ADVERTISEMENT

Gold

Ouch. Granted it’s the CDA press but always good to have him called out. It gets old hearing about what a clean program he has, OKGs, blah blah. He’s a crooked accountant/hypocrite always complaining about something he’s happy to turn right around and do.

I lived in Boise when he was coaching there. He's no saint...far from it. Glad somebody is trying to pull back the curtain on the great and powerful Oz!

He is a football coach. Football coaches try to protect their golden goose. You believe Leach would let Cameron Cooper transfer to Oregon State and be eligible right away? The "old" rule was if they transferred within the conference they had to sit two years. If I was Colson I would have been prepared to sit. I am not sure I have seen a kid just transfer to another team inside a conference and be granted immediate approval to play.

In terms of Hainor leaving, either there was dealings before he left with other schools or he is naive. I heard the interview on 950 a sports station in Seattle. He thinks he is Mountain West bound, and Fresno in particular. He just turned his name into the portal on Monday, and thinks by tomorrow he will have landed some where.

Who quits right before the start of the year? He wanted to preserve two years, but why would any coach want him for giving up on a close competition? Hmmmm

The guy wants to play. Why should he give up his dream and sit on the bench? loyalty usually only goes one way and the player or employee usually gets screwed in the total scheme of things.Most people here would probably leave their jobs if offered a much better deal somewhere else

Petersen himself told Yankoffs parents to go ahead and enroll, send in the waiver app and then it would be approved. Then, before they could even send in the app, the uw sent them a letter saying don't bother, the app will be denied.
Dick move if there ever was one.

Struggling with apples to apples comparisons? Heres the deal (as covered in the linked article): Colson was three on the depth chart and wasn't in line to get game reps until his Junior year at least. He was an underdog to start until his senior year. UCLA isn't on UW's schedule until two years from now. Absolutely zero harm in letting the kid play right away.

Leach actually did what you claimed he wouldn't when he granted Connor Neville an immediate waiver to play when he transferred. He was a four star recruit who got buried on the depth chart. Neville ended up at the original Last Chance U due to lack of interest. But he could have ended up at a conference rival because he didn't have strings attached to his transfer.

Petersen purposely delayed the waiver until after he saw where Colson transferred. Haener transferred because he realized it didn't matter what he did Eason was going to start and Petersen couldn't be counted on to so the right thing and give him a waiver after the season. Better to sit out the 2019 season and fight for a starting job next spring.

He is a football coach. Football coaches try to protect their golden goose. You believe Leach would let Cameron Cooper transfer to Oregon State and be eligible right away? The "old" rule was if they transferred within the conference they had to sit two years. If I was Colson I would have been prepared to sit. I am not sure I have seen a kid just transfer to another team inside a conference and be granted immediate approval to play.

In terms of Hainor leaving, either there was dealings before he left with other schools or he is naive. I heard the interview on 950 a sports station in Seattle. He thinks he is Mountain West bound, and Fresno in particular. He just turned his name into the portal on Monday, and thinks by tomorrow he will have landed some where.

Who quits right before the start of the year? He wanted to preserve two years, but why would any coach want him for giving up on a close competition? Hmmmm

Struggling with apples to apples comparisons? Heres the deal (as covered in the linked article): Colson was three on the depth chart and wasn't in line to get game reps until his Junior year at least. He was an underdog to start until his senior year. UCLA isn't on UW's schedule until two years from now. Absolutely zero harm in letting the kid play right away.

Leach actually did what you claimed he wouldn't when he granted Connor Neville an immediate waiver to play when he transferred. He was a four star recruit who got buried on the depth chart. Neville ended up at the original Last Chance U due to lack of interest. But he could have ended up at a conference rival because he didn't have strings attached to his transfer.

Petersen purposely delayed the waiver until after he saw where Colson transferred. Haener transferred because he realized it didn't matter what he did Eason was going to start and Petersen couldn't be counted on to so the right thing and give him a waiver after the season. Better to sit out the 2019 season and fight for a starting job next spring.

No harm? These guys are building programs. You really believe Leach would have let a QB with talent go to another Pac 12 school, say ASU or Cal without sitting out? Lets say Marquitter decided he want to play one more year and USC wanted him, He would have the coaches and AD's blessing?

The harm is it sets a precedent. The running back from LA who is buried in the depth chart but has a chance at say UCLA. How do you let Colson Y go and not sit out and the next guy has to sit. Peterson may have been ok with it, not sure why he would have been, but I would imagine any AD would struggle with it.

Sounds like Petersen told him he'd sign a waiver and didn't. That's the problem.

Maybe Yankoff would've gone elsewhere had he been told the truth.

Petersen's an @** but even if he or the UW were being vindictive I'm not really seeing the issue. Yankoff entered the portal as a normal transfer and has to sit out a year per the rules. If he wanted to ensure he retained his remaining eligibility he should have graduated before transferring. Anyone believe ECU would have given Minshew a waiver under the same circumstances? I doubt Bruggman, etc. were given waivers by us.

Anyway, just me but I'm not seeing the hardship or outrage here even with it being the mutt's.

No harm? These guys are building programs. You really believe Leach would have let a QB with talent go to another Pac 12 school, say ASU or Cal without sitting out? Lets say Marquitter decided he want to play one more year and USC wanted him, He would have the coaches and AD's blessing?

The harm is it sets a precedent. The running back from LA who is buried in the depth chart but has a chance at say UCLA. How do you let Colson Y go and not sit out and the next guy has to sit. Peterson may have been ok with it, not sure why he would have been, but I would imagine any AD would struggle with it.

Then he should have just said that.

If the Yankoffs are to believed, they got royally jerked around by Petersen and it cost their kid a year of eligibility.

Petersen's an @** but even if he or the UW were being vindictive I'm not really seeing the issue. Yankoff entered the portal as a normal transfer and has to sit out a year per the rules. If he wanted to ensure he retained his remaining eligibility he should have graduated before transferring. Anyone believe ECU would have given Minshew a waiver under the same circumstances? I doubt Bruggman, etc. were given waivers by us.

Anyway, just me but I'm not seeing the hardship or outrage here even with it being the mutt's.

The article states UW could have signed a waiver to make him eligible right away.

The article states UW could have signed a waiver to make him eligible right away.
Every school can sign a waiver. I'm pretty sure it's generally rare and almost always done because of some special circumstance (see Melvin Simmons years ago).

Are you saying quit the team and graduate, or stay on the team and graduate? Either way, his likelihood of playing would be very slim.

Sounds like Petersen told him he'd sign a waiver and didn't. That's the problem.

Maybe Yankoff would've gone elsewhere had he been told the truth.

Maybe, and may explain why Hainer took the action he did. I think Johnson Mack said the same thing about Leach and how he wouldn't sign a waiver, and I don't believe what he said was accurate.

Are you saying quit the team and graduate, or stay on the team and graduate? Either way, his likelihood of playing would be very slim.
Just saying the grad route like with Minshew is about the only way to currently guarantee you won't lose a year. He was rolling the dice that the UW would give him a waiver to get around the 1-year transfer rule. I do think the UW with their QB pipeline at the time probably was happy with him leaving to use the scholarship somewhere else.

**** move? Likely but isn't that big boy football?

Every school can sign a waiver. I'm pretty sure it's generally rare and almost always done because of some special circumstance (see Melvin Simmons years ago).

The waiver for immediate eligibility is a new rule for players who wouldn't get playing time at their current school. Melvin Simmons still had to sit out one year, just not two (which was the rule at the time).

Maybe, and may explain why Hainer took the action he did. I think Johnson Mack said the same thing about Leach and how he wouldn't sign a waiver, and I don't believe what he said was accurate.

Isaiah Johnson Mack wanted a waiver to be close to his two young kids and Leach gave him a waiver to go to any FBS school in the state of Florida and Georgia. Not 100% sure about Georgia. Kid ended up transferring to Duquesne in PA and then to Bowling Green.

He has been so awesome at Bowling Green that they moved him to DB. IJM's issue was one of work ethic.

Reactions: Coug1990

So, you support Petersen lying? Kind of explains why you keep propagating lies on this forum.

Reactions: WASH ST A&M FAN
Ouch. Granted it’s the CDA press but always good to have him called out. It gets old hearing about what a clean program he has, OKGs, blah blah. He’s a crooked accountant/hypocrite always complaining about something he’s happy to turn right around and do.

Unless CDA High has another blue chip considering uw, approximately nothing will come of this.

Nice to see someone call out Little Peter though. He has a lifetime supply of get out jail free cards with the Seattle media.

Then he should have just said that.

If the Yankoffs are to believed, they got royally jerked around by Petersen and it cost their kid a year of eligibility.

Ed has trouble with those little details.

The waiver for immediate eligibility is a new rule for players who wouldn't get playing time at their current school. Melvin Simmons still had to sit out one year, just not two (which was the rule at the time).
Doesn't the NCAA grant that waiver or does the transfer from school always have to grant as well?

I would expect Leach to do no such thing. But would also expect him to have the balls to tell the kid exactly that

If you have the means, make them defend it in court. There is no jury that is gonna side with the university and a coach making $5M per year.

If the kid isn't gonna be on the field for you, is he really gonna be the guy that beats you down the road?

It is petty and shameful for men making millions of dollars per year to impede any young persons future. 100% bullchit. Your family has generational wealth and you are getting in the way of a backup QB on your team just trying to play college football? Unconscionable.

If you have the means, make them defend it in court. There is no jury that is gonna side with the university and a coach making $5M per year.

If the kid isn't gonna be on the field for you, is he really gonna be the guy that beats you down the road?

It is petty and shameful for men making millions of dollars per year to impede any young persons future. 100% bullchit. Your family has generational wealth and you are getting in the way of a backup QB on your team just trying to play college football? Unconscionable.

I assume the rule is more in place to prevent the USCs from just poaching anyone they want off the Oregon States.

Reactions: CougEd
I assume the rule is more in place to prevent the USCs from just poaching anyone they want off the Oregon States.

Yes. It isn't unreasonable. However, what rule is in place to keep coaches from moving up the ladder? None.

If it were me... and Im a coach at, we'll call it Portland State... and a PAC 12 school poaches one of my kids.. ok fine. The kid left for a bigger opportunity. I am not in the business of holding young people back or impeding their opportunities.. No more than I want someone to do that to me.

So, I get on the phone with the staff at whatever school took my guy and I rip into them. It would go something like this...

"You blankety blank blanks. You blankety stole our best blankety player. You blankety blank blanks owe us. Yes you blankety blank do. So the next staff opening you have, guess blankety what? You're blankety hiring someone from my staff. AND.... who do you have that can play for us to fill his spot? We need a tackle, linebacker, wide receiver... "

The transfer portal is the new waiver wire.

Reactions: cr8zyncalif

You would have to make it past a motion to dismiss and motion for summary judgment before a jury considers the case. And the jury pool would certainly have a purple tinge to it.

Yes. It isn't unreasonable. However, what rule is in place to keep coaches from moving up the ladder? None.

If it were me... and Im a coach at, we'll call it Portland State... and a PAC 12 school poaches one of my kids.. ok fine. The kid left for a bigger opportunity. I am not in the business of holding young people back or impeding their opportunities.. No more than I want someone to do that to me.

So, I get on the phone with the staff at whatever school took my guy and I rip into them. It would go something like this...

"You blankety blank blanks. You blankety stole our best blankety player. You blankety blank blanks owe us. Yes you blankety blank do. So the next staff opening you have, guess blankety what? You're blankety hiring someone from my staff. AND.... who do you have that can play for us to fill his spot? We need a tackle, linebacker, wide receiver... "

I don't like rules that limit player's options either. But, NCAA football has a pretty stark talent discrepancy as is. Allowing the transfer process to become annual free agency could make it even worse.

Reactions: CougEd
I don't like rules that limit player's options either. But, NCAA football has a pretty stark talent discrepancy as is. Allowing the transfer process to become annual free agency could make it even worse.

There is a reason the NCAA has adopted the rules that it has. It is to protect the schools that need the protection. They don't want Oregon State, WSU, Arizona, Boise State, Colorado State, and others to be a developmental squad for SC, UCLA and many others.

Oregon State found a great running back, and I am not sure where he is from but for our discussion say he is an LA kid and dreamed of being a Trojan. He has a great year at OSU, USC needs a topflight RB and they reach out through back channels they would love to have him for two years before he turns pro.

Teams that are building back to get some footing, Ariziona, CU, Oregon State (WSU of 2012) they would be devastated by bigger schools picking off their talent. You open that door for Colson Y you open it for everyone.

Reactions: taf88

What difference does it make what a coach makes or has the freedom to do? Life isn't fair. It is not like when Biggs Coug signs his LOI he doesn't know the rules and the inequity. If you don't like it, go play in the XFL.

There seems to be an issue with UW QB's, it's one thing to leave because of playing time which is the case 99% of the time, but there seems to be other issues if all the QB's are in a hurry to get out. Sirmon was leaving that program last spring as I recall, and then changed his mind. He is now number 2 on the depth chart, and just 3-4 months ago he was working on the transfer portal.

So, you support Petersen lying? Kind of explains why you keep propagating lies on this forum.
Too funny. I don't support Peterson in anything. Oh please do tell which lies I keep telling.

I live in the real world. Coaches lie. Coaches tell white lies. They lie by omission. Do you really believe Price saw Trufant as a RB at WSU? He told him he would give him a chance, but knew all along he would play CB or not play at all. What about Ron Childs. He knew Childs was not a D1 Pac 10 RB. But he played the game. Cole Madison was not a WR. That handwriting was on the all.

Coaches tell the parents in the home meetings that the scholie is a four year agreement. The truth until recently it was a year to year agreement.

My point about Peterson is like with many parents they have 50% of the story correct. I don't know if Peterson promised and lied he would grant Colson a waiver to go anywhere including UCLA. As I pointed out earlier in the post Johnson Mack took to twitter saying he couldn't believe Leach would turn down his waiver especially after he was reportedly meeting with the Tennessee official. If I recall correctly Johnson Mack's tweet was inaccurate.

There seems to be an issue with UW QB's, it's one thing to leave because of playing time which is the case 99% of the time, but there seems to be other issues if all the QB's are in a hurry to get out. Sirmon was leaving that program last spring as I recall, and then changed his mind. He is now number 2 on the depth chart, and just 3-4 months ago he was working on the transfer portal.

Let's be honest. They made a bad choice going there in the first place. Might as well correct your mistake as soon as you can.

The guy wants to play. Why should he give up his dream and sit on the bench? loyalty usually only goes one way and the player or employee usually gets screwed in the total scheme of things.Most people here would probably leave their jobs if offered a much better deal somewhere else

You are correct, but Colson KNEW the rules before he signed with UW. Every kid knows the transfer rules. Hainer leaving at this point now makes perfect sense to me, he didn't want to get caught in the same situation and trust the UW would give him a pass to go to the school of his choice.

Isaiah Johnson Mack wanted a waiver to be close to his two young kids and Leach gave him a waiver to go to any FBS school in the state of Florida and Georgia. Not 100% sure about Georgia. Kid ended up transferring to Duquesne in PA and then to Bowling Green.

He has been so awesome at Bowling Green that they moved him to DB. IJM's issue was one of work ethic.

Wow...wait a second. The fact he had a work ethic issue or him not succeeding at Bowling Green is not material. My point of the post was he went twitter and said Leach was denying him a waiver. The point is parents and kids often have it slightly inaccurate.

"You blankety blank blanks. You blankety stole our best blankety player. You blankety blank blanks owe us. Yes you blankety blank do. So the next staff opening you have, guess blankety what? You're blankety hiring someone from my staff. AND.... who do you have that can play for us to fill his spot? We need a tackle,
perhaps because Petey has a crap track record for developing them. Browning went backwards. My bias towards UW aside, if I was a high school QB with my eyes on the NFL I wouldn’t touch UW with a 10 ft pole.

perhaps because Petey has a crap track record for developing them. Browning went backwards. My bias towards UW aside, if I was a high school QB with my eyes on the NFL I wouldn’t touch UW with a 10 ft pole.
Was it Browning going backwards or the correlation with the drop in talent in the receiver corp (and specifically John Ross, Jr.)? I wonder if the one area they have missed Sark is at receiver.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT