ADVERTISEMENT

How soon could WSU start a girls softball team?

PeteTheChop

Hall Of Fame
May 25, 2005
It seems to be a really fast-growing sport that a lot of the young ladies enjoy as much as the boys do baseball.

WSU has done really well at times in in girls basketball, girls soccer and girls volleyball.

Any chance Dr. Schultz could set aside a little of the windfall to build a successful softball program?

It seems to be a really fast-growing sport that a lot of the young ladies enjoy as much as the boys do baseball.

WSU has done really well at times in in girls basketball, girls soccer and girls volleyball.

Any chance Dr. Schultz could set aside a little of the windfall to build a successful softball program?
Approximately never. And at the college level, it's womens.

Approximately never.

As far as not starting a women's softball program, is that because there's just not the interest from the fan base or administration?

Seems like softball keeps growing and growing, but maybe that's more of a thing in the so-called "Sun Belt States"

As far as not starting a women's softball program, is that because there's just not the interest from the fan base or administration?

Seems like softball keeps growing and growing, but maybe that's more of a thing in the so-called "Sun Belt States"
Pete, Pete, Pete. Love your optimism buddy.

1. Fan interest? Probably some. Administrative interest? I would would speculate that they have more pressing things to wrestle with right now
2. Facilities? None exist that I am aware of
3. Title IX? We would need to add a men's team in something to balance the ledger
4. Cost? You are aware that WSU is in budget freefall. Not to mention enrollment freefall

Pete, Pete, Pete. Love your optimism buddy.

1. Fan interest? Probably some. Administrative interest? I would would speculate that they have more pressing things to wrestle with right now
2. Facilities? None exist that I am aware of
3. Title IX? We would need to add a men's team in something to balance the ledger
4. Cost? You are aware that WSU is in budget freefall. Not to mention enrollment freefall
I think the general idea of title IX is you can't have more men's sports vs. women's. I suspect you could add softball without issue. How much would it cost? How many scholarships do they allot? Where would the field and facilities be? Likely would take someone who is passionate about this stepping up with the cash.

I think the general idea of title IX is you can't have more men's sports vs. women's. I suspect you could add softball without issue. How much would it cost? How many scholarships do they allot? Where would the field and facilities be? Likely would take someone who is passionate about this stepping up with the cash.
12 scholarships max for D-1 softball. I'm relatively sure that Title IV is based on equal scholarships between men and women, thus we have 9 women's sports (6 men's) to make up for all the FB schollies.

12 scholarships max for D-1 softball. I'm relatively sure that Title IV is based on equal scholarships between men and women, thus we have 9 women's sports (6 men's) to make up for all the FB schollies.
I think you are on the right track, but isn't there a small adjustment in there? I thought that the percentage of scholarships was supposed to be allocated according to the percentage of men vs women in the university as opposed to always 50/50. Not positive on that, though.

I think you are on the right track, but isn't there a small adjustment in there? I thought that the percentage of scholarships was supposed to be allocated according to the percentage of men vs women in the university as opposed to always 50/50. Not positive on that, though.
Yeah you may be correct there. Looks like WSU is about 54% female (varies depending on if you are counting headcount vs FTE, undergrad vs total, etc).

Yeah you may be correct there. Looks like WSU is about 54% female (varies depending on if you are counting headcount vs FTE, undergrad vs total, etc).
I believe the intent was to protect opportunity more than to truly balance the number of participants and scholarships. However, Title IX was just updated this summer, and it has been warped into something it was never intended to be.

We are shedding costs at every possible turn. There is zero chance we add another sport to eat up a shrinking financial pie.

We are shedding costs at every possible turn. There is zero chance we add another sport to eat up a shrinking financial pie.
I just checked my April list of AD staff to today's. Of course no change (deletions) of any Executive Admin, no apparent change to sports staffing, a couple of deletions in the lower ranks.

Pac-2? Definitely some names are gone.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT