ADVERTISEMENT

Hate to be a Debbie downer, but

froropmkr72

Hall Of Fame
Gold Member
Jan 5, 2004
is anyone totally underwhelmed or turned off by New Mexico State and N. Colorado? Northern Colorado? I turn them off every time I watch a Big Sky matchup. Those are two teams I have absolutely no respect for. Terrible forever.

NMSU is the type of non league opponent we should be scheduling at home. The fact that they’re back to back with Northern CO is what sucks.

The P12 needs to copy the SEC and schedule a cupcake weekend in mid November, just ahead of the rivalry games. It’s the perfect way to rest some kids and use the new redshirt rule to develop your roster.

Well Debbie, it wasn’t that long ago that we lost to Eastern and Portland St. We should not look down upon or overlook either of theses opponents. Go out and execute and fine tune for Houston and concentrate on getting Ws for these two opening games. Go Cougs!!

Well Debbie, it wasn’t that long ago that we lost to Eastern and Portland St. We should not look down upon or overlook either of theses opponents. Go out and execute and fine tune for Houston and concentrate on getting Ws for these two opening games. Go Cougs!!

And almost lost to Rutgers twice so I am not sure we should be underwhelmed by anyone.

is anyone totally underwhelmed or turned off by New Mexico State and N. Colorado? Northern Colorado? I turn them off every time I watch a Big Sky matchup. Those are two teams I have absolutely no respect for. Terrible forever.

Its not very good for ticket sales.

Reactions: Cougzz

I think it will work out well. With a new QB, a new LT, and pretty much new defensive secondary, a few cupcakes is what this team needs.

I think it will work out well. With a new QB, a new LT, and pretty much new defensive secondary, a few cupcakes is what this team needs.
Also, these are great games for kids to attend and become indoctrinated. Everyone is happy and cheering, the Cougs are winning by a ton, an overall great atmosphere.

Reactions: Suudy
These are the types of games fans have just been conditioned to accept.

It would be interesting to look at the entire college football season schedule, for every team, and count the number of games that are total garbage.

I've brought this up before, but if you're just Joe Blow college football fan, how many of Alabama's games do you think you would bother watching beyond halftime? A&M, LSU, Auburn and maybe one of Miss St, Ole Miss or South Carolina keeps it close enough to keep watching?

That means, basically 3/4 of their schedule is pretty unwatchable.

It's just amazing to me that the fans just shrug their shoulders at this and accept it as being ok. "Whatever gets us a championship, I guess."

Reactions: froropmkr72
You don't have to go to every game. It's ok. Other people can go too. People getting bent out of shape because they don't wanna go to a home game on back to back weekends is ridiculous. Don't go. They'll still play without you.

If it were up to me, WSU would play 0 non conference games on the road. I'd add as many home games as possible. It's about winning. It's about having as many advantages as possible. Ya know what happens if you win enough for long enough? You get butts in seats.

Imagine you're a SEC school. You open with 4 straight non conference games at home. Then your league opener is at home too. 5 weeks in a row on your home field. Awesome. Take advantage of every advantage you have. Especially if you're WSU.

Want to feel sorry for me? I'm spending over $3,000 to take my family (plus my son's fiance) to watch New Mexico State this week. My wife decided that, Gosh Darn It! We are all going!........and damn the expenses. The upside is that my daughter is going to take a campus tour while we are there. She's currently ranked #1 in her class (along with a dozen or so others) and should have an ACT score well north of 30 before she is done. I told her that she is going to need a crapload of scholarships to cover the out-of-state tuition if she wants to go to Wazzu.

Alabama also has NM State on their home schedule. It is not as if they do not play some good teams during the season..

EWU is a ZILLION TIMES BETTER THEN NMSU.

Portland St is about 25 times better then NMSU.

Northern Colorado:

EWU about 15+ times better then N Colorado.

Portland St is about 1.5 times better then N Colorado.

EWU, the year that beat WSU had the best FCS Player, that almost got to Championship game.

And that EWU team, would have beaten Ore St, Maybe Colorado, Maybe ASU.

Portland St was the 1st game of year, nerves, jitters.

It was also a DOWNPOUR, with about 29 to 33 MPH winds.

That was also Portland St's best FOOTBALL YEAR IN THEIR ENTIRE HISTORY.

So Apples and Potatoes errant comparison betwern EWU, Portland St, and NMSU, N Colorado.

Also that was 2,3 years ago. Its the PAST.

Leach will have team ready to play and win.

Also just because Fan's are looking ahead, taking NMSU, N Colorado for granted as a Guaranteed win, doesnt mean the players are.

Also even if the players, coaches, team were to be doing that, they could still beat NMSU, N Colorado by 79+ each game, as thats how bad NMSU, N Colorado are.

Reactions: Ffffws
And almost lost to Rutgers twice so I am not sure we should be underwhelmed by anyone.

Rutgers is a P5 Conference team, and a ZILLION ZILLION TIMES BETTER THEN NMSU, N Colorado.

They also won about 5,6,7 games, and either just barely missed a bowl game, and went to a bowl game.

Again Apples and Potatoes comparison.

Reactions: PINGDUDE4
... The upside is that my daughter is going to take a campus tour while we are there. She's currently ranked #1 in her class (along with a dozen or so others) and should have an ACT score well north of 30 before she is done. I told her that she is going to need a crapload of scholarships to cover the out-of-state tuition if she wants to go to Wazzu.
My son is in the same boat. Those marks automatically bring in heavily reduced tuition at WSU for out of state kids. So your damn near at in-State tuition right out of the shoot for three years. Now we just need more scholarships to make the whole damn thing free.

Is your daughter class of 2020? Looking at the honors college? If so our kids will likely end up friends. Or at the very least acquaintances.

Reactions: Flatlandcoug
My son is in the same boat. Those marks automatically bring in heavily reduced tuition at WSU for out of state kids. So your damn near at in-State tuition right out of the shoot for three years. Now we just need more scholarships to make the whole damn thing free.

Is your daughter class of 2020? Looking at the honors college? If so our kids will likely end up friends. Or at the very least acquaintances.

She's actually class of 2021. Haven't looked specifically at the Honors College but she might end up in an engineering degree of some kind. I'm hoping that there are some good scholarship opportunities if she does that. We've saved enough money that she can get a degree at the local WSU without any debt. Unfortunately, four years of room & board plus out of state tuition are about triple the cost for her. So yeah....lots of scholarships are necessary.

She's actually class of 2021. Haven't looked specifically at the Honors College but she might end up in an engineering degree of some kind. I'm hoping that there are some good scholarship opportunities if she does that. We've saved enough money that she can get a degree at the local WSU without any debt. Unfortunately, four years of room & board plus out of state tuition are about triple the cost for her. So yeah....lots of scholarships are necessary.
PM me if you can and I’ll let you know what we learned when visiting in June. We did the campus tour along with honors college and school of music visits. They definitely make it easier on out of state kids with great grades and test scores.

Last edited:
You should see gu's home non-conference basketball schedule (other than NC). It's pathetic but the formula works.

PM me if you can and I’ll let you know what we learned when visiting in June. We did the campus tour along with honors college and school of music visits. They definitely make it easier on out of state kids with great grades and test scores.

I don't have the ability to PM unfortunately.

The WSU Honors College is a fantastic opportunity for bright, motivated students who will take advantage of, among other things, research positions from professors who are willing to bend over backwards to help them and all kinds of opportunities for academic exchanges and prestigious post-graduate scholarships. Also, opportunities for pre-admission to WSU's vet school, nursing school, pharmacy school, and med school. They also have some interesting partnerships with the business college and engineering. (I am a parent of three grads of the Honors College)

Reactions: SDCoug
who cares its pre-conference, as long as you have one legit team before conference play it doesn't matter, alabama isn't playing a murderers row their first 3 games either

Last edited:

They are warmup games so the team can get all the kinks out with regards to communication and play calling. College football doesn't have a preseason. Consider this our preseason but it counts.

Reactions: KingTrump
who cares its pre-conference, as long as you have one legit team before conference play it doesn't matter, alabama isn't playing a murderers row their first 3 games either

They and their conference has a rep....there is a difference.

This is how you get a home game with zero fans in attendance.

Thanks to Bill Moos, Mike Leach, Dr. Chun and Dr. Schultz, those days are over at WSU.

We'll see Martin Stadium with 55,000-seats before we see it even close to empty for a Cougar home game.

Reactions: mikalalas
Thanks to Bill Moos, Mike Leach, Dr. Chun and Dr. Schultz, those days are over at WSU.

We'll see Martin Stadium with 55,000-seats before we see it even close to empty for a Cougar home game.

LOL. Maybe you missed the Arizona game last year? And guess what, that is going to happen again for the Oregon State game again this year.

And herein lays the problem, IMO. Too many fans don't care and just want the wins.

College football, and really all sports in America have become an ends justify the means industry. Alabama and Clemson fans don't care that 75% of their games are a total joke. Florida fans don't care that their team played 2 FCS teams last year. "Just get me the wins and get me a title". That's all fans care about. The process of how they get there, and the actual quality of the product just doesn't matter anymore.

That is a really, really inaccurate statement.

The WSU Honors College is a fantastic opportunity for bright, motivated students who will take advantage of, among other things, research positions from professors who are willing to bend over backwards to help them and all kinds of opportunities for academic exchanges and prestigious post-graduate scholarships. Also, opportunities for pre-admission to WSU's vet school, nursing school, pharmacy school, and med school. They also have some interesting partnerships with the business college and engineering. (I am a parent of three grads of the Honors College)

The Honors College is a gem that gets too little attention. Most of my favorite classes ended up being in Honors, and that mostly because of the professors that literally competed to teach the classes. Great folks. I have worked with graduates of most of the universities in the US, and what I was told on my first day at WSU in the big auditorium with all the kids who were getting the intro on Honors from V.N. Bhatia...."you will probably get out of it more...but certainly no less...than you put into it"; has remained true. There is no better broad based liberal arts education available, anywhere.

Reactions: SDCoug
And herein lays the problem, IMO. Too many fans don't care and just want the wins.

College football, and really all sports in America have become an ends justify the means industry. Alabama and Clemson fans don't care that 75% of their games are a total joke. Florida fans don't care that their team played 2 FCS teams last year. "Just get me the wins and get me a title". That's all fans care about. The process of how they get there, and the actual quality of the product just doesn't matter anymore.
that is the reality we compete in, we could schedule 3 top 20 teams , but then we could be ranked lower, not contend for a bcs spot, play in a less prestigious bowl, have our revenue drop, sell less merchandise, not get espn game day suffer poor attendance etc etc

on a positive note, tune up games serve a purpose and you want offense, defense firing on cylinders when conference play starts.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT