ADVERTISEMENT

Heisman???

Coug95man2

Hall Of Fame
Dec 7, 2011
So technically, he got their "Heisman of the week". But give him zero chance to go further because he can't maintain this momentum and he's being viewed as a "system" QB. I can easily see this team keeping their nose down and surprising a whole bunch of people this year. Their mentality is just different.

Hope Scott doesn't mind me linking from another site but this is… interesting.

They aren't that positive on Falk/CML/"system" but the one thing he mentions is something to the affect that Falk "can't keep this pace up", regarding the stats. While I hold no crystal ball, I don't see 10 wins in the 2015 year (their magic number) but I'm not going to count it out either!!!! This is the first year that I'd say is "successful" in over a decade, barring the 2013 season/bowl. And this year, I can easily see going beyond that.

So anyways… Falk has officially had an article about him… mentioning the word Heisman. And he's a sophomore…. And our Defense is so young, think what our team will look like in 16 or 17… or 18, his final year… I see a whole bunch of sunshine in our program because if our D catches up to our O, wow. Think of what the end scores will be.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...lk-washington-state-heisman-trophy-mike-leach

So technically, he got their "Heisman of the week". But give him zero chance to go further because he can't maintain this momentum and he's being viewed as a "system" QB. I can easily see this team keeping their nose down and surprising a whole bunch of people this year. Their mentality is just different.

They aren't that positive on Falk/CML/"system" but the one thing he mentions is something to the affect that Falk "can't keep this pace up", regarding the stats. While I hold no crystal ball, I don't see 10 wins in the 2015 year (their magic number) but I'm not going to count it out either!!!! This is the first year that I'd say is "successful" in over a decade, barring the 2013 season/bowl. And this year, I can easily see going beyond that.

So anyways… Falk has officially had an article about him… mentioning the word Heisman. And he's a sophomore…. And our Defense is so young, think what our team will look like in 16 or 17… or 18, his final year… I see a whole bunch of sunshine in our program because if our D catches up to our O, wow. Think of what the end scores will be.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...lk-washington-state-heisman-trophy-mike-leach

I was going to bring up the "H" word (superstitious) and what conditions under which he'd have a legit shot at "the H". Winning as many games as possible starting with a heroic game this Saturday would help with the "H" talk.

Reactions: Coug95man2
I was going to bring up the "H" word (superstitious) and what conditions under which he'd have a legit shot at "the H". Winning as many games as possible starting with a heroic game this Saturday would help with the "H" talk.
He could throw for 1,000 yards against Stanford, and he still wouldn't win it this year. He'd certainly be on the radar next season though, but I don't think he'll ever win it while the O averages less than 100 yards rushing.

Honestly, I don't think any WSU player wins based on 1 season. Our guys will need to have 2 consecutive stellar seasons - and 20+ wins between them - to have a shot.

The Heisman is only a serious consideration for players whose teams win 10+ games. It's a team award these days to the most high profile player on a high profile team. 5-2 is a nice story, but unless we get to 10 games, he's got no chance.

The Heisman is only a serious consideration for players whose teams win 10+ games. It's a team award these days to the most high profile player on a high profile team. 5-2 is a nice story, but unless we get to 10 games, he's got no chance.

I agree. The award is nice, but it is more of a publicity award more than earned on the field award. I haven't paid attention to the Heisman show in 15 years or so.

How time changes things! A couple of months ago we were all considering using our season tickets to start the fire in the wood stove. Now we read talk of the Heisman and even ten wins. Also discussion of which bowl we want to go to. Fun but don't forget: WE ARE NOT BOWL ELIGIBLE YET. WE ARE YET TO GET TO SIX WINS LET ALONE TEN. Let us get that sixth win and then discuss the options and possibilities.

You are right, though, in your appraisals of Falk's chances this year. Let's get that bowl game invitation sewed up and then we will see what Luke's junior and senior years bring.

How time changes things! A couple of months ago we were all considering using our season tickets to start the fire in the wood stove. Now we read talk of the Heisman and even ten wins. Also discussion of which bowl we want to go to. Fun but don't forget: WE ARE NOT BOWL ELIGIBLE YET. WE ARE YET TO GET TO SIX WINS LET ALONE TEN. Let us get that sixth win and then discuss the options and possibilities.

You are right, though, in your appraisals of Falk's chances this year. Let's get that bowl game invitation sewed up and then we will see what Luke's junior and senior years bring.

FWIW, I was just saying we would need 10 wins to have a chance. I wasn't trying to say that we would get there. Given where we are right now, our record will probably fall somewhere between 6-6 and 8-4 for the season. A huge improvement.

FWIW, I was just saying we would need 10 wins to have a chance. I wasn't trying to say that we would get there. Given where we are right now, our record will probably fall somewhere between 6-6 and 8-4 for the season. A huge improvement.
Yes, got it. Takes some pretty thick crimson glasses to foresee a 10-2 record or a Heisman to Falk as feasible. I doubt and seriously hope that none of us expects that to be other than a fanciful dream. Agree with you about the W/L projection and indeed that would be a huge improvement if and when it occurs. Just the fact that these scenarios can be discussed as a remote, doubtful and highly improbable possibility is a manifestation of that improvement.

He has next to zero chance for the Heisman until the cougars play and win on the national stage. What Falk has done, imo, is to "get" the leach system. He now can be compared to any of the TT Qbs, and it also means that the cougs can and will score on anyone. They should be favored in the AC, and I predict--yes you heard it here first--they will win 4 MORE games, and get a good bowl....

He has next to zero chance for the Heisman until the cougars play and win on the national stage. What Falk has done, imo, is to "get" the leach system. He now can be compared to any of the TT Qbs, and it also means that the cougs can and will score on anyone. They should be favored in the AC, and I predict--yes you heard it here first--they will win 4 MORE games, and get a good bowl....
Yeah, the article is pretty clear that 10 wins is the magic number. And I agree with others that it's a team effort, hence my comments about the D yet Falk for the H is the purpose of the post.

And I again agree. We BETTER BE favored in the AC. And we BETTER BE ready for a fight.

4 more games with a W next to the would be pretty sweet. Not counting those chickens, tho. After our previous regime, I'm going with CMLs concept... One game at a time

Yeah, the article is pretty clear that 10 wins is the magic number. And I agree with others that it's a team effort, hence my comments about the D yet Falk for the H is the purpose of the post.

And I again agree. We BETTER BE favored in the AC. And we BETTER BE ready for a fight.

4 more games with a W next to the would be pretty sweet. Not counting those chickens, tho. After our previous regime, I'm going with CMLs concept... One game at a time
Tim Tebow won it as a soph on a 9-4 Florida team, so there might be a little wiggle room...not saying Falk is going to be in consideration, but there is precedent that he COULD be considered if they can put up 3-4 more wins.

If you look at the Heisman Watch, no one from the west coast is even listed. Some WRs from Baylor, TCU, a couple of QB's, and their stats aren't nearly as good as Falks, and of course a couple of RBs from Ohio State and Alabama. McCaffrey isn't even mentioned. To clarify if you are from the west coast you need 2 years of success, anyone east of the Mississippi or from Texas only needs one year.

If you look at the Heisman Watch, no one from the west coast is even listed. Some WRs from Baylor, TCU, a couple of QB's, and their stats aren't nearly as good as Falks, and of course a couple of RBs from Ohio State and Alabama. McCaffrey isn't even mentioned. To clarify if you are from the west coast you need 2 years of success, anyone east of the Mississippi or from Texas only needs one year.
Unless he breaks a leg, I'd say Fournette should start dusting a shelf off to display his Heisman award.

The cougs need to beat Stanford before any post season awards are made. As it stands he will not be first all PAC 12 for this season.

Unless he breaks a leg, I'd say Fournette should start dusting a shelf off to display his Heisman award.

Yeah he will be hard to deny the award. The guy is a monster. I haven't seen a back like him in a long time. I think Eddie George was the closest.

5 games left. If he averages close to 500/game, and we win most of them he may still get an invite, as someone with over 5000 yards would almost automatically get one. That said it is unlikely he could win it.

Tim Tebow won it as a soph on a 9-4 Florida team, so there might be a little wiggle room...not saying Falk is going to be in consideration, but there is precedent that he COULD be considered if they can put up 3-4 more wins.

Forgot about Tebow winning it with 9-4 Florida. I suppose there might be wiggle room if the hype is enough. At the end of the day, as mentioned above, it's great that we can have these conversations. Because of the bias against the statistics generated by Leach QB's (trust me, it's out there), it's going to be tough to break through even next year, but two statistics jump out that will give him some leverage if he can keep it up next year. One is his completion percentage. Anything north of 65% is pretty damned good and he is at 72% right now. The other thing is the TD to INT ratio. He is at 26-4. That has got to be the best in our school history and ratio-wise it's slightly better than Harrell's numbers at Tech in 2008. If we find a defense and special teams worthy of the offense, he'll be in the conversation for an invite based on those two numbers along with the normal gaudy statistics that a Leach QB generates.

Reactions: kayak15
5 games left. If he averages close to 500/game, and we win most of them he may still get an invite, as someone with over 5000 yards would almost automatically get one. That said it is unlikely he could win it.
I'm with most on here, that the West coast "unbias" is strong. Unless you are U$C, you have to have a couple incredible team effort seasons before you're really in the race. He might get some talk this year but the summation of that talk will be, "He's a system QB" and he'll be gently placed to the side. So oddly Mr. Parker, we can win 10+ games in a season (you know, the stat that matters according to him) but it'll take 2 seasons to prove anything. And that will still put an asterisk next to it saying, "System QB".

The whole thing is pretty incredible, though. The only real point to me posting that was, How long has it been since WSU has had so many awards, accredited honors, etc. etc. And now, although fleeting IMHO, the word "Heisman" is being used in the same sentence as WSU Football.

We're movin' on up, baby.

Reactions: wulffui
I will add that a lot of the Heisman voting block will be watching this weekend because of McCaffrey. If he doesn't have a strong game and Falk does Falk will start being put on the watch lists.

I will add that a lot of the Heisman voting block will be watching this weekend because of McCaffrey. If he doesn't have a strong game and Falk does Falk will start being put on the watch lists.
Maybe. But I'm with the author of the article I linked, for the most part.

Even if we get the magical 10+ win season, I strongly doubt he'll even get an invite. He'll be talked about, he'll "be on the list" but nothing more. Next year, if things continue… look out.

Generally agree with all comments. Finish the year well, do well next year and then we can ask the guys in Dusty if we can use their silo again.

Rather surprised that Goff is no longer considered as a candidate. This is a weak year nationally for QBs but Goff has struggled lately. Would have wagered prior to the season that his name would be there. May not even be the first QB taken in the NFL draft anymore, which was a "lock" earlier.

Maybe. But I'm with the author of the article I linked, for the most part.

Even if we get the magical 10+ win season, I strongly doubt he'll even get an invite. He'll be talked about, he'll "be on the list" but nothing more. Next year, if things continue… look out.
That seems like plenty for the sophomore. It would be enough to land him on preseason lists next year, don't you think?

Landing on a Heisman list should also help coaches recruit a high profile skill player or two... maybe even flip one from Oregon or the Mutts.

Pullman is in the wrong TZ, and Florida had tons of notoriety.....WSU labors in obscurity.....a win over Stanford, and watch how many people start remembering there is a university in E Wa

Pullman is in the wrong TZ, and Florida had tons of notoriety.....WSU labors in obscurity.....a win over Stanford, and watch how many people start remembering there is a university in E Wa
Like I said, 3-4 more wins--which could conceivably mean knocking off upper echelon teams Stanford and UCLA--would attract a fair amount of attention our way and at the Falker, who would no doubt be putting up some impressive numbers to beat said teams.

Well paint me "wrong"… Falk has an official vote for 5th in the Heisman race… Impressive for our school, impressive for our program, impressive for Mr. Falk. Thought he would get some screen time but nothing official and now? It's official. Way to go, Luke! Go Cougs!
http://espn.go.com/college-football/heisman15/

Well paint me "wrong"… Falk has an official vote for 5th in the Heisman race… Impressive for our school, impressive for our program, impressive for Mr. Falk. Thought he would get some screen time but nothing official and now? It's official. Way to go, Luke! Go Cougs!
http://espn.go.com/college-football/heisman15/

Yeah I just saw that. That's awesome. If he finishes the year strong he could get an invite, but that would take some tremendous performances. This is awesome.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT