ADVERTISEMENT

Hicks commits

Or... And hear me out on this... You can spend that same time building relationships with coaches who are less hostile and more open to us. Develop ties in the deep south. In Utah. Texas. Ohio.

Honestly, Washington is one of the last places I'd focus my energies on outside of the once over.

Understood... and tell me why it is an either or , especially during corona ? I get once the season starts . I get once involved in spring . But they have enough staff even during those times to reach out .

Or... And hear me out on this... You can spend that same time building relationships with coaches who are less hostile and more open to us. Develop ties in the deep south. In Utah. Texas. Ohio.

Honestly, Washington is one of the last places I'd focus my energies on outside of the once over.

Are there that many coaches that are "hostile" towards WSU? I'm sure that because of proximity, most of the west side coaches are encouraging their kids to go to UW given the chance, but are they really hostile? I will say that Rolovich should have one guy who spends time covering, Oregon, Washington and Idaho and makes the rounds. Handled right, you don't have to spend a lot of time at any one spot.

I thought at one point in time, one of our former coaching staffs had been partnering with other schools on football camps. I don't even remember who it was, but working as partners with the enemy on establishing camps in different areas where the coaches work together is something I would be trying to foster if I was a head coach at WSU. Of course, maybe they did try that and it went to hell in a hand basket.

I would at least forward to 1990 when we sucked and couldn’t get talent out of this state . Unfortunately we had to settle for big sky talent like hunter, pointer, matt storm , Ron childs etc . So pay attention and fast forward to at least 1990ish

Hmmm. So, you're still about 20 years behind social media being the mechanism of choice to build relationships.

Are there that many coaches that are "hostile" towards WSU? I'm sure that because of proximity, most of the west side coaches are encouraging their kids to go to UW given the chance, but are they really hostile? I will say that Rolovich should have one guy who spends time covering, Oregon, Washington and Idaho and makes the rounds. Handled right, you don't have to spend a lot of time at any one spot.

I thought at one point in time, one of our former coaching staffs had been partnering with other schools on football camps. I don't even remember who it was, but working as partners with the enemy on establishing camps in different areas where the coaches work together is something I would be trying to foster if I was a head coach at WSU. Of course, maybe they did try that and it went to hell in a hand basket.

It's clear that at least the west side coaches look down on WSU. WSU is the second rate, safety school that should be happy taking Big Sky caliber players to make high school coaches look good. Some coffee cups of cash might make their way into HS coaches' hands too, who knows.

Ghobrial is the Washington area recruiter. One guy is enough.

Anyone who has actually spent time in sales...successfully...knows that there are going to be some customers in every territory that don't merit much work, because they are married to a competitor for some reason. But you also have learned that if you approach every customer openly & honestly, you will be surprised at some of the customers that welcome you and work with you, when the last 2 guys to have the territory told you that they were married to someone else. It takes a little time to identify which are which, but not all that long. If you simply compare the number of UW alums to the number of WSU alums, you realize that there will be more UW good will than WSU good will. But that does not mean that the WSU leans don't exist, and if you have a network of cooperative customers who can feed you information, as well as what you learn from your own research, you will do fine. I think we need at least one guy handling WA. Ironically, since everyone is via social media during Covid and face to face has been marginalized, one person is probably enough right now. But that guy is not a waste. Far from it.

Anyone who has actually spent time in sales...successfully...knows that there are going to be some customers in every territory that don't merit much work, because they are married to a competitor for some reason. But you also have learned that if you approach every customer openly & honestly, you will be surprised at some of the customers that welcome you and work with you, when the last 2 guys to have the territory told you that they were married to someone else. It takes a little time to identify which are which, but not all that long. If you simply compare the number of UW alums to the number of WSU alums, you realize that there will be more UW good will than WSU good will. But that does not mean that the WSU leans don't exist, and if you have a network of cooperative customers who can feed you information, as well as what you learn from your own research, you will do fine. I think we need at least one guy handling WA. Ironically, since everyone is via social media during Covid and face to face has been marginalized, one person is probably enough right now. But that guy is not a waste. Far from it.

1 coach for WA, OR, ID. Committing more is foolish.

1 coach for WA, OR, ID. Committing more is foolish.
Foolish ? Why They have somewhere to go this summer ? They have time and resources to make sure Washington is adequately covered . It’s phone calls now . They aren’t seeing anyone live . They could make 30 quality calls a day

Foolish ? Why They have somewhere to go this summer ? They have time and resources to make sure Washington is adequately covered . It’s phone calls now . They aren’t seeing anyone live . They could make 30 quality calls a day

It's foolish because one guy can make your 30 quality phone calls.

It's foolish because one guy can make your 30 quality phone calls.

WSU has 16 people capable of making calls to all of the state of Washington. . But feel free to lose out on the next Tory hunter , Ron childs , pointer etc cause the ground work wasn’t laid because you had better things to do during corona

WSU has 16 people capable of making calls to all of the state of Washington. . But feel free to lose out on the next Tory hunter , Ron childs , pointer etc cause the ground work wasn’t laid because you had better things to do during corona

Well, if we also lose out on the next Wes Rainwater, Aaron Joseph and Raymond twins, while picking up the next Jalen Thompson, Dez Patmon, Fankie Luvu and Hercules Mata'afa things will be just fine. That's really what the conversation is about, for those that actually pay attention and are not stuck in 1983-1990.

Reactions: longtimecoug
Well, if we also lose out on the next Wes Rainwater, Aaron Joseph and Raymond twins, while picking up the next Jalen Thompson, Dez Patmon, Fankie Luvu and Hercules Mata'afa things will be just fine. That's really what the conversation is about, for those that actually pay attention and are not stuck in 1983-1990.

Prior to the internet, it was impossible for us to recruit nationwide so we had to focus locally. Didn't matter if the locals thought we were second rate. With the internet, you can make 30 quality calls a day to anyone in the country, email them a slick video of the campus, and have the recruit on a virtual tour of Pullman all without having set foot on campus.
This works just as well on a kid from Georgia as it does on a kid from the west side. Now is the time to do a deep dive into plenty of places we don't have the time to mine for talent. See if you can uncover and form relationships with up and coming coaches who will send talent our way this year and in the future.

1 guy can make 30 calls in a day. It doesnt take 2 or the entire staff.

Those kids arent hard to find.

This is how you recruit WA.... Look at all the All League teams. Why? Cause if you arent All League in WA are you really a P5 player??? Next, look at their size. Are they physically big enough or could be big enough to play P5 ball??? Third, make your list and call coaches.

It isnt gonna take an entire staff to do this. It may only take 1 day.

Then go to SoCal.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT