ADVERTISEMENT

How many bad calls have cost us games in Martin?

ttowncoug

Hall Of Fame
Sep 9, 2001
1. I'm thinking of the trap pass that Arizona had against us. Can't remember the exact year.
2. The "back pass" (that wasn't) to cost us the Apple Cup.

I for one will take a "questionable" call to make up for the DOZENS that have costs us.

lately? Um I think not counting one of our TDs against Cal
I think the Oregon PI no call
Stanford this year with the non fumble call

there have been a few in the past for sure. We just need to put games out of reach so they are a non factor

Saturday's was one of the most poorly officiated games I can remember.

Seems like the Pac-12 officials aren't collecting quite as many pivotal blown calls as they used to, but the top-to-bottom quality of officiating is worse. There were an awful lot of missed holds, some very questionable downfield plays between DBs and receivers, plus the fifth down and the INT. The difference was that for once, WSU probably benefited more than they got hosed this time.

The fifth down was dumb. There's really no way around that one though, because I also don't buy the conference's claim that forward progress was stopped. Marks really should have just kept going on the play. The INT to ice it...from the replays I saw, it looked to me like it hit the ground. I was pretty surprised when they said the call stands. And then there was that idiotic 1st down review at the end of the 3rd, followed by the other idiotic 1st down review with about 1:00 remaining. Very screwy crew, I think they should all be benched.

1. I'm thinking of the trap pass that Arizona had against us. Can't remember the exact year.

I for one will take a "questionable" call to make up for the DOZENS that have costs us.

For me, the all time bad call was the backwards pass call in the 2002 Apple Cup that you listed as #2. That call cost us a Top 3 ranking heading into the Rose Bowl (not that it meant that much as it turned out) but it also kept us from being sole champs of the conference. It still grates that USC gets to claim a co-championship.

The other group of all time bad calls came in the game at Notre Dame in 2003. It wasn't at Martin Stadium but the "fumbled" reception inside our 20 and the "late hit" to the ND QB on the bad snap when the ball was loose were critical in their win against us. Even with the help of the officiating crew, ND needed OT to beat us.

Flat - probably #1 (if you rank the calls). Was just listing a few examples off the head.

And my criteria for the list, is calls that COST us the game. Meaning if that call goes other way, we arguably win.

lately? Um I think not counting one of our TDs against Cal
I think the Oregon PI no call
Stanford this year with the non fumble call

there have been a few in the past for sure. We just need to put games out of reach so they are a non factor

Was that the Wicks rush just before the missed chip shot field goal 2 years ago?

I watched and rewatched that play a couple dozen times. Even saw the still shot and I don't think it was a miss-call. Way, way, way too close to overturn had they reviewed it.

Flat - probably #1 (if you rank the calls). Was just listing a few examples off the head.

And my criteria for the list, is calls that COST us the game. Meaning if that call goes other way, we arguably win.
You mean in 1999 in Trufant's first real game that wasn't close to a catch. I would rank the Oregon call last year probably ahead of the 02 Apple Cup cause that is splitting hairs. But it would have been nice to see what would have happened in that 02 play if it was actually completed and Armstrong got Kai Ellis on the ground.

While not at Martin Stadium the Tennessee game in 94 sticks in my craw. I recall Ron Childs breaking through on a punt and essiantly get horse collared by the up back. He may not have blocked the punt but would have tackled the punter for a huge loss he was there so quick. No call. I think there were a few other nefarious calls that game as well.

While not at Martin Stadium the Tennessee game in 94 sticks in my craw. I recall Ron Childs breaking through on a punt and essiantly get horse collared by the up back. He may not have blocked the punt but would have tackled the punter for a huge loss he was there so quick. No call. I think there were a few other nefarious calls that game as well.
That Tennessee game was the most egregious example of homer refs I have ever seen. One of those "other nefarious calls" involved us punting, a UT kid dropped back and waved his hands over his head for a fair catch. Everybody slowed down. Then the kid took off running. The SEC refs just looked at each other with a 'I guess he changed his mind' attitude. We finally corralled him twenty yards later. That was the game that infuriated mild mannered Bob Robertson sufficiently to cause him to lose his composure and describe at least one play with profanity. Hands down, worst officiated game I ever saw. I know what you mean- sticks in my craw till this day too.

Reactions: Alpine Cougar
Kevin Gogan biting Junior in the 1984 Apple Cup turning a third and long into a 15 yard unsportsmanlike penalty and a first down.

Too many to count in Beasley.

For me, the all time bad call was the backwards pass call in the 2002 Apple Cup that you listed as #2.
This. As a high school football official myself, this call is especially bad. We have always been taught in clinics and other training that when in doubt, the pass is forward. The mantra is "All passes are forward except those clearly backward." The mere fact they had to huddle and discuss tells everyone it wasn't "clearly backward."

That call cost us a Top 3 ranking heading into the Rose Bowl (not that it meant that much as it turned out) but it also kept us from being sole champs of the conference. It still grates that USC gets to claim a co-championship.
It grates me to. We had the tie-breaker, and as far as I'm concerned, that makes us sole champs (same logic for the '97 season). Had there been a 3-way tie, perhaps between teams that beat each other, then co-champs. But since we ended up tied, and we beat them, we are full champs. I don't doubt USC or any other school would view us as co-champs if we shared the title with them if they had the tie-breaker, nor do I think we should claim a share of the title.

I know the thread is about games in Martin, but I remember us playing USC at USC, about say, 2005? Our RB was on his back about a yard out of the EZ, does a bit of a wiggle-worm into the EZ, and the officials call TD. It went our way, but it was a horrible call. Granted, SC was crushing us and the TD didn't matter. But it was a horrendous call.

Cry me a river. Is there any evidence that bad calls effect one team more than others? No.

We went to the Rose Bowl in 1998 only because of a bad call against UCLA on the play before the Bender stop. We tend to completely forget the calls that break our way. Sure, the Arizona call was bad, but Gesser had broken his hand. With Menckebaum at the helm the season was doomed win or lose. We lost the 2002 Apple Cup because Matt Kegel gave the game away with a late INT, also because he just couldn't step up and generate a single 1st down, and because he couldn't manufacture a TD from 1st and goal at the UW 1. Had the OT call gone our way, then what? Second and 11 at the 26! The pre 2003 Matt Kegel was still behind center for god sake (6 possession/15 yards of offense, 1 INT and a fumble, instead of two). Our defense wasn't going to stop Pickett from scoring forever.

Reactions: Orecoug
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT