ADVERTISEMENT

I think the offense is better next year

There were receivers open all day today. Gordon’s biggest problem was holding onto the ball too long. The dink and dunk was there, but he got impatient.
Were you at the game? TV rarely will give you a view that shows who is open.

You have to get longer. 6’3”, unless you run really really well, isnt big enough. They need to get frames on the DL and grow them.

The kid from Indiana I like. He can run.
We're not going for all world, NFL talent (though that would be nice...). We just need serviceable to the point that they can actually fulfill the expectations of the position. I've seen 6' NT's fill that role, but they have to be 300#. Its a non-starter.

We're not going for all world, NFL talent (though that would be nice...). We just need serviceable to the point that they can actually fulfill the expectations of the position. I've seen 6' NT's fill that role, but they have to be 300#. Its a non-starter.

If you want them to take on blocks you gotta have beef. If you want them to run thru gaps you gotta have speed. No size and no speed equals run over.

Reactions: metprof
Delaura leading is currently killing it in the Hawaii Open Championship. Up 31-6 at half over #3 Kahuko. Love how the kid celebrates with whoever scores the td...

Harris is a good return man. ST should be fine.
Yes, the offensive side seems to be the easy part. The question is, will we field a unit that isn't allowing them to flip the field constantly, or take free points in a close game? We hope so.

Delaura leading is currently killing it in the Hawaii Open Championship. Up 31-6 at half over #3 Kahuko. Love how the kid celebrates with whoever scores the td...

As much as I want to see the Cougs hand off the ball more, it may be more important to have a QB who can scramble as well as pass.
Time and time again the Cougs send players downfield and the back or backs out to the flat. A delayed QB draw has to be available is nobody is open.

As much as I want to see the Cougs hand off the ball more, it may be more important to have a QB who can scramble as well as pass.
Time and time again the Cougs send players downfield and the back or backs out to the flat. A delayed QB draw has to be available is nobody is open.

It would shred the defense. Completely change the way teams played WSU.

Minshew is very elusive and has great pocket presence. Gordon has none. The Hawaii committ would be great, if he would stay committed.

Is it really that AG is scared to throw downfield? Or is it tough to throw downfield when everyone beyond the LOS is in double coverage because they're getting pressure with 3?

If youre a DC.... take away everything deep... defend everything medium.... let them have anything short.... you can tackle short and medium... getting beat deep is 6 points.

The deep pass isnt open because the defense has the numbers to spare.

Any guesses on how you get the defense to add more guys to the front of the defense???

Is it really that AG is scared to throw downfield? Or is it tough to throw downfield when everyone beyond the LOS is in double coverage because they're getting pressure with 3?

Yes. UW played with two deep safeties, dropped clogged the middle level with 6 and were able to get pressure with 3. A scrambling QB is still going to be faced with defenders 3-4 yards off the line of scrimmage. We simply lost too many 1-1 match ups. It doesn't matter what scheme you run if you can't win those battles.

If youre a DC.... take away everything deep... defend everything medium.... let them have anything short.... you can tackle short and medium... getting beat deep is 6 points.

The deep pass isnt open because the defense has the numbers to spare.

Any guesses on how you get the defense to add more guys to the front of the defense???
1. Ten men on the OL
2. Profit

1. Ten men on the OL
2. Profit

I would love to see a double TE formation with extra OL..... or fullhouse backfield on the goaline with MB and DL..... or just an extra tackle with Patmon as a wing..... or pistol..... or stack I with AG under center..... or something, anything that makes the defense think....

for one simple reason, a junior Borghi is going to get running plays called a lot more.

Cooper or whoever the qb is, I really doubt is going to refuse check down to the run in obvious running situations.
I think you’re wrong.
We lose 2 from the OL, including a veteran center. We lose our most productive 2 receivers. We’ll be starting a green QB again, and barring another grad transfer it’ll be an underclassman with zero game experience. Any one of those things is a concern, combined they’re a real problem.

No, the offense will take a step back, maybe a big one. The D is 2 years from being average, unless they get significant and immediate JC help. A lot can change over 12 months, but right now I really don’t see any reason to expect a 6th straight bowl season.

that is the beauty of Jayden DeLaura. Dual threat but you don't have to sacrifice any accuracy or arm strength.
I understand what Biggs and them are saying, I just don't understand the pining for it cause it aint happening. I'm perfectly fine riding with this particular handicap. I'm in the camp that schools like WSU are much better off being on one end of the spectrum or the other when it comes to scheme. We're never gonna have the players to be balanced and win games.
I do think a legit dual threat QB is the one change that CAN happen to add an extra element to the offense for those teams that have the players to execute that defense. It would probably even be pretty effective to have a dual threat that just came in for certain situations like Hill from BYU does in New Orleans. A guy that still maintained the threat to throw, but forces the defense to come out of that super dime package.

Reciever depth wont be a problem, and Leach has been good at developing O lineman and plugging them in and they usually play well as a unit, I think those two areas will be fine.

The real point is the qb, I really doubt an underclassmen is going to avoid checking to the run like Gordon did, with a talented upperclassmen back like Borghi. Gordon was a first year starter, well the next qb will be a first year starter also. A system qb is what Leachs qbs get tagged with, but historically theres some truth in that. Whoever he has plugged in has been good going way back. His first year here was the exception-because they hadn't spent a year holding the clipboard studying the offense.

I think our offense has more timely running next year, and the qb may see the whole field not just one side of it. I think the offense will be somewhat better but the defense is where the crux of the matter is.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT