ADVERTISEMENT

Gonzaga: was anyone rooting for them?

ttowncoug

Hall Of Fame
Sep 9, 2001
I wasn't. The we won't play you unless it's 2 in Spokane, 1 in Pullman scenario was probably the kicker for me.

I'm not a Bruin fan, Blue Devil fan, or a fan of the team they played in the 2nd round. I wanted them all to win against GU. I root for 1st round exits even if it breaks my bracket.

Sorry, I was rooting for the Zags. Get tired of the same ol' same ol' in the final 4. The best team Few's had in forever. They really tightened up at the end of the game, and that's the experience, and the coaching.

Just cuz the Zags are bitches to the Cougs, well, that's not enough for me to root against them. It's not like they're the Huskies. Who I will NEVER root for, even if they're playing (insert pro team here).

I agree with SWD. Actually found myself feeling sorry for them at the end when they had blown maybe their best chance ever for the final four.

Gonzaga should be easy to root for and I know there are a lot of Coug fans that are closet (or out of the closet) Zag fans. I enjoyed their success for a long time but certain things started to wear on me. The end of the Morrison run, Blanchette and the Spokane media taking every opportunity to take a shot at WSU (some deserved) but having no balance with Gonzaga. Their fans at some point became annoying and I'm not a big Few fan.

Nope.

I Rooted for NDSU in the opening round in person at Key Arena in WSU gear.

This was their best team ever. Deep. Better than the Morrison squad that should've gone to the Final Four but gave it away to UCLA.

I've been telling my friends their best player is Karnowski (I call him 'Big Smooth'). I think the tournament showed everyone why.

Originally posted by ttowncoug:

I wasn't. The we won't play you unless it's 2 in Spokane, 1 in Pullman scenario was probably the kicker for me.
Nope, rooted against them in every round. The crap Few pulled a few years ago, that came out last year was complete BS. At least Sampson just didn't want to play them, he could have just did games in Pullman and not Spokane. It's the same thing he cried over that UW proposed playing the game at Key Arena and not doing a home and home with them. We've done a home and home with them since like 2001 and all of a sudden Few thinks he's too good to play us? Gonzaga is a cute little story, that has done a nice job of building a solid program in a weak league, but they will never be or are on the same level of the Duke's and Michigan States that they think they are.

Like you I rooted for them for a long time. Then I just got tired of hearing about them. Now I dislike them.

There was a time I used to like the huskies. Not anymore. There was a time I used to like Gonzaga. Not anymore.

I've always like GU hoops and have pulled for them and gone to many of their games.... (my fav was win over huskies), but I am also growing tired of them, and Few pulling the 2 for 1 all of a sudden, has made me cool on them.......

It's true, they are a big fish in a small pond. (WCC) If they were in the Pac or a Big 5 conf. They'd never have those gawdy records.... in those game they beat SF and Portland and Santa Clara by 5 or 6.... they'd lose those games in the Pac to superior athletes, especiallly the night in, night out grinding of better talent than is represented in the WCC.

They're like a poor man's Duke. Have a good record are in the NCAA every year..... but really, aren't we just becoming a little tired of them !

Go Wisconsin !!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT