ADVERTISEMENT

I hate this look

Fab5Coug

Hall Of Fame
Nov 10, 2007

This is a fan that's just making a comment on a player (doesn't think Molton is very good) and Sweet responds crushing the guy for it. Fan wasn't being obnoxious, over the top, didn't make it personal, didn't even @ the player.

Marcus Strong also chimes in ragging on some other fan.

Not a good look. I can't stand it when players start doing stuff like this.

This is a fan that's just making a comment on a player (doesn't think Molton is very good) and Sweet responds crushing the guy for it. Fan wasn't being obnoxious, over the top, didn't make it personal, didn't even @ the player.

These guys weren't around for the twitter ban. We might get twitter ban 2.0.

In fairness to the players, they do have a historical precedent. In ‘97 some wondered why frosh Lamont Thompson was starting. He pulled in three interceptions in the 1997 AC.

GOOD ON KYLE. HELL YEAH KYLE. TELL THEM TO GET BEHIND THE PLAYERS OR F OFF.

In fairness to the players, they do have a historical precedent. In ‘97 some wondered why frosh Lamont Thompson was starting. He pulled in three interceptions in the 1997 AC.
That wasn’t really the question it more was about why he didn’t start earlier and move Jackson to corner for Gibbons

Reactions: Coug90

Ok I don't do Twitter (or any social media). Explain to me how some random fan saying something makes it's way to Kyle Sweet and Marcus Strong? Don't you have to follow someone to get their tweets? I'm just so confused!

Ok I don't do Twitter (or any social media). Explain to me how some random fan saying something makes it's way to Kyle Sweet and Marcus Strong? Don't you have to follow someone to get their tweets? I'm just so confused!

There's an account called WSU WR. I don't know who it is, but he/she has a few players as followers. They retweeted the guy's tweet and included a couple players in the tweet.

Kind of a lame move. This looks like some fan, with a few followers, just tweeting during the game. Next thing he knows, he's getting blasted by players.

Not sure what the point was.

There's an account called WSU WR. I don't know who it is, but he/she has a few players as followers. They retweeted the guy's tweet and included a couple players in the tweet.

Kind of a lame move. This looks like some fan, with a few followers, just tweeting during the game. Next thing he knows, he's getting blasted by players.

Not sure what the point was.

So WSU WR follows the guy who said bad things? And that's how WSU WR found out about it? Or somebody else was this fan's follower, and they retweeted and WSU WR follows that person, correct? And WTF is WSU WR doing passing crap along anyway? And yes, what are the Cougar players doing on Twitter? Pulling JaMarcus Russells?

If I get a Twitter account (not happening) and tweet some stuff, nobody will see it until the start following me, correct?

Oh and the Jamarcus Russell thing? Per CNN, the Raider coaches were giving him blank tapes to review to see if he was really watching them, and he was coming back the next day saying he did.

Teammates sticking up for one another, isn't that what it is all about. Gundy was right, social media is destroying this county

Reactions: CecilYounger
So WSU WR follows the guy who said bad things? And that's how WSU WR found out about it? Or somebody else was this fan's follower, and they retweeted and WSU WR follows that person, correct? And WTF is WSU WR doing passing crap along anyway? And yes, what are the Cougar players doing on Twitter? Pulling JaMarcus Russells?

If I get a Twitter account (not happening) and tweet some stuff, nobody will see it until the start following me, correct?

Oh and the Jamarcus Russell thing? Per CNN, the Raider coaches were giving him blank tapes to review to see if he was really watching them, and he was coming back the next day saying he did.

I don't think WSU WR follows him. I'm no twitter expert either. Maybe he just searched "Darrien Molton" and saw the guys tweet? I have no idea. It wasn't even that bad of a tweet. Guy literally just said he thinks Molton might lack confidence right now, or just isn't very good.

I mean, where are we when fans can't even say that?

Teammates sticking up for one another, isn't that what it is all about. Gundy was right, social media is destroying this county

Reactions: SDCoug
To be fair. This is the Tweet. Seeet was responding to. WSU WR is sticking up for Sweet

I've no issue with teammates sticking up for one another, I just wonder why a D1 football player feels like he needs to respond to some random fan on twitter with 40 followers, who wasn't even being inappropriate in the first place. Doesn't that feel a little thin skinned to you?

The guy ended up apologizing, which, good on him, but is kind of ridiculous.

Last edited:
To be fair. This is the Tweet. Seeet was responding to. WSU WR is sticking up for Sweet

He was standing up for Molton, and from a guy who dared to suggest he..."wasn't very good". And, thank goodness. I mean, we can't have monsters out there suggesting any players maybe aren't that good.

I agree. It’s probably hard for players to ignore but this isn’t productive. Worry about your game not what some fan is saying on twitter. When you are an athlete on the national stage I don’t think anything good comes out of reading the sports section or listening to what some fan says on twitter.

Reactions: Fab5Coug
I believe this is Mike Gundy's opinion of Twitter

FartGuyFarting.png

Reactions: CougSinceBirth
I have no respect for fans who trash a bunch of young men who aren't getting paid with anything other than a scholarship. For anyone who says Molton isn't very good:

1) He's started for 4 years and didn't redshirt.
2) He's had two defensive coordinators who both started him.
3) He's been on teams with above average defenses.
4) Opposing offensive coordinators have had plenty of opportunities to isolate and attempt to exploit him if he were as terrible as everyone says.
5) He hasn't given up a touchdown since 2016.

I’ll just say that it’s better for our players to ignore the outside noise and just do their thing. Getting into the habit of arguing with fans is generally a bad idea and there isn’t a coach out there that wants their players doing it. As mentioned above, if Leach hears about it, his most likely response is a Twitter ban.

Reactions: COUGinNCW
This is big boy football. Top ten ranking. There will be criticism, deserved or not. What do you think is being said at Florida State?

Time to let some things slide off your back. The innocence is lost.

I have no respect for fans who trash a bunch of young men who aren't getting paid with anything other than a scholarship. For anyone who says Molton isn't very good:

4) Opposing offensive coordinators have had plenty of opportunities to isolate and attempt to exploit him if he were as terrible as everyone says.
Good points. Although that’s kind of what fans do. I agree it’s silly to rip on a kid who’s doing his best. And I don’t care who you are or what program you are talking about starting as a true freshman in a power 5 conference is impressive. And Molton was pretty damn good as a freshman to boot.

That said it’s fair to point out the obvious - Molton had some ghastly PI penalties earlier this year, and it was one after another. As a corner you have to figure that shit out or quite frankly...you aren’t very good. He had a good game against Cal and as much as he’s been called for being grabby he is always close to his man.

Molton had one long pass completed on him. No PI flags.

Odd time to complain about the guy’s play.

Wait a second. Look at the fan's tweet. He wasn't "slamming" Molton, per se. He wasn't going off on him or anything. The guy has 46 followers (more than me, btw). He had an opinion that was wrong, you bet! Almost a private conversation, as much as twitter is private. AND he apologized for it afterwards.

So now what? The players can be all puffed up because they showed the ignorant fan who was right?! "Showed him!" Nope. Molton is not a bad player by any stretch. But this still isn't a good look for the program.

Instead of being, "Hey asshole you know what it takes to do what Molton does and do you know his stats and did you know he's a good person and did you know I like him and did you know he's my brother and did you know I'm going to stick up for him?!?!?!?!" All they had to do was humbly, nicely give some stats. It seemed like the guy was receptive to the facts. Hence the apology. The fan wasn't looking for a fight, it appears to me. But the boys seem to have gone in with a fight in mind. That's where it looks bad to me.

I respect the effort that Molton puts in but I have to laugh a little at number 4 & 5. On number 4.....I'd say that we've seen him get exploited plenty in the past month. On Number 5........it's hard for receivers to catch touchdowns when he's tackling them in the endzone before the ball gets there. You could argue that a PI is better than a TD, but committing pass interference almost every game is not the sign of a good cornerback.

However, our coaches are not idiots and he's on the field right now because he's obviously the best option for the position. Molton is a far superior open field tackler when he is called to do it compared to Strong in particular. So, I appreciate everything that Molton has done, but I don't expect that we'll look back in five years and talk about how good he was.

Wait a second. Look at the fan's tweet. He wasn't "slamming" Molton, per se. He wasn't going off on him or anything. The guy has 46 followers (more than me, btw). He had an opinion that was wrong, you bet! Almost a private conversation, as much as twitter is private. AND he apologized for it afterwards.

So now what? The players can be all puffed up because they showed the ignorant fan who was right?! "Showed him!" Nope. Molton is not a bad player by any stretch. But this still isn't a good look for the program.

Instead of being, "Hey asshole you know what it takes to do what Molton does and do you know his stats and did you know he's a good person and did you know I like him and did you know he's my brother and did you know I'm going to stick up for him?!?!?!?!" All they had to do was humbly, nicely give some stats. It seemed like the guy was receptive to the facts. Hence the apology. The fan wasn't looking for a fight, it appears to me. But the boys seem to have gone in with a fight in mind. That's where it looks bad to me.
I go back to my opinion that Sweet's tweet (say that fast four times) was probably not intended for the fan per se, but for Molton and other Cougar teammates. It's not like Sweet or any other players have made it a habit to go after a fan's opinion. Personally, I would prefer the players ignore social media but that's impossible in today's society.

Glad Cougar

Obviously my subjective opinion, but I wouldn't call simply stating Molton might "lack confidence", or "isn't very good" is exactly "trashing" him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT