ADVERTISEMENT

Gleason to be honored during in-game presentation...

britton ransford

Hall Of Fame
Oct 23, 2012
Cougar great Steve Gleason will be inducted into the Washington State University Athletic Hall of Fame in an in-game presentation, which will occur between the first and second quarters of this year's Apple Cup, Washington State Director of Athletics Bill Moos announced today.

"Steve is a tremendous Cougar and his induction Saturday night into the Washington State University Athletic Hall of Fame is well deserved," said Moos in a press release, which is linked below. "With a sold out Martin Stadium for the Apple Cup, I can think of no better setting to highlight Steve's accomplishments than in front of a fan base that has admired him for so many years."

Link: https://washingtonstate.rivals.com/wire.asp?SID=1089&CID=76189

This post was edited on 11/25 6:37 PM by Britton Ransford

I don't think Steve has much time left. If you can get there and cheer for him do it.

Kudos to Moos for recognizing Cougs don't even leave their tailgate beers until 10 minutes are left in the first quarter.

Steve Gleason has handled a nightmare situation with a level of class and maturity that many, if not most, could not have managed. In game is the right way to handle this recognition. Bill is human and occasionally messes up, but his batting average on major issues where judgment is required is pretty darned good, and this call is no exception.

It is a race to understand the causes of both ALS and Alzheimers & related dementias. The possibility that football may contribute to either or both also makes this specific recognition moment big, and Steve's effort to focus our attention on the cause in general rather than on him specifically promises to help move the ALS comprehension chains further down the field than most have been able to manage. This is an excellent way to highlight not only Steve's role in Coug athletics, which I suspect would eventually have been recognized regardless of the disease...it is also the kind of high profile moment to help focus attention on a situation that demands more, and quality, research. Kudos to Bill for seizing the moment. Kudos to Steve for the outlook he has maintained throughout an ordeal that none of us would choose.

There was a fundraiser (linked on this board) to raise money to help with the cost for his flight. I can't find the post, but does anyone know if he got that money? I'd hate to think it was a scam.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT