ADVERTISEMENT

Go Home Cougs

BleedCrimsonandGray

Hall Of Fame
Oct 2, 2007
Fix your fn shit if you want to exit the first round. Very easily could be a lower seed now that we're slumping, and as I said in another thread, get shipped back east.

Feels bad, man.

Fix your fn shit if you want to exit the first round. Very easily could be a lower seed now that we're slumping, and as I said in another thread, get shipped back east.

Feels bad, man.
Cougar loss protocol:

Step A. Drink too much.
Step B. Beat wife and yell at kids.
Step C. Drink more.

Reactions: Coug1990
that is what it looks like haven't playe a solid game since arizona

There has been 1,2,3 solid games by WSU since Arizona. WSU beating Stanford by 17 in PAC 12 TOURNY was a SOLID game.

Your EXAGGERATING.

WSU has been INCONSISTENT since the Arizona game.

There has been 1,2,3 solid games by WSU since Arizona. WSU beating Stanford by 17 in PAC 12 TOURNY was a SOLID game.

Your EXAGGERATING.

WSU has been INCONSISTENT since the Arizona game.
I agree. I also thought the win vs. USC– as well as the Trojans were playing at the time– was solid. It would be nice to get back to the consistent good play that we saw from the Cougars during their long winning streak.

Glad Cougar

They have been inconsistent in their last half dozen games but in that time frame they beat both UCLA and a USC team that was on a roll. The game last night was frustrating because they could have won but I didn't think they played that bad. Rice had a bad night. His 3 point shooting has been way off for the last 4-5 games but he made it worse last night with a couple of pretty crucial and largely unforced turnovers in the last 10 minutes. To say the least he is crucial to our success. Other than fans like us who want them to win every game last nights loss didn't do a lot of damage. Lunardi now has them 6th. I don't think that changes much regardless of whether Oregon or Colorado wins tonight.

Reactions: kougkurt
They have been inconsistent in their last half dozen games but in that time frame they beat both UCLA and a USC team that was on a roll. The game last night was frustrating because they could have won but I didn't think they played that bad. Rice had a bad night. His 3 point shooting has been way off for the last 4-5 games but he made it worse last night with a couple of pretty crucial and largely unforced turnovers in the last 10 minutes. To say the least he is crucial to our success. Other than fans like us who want them to win every game last nights loss didn't do a lot of damage. Lunardi now has them 6th. I don't think that changes much regardless of whether Oregon or Colorado wins tonight.
You don't think Spokane >>> Memphis?

That loss hurt.

Reactions: Coug90
You don't think Spokane >>> Memphis?

That loss hurt.
My total fandom assessment is that they are really having difficulty adjusting to the 'bright lights' of success...I was at the game last night--they were SO tight...perhaps some fatigue, too since generally Smith only plays 7 guys. As much as we'd all love to see them play in Spokane, that kind of pressure might not be the best thing for a team full of guys who've never been on this stage before...just my 2 cents.

I agree. They were obviously tight in the UW game. The combination of expectations, a huge home crowd and being the hunted instead of the hunters had to put a great deal of stress on them. Not sure they've totally adjusted yet.

Last edited:
It was never a guarantee that they would get Spokane and I tend to agree with Rich's assesment that they might be better off not playing in Spokane.

My total fandom assessment is that they are really having difficulty adjusting to the 'bright lights' of success...I was at the game last night--they were SO tight...perhaps some fatigue, too since generally Smith only plays 7 guys. As much as we'd all love to see them play in Spokane, that kind of pressure might not be the best thing for a team full of guys who've never been on this stage before...just my 2 cents.
Respectfully disagree with this. They went into one of the toughest environments in CBB in a huge game (for zona too) and were not bothered.

I have no idea what it is, but if bright lights and pressure were the issue they’d have lost that game by 20.

Rice not shooting is a huge problem. Big change in the dynamic of the offense when our opponents can focus on other perimeter threats and play off rice to negate his drive. He’s got to find his stroke again.

Turnovers have doubled recently over season average and 3 pt shooting has evaporated.

I can’t tell you why but, this seems to be the “what” that’s happened.

I mentioned this earlier after husky game but I’ll say it again: This is what happens when legs are tired at end of season. Team has played hard and played a lot of close games but it does come at a cost. Smith is paying for not subbing early in our few blowouts.

Last edited:
I mentioned this earlier after husky game but I’ll say it again: This is what happens when legs are tired at end of season. Team has played hard and played a lot of close games but it does come at a cost. Smith is paying for not subbing early in our few blowouts.
Bingo ... especially Rice . He really played a ton of minutes and Smith didnt feel comfortable taking him out. This is where the transfer from Kansas would have helped .

They work hard on defense . And Colorado gives us a match up that can play with our length.

And ASU came up with the game plan how to beat the Cougs... get the ball out if Isaacs hands asap.

No argument there. Mullins hardly ever played, but started much of last year. The sub patterns are odd too. I said in another thread - Cluff and Chuineylu played 27 minutes COMBINED. Their center played 29.

No argument there. Mullins hardly ever played, but started much of last year. The sub patterns are odd too. I said in another thread - Cluff and Chuineylu played 27 minutes COMBINED. Their center played 29.
So, the entire game was odd. Lampkin was destroying Cluff in the first half, and then CU never got him the ball in the 2nd half. IIRC he did get an early foul, but for a win-or-go-home game in a win-or-don't-get-an-tourney-invite situation I'm baffled why CU didn't just keep going to him all game. I assumed Smith was going with hack a Shaq with the subs to keep them both out of foul trouble, but they didn't have to foul bc CU didn't go back to him.

Imo, they've lost the "Cougs against everyone" underdog mentality that they seemed to thrive on earlier. All the great Coug teams of the past have had it.

Defenses have adjusted but suddenly we aren't getting 1 or 2 guys getting hot through the game. First Rice and Jones could carry us, then Wells, and finally Jakimovski and Watts got it going.

We are physically and mentally tired. Cluff got 2 shots against CU. Chinyelu has fresh legs. I think we have to go even more heavy inside and then out and obviously hope Wells/Jakimovski/Rice can see a couple shots go down and loosen the F up.

Defenses have adjusted but suddenly we aren't getting 1 or 2 guys getting hot through the game. First Rice and Jones could carry us, then Wells, and finally Jakimovski and Watts got it going.

We are physically and mentally tired. Cluff got 2 shots against CU. Chinyelu has fresh legs. I think we have to go even more heavy inside and then out and obviously hope Wells/Jakimovski/Rice can see a couple shots go down and loosen the F up.
There was a full week between UW and the conf tourney. That’s plenty of time for 20 year old kids to regain their legs. If they are tired they are going too hard in practice. They looked fresh against Stanford, they shouldn’t have been any more tired than CU.

There was a full week between UW and the conf tourney. That’s plenty of time for 20 year old kids to regain their legs. If they are tired they are going too hard in practice. They looked fresh against Stanford, they shouldn’t have been any more tired than CU.
Cougs actually played very well on defense vs. Colorado, so fatigue didn't seem to be a factor at the end of the floor. But it takes a lot of energy to sustain that kind of defensive effort over a game and I do think that affected their shooting. Also have to give Colorado credit for their defense, it was good too.

Glad Cougar

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT