ADVERTISEMENT

Has WSU's start validated Coach Leach?

MikeFingLeach

Team Captain
Jul 16, 2012
For those that were upset with the progress through year 3, has 2015 brought you back?

If not, what needs to be improved?

I'm encouraged by the scheme and effort of our players. I also enjoy the new offensive wrickles week in week out. WSU is a football team we can be proud of on and off the field. The best part is many of our key contributors are underclassmen.

GO COUGS!

I don't think anyone was happy with where we were through Year 3 (even through PDX State this year), but I don't include myself among the "$2.2m club" Leach haters.

I am cautiously happy. While I'm hoping our current win streak translates into as much success as we've seen failure over the past 10 years, I'm taking a wait-and-see approach. I guess that comes from a decade of losing.

But I don't think going 5-2 - some of it on the road, and against such teams as Arizona, Oregon and OSU - is something that a "broken clock" does. The fact that we're where we are at the midpoint of the season says a lot about the new heights at which we find ourselves, and it's something I think few coaches other than Leach could have managed.

I was never mad at CML for his contract or the past 3 years, however we hired him as a head coach, not an O coordinator. We, or at least I, knew he could scheme an offense and make it work when he got the kids he wanted.

What I want to see out of CML is a respectable D (we are getting there - it'd be nice to average <30ppg) and consistency on ST. Those have to continue to improve for me to feel like CML is earning his money.

So last night I was listining to Seattle sports radio. Can't remember who the hosts were, it was around 7:30PM. They said if the COUGS go to a Bowl this year, guaranteed Mike Leach will be gone. They said it's almost for certain that Leach will receive offers from the SEC or the Power 5. I actually could see that happen, (offers that is). Personally, I don't see Leach bolting for a $7.0M salary, (maybe I'm in denial?). Yes, he loves the Floriday Keys, and Miami, Fl could come knocking, but I truly believe he likes or loves it here in Pullman, and an additional $5 million in salary won't be the tipping point.

Although, I have to say that I can see where these guys are coming from. Would you leave for a $7.0M salary?

So last night I was listining to Seattle sports radio. Can't remember who the hosts were, it was around 7:30PM. They said if the COUGS go to a Bowl this year, guaranteed Mike Leach will be gone. They said it's almost for certain that Leach will receive offers from the SEC or the Power 5. I actually could see that happen, (offers that is). Personally, I don't see Leach bolting for a $7.0M salary, (maybe I'm in denial?). Yes, he loves the Floriday Keys, and Miami, Fl could come knocking, but I truly believe he likes or loves it here in Pullman, and an additional $5 million in salary won't be the tipping point.

Although, I have to say that I can see where these guys are coming from. Would you leave for a $7.0M salary?
You are in denial. I could see him bolting for 3.5mil

Talking to keep listeners interested, classic talk radio. Honestly, its not even worth worrying about, nothing we as fans can do about it. If he bolts, he does and thanks for the help. You can't take these coaches on their word any more because its become such a big time business (5 pillars anyone? Yes, that one does irk me because I fell for it, like everyone else.)

Would I leave for $7M? I guess a lot of that would depend on where I was at in my career. I am motivated by achievement, personally, rather than money so it would depend on the program and their opportunity to win a national championship. Quality of life would also factor in. I would take less money to have a better quality of life, but that is me.

If we are to go on past record, CML asked TT for more money while he was getting offers; he wanted market value, which seems fair and equitable. Following that logic, WSU would at least get a shot to retain him for more money before he left. Would he stay for $4M? Who knows?

Last edited by a moderator:
7mm is a ridiculous offer. Any rational human would consider it. However, why would Leach leave when his players and system are starting to hum? Throw in a potentially special QB in Falk and I just don't see it.

Fyi, Miami has the worst facilities in the ACC and play in an empty NFL stadium far away from campus. Other than the close proximity to Key West, I just don't see it.

If it was me, i leave in a New York minute, to be truthful. There are many nice places to live and large sums of money allows one to enjoy the best,each place has to offer.

$7MM is Nick Saban/Jim Harbaugh money.

No one is going to offer Leach that kind of money.

What you heard was typical butt hurt Husky radio, talking every shot they can to tear down WSU, because it's what they do.

Well to be perfectly honest WSU isn't his home. It's his home NOW but he has a house in Key West. I don't think Miami would hire him because if I remember correctly they passed on him before when they hired Golden. So if they didn't bite then I don't see that happening now.

If Leach were to leave they would have to offer him something significantly better.

That means Power 5 Team
Easier Recruiting / National title implications.
More money.

If someone throws 5 million his way he will probably take it. I'm not saying that he probably doesn't love Pullman, but when you get an offer to double your salary and a "bigger" stage...most people would take it... Even Mike Price did it...

So I think he'll be here for a while.

Any Florida Job I think would be a threat to getting Leach.
I also would be very mindful of Virginia. They are an academic school and we know their treachery.
Considering how well that worked out for them in basketball I wouldn't hold them past eyeing Leach if they decide to make a move.

Maryland was also a job Leach interviewed at before us, and Kevin Plank has plenty of money if he decides he wants to bring Leach in.

So basically the 4 Jobs to worry about him leaving for are

Virginia - This is a scare possibility. They've had success poaching WSU coaches. They are probably going to be open at the end of the year.
Maryland - Plank wanted him once and they went another way. It won't surprise me if they try to Make a play for him again.
Miami - highly unlikely they already passed twice on him, but who knows they could circle back.
UCF - In Florida, but they don't have the money to pay for him so forget that.

Basically these are the 4 threats to take him away. He won't be going back to the Big XII, and won't be moving laterally inside the conference

Well to be perfectly honest WSU isn't his home. It's his home NOW but he has a house in Key West. I don't think Miami would hire him because if I remember correctly they passed on him before when they hired Golden. So if they didn't bite then I don't see that happening now.

If Leach were to leave they would have to offer him something significantly better.

That means Power 5 Team
Easier Recruiting / National title implications.
More money.

If someone throws 5 million his way he will probably take it. I'm not saying that he probably doesn't love Pullman, but when you get an offer to double your salary and a "bigger" stage...most people would take it... Even Mike Price did it...

So I think he'll be here for a while.

Any Florida Job I think would be a threat to getting Leach.
I also would be very mindful of Virginia. They are an academic school and we know their treachery.
Considering how well that worked out for them in basketball I wouldn't hold them past eyeing Leach if they decide to make a move.

Maryland was also a job Leach interviewed at before us, and Kevin Plank has plenty of money if he decides he wants to bring Leach in.

So basically the 4 Jobs to worry about him leaving for are

Virginia - This is a scare possibility. They've had success poaching WSU coaches. They are probably going to be open at the end of the year.
Maryland - Plank wanted him once and they went another way. It won't surprise me if they try to Make a play for him again.
Miami - highly unlikely they already passed twice on him, but who knows they could circle back.
UCF - In Florida, but they don't have the money to pay for him so forget that.

Basically these are the 4 threats to take him away. He won't be going back to the Big XII, and won't be moving laterally inside the conference

Don't underestimate how much Leach likes his "do as I please" situation he has working for Bill Moos. Mike Leach has job security at WSU that he couldn't even dream of at another P5 school.

Maryland may inquire, but their athletic department is a bit of a mess right now, I would be surprised if he wanted to walk into that.

Reactions: MikeFingLeach
Don't underestimate how much Leach likes his "do as I please" situation he has working for Bill Moos. Mike Leach has job security at WSU that he couldn't even dream of at another P5 school.

Maryland may inquire, but their athletic department is a bit of a mess right now, I would be surprised if he wanted to walk into that.

Yeah that may have been why he didn't end up there in the first place. Virginia scares me the most. They did it in the past and it worked out for them. The Cavalier are a dirty conniving school.

Yeah that may have been why he didn't end up there in the first place. Virginia scares me the most. They did it in the past and it worked out for them. The Cavalier are a dirty conniving school.

Kevin Anderson wanted Edsall the whole time. They really only interviewed Leach to appease Kevin Plank.

Virginia, meh. Not that concerned.

You were listening to the dawgman guys. Never ever listen to them accept for the entertainment. They think they know everything but they don't. Lil kimmie thought Oregon was getting the hammer and look what happened nothing. Leach is going nowhere. Moos lets him to whatever he wants and Leach loves that.

You were listening to the dawgman guys. Never ever listen to them accept for the entertainment. They think they know everything but they don't. Lil kimmie thought Oregon was getting the hammer and look what happened nothing. Leach is going nowhere. Moos lets him to whatever he wants and Leach loves that.
Yes, it was the dawgman guys. You have to admit though, Leach will get requests to interview.

I'd imagine he gets several interviews.

I also bet that another year building on this one gets him in the door for a few of the "A" openings, which I don't think happens after this year. And there are lots of pieces in place to do that.

I personally don't see Leach leaving. He's built this thing. I think he wants to prove to any critics he can build (and rebuild programs). The higher profile jobs, IMO, aren't going to want his quirky personality and demeanor. I also think he'll want to take a program that he can turn into a national championship caliber team quickly.

Yeah I think we all are in agreement for the most part that he more than likely won't leave.

And I agree that Moos is a big part of why Leach will be reluctant to leave. Having an AD like Moos is really rare.

As to the interviews part...I think people will inquire about it for sure.
When a team hasn't gone to a bowl game in 10 years...and you take it to 2 (pending we get 1 more win which we will) in 4 years... that's a big deal to people.

It's not hard to take a school with lots of great recruits and win. That's why the expectations are so so high. There is no real reason why it can't be done quickly (I already went into Charlie Strong vs Harbaugh approach) Harbaugh when after the fast results (but could stumble quickly spending so much injury on Seniors while he gets more of his guys in). Strong went for the roster strip method.

So there will be people starting to ask about Leach, and the more successful Leach is the more people will come after him. That's just how things work.

I think after the 2016 season someone will try to make a power play for Leach. 3 bowl games in 5 years for a program that hadn't been to one in 10 years. Yeah..he'll be on people's list.

First of all the report you heard on the Radio last night was from the Dawgman crew of Little Kimmie, Fetters and Eklund. Every time the Cougs win a game, these guys have Leach going somewhere because they can't stand the thought of the Cougs winning, especially while the dogs are loosing. So there is no credibility to the report what so ever. They have said since day one once Leach starts winning he's gone, fortunately they don't know Leach.

Will Leach leave someday? Sure, I just don't think it is anytime soon, if he keeps winning he'll get more money, but it's more than money to Leach, it is also comfort zone, he has flexibility and ability to communicate. He doesn't have to deal with boards or politics, if he has an issue he calls Moos, or he calls the President directly, Floyd helped him with recruits, and gave recruits his cell phone number. I doubt there is another power 5 school in the country that does that. I know both he and E Floyd had a great relationship, and with his passing, there is a void there for now, but I do believe it is one that can be filled, but no one can replace Elson Floyd. So as long as he and Moos have a great relationship, I see this working for a while longer, the question is how much longer will Moos work. If this program is winning, you won't be able to pry Moos away from the job, football is his passion.

Also Leach has a personality that won't fit in a many of the big schools, they are looking for a polished CEO type of coach, he'd have to lose the flip flops and cargo shorts, he isn't going to give up on what he is. Secondly the big money schools are about power running and defense, that is not Leach's style either.

So in the end as long as Leach has a competitive salary, has the support of the President, AD, and the fans and the stadium is filled and keeps expanding Leach will be here. He likes building things, and he will never admit it, but I think Leach is a legacy person, I am sure if street, building and a stadium was named after him someday it would mean a lot to him, that doesn't happen if you move around a lot. Sure it's about money and winning, but if he can accomplish both of those at WSU, why leave when you have everything you want.

Last edited:
or those that were upset with the progress through year 3, has 2015 brought you back?

I'm speaking as one who would have preferred to keep the previous coach for one more year. I saw some improvement and believe that WSU, and most if not all schools, need consistency. I figured if the prior coach could hang around it might turn around. Also, the prospects of some assistant coach from another school didnt exactly fire me up. That being said, to answer your question what he did at TT validated him. When he was hired we got a much better coach who is goofy enough to perhaps stay around for a while, eschewing cash for quality of job (ie lack of bureaucracy).

I have complained that his offense is not aesthetically pleasing to me. It is still effective. The offense is much smoother this year. I still prefer defense. That is a personal thing not an indictment on the effectiveness of a system.

The uw just doesn't want us to have nice things. Oh, like say, a medical school. The phrase "whistling past the graveyard" also comes to mind. Seattle's radio guys are just telling their listeners what they want to hear. Annoying yet amusing and understandable. Are we surprised- or should we even care- what the Dawgman kids say?

The uw just doesn't want us to have nice things. Oh, like say, a medical school. The phrase "whistling past the graveyard" also comes to mind. Seattle's radio guys are just telling their listeners what they want to hear. Annoying yet amusing and understandable. Are we surprised- or should we even care- what the Dawgman kids say?
It's their creepy strokefest that got UW back on KOMO to begin with...

For those that were upset with the progress through year 3, has 2015 brought you back?

If not, what needs to be improved?

I'm encouraged by the scheme and effort of our players. I also enjoy the new offensive wrickles week in week out. WSU is a football team we can be proud of on and off the field. The best part is many of our key contributors are underclassmen.

GO COUGS!

Before the season started, I said that Leach needed to get to a bowl game this year because it was obvious that even the diehards were losing their desire to support a losing program. I'm very happy with where we are but until we qualify for a bowl game, there's still that slight bit of worry, particularly with our schedule. There are numerous examples littered throughout our history where WSU started out 5-2 (or better) and stayed home for the holidays. I do feel optimistic overall that we are in good shape though.

7 wins is my threshold to be really happy. Don't care how it happens, but that would really tell everyone that Leach is getting things done. A winning season would be a big deal for us right now. I have higher expectations in the long run, but it does take time to build up to the top.

As far as Leach leaving, some pretty good comments in the thread. Leach isn't going anywhere that would expose him to a situation where boosters are in the AD's ear. I would be shocked to see him express any interest in the mess at Miami. He might leave for the right situation and the right money, but he isn't going to jump just for cash. Personally, I don't see any school that has sufficient money to draw him away to get wet just because WSU qualifies for a bowl game this year. We went 3-9 last year and lost to an FCS team. Top level schools are going to want to see that become more of a distant memory before they expose themselves. They know how fickle fans are. Hell, KSU went 21-5 in 2011-12, was in the conversation for the Big 12 title going into the final game last season and their fans are talking about it being time for Snyder to retire because they are 3-4 right now. Arguably the greatest college coach of all time and a bad month is enough to get the fans restless. It's an impatient world that we live in.

First of all the report you heard on the Radio last night was from the Dawgman crew of Little Kimmie, Fetters and Eklund. Every time the Cougs win a game, these guys have Leach going somewhere because they can't stand the thought of the Cougs winning, especially while the dogs are loosing. So there is no credibility to the report what so ever. They have said since day one once Leach starts winning he's gone, fortunately they don't know Leach.

Will Leach leave someday? Sure, I just don't think it is anytime soon, if he keeps winning he'll get more money, but it's more than money to Leach, it is also comfort zone, he has flexibility and ability to communicate. He doesn't have to deal with boards or politics, if he has an issue he calls Moos, or he calls the President directly, Floyd helped him with recruits, and gave recruits his cell phone number. I doubt there is another power 5 school in the country that does that. I know both he and E Floyd had a great relationship, and with his passing, there is a void there for now, but I do believe it is one that can be filled, but no one can replace Elson Floyd. So as long as he and Moos have a great relationship, I see this working for a while longer, the question is how much longer will Moos work. If this program is winning, you won't be able to pry Moos away from the job, football is his passion.

Also Leach has a personality that won't fit in a many of the big schools, they are looking for a polished CEO type of coach, he'd have to lose the flip flops and cargo shorts, he isn't going to give up on what he is. Secondly the big money schools are about power running and defense, that is not Leach's style either.

So in the end as long as Leach has a competitive salary, has the support of the President, AD, and the fans and the stadium is filled and keeps expanding Leach will be here. He likes building things, and he will never admit it, but I think Leach is a legacy person, I am sure if street, building and a stadium was named after him someday it would mean a lot to him, that doesn't happen if you move around a lot. Sure it's about money and winning, but if he can accomplish both of those at WSU, why leave when you have everything you want.
Welcome to the Board. Nice first post. What took you so long?

I appreciate the pain of WSU's history, but since we're invoking history...

Has Coach Leach ever fallen short of bowl eligibility with a 5-2 start? Check, and get back to me- I see that as, like, a million times more pertinent, than something that happened at a school he had no stake in when the QB got injured and torpedoed a potential bowl season over 20 years ago. Right?

Greatest of all time? I don't think I'd even have him top 10.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I said arguably because I think he's in the conversation but always fell short of winning a championship. I would be ok with Leach getting us to 11 wins in 6 out of 7 seasons at some point though.

I appreciate the pain of WSU's history, but since we're invoking history...

Has Coach Leach ever fallen short of bowl eligibility with a 5-2 start? Check, and get back to me- I see that as, like, a million times more pertinent, than something that happened at a school he had no stake in when the QB got injured and torpedoed a potential bowl season over 20 years ago. Right?

Like I said, given that we have Colorado on our schedule and they stink and we also have UW who has the potential to be a mess when we play them, I like our chances of getting to 7 wins this year. Of course, just to be a smart aleck, Leach never had 3-9 seasons before he came to WSU and he is 1-4 as a head coach against Colorado, even when they sucked. :eek:

Like I said, given that we have Colorado on our schedule and they stink and we also have UW who has the potential to be a mess when we play them, I like our chances of getting to 7 wins this year. Of course, just to be a smart aleck, Leach never had 3-9 seasons before he came to WSU and he is 1-4 as a head coach against Colorado, even when they sucked. :eek:
Yes, everyone has caught up to Leach with Leach players/Dykes players> Leach with Wulff players.

Just to be a smart aleck, I'm sure that's cause of Leach forgetting how to coach, and not because a guy who can't get a paying job in college football four years removed from a P5 head job was terrible at recognizing and retaining talent.

These same little girls were tweeting after the PSU game that Leach had lost the locker room and that rumors of a mutiny were rampant. They are nothing more than liars. And not a single UW degree among them.

Greatest of all time? I don't think I'd even have him top 10.
Yep. I mean you have a guy coaching right now (Saban) who won 3 championships in 4 years.

And another guy (Meyer) still active who won championships at 2 different schools.

And at least one guy (Carroll) who won titles in college and in the pros.

You have at least two guys (Carroll, Harbaugh) who have built or are buildling dynasties in college and the pros.

You get to Bowden, Bryant, Hayes, Miles, Switzer...

That dance floor is pretty crowded to start talking about a guy who never won a title, never played in a championship game, and is not in the Top 100 in all-time winning percentage.

A great coach? No doubt. One of the all-time best? That's hard to swallow.

Last edited:
Yes, everyone has caught up to Leach with Leach players/Dykes players> Leach with Wulff players.

Just to be a smart aleck, I'm sure that's cause of Leach forgetting how to coach, and not because a guy who can't get a paying job in college football four years removed from a P5 head job was terrible at recognizing and retaining talent.

Man, you are nothing if not consistent. I'm happy with where we are and saying that I believe that we are going to finish well. I'm a little nervous because we've still struggled with finishing seasons well with Leach. I'm still happy with where we are. Don't get all serious and please stop with the Wulff stuff. You are trying to devolve this thing into a Wulff/Leach pissing match and that just doesn't do any good for anyone.

Man, you are nothing if not consistent. I'm happy with where we are and saying that I believe that we are going to finish well. I'm a little nervous because we've still struggled with finishing seasons well with Leach. I'm still happy with where we are. Don't get all serious and please stop with the Wulff stuff. You are trying to devolve this thing into a Wulff/Leach pissing match and that just doesn't do any good for anyone.

Says the queen of Wulffian knee jerks.

I'm not- and you're entitled to your skepticism. Keep pitching that season ending five game losing streak though. Really workshop it, I'm sure there's a Coug site somewhere psyched to hear it!

Yes, Leach did a lot of things he hadn't... by inheriting Paul Wulff talent. People want to keep ragging on him as though he "deserves the credit" for those failings, then I'll keep pointing out the logic gap that his failings- especially with this year happening- are the only years he had any association with Wulff talent. Sorry you don't like that fact.

First thing I think of when the talk of Leach leaving comes up. The one thing in play right now is that WSU is unfortunately looking for a new President. I couldn't imagine the dynamic would change and I do think WSU has that in our favor.

I'll also add to what everyone said on Dawgman. They are recruiting for the UW and believe the Seattle-area kids listening in will hear the talk and not consider going to WSU. Remember also Leach "interviewed" at the UW while he was at Tech. It was rumored he showed up in a t-shirt, board shorts, and flip-flops. Maybe more urban legend but he wasn't a fit for the UW and things are turning on the Palouse.

Anyway, interesting how a few weeks can change the mood. On some sites they were talking about how it was impossible to fire Leach with some saying they should fire him no matter what the cost. Three wins in a row will cange things up a bit.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I said arguably because I think he's in the conversation but always fell short of winning a championship. I would be ok with Leach getting us to 11 wins in 6 out of 7 seasons at some point though.
Better than Urban, Schembechler, Bowden, Saban...? That's ignoring the oldies but goodie (Bryant, Rockne, etc.).

Yep. I mean you have a guy coaching right now (Saban) who won 3 championships in 4 years.

And another guy (Meyer) still active who won championships at 2 different schools.

And at least one guy (Carroll) who won titles in college and in the pros.

You have at least two guys (Carroll, Harbaugh) who have built or are buildling dynasties in college and the pros.

You get to Bowden, Bryant, Hayes, Miles, Switzer...

That dance floor is pretty crowded to start talking about a guy who never won a title, never played in a championship game, and is not in the Top 100 in all-time winning percentage.

A great coach? No doubt. One of the all-time best? That's hard to swallow.
Urban kicks snyder's ass--UM has won big everywhere he's coached, from little ol' Utah (12-0) to tOSU.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT