ADVERTISEMENT

I think the offense is better next year

royhobbs2

Team Captain
Nov 15, 2019
for one simple reason, a junior Borghi is going to get running plays called a lot more.

Cooper or whoever the qb is, I really doubt is going to refuse check down to the run in obvious running situations.

Is there a running qb coming? New coach???

Otherwise I have a hard time seeing anything different.

Maybe MB demands the ball??? Literally rips the qbs ass for not calling his number???

Reactions: random soul
The annual "UW drubbing" always seems to feature "rush 3, drop 8, Cougs fail to run the ball". We actually had a drive or two where we woke up and called the run, but then we went away from it. Particularly in the red zone. Sigh....

Agree that we are probably better next year. Borghi is one reason; a better D is another. If we have kickers, then we should be better. Gordon is better than average, but his interception decisions were something he could never get under control.

How are we going to have a better defense? Theoretically, maybe. But Leach just booted three DBs off the team, for starters. It's not like we have 4-stars lurching in the trenches.

And Blake Mazza is one of the top kickers in the country. So, you lost me on your "if we have kickers" comment.

"If Leach decides to take the Apple Cup seriously after eight years," I could get behind.

How are we going to have a better defense? Theoretically, maybe. But Leach just booted three DBs off the team, for starters. It's not like we have 4-stars lurching in the trenches.

And Blake Mazza is one of the top kickers in the country. So, you lost me on your "if we have kickers" comment.

"If Leach decides to take the Apple Cup seriously after eight years," I could get behind.
This is what I wonder. ST has actually been pretty respectable this year, even outside of the FG game. Will that hold up next year? It's not the norm at WSU.

And it seems like the D couldn't get worse, but what reason do we have to believe it will get better? And does "better" mean we only give up 35 PPG in conference (it's 37 currently)?

On offense, we could have peak Adrian Peterson back there but it won't matter if we don't even try to establish the run game.

You have Borghi and McIntosh in your backfield. WRs all over the field. They purposely sat Calvin Jackson today to save his shirt.

The defense simply has to get better with a real DC and not the patchwork job we saw after Claeys blew town. We need a strong recruiter and one who can maximize productivity from the two and three stars.

Say what you want about Jimmy Lake, but the results are what they are vs. our team.

Reactions: WindyCityCoug
You have Borghi and McIntosh in your backfield. WRs all over the field. They purposely sat Calvin Jackson today to save his shirt.

The defense simply has to get better with a real DC and not the patchwork job we saw after Claeys blew town. We need a strong recruiter and one who can maximize productivity from the two and three stars.

Say what you want about Jimmy Lake, but the results are what they are vs. our team.
People here bagging on Jimmy Lake can GTFO. People should be embarrassed that the dude puts together an NFL highlight reel every November against us, not dogging him behind his back

We've lost the same middleweight UFC fight every year for 7 years because we had a good wrestling game and somehow think we never have to get serious about learning to box like our opponent.

Jimmy Lake is a douche canoe with a punchable face.

However, it shouldn't be this hard to figure out what he's doing...the same thing every year.

Reactions: BiggsCoug
Is saying, "Jimmy Lake has a mixed record in his bowl games" a satisfying fallback position for any WSU fan who just got his dick knocked in the dirt for the 7th straight year? It's deeply unsatisfying for me.

The offense may be more balanced next year but it will still be a pass first offense by a good percentage. A more balanced offense would be a better offense in my opinion as it keeps the defense off the field more.
Defense can't be much worse but hopefully there is a significant improvement there once a DC is found.

Here is the schedule for next year. Never too early to speculate on the wins and losses.

2020 Washington State football schedule

Dates to be determined

Out of Conference schedule

At Utah State

vs Houston Cougars

vs Idaho Vandals

Conference Schedule

Away games

At Colorado

At Oregon State

At Stanford

At UCLA

Home Games

Arizona State

California

Oregon

Utah

Washington

The offense may be more balanced next year but it will still be a pass first offense by a good percentage. A more balanced offense would be a better offense in my opinion as it keeps the defense off the field more.
Defense can't be much worse but hopefully there is a significant improvement there once a DC is found.

Here is the schedule for next year. Never too early to speculate on the wins and losses.

Dates to be determined

At Utah State

vs Houston Cougars

vs Idaho Vandals

Conference Schedule

Away games

At Colorado

At Oregon State

At Stanford

At UCLA

Home Games

Arizona State

California

Oregon

Utah

Washington
I’m gonna let this turd finish spinning around the bowl before thinking about next years’ bowel movement

Dates to be determined

At Utah State

vs Houston Cougars

vs Idaho Vandals

Conference Schedule

Away games

At Colorado

At Oregon State

At Stanford

At UCLA

Home Games

Arizona State

California

Oregon

Utah

Washington
That is actually an EXTREMELY favorable schedule. There is literally not one home/away I would flip. Still don't love Houston with Holgorsen, even at home, but the other two appear to be gimmes.

Honestly, if you can't cash that in for at least 9, do you even lift bro?

as I mentioned, according to long time air raid/texas tech fans, the decision to call a running play is always on the qb, I think we get addition by subtraction here. Running plays get called when they should and the left side of the field gets attacked as often as the right.

a little less ego at qb and more team work. It doesn't make sense that the same offense hummed along without sputtering last year and now is so one dimensional. Cooper wont be Minshew, but ill bet he has a bit of humility.

as I mentioned, according to long time air raid/texas tech fans, the decision to call a running play is always on the qb, I think we get addition by subtraction here. Running plays get called when they should and the left side of the field gets attacked as often as the right.

a little less ego at qb and more team work. It doesn't make sense that the same offense hummed along without sputtering last year and now is so one dimensional. Cooper wont be Minshew, but ill bet he has a bit of humility.

For $4,000,000 per year Leach should be calling plays and not leaving it up to a college kid.

What would Urban Meyer do? Would he let the kid keep calling losers? Or would he step in?

What would Saban do? Would he let the kid keep calling losers? Or would he take the play calling back?

If the wide receivers fumble 6 times, would Bobby Bowden keep giving them the ball? Or would he run it and take it away from them?

Leach is 75% good coach. The 25% remaining is where league titles, playoff bids, national titles are found. His lack of attention to detail, stubbornness with his scheme, zero creativity all add up to never getting over the hump.

Reactions: Fab5Coug
Jayden DeLaura I really feel has a legit chance of winning the job next year. I know history of young qbs with Leach are not on his side, but I don't think Leach is high on Cooper. Several times Leach has mentioned Aaron Angelos as being the best QB on TNF. Plus Delaura can really run. How do you beat a team that rushes 3, besides running with a rb.....a QB who can actually run and keeps the linebackers honest.

Jayden DeLaura I really feel has a legit chance of winning the job next year. I know history of young qbs with Leach are not on his side, but I don't think Leach is high on Cooper. Several times Leach has mentioned Aaron Angelos as being the best QB on TNF. Plus Delaura can really run. How do you beat a team that rushes 3, besides running with a rb.....a QB who can actually run and keeps the linebackers honest.

I wanna see what he can do. A qb that can tuck and run, combined with MB, breaks defenses.

You will see a deep passing game. You will see WRs wide open all over the field.

You will see 4 DL instead of 3.

You will see LBs playing like LBs and not safeties.

A qb that can tuck and run changes everything for WSU.

Reactions: ShockandAweWSU
Plus UW has two corner safeties that are freshman yet we are throwing short crossing routes entire game. Would love to see what a mobile QB with a strong arm would do with Leach.

Its going to take more than that.

We STILL lack a 300+ lb NT who can play both gaps.
This defense does not go unless we have that player in place - he's the keystone.

Otherwise, ditch the fcking 34 and go back to something we can and have been able to recruit, the 43.

Reactions: royhobbs2
Jimmy Lake is a douche canoe with a punchable face.

However, it shouldn't be this hard to figure out what he's doing...the same thing every year.
Leach is paid $4 mill a year to make the Jimmy Lakes of the world look like the overpaid HS coaches they are. Instead he gives Lake a platform to toot his horn.

Reactions: BiggsCoug
Hopefully he signs. I have a bad feeling he’s gonna flip.

Reactions: Cougzz
This is what I wonder. ST has actually been pretty respectable this year, even outside of the FG game. Will that hold up next year? It's not the norm at WSU.

And it seems like the D couldn't get worse, but what reason do we have to believe it will get better? And does "better" mean we only give up 35 PPG in conference (it's 37 currently)?

On offense, we could have peak Adrian Peterson back there but it won't matter if we don't even try to establish the run game.

Harris is a good return man. ST should be fine.

Its going to take more than that.

We STILL lack a 300+ lb NT who can play both gaps.
This defense does not go unless we have that player in place - he's the keystone.

Otherwise, ditch the fcking 34 and go back to something we can and have been able to recruit, the 43.

4-2-5. Still gives Leach the speed he wants, and seems to fit what we’re recruiting better.

Reactions: royhobbs2
4-2-5. Still gives Leach the speed he wants, and seems to fit what we’re recruiting better.
My only issue with that, which is the same with the 335, is I think coaches get blinded by recruiting speed and end up with a roster full of (too) undersized players that can't lay the wood. We need to stop being gimmicky and acting like we're a gimmick school and get some BIG kids that are strong and/ or fast. Technique can be coached, size and speed can't.

Offense doesn't scare me. They left a buttload of plays on the field today. Damn difficult to beat a team like the mutts when turning the ball over 3 times. New QB who maybe is in that position for the next 3 years. We all set to forget Gordon is a first year QB.....and makes some of the mistakes most of them do.

The defense next year has me petrified. The team as a whole MUST get tougher. Leach complains about the team not being tough but what does he do to develop and reinforce it? The mutts look a lot tougher, physically and emotionally.

The Outlaw Josie Wales said it best: "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean".

My only issue with that, which is the same with the 335, is I think coaches get blinded by recruiting speed and end up with a roster full of (too) undersized players that can't lay the wood. We need to stop being gimmicky and acting like we're a gimmick school and get some BIG kids that are strong and/ or fast. Technique can be coached, size and speed can't.

The only solution is to land legit DTs. That will mask a lot of problems elsewhere.

Defense returns almost everyone, they are young. If nothing else they will be a year older.

There were receivers open all day today. Gordon’s biggest problem was holding onto the ball too long. The dink and dunk was there, but he got impatient.

Leach had the right Qb but choose the wrong QB to start again Sometimes he operates in a fugue like state with his QB s. He wants out but this showing may not have impressed the teams expressing an interest in him.

Leach had the right Qb but choose the wrong QB to start again Sometimes he operates in a fugue like state with his QB s. He wants out but this showing may not have impressed the teams expressing an interest in him.
“fugue-like state”—you need to come up with some new slogans.

Reactions: GrayOnGray

You have to get longer. 6’3”, unless you run really really well, isnt big enough. They need to get frames on the DL and grow them.

The kid from Indiana I like. He can run.

You would know fugue like states.

There were receivers open all day today. Gordon’s biggest problem was holding onto the ball too long. The dink and dunk was there, but he got impatient.
It's hard to see on TV whether that's the case or not, but I suspected it was. That's what that drop 8 forces you to do, be patient. Even accept punts. What you can't do is force off balance throws into no mans land and take sacks deep in your own territory holding the ball too long.

You have to get longer. 6’3”, unless you run really really well, isnt big enough. They need to get frames on the DL and grow them.

The kid from Indiana I like. He can run.

He’s six feet tall. Contradicting yourself, yet again.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT