ADVERTISEMENT

Good Read

Not that I’m a major donar (I’m a hair under 2000 on the priority points rankings) but I’ve never been asked to donate for an IPF. I guess they need to get the big fish in the boat first before they worry about the minnows?

Sounds like that is the plan. They also seem to concentrate on one campaign at a time.

Not to be a Negative Nancy, but the November 10 article (below) speaks to the $3.5 million LOAN that will be needed to finance the Baseball facility, and the $2.5 million yet to be collected to even get to that point. A little different than the quote below from the article above.

"Fundraising for the baseball clubhouse -- which will feature a 1,800 square-foot locker room, 1,400 square-foot heritage hall, pitching lab and much more -- is complete. The last step before construction can begin is final approval from the Board of Regents when they meet late this month."

The proposal referred to below apparently was pushed from November to January. So we shall see what is going on in a few weeks. And I get fundraising - you have pledges coming in over time, so sometimes bridge money is needed to finance those pledges until they are collected. But the fact remains that the money is not in hand.

And I still expect to get my brick in the IPF from the donation I made to it 15-20 years ago!!!

Lewiston Tribune Article - 11/10/18:
"A proposal to construct a $10 million baseball clubhouse at Washington State's Bailey-Brayton Field will go before a Board of Regents committee Thursday, according to an agenda posted online.

The proposal calls for a funding mixture of donated cash on hand ($4 million), money that has been pledged ($2.5 million) and money raised through the sale of bonds ($3.5 million).

The money from the bonds would be collected over a five-year period. So the project would require "some bridge financing to cover construction costs until the pledges are received." The bridge financing would come from "general revenues of the university," according to the proposal.

This comes at a time when the WSU athletic department is trying to shrink a budget deficit that is expected to grow to $85.1 million by 2022. WSU President Kirk Schulz has said that capital projects at the university in general won't be approved until their funding is fully identified.

To mitigate the risk of the debt not being paid off on time, the proposal calls for a "project checkpoint" of Aug. 1, 2019. At that point, construction will not proceed unless $6.5 million (65 percent) has been collected in cash.

The proposal calls for the clubhouse to be built outside Bailey-Brayton Field, on the third-base side. The Cougars currently have no locker rooms, meeting space or training area near the field, which requires them to travel between the field and the Bohler Athletic Complex."

The proposal will go before the Institutional Infrastructure Committee during its meeting from 1:15 to 2:15 Thursday at Room 208 of the Compton Union Building.

If you look at the money that KSU spent on athletics facilities when Schulz was president there, you know that he is big on facility improvements. WSU fans are a frugal bunch that don't just throw money around like crazy, but I expect that Schulz and Chun will gradually wear away the resistance to donating that we've seen in the past. Of course, if Leach can keep churning out the wins on the football field, that makes their job a lot easier. I hope that the people that didn't want to spend $3k to go to the Alamo Bowl will at least consider donating $500 to WSU athletics this year.

Reactions: taf88
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT