players, you have to keep recruiting the ones you have, they have to have a reason to stay, you need to take care of everyone on your roster.

Not easy to manage a roster of 85 scholarship players and about 20 walkons, but the ones that do it best will have less players in the portal. Assuming there are 85 scholarships per school and 120-125 schools that 10-11,000 players on scholarshp, there isn't enough NIL money to go around, sure it can be an issue for key players, but only about 5% or less. Not discounting the NIL impact, as key players could be "stolen". It's why I hope guys like Lucas and Broghi are drafted high, "Look we got them ready for the NFL, the NIL money is nothing compared to that" or lets hope its nothing compared to that.
I don't think its just regime change driving these kids, its sycophants and AAU coaches telling them that they deserve more.

A lot of these decisions just aren't fully thought out. "Hey, I'm a star and I can take my show on the road anywhere and shine." Except your next school probably doesn't have a roster full of P5 WRs to throw to. Or a QB with P5 arm to get you the ball. Or a legit P5 OL to block for you. Or actual P5 coaches to get you to the next level.

Again, if all they want is to play 4 years where ever they land, then go for it. But I don't think that's the case - I feel like these kids think the grass is greener and that elusive NFL check is just over the hill at the other school.

Then again, I could just be an old dude who doesn't know shit who posts on message boards with a bunch of twits who would rather argue politics than talk football.

Not having to sit out a year is a big deal.
This was the big change and what allows the rest of the issues (NIL, behind-the-scenes recruiting of your players, etc.) to be as impactful as they are. As has been mentioned in the thread, coaching changes lead to a lot of transfers, too. If the whole Rolo thing had never happened and the season otherwise pretty much was still the way it was, with Rolovich still the coach, we probably wouldn't see most of these WSU transfers.

I've said it before, but I really believe that for a lot of these kids it is thrill of being recruited, and all of the promise and excitement that comes with the process. Once you are on campus, and reality sets in, most will realize that there are good things and bad things with every program, but during the recruitment, it is all bliss. Most of us have colleagues who are in that same mindset, no matter their age or profession. The grass is always greener....

I don't think players should have to commit to a program that is failing, but I do think the window for transfers should be more restrictive. One of the lessons from sports at any level is working through adversity. I worry that players are making really poor decisions based on the usual highs and lows of the season.

I’m kind of wishing I just wasn’t paying attention to it. Could you imagine showing up for the first game next fall not having paid any attention to the off season though? You wouldn’t recognize more than like 6 players on the team. 😁

“Why isn’t deLaura starting?”

I’m kind of wishing I just wasn’t paying attention to it. Could you imagine showing up for the first game next fall not having paid any attention to the off season though? You wouldn’t recognize more than like 6 players on the team. 😁

“Why isn’t deLaura starting?”
And if he’s not starting, what happened to Cruz and Cooper?

Reactions: Wazzubrooz
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT